WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked up Carlo Rossi wine.

It's available in 1.5L, 3.0L and 4.0L bottles. I looked up pictures, and the 1.5 is a regular wine bottle. It looks like the 3L is what she bought. So she may have had approximately 1.5L.

We need to pin down the 'average' effects of drinking that amount. That's about the amount of wine in a regular wine bottle.

I think different types of wine (red, white) might have different effects. The wine she bought appeared to be white. The whites that Carlo Rossi sells are: Chablis, Chardonnay, and Rhine.

http://www.carlorossi.com/the-wines/TheWines.html

Once we get the expected effects we can compare them against the symptoms she displayed, and against symptoms of concussion, stroke, etc.
Good thinking, and thanks for that info. And also, certain anti-anxiety meds, such as what RS told press she had been taking, have the side effects greatly increased if taken with red winehttp://healthed.aarphealthcare.com/ArticlePage.aspx?CategName=Depression&TopicName=Medications&ArticleTitle=antianxiety

Brain event symptoms

Diner employee comment:
http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/1...n-missing.html
- "Mom hit her head"
- appeared drunk
- wondered if she had a concussion

Other symptoms:
- disorientation
- frequent, long stops in vehicle
- unable to follow simple directions for short distances
- fell down outside diner

Possible nausea, vomiting
- left diner without food she'd paid for
- unexplained frequent, long stops while driving
- Williams said she looked as if she'd been crying. Typical symptoms of crying: Red, swollen, watery eyes and red runny nose.
- Typical symptoms after vomiting: red, swollen, watery eyes. Red, runny nose.
- bent over counter

Brain event symptoms

Diner employee comment:
http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/1...n-missing.html
- "Mom hit her head"
- appeared drunk
- wondered if she had a concussion

Other symptoms:
- disorientation
- frequent, long stops in vehicle
- unable to follow simple directions for short distances

Possible nausea, vomiting
- left diner without food she'd paid for
- unexplained frequent, long stops while driving
- Williams said she looked as if she'd been crying. Typical symptoms of crying: Red, swollen, watery eyes and red runny nose.
- Typical symptoms after vomiting: red, swollen, watery eyes. Red, runny nose.
- bent over counter
Wow, what a thorough and excellent list. And it does add up. I wonder if taking anti-stress meds due to the pending visit, which she may have been nervous about, could have led to her bumping her head. The combination leading to a "brain event". And then wine worsening it: Perhaps a glass of wine or two in an attempt to "come down" from the meds? And then furthering of nausea and disorientation. It is too bad she could not have been detained and checked somehow.

1.5 liters is twice the size of a regular bottle of wine and holds 10 5oz servings. There is no average effect for alcohol. An person with a high tolerance, for example an alcoholic that drinks every day, might show very little effect from drinking that much over a period of time. On the other hand someone with a low tolerance would be noticeably tipsy after 1 or 2 glasses.

I feel her bizarre behavior started well before the wine purchase on the video and she may well have already been drinking.

ss's repeated attempts at finding directions and announcing she was lost in several different public places could have placed her in a dangerous situation. Im hoping people from these places have been looked into as she would have been an easy target for a creep, whether a bystander or even someone giving her directions could have led her to the water such as an employee getting off of work, or even a connection of the home she stopped at ....just sayin....moo

:eek:fftopic::loser: I apologize to all if this is unwanted or off topic. I am a reflecting sort of person, become somewhat obsessive when thinking on a mystery, and sometimes use online Tarot cards as a contemplative tool (not as soothsaying oracle). I had asked about Shantina's psychological state on the day she and her son set off and received this:

The left card represents an important element of the past. Ten of Cups (Satiety): Fulfillment and joy in life and love. Feeling peace, tranquility, and contentment in friends and family. Taking delight in one's good fortune.

The middle card represents a deciding element of the present. Ace of Cups, when reversed: The seed of a destructive relationship or spiritual collapse. A missed opportunity for joy, contentment, fertility, or enlightenment. Failing to understand the emotional needs of those around you. May represent an unexpected message, a chance meeting, or the start of a friendship or romance.

The right card represents a critical element of the future. Two of Cups (Love), when reversed: Instability in romance, friendship, or business. A deep infatuation that excludes existing friends. A false promise or premature commitment. The entanglement of male and female interpreted in the broadest sense. The profaning of the sacred through the introduction of base desire. Folly, depletion, and waste. May suggest conflict, divorce, or a severing of ties.

1.5 liters is twice the size of a regular bottle of wine and holds 10 5oz servings. There is no average effect for alcohol. An person with a high tolerance, for example an alcoholic that drinks every day, might show very little effect from drinking that much over a period of time. On the other hand someone with a low tolerance would be noticeably tipsy after 1 or 2 glasses.

I feel her bizarre behavior started well before the wine purchase on the video and she may well have already been drinking.

ETA: n/m. Got my amounts mixed up. Sorry.

This page shows both 1.5L jug and 3L jug. I think she bought a 1.5L jug. Can someone else look please? I'm getting myself all confused. Obviously I'm not a wine drinker :)

http://www.licoresuniverso.com/cata...hp?categoria_id=15&subcategoria_id=39&lang=sp

I think it was the 1.5 liter also, BeanE.

Salem

I saw it in the local store yesterday. 1.5L.

Based on the size relative to the large shoe, I too think it was a 1.5L bottle. 5 glasses of wine over a 2 hour period is estimated to give a 140 lb woman a .096 BAC, so legally drunk in WA.

