World War II Carrier Pigeon With Coded Message Found In England

He had survived the perilous flight back from Nazi-occupied territory hundreds of miles away.

Exhausted, the British ‘spy’ pigeon swooped down on a chimney in Surrey for a rest.

And there, sadly, he fell off his perch. Perhaps overcome by fumes from the fire below, he died – with a vital coded message in a tiny capsule still strapped to his leg.
---
from the Daily Mail article.

Wow. They even have a picture of the bird's skeletal foot holding the message. :what:

Do you think the story is true or a hoax?

Wow. They even have a picture of the bird's skeletal foot holding the message. :what:

Do you think the story is true or a hoax?
True. Too unlikely a subject to make for good hoax material - nothing to be gained by hoaxer, etc. It's a highly plausible thing to have happened as thousands of carrier pigeons were used by Britain in the war effort. The island will yield up effects of that war for many years to come.

David Martin, 74, found the bird's remains while renovating a unused fireplace at his Surrey home not far from the wartime headquarters of Gen. Bernard Montgomery, the Daily Mail writes. The British commander planned the D-Day invasion at a hotel in nearby Reigate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/world-war-ii-carrier-pigeon-surrey_n_2057149.html

This is interesting and very cool! I hope you keep us updated...Tx! to you, Kimster. Makes me want to sleuth pigeons haha...no really, I'm gonna do it!

It still amazes me that pigeons were trusted with these top secret missions. And this one would have probably finished his mission if not overcome with fumes. What brave birds. They must be more intelligent then most people give them credit for.

When I was young we would go downtown and I loved to watch the pigeons walk along the sidewalk. I still think they're beautiful birds. Of course I don't have to clean up after them.

Thanks for posting this. I'm anxious to find out what the coded message is.

It still amazes me that pigeons were trusted with these top secret missions. And this one would have probably finished his mission if not overcome with fumes. What brave birds. They must be more intelligent then most people give them credit for.

When I was young we would go downtown and I loved to watch the pigeons walk along the sidewalk. I still think they're beautiful birds. Of course I don't have to clean up after them.

Thanks for posting this. I'm anxious to find out what the coded message is.

One of my favorite childhood memories was sitting on the boardwalk in Atlantic City, in front of Planters Peanuts....huge Mr Peanut fan..,,, anyway......The pigeons would sit right in your hand and eat peanuts from it. I used to love petting them, feeding them, watching their mating dance.... I still love pigeons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20456782

Britain's top code-breakers say they are stumped by a secret code found on the leg of a dead pigeon.

The remains of the bird were found in a chimney in Surrey with a message from World War II attached.

Experts at the intelligence agency GCHQ have been struggling to decipher the message since they were provided with it a few weeks ago.

They say it may be impossible to decode it without more information - some of which could come from the public.

The message was discovered by David Martin when he was renovating the chimney of his house in Surrey.

It's a real coo as 'unbreakable' war code found on pigeon in Portland is cracked (Dorset Echo)
---
What was originally thought to be an unbreakable code has now been partially cracked using a First World War artillery code book.

Weston resident Mr Neville Walbridge said: “I thought someone would come up with it sooner or later.

“After the war all the code books at Bletchley Park and the computers had to be destroyed. We accepted that. But I thought there would be a way to do it.”
---
the rest at the link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine