ARRESTED- Luka Rocco Magnotta:1st deg murder charge #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be missing the point. Police aren't obligated to tell us what evidence they have, but there is also no reason for them to be misleading us with vague implications that they possess evidence that they (possibly) do not actually possess. If they choose to speak to the media about certain pieces of evidence, then they should be more clear and straightforward with their statements.

Not at all. Police have made a press release that provides the public with assurances that the perpetrator, Luka Magnotta, has been apprehended and that they have sufficient evidence to not only have him extradicted to Canada, but to prosecute him for first degree murder. Police have no obligation to provide any more information.

You should consider having your credentials verified. There is a thread here with a list of people that have had their credentials, like nurse, lawyer, etc verified.

I think part of the problem here is that we all have our own personal theories of how this happened, or why, and we have a tendancy to quote news stories that back up our particular theories. Unfortunately the reports vary widely both in what is being covered and the words chosen in which to report the crime. We have brought up several different versions of the Commander talking about possible cannibalism, all with minute changes of wordage. I think it can safely be said that we will only have the full picture, or as full a picture as is possible, when the case comes to court and is resolved. Until then, this is all conjecture on our parts. I love the debate, and certainly hope no one takes anything I write here personally, just as I will endeavor to do the same. We are all just playing guessing games based on very little factual information.

As NIN has suggested here the may have could refer to them not knowing if the cannibalism is REAL OR STAGED and if that is the case then that is VERY POOR FORM and unprofessional and even unethical for the authorities to even float the idea of cannibalism and it only serves one purpose and that is to sensationalize and prejudice a potential jury pool and that is reprehensible behavior on the part of those who we trust to be professionals and to handle these matters ethically.

If they dont have solid proof of cannibalism they have no business even bringing it up, period.

Therefore the MAY HAVE tells me that it is about who ate it not whether it was eaten because I trust these are professionals we are dealing with who know better.

As NIN has suggested here the may have could refer to them not knowing if the cannibalism is REAL OR STAGED and if that is the case then that is VERY POOR FORM and unprofessional and even unethical for the authorities to even float the idea of cannibalism and it only serves one purpose and that is to sensationalize and prejudice a potential jury pool and that is reprehensible behavior on the part of those who we trust to be professionals and to handle these matters ethically.

I think the idea was already floated, don't you? The video was posted on the Internet and shows him slicing off flesh with a knife and fork - obviously journalists are going to ask if cannibalism was involved.

I have personally seen the throat slash picture. Where do you come up with these things? There was plenty of blood.

GRAPHIC

True. But I think he cut the throat in bed, but took LJ to the bathroom to make it complete. Then washed off the bodyparts and brought them back to the room.

(my god....never imagined I would write about these horrible things)

I am not frustrated at all about them not releasing evidence, in my profession in the legal defense business we also do not like LEAKS to the public as it only serves to make it harder for a client to have an impartial jury, that isnt what this is about it is about the authorities being responsible for what they say and how they say it, I DONT CARE IF THEY DONT TALK but if they do they have a responsibility to tell the truth and tell it ACCURATELY so that a false rumors and other unfair things are not attributed to someone before they have even had their day in court, if cannibalism is suggested there better be proof of it or they should NOT EVEN BRING IT UP.

BBM

That doesn't sound quite right. Defence lawyers in the US are always mouthing off in the media ... like Baez. It's usually the prosecution that is silent about a case.

So are you a defence lawyer?

I think the idea was already floated, don't you? The video was posted on the Internet and shows him slicing off flesh with a knife and fork - obviously journalists are going to ask if cannibalism was involved.

Well that is an interesting point but it never shows him eating it and it is also one thing for the media to float the idea and yet another when it comes from investigative officials.

Police are sure of what they have. In an article about Luka Magnotta, the suspect charged with first degree murder, they state that it is confirmed that the perpetrator (Magnotta) murdered the victim and ate him.

"Lafreniere also confirmed police have a “raw” version of the infamous video of the murder that was posted to the Internet. It shows the perpetrator repeatedly stabbing the victim with an ice pick, then cutting up the body. Police confirmed that it also shows acts of cannibalism."

June 5, 2012
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...lance-helped-montreal-police-identify-suspect
[/QUOTE]

Now the police are using the word RAW in a way I have not heard commonly I mean I know what raw images on a camera are but please, we are being messed with. Why this word now I disagree it is carefully chosen.

Cannibalism is a great taboo and I can assure you that is what they will want us to be talking about - not who is on Luka's address app on his phone.

Along the line of Sonya's thinking another possible manipulation of this story: to shut down the student demos in Quebec which if they last and spread could overwhelm the Canadian university system and the big money Canada draws from foreign students.

Just some thoughts ..

Having read of LRM's alleged love of movies and movie stars, this passage from a book I'm currently reading really struck a chord with me.

