NJ NJ - Depford, WhtFem 16-20, UP1489, in woods, pearl necklace, sweatpants, Feb'90

I put this together for someone I contacted about this who expressed doubts that police in the past refused to take missing persons reports and all missing persons reports were not put into the national databases. I also sent a link to the article on the Moorestown girl dismissed as a runaway (link found in this thread).

This article, http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/articles/nj-law-requires-police-to-take-missing-person-reports is about a NJ law passed in 2008 requiring that police take missing persons reports. It does not say they have to at some point place those people on the national missing persons databases. The article indicates that there are over 1,500 missing persons and 272 unidentified bodies in NJ. There are 147 missing people and 257 unidentified bodies listed on the NJ State Police's Missing Persons site. Given that the number of unidentified bodies may have gone down since the article was written, it seems that it is much more likely that a body will be added to the databases. The number of missing most surely has changed too, but I doubt it went from 1,500 to 272 in 5 years. Anyone that police refused to take a missing persons report on, because they were "runaways" or adults that left on their own, would not have made it into the tally at all.

I had noticed what appears to be a statistical anomaly for NJ in this search before. Looking at the Doe Network for missing women for all of the 1980s, I get an answer of NONE! There are 11 missing men. Either women were much safer than in other states, their cases were cleared faster than men's, or their disappearances were not taken as seriously. If I had the statistical chops, I would love to compare the number of reported missings to the population across states. It might help highlight where the missing missings are.

I put this together for someone I contacted about this who expressed doubts that police in the past refused to take missing persons reports and all missing persons reports were not put into the national databases. I also sent a link to the article on the Moorestown girl dismissed as a runaway (link found in this thread).

This article, http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/articles/nj-law-requires-police-to-take-missing-person-reports is about a NJ law passed in 2008 requiring that police take missing persons reports. It does not say they have to at some point place those people on the national missing persons databases. The article indicates that there are over 1,500 missing persons and 272 unidentified bodies in NJ. There are 147 missing people and 257 unidentified bodies listed on the NJ State Police's Missing Persons site. Given that the number of unidentified bodies may have gone down since the article was written, it seems that it is much more likely that a body will be added to the databases. The number of missing most surely has changed too, but I doubt it went from 1,500 to 272 in 5 years. Anyone that police refused to take a missing persons report on, because they were "runaways" or adults that left on their own, would not have made it into the tally at all.

I had noticed what appears to be a statistical anomaly for NJ in this search before. Looking at the Doe Network for missing women for all of the 1980s, I get an answer of NONE! There are 11 missing men. Either women were much safer than in other states, their cases were cleared faster than men's, or their disappearances were not taken as seriously. If I had the statistical chops, I would love to compare the number of reported missings to the population across states. It might help highlight where the missing missings are.

According to my list (which includes MP's listed in at least one of the four major sites (Charley Project, DoeNetwork, NAMPN, or NamUs), there are 142 males and 110 females missing from New Jersey between 1962 and today.

In Charley Project, there are six women from NJ missing from NJ in the 1980's. (Five of them are also listed in NamUs).
Carlease Sims (NamUs UP 14161)
Theresa Kawash (NamUs UP 19060)
Lola Carney (Not in NamUs)
Evelyn Paige Fox (NamUs UP 15099)
Bonita Sanders (NamUs UP 6622)
Melissa Diane McGuinn (NamUs UP 6381)

Broken down by state, I have the following:

Alaska 115
Alabama 159
Arkansas 197
Arizona 546
California 2,593
Colorado 187
Connecticut 223
District of Columbia 42
Delaware 51
Florida 1,056
Georgia 240
Hawaii 141
Iowa 84
Idaho 107
Illinois 234
Indiana 128
Kansas 72
Kentucky 155
Louisiana 260
Massachusetts 106
Maryland 166
Maine 28
Michigan 275
Minnesota 142
Missouri 399
Mississippi 89
Montana 55
North Carolina 297
North Dakota 18
Nebraska 90
New Hampshire 23
New Jersey 253
New Mexico 120
Nevada 175
New York 517
Ohio 226
Oklahoma 176
Oregon 287
Pennsylvania 254
Rhode Island 15
South Carolina 161
South Dakota 13
Tennessee 190
Texas 974
Utah 98
Virginia 214
US Virgin Islands 10
Vermont 44
Washington 495
Wisconsin 108
West Virginia 61
Wyoming 30

Missing Persons DNA Identification Project Launched - Federally-supported NJ State Police program carries out provisions of Patricia’s Law March 19, 2008 - The New Jersey State Police has launched a DNA identification project for long-term missing and unidentified deceased persons that supports the implementation of the state’s new Patricia’s Law, which sets new guidelines for police to follow in missing persons’ cases, including collecting DNA material and entering it into a national database.

The State Police project is designed to serve as a national model and is supported by a National Institute of Justice grant that funds a program at the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification, which runs DNA analysis for the program. The project, nationally known as the President’s DNA Initiative: Advancing Justice through DNA Technology, was launched to solve long-term missing and unidentified deceased persons investigations. The State Police Missing Persons Unit is the lead agency for the DNA identification project.

NamUs Case # 1489 has had changes made. You can view the case by clicking the url below

URL: https://identifyus.org/cases/1489

The following fields have been changed:
Dental : Tooth 17 changed from "n" to "a"

Dental : Tooth 18 changed from "a" to "n"

Dental : Tooth 31 changed from "a" to "n"

Dental : Tooth 32 changed from "n" to "a"

I wonder what that means, switching the teeth after all these years. Was it accidentally entered in the computer wrong or did they actual reexamine the dentals? Do you think this means they have a possible match and they're double-checking everything?

