MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe these where in a statement by DJ. And, yes, I would say the officer was angry if he were assaulted by MB as reported. Sometimes 18 year olds do not use the best judgment. That would be my opinion.

And sometimes cops don't either as shown with that now suspended cup that was threatening people in the crowd with an automatic rifle.

I don't think there is a clear cut answer here. At least not yet. I think 18 yr olds can make mistakes and it is apparent this kid did too. But I am not sure that he had to pay with his life for it. It just does not balance out. IMO

From Supreme Court decision posted much earlier by someone I wish I could remember:

"The Graham decision found that an officer’s use of force should be considered on the facts of each case. Officers are to weigh the seriousness of the crime, whether the suspect poses a threat to the safety of police or others and whether the suspect is trying to resist arrest. “The ‘reasonableness’ of a particular use of force must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, rather than with the 20/20 vision of hindsight,” [Chief Justice] Rehnquist wrote."

BBM

That ^^ is what some here are doing, imo. Using 20/20 hindsight to say ' maybe he should have tased him, or sat in his car and waited for back up...'

I am sure the officer is doing plenty of that himself. But I don't think the court is going to find him guilty for using deadly force, if it is proven that he was in a life and death struggle after an unprovoked attack.

This guy is (was) a Sgt. in STL Sheriffs Dept.. Guess he shoved DL and they got the dirt on him. The guy's a piece of work I'll give you that. Makes one wonder how (if) deep this mentality is within LE there.

JMO

I clicked on it then realized it was an hour, lol....so I just clicked a couple random spots. He does seem like kind of a loose cannon, huh?

Yet I can't help but feel really uncomfortable with the implication that because he has these views that casts aspersions on others in his department (or in the totally separate department where Wilson worked.) That would be the equivalent of digging around until you find a black kid at another high school who maybe didn't even know Michael Brown, but has a violent record, and trying to suggest that meant something about Brown.

So what if MB has a record? That has nothing to do with this case. Nothing. The only thing that matters is this day.

There are so many good people that did stupid things as kids. Thankfully they did not end up dead.
I don't think this kid was a saint. But I am not sure that makes him the devil either.

I've really been thinking about this a lot. I really think other officers would have done the same thing. Do you really think another police officer would have thought it was ok to do assault and battery on him and then possibly bum rushed him or her. I don't think they would have shot him 4 times in the arm. Just shoot to kill and be justified.It's not ok to assault a police officer.

I think you are correct. In my opinion, there is enough eye witnesses who have said MB was having arm movement from outside of the LE vehicle to inside the LE vehicle. Also, someone earlier posted links where MB family attorney admitted that serious interacton between MB and LE had occurred in the LE vehicle. This was linked to Nancy Grace show and again on Megyn Kelly show

Is there a back story on this? I must have missed it. Tx

Im not sure we're allowed to discuss?

am i allowed to: say there is a reporter that submitted a FIOA request for his juvenile record, it was denied, and he's trying again. based on one of the lawyers on here weighing in the particular circumstances may mean it will be released. wait and see.

MODS….PLEASE REMOVE IF INAPPROPRIATE!

left video running, Parks says again later on in video, "the officers past and record are important, but MBs aren't" he goes on to say, "we're thoroughly investigating him, and we've found some things. things you'll be surprised to learn about."

I think you are correct. Also, I read somewhere that MB had his 18th birthday in May 2014. So, he had only been an adult by legal standards for a few months. I hope someone has the link concerning the release of a person's juvenile record after he or she dies.

MB supposedly graduated from the abysmal Normandy HS in May, but he attended a different school the previous year, reportedly to "make up credits" he needed. Hmm.. Was he given one or more long-term school suspensions which caused him to fall behind?

True, but something still missing from those videos IMO

I'll repeat what I wrote in a post several days ago. If MB had killed the store clerk, there would have been NO national publicity and not very much in the St. Louis area.

As for something missing from the video, What more do you want?

Asked if MB had a juvie record, Daryl Parks: "I'll say this. He was a typical kid. Some situations may have occurred while a juvenile, but we need to not be at a point where we start to blame the victim."

In my opinion, if MB does have a juvenile record of bullying, assault, or attempted murder, it does matter. In my opinion, that would show pattern of behavior.