Psychiatrist Joanne Intrator, at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, offers a course titled The Psychopath in Fact and Film, in which she explains how film lends itself to this form of identification, raising movie going from a level of casual curiosity to an act of emotionally charged voyeurism. She said that cinema "allows us to slip easily into the vicarious pleasure of the voyeur. A darkened room subdues our conscious moral world and allows us another focus of an inner state not dominated by the constraints of our superego (conscience). In the dark we are enjoying, with a subtle consciousness, aggressive and sexual pleasure at seemingly no cost."

These cinematic experiences may have a beneficial effect on psychologically healthy people, reminding them of the danger and destructiveness that psychopathy carries with it. On the other hand, these experiences may also serve as powerful role models for those with poorly developed internal standards, serious psychological problems, or feelings of alienation from mainstream society.

"Without Conscience" by Robert D. Hare, PhD

The term "raw" in English is "brut" or "cru" in French.

A person whose first language is FRENCH first thinks of the word in FRENCH, then translates it in their mind to the equivalent word in English.

"brut" = "gross", "crude", "raw"

It has absolutely nothing to do with a term some camera company coined centuries after the French and English languages were invented.

You'll save yourselves a ton of grief in this journey if you understand this one simple fact because, trust me, they'll be more of this type of ambiguity coming down the road..

It is a given that there was more video, lots more. I don't think for a minute Luka spent hours in that bathroom and didn't videotape any of it, that part was hard work. Perhaps the video taken in the bathroom didn't focus enough on HIM so that part was edited out?

I'm WAY behind, but.... THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

The reason it was edited the way it was could very well be so the focus was on HIM, and not the victim!! All of his online posts over the years have been very much "me, me, me! LUKA! MAGNOTTA! MEEE!!!" (to put it in a juvenile way).
It could very well be that the murder itself was edited out because that focuses more on the victim than it does him.

Total lightbulb moment, here. :woohoo: Thanks.

Have Montreal police recently stated that Magnotta and Lin were lovers or is ABC News wrong?

From ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-can...d-miami-murder/story?id=16536675#.T9Uehqapzkw

Magnotta and victim Jun Lin, 33, were gay lovers, according to Montreal police.

The above claim is noted in the ABC News article to give context to this:
Miami Police Sgt. Confesor Gonzalez told the Miami Herald.

But at first glance, the Miami killing doesn't follow the pattern of Magnotta's alleged crime in Canada, said Gonzalez, the lead investigator on the Laparra case.

"In the Canadian case, it appeared to be domestic, and the killer knew the victim, while in our case, it appears to be random," he told the Herald. "Nonetheless, in the interest of being thorough, we will follow up with Montreal police."

This is the first time since the first 48 hours after the arrest warrant was issued for Magnotta that I've heard Montreal police state they were lovers. Hopefully ABC News isn't using old info which police have since backed off of.

Cannibalism is a great taboo and I can assure you that is what they will want us to be talking about - not who is on Luka's address app on his phone.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but what do you mean by that?
Apparently I am too dumb to part-quote.
I wanted to quote Chorley8

Jin Lun was VERY LIKELY drugged, Sonya, you can see that and it is plainly obvious, likely against his will too, I dont see where you get this idea that he was "in to it" I dont care what you post and I dont get offended by anything but that seems really far fetched to me IMO. He was drugged.

This would make sense but raises a number of unknowns: What was he sedated with? How did Magnotta acquire such a drug? Was Magnotta also on drugs?

Personally, I'm surprised the media hasn't blamed bath salts yet...

Have Montreal police recently stated that Magnotta and Lin were lovers or is ABC News wrong?

From ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-can...d-miami-murder/story?id=16536675#.T9Uehqapzkw

This is the first time since the first 48 hours after the arrest warrant was issued for Magnotta that I've heard Montreal police state they were lovers. Hopefully ABC News isn't using old info which police have since backed off of.

Um... colour me dumb, but is the term "gay lovers" really necessary? Wouldn't "lovers" be enough? Considering they are both men, pretty sure the "gay" bit is implied.

And here I go, back into my rage about the media making it a point include "gay" in every single headline, like it makes a difference.... :banghead:

The term "raw" in English is "brut" or "cru" in French.

A person whose first language is FRENCH first thinks of the word in FRENCH, then translates it in their mind to the equivalent word in English.

"brut" = "gross", "crude", "raw"

It has absolutely nothing to do with a term some camera company coined centuries after the French and English languages were invented.

You'll save yourselves a ton of grief in this journey if you understand this one simple fact because, trust me, they'll be more of this type of ambiguity coming down the road..
THAT is interesting! Thanks for sharing. I have to go make dinner, please hold the fort down until I can return!

Have fun.

I don't recall the Montreal Police EVER saying that they were lovers. All I recall them saying was that the victim and perp 'knew each other'. The gay lover thing seems to be press driven.

I don't recall the Montreal Police EVER saying that they were lovers. All I recall them saying was that the victim and perp 'knew each other'. The gay lover thing seems to be press driven.

Yes, a bit like the gay *advertiser censored* thing. At least one of the *advertiser censored* vids he was in was straight *advertiser censored*, but suddenly he is a gay *advertiser censored* actor. I think the tabloids just love the word gay in a lurid headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth