Who believes that Cindy should be prosecuted for perjury? Or is it just me...?

EXACTLY!! In that case, also, no cause of death could be determined. There is actually more evidence in this case, I believe.

The Peterson parents were reviled and hated and despised. Sort of the way I feel about the Ants......:cursing:

I respectfully disagree I never once saw Jackie or Lee Peterson cry over the loss of their grandchild and the way they treated Sharon Rocha was almost criminal MOO of course

LinasK, I'm not saying that whatever perjury CA (I don't know about GA) committed was "okay." I'm saying that putting grieving grandparents in jail for trying to keep their daughter alive is too much.

On the whole, their testimony was NOT helpful to KC. While still on the stand, GA basically said KC was guilty. They will have to live with that for the rest of their lives (along with anything they may have done that helped to trigger the murder itself). Enough is enough!

From The Merchant of Venice:

PORTIA
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes....
Nova, I'm familiar with The Merchant of Venice. I saw the movie. I don't believe the law is formulated to give mercy under these circumstances. Yes The Anthony's lost a granddaughter- but the murderer is their daughter. Caylee died at her hands, and her parents should Not be covering for her. By doing so, they are saying Caylee as a victim had less rights because she was only 2 years old and her life didn't matter! (If I have typos right now, bear with me- I'm having computer problems- think I'm getting hacked again!)UGH!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

her testimony was much broader. She said whenever those searches were made she made them and so she was at home whenever that was. The fact that it could be shown when they were made did not change her testimony-she still insists, despite all evidence to the contrary, that she was at home making those searches. What this proves to me is that it is not a recall/date mistake issue but a deliberate and intentional lie. She did not, and could not have made those searches. They were made only at two specific points in time and she was at home during neither. The rest of her testimony is similarly untruthful. There was no search for chlorophyl, no pop up skateboarder, no search for bamboo, no search for hand sanitizer and on and on. All lies.

That doesn't prove that she doesn't honestly believe she made that search three years ago on the days in question. An error is not the same as a lie.

(Do I think she lied? Sure. But proving it beyond a reasonable doubt is something else entirely.)

Since the judge has had to bring two spectators down for sentencing, one for an outburst and the other for using his middle finger, yes she should be punished. Otherwise, it lets people think they can lie in a courtroom under oath and get away with it. But, I think George lied, too.

I agree Nova, but perhaps you should review the multitude of testimony she has given in the past and keep a notebook at your side to document all her iconsistencies...
I think the mere fact that she gave LE a brush that was ICAs and not precious Caylees for DNA was the point where i would have said "enough" if I was LE. BUT, they gave her the benefit of the doubt and that was their worst mistake. She took this as getting away with yet one more lie and ran with it!!
i won't even mention the money aspect. They need to be investigated for that as well.
Sorry.. I really have no sympathy for her....

Point taken. I don't pretend to remember all her many depos and trips to the stand. I've mostly been discussing her testimony re computer searches, since that seems to be the latest thing that has everyone upset with her.

What would she hope to accomplish by giving LE the wrong brush? I've heard of this before, but never understood the point of that. Surely LE was bound to find out the truth, sooner or later.

And I admit i don't know anything about finances or what the As have done with contributions.

I believe you that you have good reason to have run out of sympathy. But that still leaves the difficulty of proving perjury and the impossibility of our court system coping if every lie on the stand were prosecuted.

I personally believe Cindy lost her "grieving grandma" status when she sold the 1st pic among many of Caylee. Living off the blood of your grandchild is NOT grieving in my world.

Much of the monies were undoubtedly used on P.I's and other sources investigating the whereabouts of Caylee since they could not believe the unthinkable that ICA murdered their granddaughter in the beginning..

AZLawyer and SoCalLawyer have explained repeatedly on the lawyer's thread that it simply isn't possible to prosecute every family member who lies for a relative. The entire court system would grind to a halt. For one thing, perjury is almost impossible to prove, no matter how much posters here think they "know" CA lied on purpose.

