Kate McCann's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks very much written in retrospective to me.
Is this the Journal that GMs sister asked her to write?
The person who said Damage Limitation was right, too much unnecessary detail in parts.
And why did M pull away from KM when it was bedtime?

Yes badhorsie, this is the diary that Philomena suggested Kate keep. If I remember correctly, she started it after May 3rd but, I am not sure exactly when. It was reported a few times in September 2007 (see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1562994/Madeleine-McCann-What-the-police-want.html).

I have also read that this may not be the complete diary?? Waiting to hear more about that....

If you knew that you were about to be left alone again, in the dark, in unfamiliar surroundings, you would probably not be to happy at the prospect. Maybe even mad.

Yes, this is the journal she was supposedly told to write as a way of coping.

The other creepy remark I saw was "Gerry gave a great performance."

Maybe it's just an idiomatic kind of thing, but the use of the word "performance" was odd to me.

Poor Maddie. I hope she is discovered soon and brought home. I wish I could go to Portugal and look for her around the tressels.

Salem

I'd like to go too! I'd like to search for her in the hills where they jogged, Kate mentions it here:
MONDAY, JULY 23: I got up at 7.00 and went running. I was surrounded by a pack of dogs (more or less 12)—it really wasn’t a nice experience. I went to the flat, high part of the cliff as I felt really alone and a little frightened. Please God, don’t let Madeleine be buried here. Please God, make sure she’s alive. Please God, bring her back quickly to us.

Also around the very high hill with the monument on top.....

It's curious that she was wondering if Madeleine was buried near where she was jogging--why would she think that? If it was truly an abduction by a pedophile, why would that be her first thought?

I think the diary is filled with some truths and then the lies, a good lie always includes some truth.

She really doesn't know where Madeleine was buried, and so that was sincere.

It's curious that she was wondering if Madeleine was buried near where she was jogging--why would she think that? If it was truly an abduction by a pedophile, why would that be her first thought?

I think the diary is filled with some truths and then the lies, a good lie always includes some truth.

She really doesn't know where Madeleine was buried, and so that was sincere.

I think she knows exactly where Madeleine's body is Texana.
She is a conniving lady & introducing these red herrings is a conscious move. This "version" of the diary is for public consumption!

I think she knows exactly where Madeleine's body is Texana.
She is a conniving lady & introducing these red herrings is a conscious move. This "version" of the diary is for public consumption!

Possibly, but the idea that "they" (being Gerry and the Tapas party co-conspirators) had taken Madeleine and put her somewhere--with the expressed intent that "If we do this and you don't know, you'll be better able to pass any lie detector tests or anything like that."

She knows Madeleine is not alive and her remains are in some secret spot in Portugal or a nearby country.

But yes, overall, she is conniving in the sense that she is being deliberately deceitful in the diary.

After all, she knows "they are responsible parents" so anything she said or did to keep the twins would be reasonable. :furious:

Possibly, but the idea that "they" (being Gerry and the Tapas party co-conspirators) had taken Madeleine and put her somewhere--with the expressed intent that "If we do this and you don't know, you'll be better able to pass any lie detector tests or anything like that."

She knows Madeleine is not alive and her remains are in some secret spot in Portugal or a nearby country.

But yes, overall, she is conniving in the sense that she is being deliberately deceitful in the diary.

After all, she knows "they are responsible parents" so anything she said or did to keep the twins would be reasonable. :furious:

I suppose it is possible that they didn't tell her where the body is but I really doubt it. I mean if a lie detector test was involved then Gerry would have to pass also & there are other issues that would fail Kate unless she genuinely didn't know that Madeleine was dead which I don't believe. I still think that she knows exactly what happened every step of the way.

She is not only being deceitful in the diary she is trying to be manipulative but is so very transparent. The thing that gets me in all of this is how they can possibly believe that the public are so stupid not to see right through them! Darned writing in that diary is so staged it makes me ill! Definitely not the spontaneous writing as one would in a diary.

