Identified! UT - Salt Lake Co., WhtFem 200UFUT 'Saltair Sally', 17-23, Oct'00 - Nikole Bakoles

It's interesting when you compare the UID stats with those of Nikole:
Est. Time of death/Date LKA:
UID: About 1998 (about 2 years prior to discovery)
NKB: March 2000 (7 months prior to discovery)​

NKB: 20​

Height:
UID: 5'0-5'3"
NKB: 5'5"​

Weight:
UID: 80-100 lbs.
NKB: 105 lbs.​

Hair:
UID: Brown
NKB: "Strawberry Blonde"​

Physical Anomalies:
UID: top vertebrae did not fuse correctly which may have caused a slight physical deformity.
NKB: No Mention of spinal deformities​

Childbirth History:

UID: No Mention of skeletal indications of prior pregnancy
NKB: Bore at least one child by c-section.​

nice summary Carl, add to that the bust of the UID did not look all that much like Nicole (at least in my eyes) and it makes you wonder how hard it is for anyone to make a match even without the DNA. they were off by about a year and a half on the estimated date of death, off by least 2" on the high end of their height estimate and then the hair color (brown vs. strawberry/blonde).

on this one the fundamentals worked best (a young woman about the right age with ties to the area who vanished) as opposed to all those stats from the "experts".

nice summary Carl, add to that the bust of the UID did not look all that much like Nicole (at least in my eyes) and it makes you wonder how hard it is for anyone to make a match even without the DNA. they were off by about a year and a half on the estimated date of death, off by least 2" on the high end of their height estimate and then the hair color (brown vs. strawberry/blonde).

on this one the fundamentals worked best (a young woman about the right age with ties to the area who vanished) as opposed to all those stats from the "experts".

Although she didn't look like the color recon more commonly seen, she does look pretty close (in terms of facial shape) to the CT Scan facial recon.

Saltair%2BSally%2Breconstruction.jpg
nikolebakoles_001.JPG

One would think that if they didn't have dental records or DNA, at least they should have known that Nikole was a good possible due to the gap between her #6 and #7 teeth.

on the one hand a reconstruction gives us a visual which is great. on the other hand if they are off then it totally throws people off the mark.

the one on the left looks so life-like, even down to the shine of her hair and you think wow! then you get the second bust which does look more like Nikole's face but the drab clay appearance is devoid of any living qualities.

the height really was a throw off too. Nikole was 5'5" and they gave the range as 5'0" to 5'3" and if you average that out to 5' 1.5 inches we are off by 3 1/2 inches which is a significant difference.

Wow... I have not followed this case, but it is a great example of why UID cases should be matched with missing people statistics with a HUGE allowance for errors in height, hair color, eye color, surgical scars, etc. There is often a HUGE disconnect between the UID basic information and the Real Life information of the missing person. That is what makes the identification of UID's SO HARD, and why it is SO important to have all of the dedicated people like the people here at WS's constantly looking and evaluating!!! Glad that this case has been resolved. I hope they find out what happened to her. She reminds me a lot of a niece who lives her life in a precarious manner..... Glad the family knows where Nikole is, and now I hope they get justice for what happened to her. It is also really sad that she wasn't even reported missing for at least 3 years after she disappeared? Big Sigh.....

This has been another one of my "pet cases" that I have been hoping would be solved. I don't think I ever compared Nikole Bakoles to the UID, because I didn't think the characteristics between the two were close.

I am glad Nicole's family finally has closure, I just hope they are able to find who did this to her.

RIP Nikole.

It is frustrating to think that the noted identifiers could lead one so off track. I have seen so many inconsistencies that now I am determined to rely more on distance between Missing LKC to location of UID than any other factor. For Pete's Sake, the family even suspected it was their loved one, why should she go unidentified for so long?

You know, this case brings up a point that I wish that we could do something about. For all of those missing people that are listed without DNA on file, I think that the families should be given a reminder that it would be a good idea to get DNA submitted. I know that it costs, but isn't it worth it for the chance that there could be a match made in some cold cases?

UID: top vertebrae did not fuse correctly which may have caused a slight physical deformity.
NKB: No Mention of spinal deformities

This is understandable. Many people (especially younger folks) don't realize that they have a deformity such as this. Most people only find out if they happen to get an x-ray of that area of their body, or if they start to develop pain as they get older. I have a similar deformity in my spine, and I only found out about it in my early 30s.

Nikole came up for me today in a random Google search.

You are not forgotten. :rose:

Old article from 2012 about Nikole and her life

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/renton-family-seeks-help-in-solving-years-old-killing/

Authorities in Utah say the family didn’t report her missing until 2003, but the woman’s relatives say they called authorities — first in Washington state — early on and even hired a private investigator but made little headway without knowing her address in Utah or having proof she had even vanished.

“There’s no way to file a missing report on an adult who just doesn’t call you,” James Bakoles said.

The woman’s mother, Nancy Bakoles, said she never got over the anxiety of wondering what happened to her daughter.

“For the last 12 years and every day, I’ve been worried about, ‘Is she safe?’ ” said Nancy Bakoles, also of Renton. “I called her my born-again hippie. She sort of was a flower child.”
more at link

RIP Nikole ...

Looking around on FB, looks like her mother just recently passed (Dec 2017) - there was a really cute picture of Nikole and siblings when they were young kids on her mother's FB page too ..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back