In my experience, jurors are instructed to consider that a witness may be biased and to take that bias into consideration when weighing the testimony.

I was a juror on a murder case where the killer was claiming self-defense. The victim was unarmed, but the killer's best friend testified that he had heard the victim say he was going to "shoot" the defendant. A crowd was present and nobody else heard the remark. So we jurors just figured the friend was trying to help the defendant and ignored that testimony. THAT's how perjury is usually handled and that's probably what the jury will do in this case. They'll recognize that a mother wanted to save her child.

That's taking a chance...that the jury will ignore her. She lied about a crucial piece of evidence AGAIN! How much did this lie cost? I'm betting a whole lot. Who gets to pay for it..again the taxpayers. The effort and costs put forth to squash that lie must have been a small fortune. I'm sick of her behavior. She feel enititled and that is how she raised casey. Neither give a thought about others not do they care what amount of money it takes to argue their lies. I don't expect anything to come of it but I wish they would slam her with some monetary punishment.

It is with good reason that cindy keeps a criminal defense attorney in her back pocket.

imo, ca was chief enabler of the behavior that led to caylee's death.

certainly i do not believe that she ever dreamed it would end up as it did, but that doesn't change the fact that she enabled ca's behavior.

just today i read the emails ca's brother rick sent her early on. he was basically calling her out even then, telling her to get a clue.....she hadn't even seen this nanny....she couldn't tell him anything about her.....and he was adamant that casey needed to own up and tell the truth and ca needed psychiatric treatment to deal with her denial.

i've come to the conclusion that ca needs to be charged, whether the state wants to charge her or not. i don't say so be cruel, but rather, i happen to think it's in her own best interest, her husband and son's best interest....and god knows....it's in the best interest of any future grandchildren she may have one day.

Nova, I'm familiar with The Merchant of Venice. I saw the movie. I don't believe the law is formulated to give mercy under these circumstances. Yes The Anthony's lost a granddaughter- but the murderer is their daughter. Caylee died at her hands, and her parents should Not be covering for her. By doing so, they are saying Caylee as a victim had less rights because she was only 2 years old and her life didn't matter! (If I have typos right now, bear with me- I'm having computer problems- think I'm getting hacked again!)UGH!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I knew you would recognize the passage. I do try to play to the audience at hand. :)

I understand what you are saying, but GA pretty much said KC was guilty on the stand. If he and CA are trying to save KC from the needle, that isn't quite the same as trying to save her from all punishment.

CA could have lied about the alleged attempted incest by LA, for example, and she refused to do so. GA could have "confessed" to finding Caylee drowned accidentally in the pool and he refused to do so.

So the As have drawn lines. If they've also crossed lines in an effort to save their daughter's life, they were wrong, I suppose; but I can understand their motivation.

I respectfully disagree I never once saw Jackie or Lee Peterson cry over the loss of their grandchild and the way they treated Sharon Rocha was almost criminal MOO of course

In fairness, they never got to meet Conner. (If they mistreated Ms. Rocha, I certainly won't defend them.)

Much of the monies were undoubtedly used on P.I's and other sources investigating the whereabouts of Caylee since they could not believe the unthinkable that ICA murdered their granddaughter in the beginning..
I know what you are saying and it may have been very difficult in the beginning. BUT..I don't think for one minute think cindy would spend a dime of her own money on any such thing. If any were ever paid, it would have been donations.Baez and his gang and cindy and her gang kept the LE working 24/7 on leads that they both knew were false. pitiful!

They had a memorial for Caylee paid for by generous donors. What did they do? All three turned around and said Caylee was alive. This was said while they were still wearing the cremated ashes on their bodies. pitiful!

I cannot allow myself to ever feel sorry for these people. I just think back at all they have done and all they have accepted from good-hearted people. pitiful!

BTW..any word on that bass boat they bought for searching for missing children?
'
I believe she should be held accountable but doubt she will. That is why she has an attorney and has always had one for the past three years. How many grandmothers need an attorney when their grandchild is murdered?