And sometimes cops don't either as shown with that now suspended cup that was threatening people in the crowd with an automatic rifle.

I don't think there is a clear cut answer here. At least not yet. I think 18 yr olds can make mistakes and it is apparent this kid did too. But I am not sure that he had to pay with his life for it. It just does not balance out. IMO

Should the officer pay for it with HIS life? What if it is proven that they struggled over the gun, and this kid was attempting to shoot the cop? Will that make a difference?

Because imo, if you assault someone, unprovoked, and fight over a weapon in the attempt to shoot them, then YES, you might end up losing your own life over it. And I think it does balance out pretty closely. For every reaction there is an equal but opposite reaction...jmo

St. Louis County PD ‏@stlcountypd 6m

Some of you may have already seen the video of the St. Louis County Police Officer speaking off-duty at an Oath Keepers event. If you haven't we are sure you will in the coming days as news circulates the release of the video.

Chief Jon Belmar was notified of this video's existence today and upon a abbreviated viewing of the video was disturbed by the conversation being had. Chief Belmar does not expect this kind of rhetoric from his officers, just like they don't expect it from him.

Chief Belmar, on behalf of the St. Louis County Police Department, would like to apologize to the community, anyone that video has or will effect, and to the other hard working officers on the detail with the officer in question because they deserve better than that. While the officer has never been involved in an officer involved shooting, the statements made about killing are unacceptable and not what we are about as a Department.

We hold our officers to a high standard of honor both on and off duty. While we as a department do not have an issue with officers expressing themselves, this was disturbing and unacceptable. The officer is a 35 year veteran of this department and has been deployed numerous times in military service. He had passed the evaluations upon returning from deployment and there was no indication of this attitude.

Chief Belmar would again like to apologize to anyone this video has offended and aska any videos of this nature be reported so we can take proper action against any officer not meeting our standards.

I'll repeat what I wrote in a post several days ago. If MB had killed the store clerk, there would have been NO national publicity and not very much in the St. Louis area.

As for something missing from the video, What more do you want?

And there have been numerous, previous posts with links confirming with video MB family attorney acknowledging that there was indeed a serious incident between MB and Office Wilson in LE vehicle.

Does anybody have a link or remember the discussion earlier stating that juvenile record could be released after person dies?

IIRC correctly after they have died doesn't help. it has more to do with the possible charges involved. i will try and look in a bit, b/c i had asked the question originally and posted the code concerning sealed records, and when the lawyer weighed in she used the same info i had provided.

give me a little bit :)

Should the officer pay for it with HIS life? What if it is proven that they struggled over the gun, and this kid was attempting to shoot the cop? Will that make a difference?

Because imo, if you assault someone, unprovoked, and fight over a weapon in the attempt to shoot them, then YES, you might end up losing your own life over it. And I think it does balance out pretty closely. For every reaction there is an equal but opposite reaction...jmo

The officer took someone's life so if he did not do it justly then yes he does have to pay for it.

funny how "we shouldn't consider MBs background, but the officers background is what's important."
I started to post the same thought, but it bothers me so much, I know I'll lose my temper. LOL

Not only do they want to judge and demand punishment of Officer Walker based on his history, but to judge and punish him (and all victims of the rioting) for the history of all men in blue.

But everything MB did in the time prior to three months ago, his crime in the store, and his actions in the car.... Those are called irrelevant.

So what if MB has a record? That has nothing to do with this case. Nothing. The only thing that matters is this day.

There are so many good people that did stupid things as kids. Thankfully they did not end up dead.
I don't think this kid was a saint. But I am not sure that makes him the devil either.

It goes to his character and the chances that he DID in fact assault the officer. We have Dorian and his atty claiming that these innocent boys were walking to grandmas, were stopped by a big mean white cop who cussed them out, then grabbed Mike Mike by the throat for no reason, and then put a gun to his head. :waitasec:

But if we now know that BOTH these choirboys had criminal records, then that goes to the reliability of Dorian's version of events. And makes it more likely that MB was the aggressor and not the poor innocent victim, attacked because of his color. jmo

In my opinion, if MB does have a juvenile record of bullying, assault, or attempted murder, it does matter. In my opinion, that would show pattern of behavior.

Especially since Parks said "Some situations" (plural)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993