Yes, it definitely comes across as staged and stiff--I was trying to think what specifically makes it sound that way to me. Maybe it's just that overall it comes across as something written for other people to read, not a personal diary.

I'll read the excerpts again to see if I can put my finger on why it comes across that way.

"Brush teeth. To the bedroom with the kids. M pulls away and puts her head on pillow. Kisses goodnight for M. Pulled the door to as far as possible without shutting it. Silence.

Dry hair. Put make-up on. Glass of wine. Restaurant. "

I'm sorry but who really keeps a diary like this? Its totally daft! Glass of wine. restaurant ... do me a favour. It must have been written after the event, which means after Madeleine was 'missing' ... so WHY?

Its like me writing : Sat down at computer. Logged in to websleuths. Typed a message. Fed cat. Drank coffee.

"Brush teeth. To the bedroom with the kids. M pulls away and puts her head on pillow. Kisses goodnight for M. Pulled the door to as far as possible without shutting it. Silence.

Dry hair. Put make-up on. Glass of wine. Restaurant. "

I'm sorry but who really keeps a diary like this? Its totally daft! Glass of wine. restaurant ... do me a favour. It must have been written after the event, which means after Madeleine was 'missing' ... so WHY?

Its like me writing : Sat down at computer. Logged in to websleuths. Typed a message. Fed cat. Drank coffee.

Gatinho: while I totally agree with you, I must point out someone who really keeps a diary like this! Former Florida Senator Bob Graham is famous for his diaries- here's a sample:

12:20 p.m. to 1:20 p.m.: "Eat lunch (tuna salad). Watch Ace Ventura. 12:50: Cissy thinks she's going into labor. 1:15: Cissy preparing to leave for Baptist Hospital ... 1:30-1:45: Rewind Ace Ventura. 2:00: Adele [Graham's wife] ready to go. Drive to Baptist Hospital. 2:15: Stop at Blockbuster to return Ace Ventura." "At 5:30 I walked to my brothers house, rang the bell, and was let in. I visited with him because he's sick from 5:40 to 6:40. At 6:45 on the way home I visited the pharmacy and a suit sale at the place where I always get my suits. At 7:30 I went to the family room and tried on both suits. They fit..."

The log for Sept. 17, 2002, begins by noting his 6:50 a.m. wake-up call, followed by a weigh-in (181 pounds) and hair care: "6:50-7:00 Apply scalp medication." That's followed by more granular detail: "7:00-7:40 Kitchen -- brew coffee -- prepare and drink breakfast (soy, skim milk, OJ, peach, banana, blueberries), read Post, dress in gray suit."

I just think that if my child was missing writing in a diary would be the last thing on my mind! Ok some people find writing cathartic & it can be but when one's head is all messed up with trauma, an organised diary is imo not possible!
Kate's diary is just way too contrived, she writes the way I would write if I wanted to convey something to the reader not if I was writing for me from my heart!

Two things jumped out at me upon reading the diary excerpts again: Kate complaining that no one "introduced themselves" or "offered us food or a drink" at the police station. Do British police regularly offer tea or food or introductions all around? It seems so odd to me, but I'm allowing for cultural differences here perhaps?

The other thing she complains about is the statement that the crime scene was contaminated by the McCanns and their friends, and how angry that made her, how could anyone imply that they put their child in danger by their acts.

It is as if she just doesn't get it about leaving the children alone, not then, not ever. How can anyone question their parenting or their acts? It's appalling to her, it's infuriating.

Two things jumped out at me upon reading the diary excerpts again: Kate complaining that no one "introduced themselves" or "offered us food or a drink" at the police station. Do British police regularly offer tea or food or introductions all around? It seems so odd to me, but I'm allowing for cultural differences here perhaps?

The other thing she complains about is the statement that the crime scene was contaminated by the McCanns and their friends, and how angry that made her, how could anyone imply that they put their child in danger by their acts.

It is as if she just doesn't get it about leaving the children alone, not then, not ever. How can anyone question their parenting or their acts? It's appalling to her, it's infuriating.