Point taken. I don't pretend to remember all her many depos and trips to the stand. I've mostly been discussing her testimony re computer searches, since that seems to be the latest thing that has everyone upset with her.

What would she hope to accomplish by giving LE the wrong brush? I've heard of this before, but never understood the point of that. Surely LE was bound to find out the truth, sooner or later.
DNA confusion.

Yes, I know Cindy is grieving grandparent and is also grieving the inevitable loss of her daughter which she tried to prevent by lying on the witness stand. However, Cindy's behavior, in my opinion, is indicative of why Caylee is deceased, people are camping outside the courtroom, George was near suicide and all of here at WS can't tear ourselves away from this trial along with many others across the nation. Cindy has never allowed Casey to suffer any consequences for her behavior and actions for she has been forever coddled. Cindy was well aware that Casey killed the baby--the unthinkable--and yet Cindy still protects her as she risks her own freedom. Is that love? Is that truly a demonstration of a mother's love? No. That is the ultimate demonstration of co-dependency. I don't say that Cindy should turn her back on her. Allowing your child to take responsibility and deal with consequences is in now way turning your back but instead it builds positive character. Casey's character sucks and so does Cindy's and she needs to suffer the consequences for her behavior and actions in this matter as well. She knew she was lying to the court and breaking the law and it did not matter to her. She was willing to take a chance and face prosecution so that's what should happen--and I think she should get the maximum sentence too.

What do you think?

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well said! The only way the cycle of dysfunction can be broken is for both CA and ICA to learn there are consequences ... And for all others to learn from that. Enforcing the Law is as much about setting an example and preserving standards so we can be a functioning society. There are lessons to be learnt from this else we are on a dangerous path.

AZLawyer and SoCalLawyer have explained repeatedly on the lawyer's thread that it simply isn't possible to prosecute every family member who lies for a relative. The entire court system would grind to a halt. For one thing, perjury is almost impossible to prove, no matter how much posters here think they "know" CA lied on purpose.

In my experience, jurors are instructed to consider that a witness may be biased and to take that bias into consideration when weighing the testimony.

I was a juror on a murder case where the killer was claiming self-defense. The victim was unarmed, but the killer's best friend testified that he had heard the victim say he was going to "shoot" the defendant. A crowd was present and nobody else heard the remark. So we jurors just figured the friend was trying to help the defendant and ignored that testimony. THAT's how perjury is usually handled and that's probably what the jury will do in this case. They'll recognize that a mother wanted to save her child.

I agree with you, Nova. I don't think she will be charged with perjury. It just doesn't happen often at all.

For the sake of argument, I think the operative word in the title of this thread is - should. Whether she should be prosecuted for perjury and whether she will be prosecuted are 2 entirely different issues.

Carry on. lol

There is a dedicated portion of the trial for Cindy to plead for KC's life, it's there for a purpose. Instead, she chose to take the stand and insist on a total fabrication that the State had to pay dearly in man hours and expenses to reveal.

What she did was shameful and illegal, and don't think for a minute think that the man who watches the pennies didn't notice that costly folly. No way.

moo

Well, I think "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" applies here.
In other words , you can not blame a mother for trying to avoid DP for a child from the start, not afterwards.
Maybe if DP was not on the table, her actions would have been different.
No court will prosecute her for any alleged lies/obstruction IMO. And rightly so.

Cindy's actions have never been in the best interest of Casey. LE told George and Cindy if Cindy did not STOP what she was doing it was going to be bad for Casey, you know the daughter she loves so much...and it was going to make it so Caylee would never be found. Let me repeat that, LE told Cindy Anthony and George Anthony that if CINDY continued behaving in the manner that she had been that it was going to cause TERRIBLE consequences and she did not stop.

It is being said that those who feel what Cindy has done is wrong, the lying is just the icing on the cake- are being "cruel" or do not have sympathy-so to me it is a case of blaming the messenger. :twocents:

BBM~

I think that you meant to say in the best interest of Caylee, but I got it. I agree with everything you said...and I have been feeling exactly like you do for years...