:eek:fftopic::loser: I apologize to all if this is unwanted or off topic. I am a reflecting sort of person, become somewhat obsessive when thinking on a mystery, and sometimes use online Tarot cards as a contemplative tool (not as soothsaying oracle). I had asked about Shantina's psychological state on the day she and her son set off and received this:

The left card represents an important element of the past. Ten of Cups (Satiety): Fulfillment and joy in life and love. Feeling peace, tranquility, and contentment in friends and family. Taking delight in one's good fortune.

The middle card represents a deciding element of the present. Ace of Cups, when reversed: The seed of a destructive relationship or spiritual collapse. A missed opportunity for joy, contentment, fertility, or enlightenment. Failing to understand the emotional needs of those around you. May represent an unexpected message, a chance meeting, or the start of a friendship or romance.

The right card represents a critical element of the future. Two of Cups (Love), when reversed: Instability in romance, friendship, or business. A deep infatuation that excludes existing friends. A false promise or premature commitment. The entanglement of male and female interpreted in the broadest sense. The profaning of the sacred through the introduction of base desire. Folly, depletion, and waste. May suggest conflict, divorce, or a severing of ties.

So in your opinion, what does all of this mean? TIA!

MOO
If she left home at 5 and called RS at 6:45 from Olympia - her trip was on track and that is the right amount of time it would have taken to get there. She said she stopped because Az was hungry. They did not show up at her first recorded stop until 7:50 (Handy Pantry). What happened between her call at 6:45 and her stop at 7:50? I believe this is when she could have had an "accident" and "hit her head". She was lost and asking for directions at this first stop. It would be nice to know where she made that call to RS from. There is a mall near where she may have exited and the Handy Pantry. I wonder if they stopped off there for a bit.

I really think either an accident occurred causing her to hit her head, or she had some kind of brain/neurological event as others have suggested, or a psychotic episode.

I wonder if mental illness runs in her family (such as bi-polar, causing her extreme highs and lows). Her mother committed suicide 4 years prior and she had not seen her step dad since. Did she blame him? This trip could definitely cause her extreme stress which is why she may have needed anti-anxiety meds. It could have also caused her to drink to settle her nerves. She could have been stalling or having second thoughts about continuing on to Castle Rock - she may have lost her nerve.

It could be a combination of all these things. MOO

So in your opinion, what does all of this mean? TIA!
Well, if I am to take an online oracle seriously - and part of me does, but part of me must remain tentative and cautious and respectful of cold hard facts - I would say that it indicates that she was in an upheaval, that she may have had a chance encounter, that she may have been on some kind of mission (NOT to get her and her son killed, but to hook up with someone to plan a future change?) that it all went dreadfully wrong, but there may be a huge piece of the puzzle missing? :waitasec:

FWIW, the memorial service was set back a week. Originally scheduled on 4/10.

ETA: I believe it's actually the 1.5L she bought. So she would have consumed half that, or .75L.

I agree.

I compared the bottle of wine in the picture that was posted here a few days ago, with the bottle of water that was also next to it on the picture.

Bottled waters (on average) come in 1/2 a litter (1 pint and .9 ounces.)

The size of the bottle of wine looked like three times that of the bottle of water, IMO.

That would make it about 1.5L.

I agree.

I compared the bottle of wine in the picture that was posted here a few days ago, with the bottle of water that was also next to it on the picture.

Bottled waters (on average) come in 1/2 a litter (1 pint and .9 ounces.)

The size of the bottle of wine looked like three times that of the bottle of water, IMO.

That would make it about 1.5L.
If this is true, then it would have held 10 5 oz. glasses of wine, of which about 5 had been drank. :waitasec: According to this info, anyway:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_glasses_of_wine_can_you_get_from_a_1.5_liter_bottle_of_wine

If she had drank 25 oz herself, in a 2 hour period she would be very impaired, in a 4 hour period somewhat impaired (but this does not take into account if she also combined it with anti-anxiety meds)
http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

ss's repeated attempts at finding directions and announcing she was lost in several different public places could have placed her in a dangerous situation. Im hoping people from these places have been looked into as she would have been an easy target for a creep, whether a bystander or even someone giving her directions could have led her to the water such as an employee getting off of work, or even a connection of the home she stopped at ....just sayin....moo
Right, this is a remote but REAL possibility, the facts notwithstanding...

Originally Posted by gypsyblue

Right, this is a remote but REAL possibility, the facts notwithstanding...

Another possibility: We do not know what happened between Shantina's stop at the William's home and her van being found the next morning. She very well could have stopped at another private location to seek further directions and/or help from an unsavory person. This person took the opportunity to commit an assault, drive to the beach and dispose of SS & AC as to leave no witnesses.

Another possibility: We do not know what happened between Shantina's stop at the William's home and her van being found the next morning. She very well could have stopped at another private location to seek further directions and/or help from an unsavory person. This person took the opportunity to commit an assault, drive to the beach and dispose of SS & AC as to leave no witnesses.
Yes, this IS a possibility. I even had a dream about it, not that that means anything, but yes, it is a possibility. What if her son awoke and drowned alone, as his mother was gone, with an unsavory person? I know it is less likely than the idea that they both woke together and drowned together---but , it may be different, in the end. Was the knocking at 1 am Azriel? Terrified as he woke up alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer