Found Deceased - Michaela "Mickey" Schunick, 21, 7 August, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well perhaps they made him sit there and watch the whole thing. I'm sure they had to do the digging and removal very slowly as to not damage anything. I hope they made him look at the body too! (sorry to be gross but I hope they did)

Doubt it. The fact that he visited her body several times tells me that he would enjoy spending time out there. I don't even think they brought him out there, just got the info from him.

Not sure the LSU Faces Lab could help determine cause of death. I would think the ME would be the one to do that.

Then the ME can get in his car and drive over there.

Excuse me if I am wrong but I am assuming that all of these people are working together to identify and collect evidence of crimes. Why is everybody so shocked about where they took her? Where did you think that they would do all of this testing (dna,dental,etc.)

smart of them, get it all done in one place in a timely fashion and get her back to her family.

They do much more than just identification. When only a skeleton remains it is sent there so they can try to determine cause and time of death along with identification.

What do forensic anthropologists do?

They use techniques employed by physical anthropologists to identify human skeletal remains. They analyze skeletal remains to build a profile consisting of age, race, sex, height, presence or absence of trauma, and time since death. The purpose of the profile is to aid law enforcement in positive identification of an individual when no other means are available. Sometimes it is not possible to gather all of the pertinent information because the remains may be badly damaged or fragmented. Whenever possible, however, forensic anthropologists create a detailed profile of the remains, with the ultimate goal of positive identification.

What is the difference between forensic anthropology and forensic pathology?

A forensic anthropologist is a physical anthropologist with specialized training in osteology and/or skeletal biology. Forensic pathologists are medical doctors that specialize in forensic pathology. They perform autopsies in order to establish the cause of death. Forensic anthropologists concentrate mainly on bony anatomy, whereas, forensic pathologists concentrate on soft tissue anatomy, internal organs, bodily fluids, etc.

I read that and understand that it is the forensic pathologist, not anthropologists who determine cause of death. I also noted on the LSU Faces Lab website there are no pathologists listed, only anthropologists. Could be the ME will have a look when Faces Lab is finished??

Goodness, so much to process in less than 24 hours. First, I want to add my thoughts and prayers to MS's family and close friends; and my THANKS to everyone who has worked so hard to find the truth and MS over these past weeks (LE, volunteers, searchers, community, and all on WS, etc.)

On a light note... just 2 days ago the chatter here in the Thread was that the sub-forums was not really a welcomed change by some posters and that many had dropped away. See the spike now that there was breaking news? Right now WS is showing 87 members and 127 guests viewing this Thread.

Answers will come in time. This case is moving much faster than many others. I believe we will have our questions and speculations answered in time. I am in the group that thinks there may likely be additional BSL victims. If so, hopefully that will come to light in the days to come also. My speculation on this (MOO) - if BSL has in fact "broken" and told.... he very well may figure the gig is up this time and he is ready to tell (so he can become famous). We shall see. I believe so much will come out and my bet is on sooner than later.

A thought for now - WS folks encouraged several posters to "report something to the tip line or to LE". Maybe the tip came from one of those folks that "put LE on to BSL". I recall (very vague recall) that someone posted in here about a DWT that was found burned out in TX. I do believe that person was encouraged to call or did call as a tip. Anyone remember more details on that?

Finally, R.I.P. Mickey... I believe 2 angels were with you when you took your final breath and they took you into Glory. They continue to comfort you as you see the sadness and pain of your loss here on earth. Bless you and your family.

Why do you think he went back to visit her body..they said it was buried pretty deep

I read that and understand that it is the forensic pathologist, not anthropologists who determine cause of death. I also noted on the LSU Faces Lab website there are no pathologists listed, only anthropologists. Could be the ME will have a look when Faces Lab is finished??

Good point, unless there is very little tissue remaining or their is clear trauma - blunt force, stabbing, strangulation. Wasn't FACES involved in determining strangulation in the Pate case?

Among the services offered by the FACES Lab:

Analysis of Antemortem, Perimortem & Postmortem Trauma

http://www.lsu.edu/faceslab/Law/Lab_Services.htm

Of course, the anthropologists could tell if any bones were broken, skull fractured, hyoid fractured, but so could the pathologist. Am wondering if the ME/coroner thought these remains may have been in the ground longer than the time Mickey has been missing.

If Mickey's body is in such an advanced state of decomp, wouldn't that suggest that her body hadn't been buried underground the entire time? I didn't think it would be unrecognizable so soon if underground the entire time.
If the body weren't in some sort of container, it would probably decompose sooner, even if underground.

Is FACES is an acronym for something else?

I don't believe it is an acronym. A major part of their work is to reconstruct a face over the skull of a deceased person to help make identification.

What I found most interesting about all of this is on page 7 where LE is using a statement BSL made on April 20th against him -- a month before the kidnapping and murder of MS.

Not sure if this is within rules, so please delete if not okay to post this.

There were posts on another site, from someone (First name starts with A) regarding his sister (or sil) dating BSL. Could this be from when they confronted him about his RSO status? Seems like the dates sort of correlate. I can't seem to find the post now however. I recall reading that A started putting 2 and 2 together and supposedly called police to alert them to his suspicions. Maybe he said something about Lisa, or even just denying his involvement in any crimes. I didn't take away from the paperwork that was specifically in relation to MS.

Could it be possible that Mickey had never been to a dentist?

I swear I saw pictures of Mickey somewhere and she had braces. Maybe on Charlie's facebook before it was set to private?

ETA: I mean she had them when she was younger, not when she was kidnapped.

Doubt it. The fact that he visited her body several times tells me that he would enjoy spending time out there. I don't even think they brought him out there, just got the info from him.

Has it been confirmed he visited her body? I haven't seen anything regarding this.

Then the ME can get in his car and drive over there.

Excuse me if I am wrong but I am assuming that all of these people are working together to identify and collect evidence of crimes. Why is everybody so shocked about where they took her? Where did you think that they would do all of this testing (dna,dental,etc.)

smart of them, get it all done in one place in a timely fashion and get her back to her family.

That is not the shocking part...what was shocking was an article posted this morning that they had to do facial reconstruction in order to identify her due to degree of composition. That in itself does not make sense, when they have access to familial DNA, etc...

Where did they find Lisa's body? Was it near a cemetery and had he buried her also? tia

Pate, 35, was reported missing in June 1999. Her body was found three months later under large boards in a field in Acadia Parish near Church Point -- a town about 12 miles from Lawtell, Lavergne's home.

:

Been away from WS for a few days. I'm relieved that Mickey has been found. Rest in peace Mickey! <3 I'm also relieved her body was found in a somewhat respectable place and position in the cemetery - she could have been found in a much more gruesome manner which would be even harder for her family (not that what happened to her wasn't sad and gruesome already). I'm shocked that BSL led LE to where she was, I thought he would stay quiet for years - he must realize that there is no way he is getting out of this one.

Rest in peace Mickey.

That is not the shocking part...what was shocking was an article posted this morning that they had to do facial reconstruction in order to identify her due to degree of composition. That in itself does not make sense, when they have access to familial DNA, etc...

IMO, the article assumed facial reconstruction because it was going to FACES lab, but, again in imo, the article was probably wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine