Officer Breast-Feeds Earthquake Orphans

pedinurse

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/05/22/china.breastfeed/index.html

China's #1 Mom!!

JIANGYOU, China (CNN) -- A Chinese policewoman is being hailed as a hero after taking it upon herself to breast-feed several infants who were separated from their mothers or orphaned by China's devastating earthquake.
Police officer Jiang Xiaojuan, 29, was feeding nine babies at one point.
Officer Jiang Xiaojuan, 29, the mother of a 6-month-old boy, responded to the call of duty and the instincts of motherhood when the magnitude 7.9 quake struck on May 12.

More at the link above...

Wow, that's kind of amazing...

She's an angel, Heaven-sent. Many prayers for all those people over there.

I saw this woman on the news today. She's a hero with a heart of gold. :clap:

It's nice to read something like this in the middle of everything else that's wrong in the world. :woohoo:

I guess I don't get it. The lady has a kid who is no longer being breast fed because it's with other relatives. Why not continue to breast feed her own and give the babies the formula? If there were no formula available, I can certainly see it - totally, but seems weird when you consider that her baby isn't among the ones she takes care of.

I guess I don't get it. The lady has a kid who is no longer being breast fed because it's with other relatives. Why not continue to breast feed her own and give the babies the formula? If there were no formula available, I can certainly see it - totally, but seems weird when you consider that her baby isn't among the ones she takes care of.

How long do women normally continue to breast feed? her child is 6 months old.

i do think she did a wonderful thing. :)

The only reason her son is with family is because she was called to duty.

the city is flooded with refugees from rural areas. i am sure there is a huge shortage of all supplies including formula. she was lucky to have relatives that could take her child and care for it but the mothers coming in from the mountains did not. in area devastated by disaster the supply lines are just not there to continue to deliver medical supplies or water, much less food and formula.

How long do women normally continue to breast feed? her child is 6 months old.

i do think she did a wonderful thing. :)

I don't deny it's a wonderful thing - just taken aback that her own child is "cut off" for these and not included. Also a bit feeling sorry for her breasts - nine babies nursing would mean she'd produce extra milk for them all, and once they all aren't there, she'll have triple EE boobage for a few days! Ouch!

I think mine stopped nursing at 9 months. Probably 6-12 months is average when you choose to stop.

It's possible that she had her own breast milk pumped and frozen at home for when she was working or not at home. I did that sometimes if I had to leave the house for a few hours and my husband would feed them. Then you have to hurry and rush home, because you're about to explode! And my kids slowly weaned themselves beginning at age 12-15 months.

I don't deny it's a wonderful thing - just taken aback that her own child is "cut off" for these and not included. Also a bit feeling sorry for her breasts - nine babies nursing would mean she'd produce extra milk for them all, and once they all aren't there, she'll have triple EE boobage for a few days! Ouch!

I think mine stopped nursing at 9 months. Probably 6-12 months is average when you choose to stop.
bahahaha!!

you make some good points and you made me laugh. i had some of these thoughts when i read this article... particularly the one about her own infant being separated for her duty. she was separated from her infant for her to be able to go do the rescue efforts, and she ended up nursing these babies. to me, that would actually help her out, because now she gets to keep her milk supply up while separated from her own infant!! her baby is only 6 months old!!
i am sure she probably had pumped milk for a short time, but she probably had the ability to provide food in other means for her infant in a safe manner (formula, etc) with her relatives in another city. in this area, due to the quake, i am sure that the water supply, food supply, etc are all compromised if working at all.
remember, many of these are remote villages that we are talking about that were in need of rescue, and basic utilities are cut off.

the city is flooded with refugees from rural areas. i am sure there is a huge shortage of all supplies including formula. she was lucky to have relatives that could take her child and care for it but the mothers coming in from the mountains did not. in area devastated by disaster the supply lines are just not there to continue to deliver medical supplies or water, much less food and formula.
yup yup

Officer Jiang went above the call of duty and above the call of being a good person to nurse up to nine babies during a terrible tragedy. I imagine she either thought of the ramifications on her breasts or knew and simply didn't care. What an angel, a hero and an example for others.

There's no way her body could go from producing enough milk for one infant to producing enough for 9 in one or two days. But if she had an established milk supply, which she did, she would produce at least enough for each baby to have a few moments of comfort nursing. To these poor babies, this would be the equivalent of us getting a warm blanket or a hot cup of coffee. The emotional comfort factor would have been enormous. In addition, her breast milk automatically began adding antibodies to all the germs and viruses popping up in the environment. Nursing these babies was like a little vaccination program. But most of all it gave them each comfort, bless their hearts (and hers). :blowkiss:

Glow said:
There's no way her body could go from producing enough milk for one infant to producing enough for 9 in one or two days. But if she had an established milk supply, which she did, she would produce at least enough for each baby to have a few moments of comfort nursing. To these poor babies, this would be the equivalent of us getting a warm blanket or a hot cup of coffee. The emotional comfort factor would have been enormous. In addition, her breast milk automatically began adding antibodies to all the germs and viruses popping up in the environment. Nursing these babies was like a little vaccination program. But most of all it gave them each comfort, bless their hearts (and hers). :blowkiss:

Beautifully said, Glow:blowkiss:.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back