Poor Kate, noone offered her food or drink! Most parents looking for a lost child would be so upset that food & drink would be the last things on their minds. Heard a mother speak, her teenage daughter went missing for ten days, she only had sips of water to keep her going while she searched the streets daily! So like Kate, NOT!

Oh how anyone could imply that leaving a 3 year old in charge of two, two year olds is wrong, I will never know!:rolleyes: The poor McCanns they really are the victims not poor little Madeleine! :rolleyes:

Poor Kate, noone offered her food or drink! Most parents looking for a lost child would be so upset that food & drink would be the last things on their minds. Heard a mother speak, her teenage daughter went missing for ten days, she only had sips of water to keep her going while she searched the streets daily! So like Kate, NOT!

Oh how anyone could imply that leaving a 3 year old in charge of two, two year olds is wrong, I will never know!:rolleyes: The poor McCanns they really are the victims not poor little Madeleine! :rolleyes:

I think the amazing thing wasn't that she was angry specifically at the contamination of the crime scene charge. She wrote that she was furious at the idea that she and Gerry could do ANYTHING that would put their child in danger.

As far as the food or drink goes, I just know if I needed something to drink like coffee or a soda or water, I guess I'd just ask. I wouldn't expect them to offer it to me, I'd ask if there was somewhere I could get some, or I'd call someone to bring me something, etc. It just seemed like an expectation of a certain kind of treatment that was not realistic or appropriate under the circumstances.

Also, if you look at the writing closely, there's nothing there that is in any sense revealing or personal. There just isn't anything that comes across as natural or not scripted. So one of two possibilities exists:

1) Kate is a very controlled, self-disciplined person, to the extent that writing this was like writing a doctor's report for her. Very factual, she makes an effort to write about Madeleine in an emotional way, but that's the only real hint of emotion. So it could be that Kate is just naturally this way, but that argues also for being self-controlled and self-disciplined enough to pull off hiding an accidental death.

2) Kate is writing all along only intending this as something to be published and released--a very self-conscious kind of memoir. It's not a real diary or journal for her feelings or releasing stress, it's meant from the beginning as something to be publicly released. A rather calculating publicity act, in that sense, but no different than other acts from the McCanns.

I think the amazing thing wasn't that she was angry specifically at the contamination of the crime scene charge. She wrote that she was furious at the idea that she and Gerry could do ANYTHING that would put their child in danger.

As far as the food or drink goes, I just know if I needed something to drink like coffee or a soda or water, I guess I'd just ask. I wouldn't expect them to offer it to me, I'd ask if there was somewhere I could get some, or I'd call someone to bring me something, etc. It just seemed like an expectation of a certain kind of treatment that was not realistic or appropriate under the circumstances.

Also, if you look at the writing closely, there's nothing there that is in any sense revealing or personal. There just isn't anything that comes across as natural or not scripted. So one of two possibilities exists:

1) Kate is a very controlled, self-disciplined person, to the extent that writing this was like writing a doctor's report for her. Very factual, she makes an effort to write about Madeleine in an emotional way, but that's the only real hint of emotion. So it could be that Kate is just naturally this way, but that argues also for being self-controlled and self-disciplined enough to pull off hiding an accidental death.

2) Kate is writing all along only intending this as something to be published and released--a very self-conscious kind of memoir. It's not a real diary or journal for her feelings or releasing stress, it's meant from the beginning as something to be publicly released. A rather calculating publicity act, in that sense, but no different than other acts from the McCanns.

I go with #2 Texana but also agree with this in #1 "Kate is just naturally this way, but that argues also for being self-controlled and self-disciplined enough to pull off hiding an accidental death."

As for any real emotion have you honestly seen any of that?

I go with #2 Texana but also agree with this in #1 "Kate is just naturally this way, but that argues also for being self-controlled and self-disciplined enough to pull off hiding an accidental death."

As for any real emotion have you honestly seen any of that?

Nope, not really. She's been consistently one way in every single public appearance and that's been backed up by the diary itself, oddly enough--that the public appearances were scripted and manipulated affairs.