Something changed inside of me during this trial. Especially when we found out about the dead pets, and now I am convinced that ICA killed the Mama and Baby Cockers that died within 6 months of each other. Call it an epiphany if you will, but I feel like that bit of info made me think about how crazy life with Casey had to be, and what this family has been dealing with most likely for many years.

I make no excuses for CA or GA...especially in light of the VENOM that CA spewed towards so many people innocent in this mess, in the effort to deflect attention away from her daughter. Quite frankly, I wish CA WOULD be charged with something, be it perjury, obstruction of justice, tampering with evidence, accessory after the fact even. Because there is no doubt in my mind that CA KNEW Caylee was dead at the time she put that posting on Myspace. The confirmation of her worst fears came when they got the car back.

I believe that CA has been cleaning up ICA's messes for so many years that it is a conditioned response for her. And GA goes along with the program because he lost his manhood years ago to CA and ICA. CA could not face the fact that ICA is what she is, even though it was there, right in front of her for all these years, IMO. At some point CA made the decision that if the family continued to pretend that ICA was normal, that somehow, she would be. Talk about 'magical thinking'? CA knows it all too well. One thing that troubles me is that as far as I know the family never sought any type of mental health help for ICA, even though it was very evident to the extended family that ICA had A LOT of problems.

Personally, I have backed off of judging them too harshly because it is now apparent to me that this family has been victimized by ICA for years. I don't know what it is like to live with a sociopath in my family, let alone one of my children. I feel like GA has finally seen the light, but CA is still in that crazy state between knowing what ICA is, as opposed to what she wants her to be. I pray for these people, I really do, because I believe that they probably really WERE the all-American family at one point, until the full tilt boogie crazy set in. IMO, the dysfunction is probably due to living for years with a sociopath and not the other way around.

All of THAT being said, I really hope that ALL of the innocent people whose names have been smeared throughout this sue the pants off of them, so that they never make a dime off of Caylee's death. JMO...:twocents:

Well, I think "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" applies here.
In other words , you can not blame a mother for trying to avoid DP for a child from the start, not afterwards.
Maybe if DP was not on the table, her actions would have been different.
No court will prosecute her for any alleged lies/obstruction IMO. And rightly so.

It's unfortunate CA's pleas during the penalty phase may fall on insulted ears... there are many reasons there are laws against perjury. mo :cool:

~Respectfully snipped~
Moreover, whatever harm she did was cured by the State in its rebuttal.

I agree that CA should not be prosecuted and I do feel very, very badly for her.

I also agree, that legally, in front of the jury, the state cured CA lies.

But.... I think the harm goes well past the legal issues and I wonder if the jury will be compassionate when reflecting on CA's testimony and the rebuttal.

I really think that CA did more harm than good to ICA. The jury will now have the importance of those chloroform (sp?) searches "etched" in their minds - where before the jury heard the testimony and may not have given it as much importance. The searches were 3 months prior to Caylee "going missing." Now, however, it seems to me that the importance has been drilled in and there will be no glossing over the facts.

I'm sad for CA, GA and LA.

Salem

I have to wonder how many, of those who have stated that they'd lie if it were their child facing the DP and/or understand Cindy doing so, would be so understanding if the victim had been their own child who was horrifically murdered and the mother of the alleged killer standing trial lied for her son/daughter on the stand? I think not. Why is it more understandable and/or acceptable in this case? Just because Caylee (the murdered victim) was Cindy's (the liar's) grandchild and Casey (the alleged murderer) is her daughter? I can't help but think of Jessica Lundsford and how Couey's family member(s) lied for him, thereby obstructing justice. Is that forgivable? I think not! Forget about Cindy's lying for the purpose of saving Casey from the DP, what if her lies got Casey acquitted and Casey went free only to kill again somewhere down the road and the next time the victim was someone in your family - would you be as understanding then? JMO~

Well said. Perhaps if others veiw it from the above perspective, they will understand why Cindy should be held accountable for perjury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back