I have been reading in the news about the surge of unidentified people being identified or close to identified in part due to this site and I am so grateful for everyone here who invests their time and energy into giving these people a name. It gives me hope that maybe this Deptford girl will be next.

I did hear something recently that was like an "a-ha!" moment for this case. A coworker of mine who is an avid hunter was telling me how he had to go get new pantyhose for the trip... When I questioned his fashion choices, he explained that he wears pantyhose under his pants during cold trips to help keep him warm. He told me a lot of hunters do this and it's a pretty well-known trick in the outdoor community.

Given that Deptford Doe was found with pantyhose, sweatpants, and socks, and that she was most likely murdered during the fall or winter, is it possible she was planning on spending some time outside and wore pantyhose under her sweatpants and socks? The field she was found in was not a likely place for an overnight camping or hunting trip, but it's possible she believed she was on her way to an outdoor overnight destination. There is also the possibility that she was running away and knew she might be spending a lot of time outside. Any thoughts?

I have been reading in the news about the surge of unidentified people being identified or close to identified in part due to this site and I am so grateful for everyone here who invests their time and energy into giving these people a name. It gives me hope that maybe this Deptford girl will be next.

I did hear something recently that was like an "a-ha!" moment for this case. A coworker of mine who is an avid hunter was telling me how he had to go get new pantyhose for the trip... When I questioned his fashion choices, he explained that he wears pantyhose under his pants during cold trips to help keep him warm. He told me a lot of hunters do this and it's a pretty well-known trick in the outdoor community.

Given that Deptford Doe was found with pantyhose, sweatpants, and socks, and that she was most likely murdered during the fall or winter, is it possible she was planning on spending some time outside and wore pantyhose under her sweatpants and socks? The field she was found in was not a likely place for an overnight camping or hunting trip, but it's possible she believed she was on her way to an outdoor overnight destination. There is also the possibility that she was running away and knew she might be spending a lot of time outside. Any thoughts?

I always thought she may have originally had a skirt with her too. We have no clue what type of shirt she had on.

I don't remember them making a come back in the US; especially for her age group. I could be wrong... IIRC from the articles; the jewelry was not near the body; so how positive can we be that they even belonged to her?

I noticed that too. Someone from NamUs posted the article on their FB wall; mentioned they know DF. I'm debating going back to the post & asking if any of her cases have been solved so that I can look at the recon to make an opinion.

a few years previous (about 87) pearls were made popular by madonna.

a few years previous (about 87) pearls were made popular by madonna.

post under mine said that too

There was a lot of layering of costume necklaces in the mid eighties, especially strings of pearls. Madonna was a big style influence that way. It wouldn't be terribly surprising for a 16 year old to own and wear a strand of them. If she was wearing them with odd earrings and sweat pants and pantyhose I'm guessing she either had very little jewellery and liked to wear it all (homeless maybe?) or she was trying for a little bit of that quirky look from the movie Desperately Seeking Susan.

I wish they had a picture of the "sweatpants." I wonder if they could be leggings, which would be much more consistent with the rest of her outfit.

i bet they were. or maybe small sweat pants that fit her tight? serving as leggings.

if this was early 2000's, that is when track suits were in style but late 80's, not so much.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can get this identification jump-started again? So far this year multiple high-profile persons have been identified after 30+ years thanks to the tenacity of the Internet, and it gives me hope that we could start to see more of this happening as each case gets more exposure. Is it realistic to write a letter or email to her case manager asking for a new push or offering any help, or do they generally not respond to stuff like that?

I would really like to see a better sketch or recon than is available. A lot of the sketches of other UID's provided by the NCMEC are really beautiful and lifelike. Deptford Jane Doe's makes her look much older than she is.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can get this identification jump-started again? So far this year multiple high-profile persons have been identified after 30+ years thanks to the tenacity of the Internet, and it gives me hope that we could start to see more of this happening as each case gets more exposure. Is it realistic to write a letter or email to her case manager asking for a new push or offering any help, or do they generally not respond to stuff like that?

I would really like to see a better sketch or recon than is available. A lot of the sketches of other UID's provided by the NCMEC are really beautiful and lifelike. Deptford Jane Doe's makes her look much older than she is.

I was talking to Pamela Reed yesterday about a NJ John Doe; I had asked why NamUs doesn't give fliers for UPs like they do for MP's; she's gonna suggest it at a meeting next month.

I'm not sure if they'll do a new recon for DJD; will try to look at hers tomorrow

markovich_alicia.jpg
121UFNJ.jpg

She came up on my screen, and she does have a very similar facial structure. Her height at age 15 was a little low even if you figure that she was probably still growing. Also, I was looking for MP's with deformities around their upper lip, or teeth that were askew like Jane Doe's. Her upper lip looks perfectly straight, and of course, you can't see her teeth to compare on that basis.

However, none of these points would be a solid reason to rule her out. They probably should check her out.

BTW, I was looking pretty close at Amber Carrie Potts, but moved on based on the description that her "teeth were in good condition", and there were no obvious issues with her philtrum. However, that's not a solid reason to exclude either.

APotts.jpg
APotts1.jpg
121UFNJ.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/312dfon.html

Fwiw, started thread for Amber Potts as there has been fresh media exposure for her case.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ke-)-26-November-1988&p=13472698#post13472698

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back