Well, I take that back. The comments about missing Madeleine, could be very true emotions. I don't think those comments were faked, but I think that every single thing she wrote could have been said about an accidental death.

However, you contrast that emotion to the lack of emotion or any real sense of being open or natural in everything else written--it's a weird contrast.

It's like a floodgate about Madeleine but everything else is completely controlled and orderly.

And that sense of being relaxed with the twins--I think that's because everytime they are with the twins, going on with life--it reinforces for them that they made the right decision. All of the "for the twins" justifies what they had to do about Madeleine.

Nope, not really. She's been consistently one way in every single public appearance and that's been backed up by the diary itself, oddly enough--that the public appearances were scripted and manipulated affairs.

Well, I take that back. The comments about missing Madeleine, could be very true emotions. I don't think those comments were faked, but I think that every single thing she wrote could have been said about an accidental death.

However, you contrast that emotion to the lack of emotion or any real sense of being open or natural in everything else written--it's a weird contrast.

It's like a floodgate about Madeleine but everything else is completely controlled and orderly.

And that sense of being relaxed with the twins--I think that's because everytime they are with the twins, going on with life--it reinforces for them that they made the right decision. All of the "for the twins" justifies what they had to do about Madeleine.

Sadly Texana, I do think those comments (& the "floodgate") were faked for public consumption! Any mother who could not send a direct message to her missing daughter when asked on television to do so, in my book has no genuine feelings for that child. Remember her reply? - "She knows we love her" Any genuinely grieving parent would have sent a heartfelt message at that point!
I don't even want to think what I would say in that situation as it even makes me shudder to think that I would ever be in it but I can tell you that it would be a heart rending message to my child accompanied by floods of uncontrollable tears & not a virtual under the breath, like pulling teeth, grunt!

I tend to think that Madeleine was somewhat of an inconvenience in their lives!

Sadly Texana, I do think those comments (& the "floodgate") were faked for public consumption! Any mother who could not send a direct message to her missing daughter when asked on television to do so, in my book has no genuine feelings for that child. Remember her reply? - "She knows we love her" Any genuinely grieving parent would have sent a heartfelt message at that point!
I don't even want to think what I would say in that situation as it even makes me shudder to think that I would ever be in it but I can tell you that it would be a heart rending message to my child accompanied by floods of uncontrollable tears & not a virtual under the breath, like pulling teeth, grunt!

I tend to think that Madeleine was somewhat of an inconvenience in their lives!

I hear you. That is a big point for me, too, the huge contrast between the words she wrote and what she said publicly.

I've always thought that "She knows we love her" comment was the proof that Madeleine was no longer living. She could not bring herself to actively lie and talk to Madeleine (especially believing as a Catholic that prayers could still aid Maddie) as if she was living, so she went with the only truthful comment she could make.

I think you are actually right as well, about the inconvenience. The McCanns struggled with the reality of children but weren't willing to either go with bringing along a nanny or going on holiday without children--they wanted that "family first" appearance but they didn't really want to have that kind of holiday. They feel very, very justified in how they vacationed and would be horrified to be presented with the fact that they wanted exactly the same lifestyle that upper-class British people had decades ago--one where the children interacted not that much with their parents. The McCanns did a bit more than that previous generation, but overall, they had much the same attitude.

I think that some of the emotion about missing Madeleine was genuine, but that doesn't excuse Kate in any way. If Madeleine truly was a more difficult baby and toddler, then a lot of guilt is wrapped up in those comments about how much she's missed.

I've got a couple of relatives who are more along the lines of the McCanns (although thankfully not that bad) in terms of parenting skills. They do love their children.

They're just not capable of THAT much love for their children, or sacrificing for them. It's just not in them. In that sense, yes, there's some genuine emotion from Kate about Madeleine. But at the same time, there's such a sense of Me-Kate, and I'm a Great Parent--that compared to most people it looks slim and none.

Do they have to give permission for publishing anything from the PJ files I wonder. In fact I rather believe they wanted this dross published and this is just a way of keeping in the headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77