A lil' miracle at the animal shelter

MsPooh

Reaction score
I work at a no-kill animal shelter, we currently have over 300 furbabies and alot of them came to us through horrible means (thrown over our fence, dropped off at the door in the middle of the night, chained to the mailbox) you name it, it has probably happened. Well last night as we were leaving, someone noticed a box under some shrubbery a good piece away from the door..and they noticed the box was moving (it was all nicely sealed up with a few holes punched in it :mad:) anyway..when the box was opened a little peek-a-poo poked her head up, we took her inside and took her out of the box....we gave her food and water, but she could not use her back legs, she was dragging them behind her....they were lifeless! However her tail has not stopped wagging. This morning we got there and she was still moving the same way, a volunteer bathed her and found 2 ticks on her and removed them. At 5:00 this evening she started trying to walk, at 6:00 she was walking. She had tick paralysis (I had never heard of that). We see some pretty bad things very regularly...this little dog is like a beacon of hope to people that do what we do. Most likely she was "gotten rid of" because of her condition, and it turned out to be so easily solved. Please, keep in mind that is is summertime...check your furbabies often for ticks.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I hope she find a great home...along with every other animal there...They so deserve it!

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I hope she find a great home...along with every other animal there...They so deserve it!

She will, the small ones always get adopted very quickly.

I grew up on a farm and we always had a pack of dogs-the one I "adopted" as my own as a child had this happen once. All of a sudden he could not stand up and was dragging his hind legs around....the vet who came out to care for our cows told us it was some sort of an illness animals get from eating roadkill or something that's been dead for a while-maybe some sort of a bacteria or something that forms in the carcass? I was just a kid then and heartbroken over my dog, so I kept him on the porch in a box and nursed him back to health-gradually he began to be able to use his hind legs again and soon was up and running with the other dogs. He was the best dog I ever had as a kid....

That was probably one of those childhood things that influenced me to become a nurse when I was an adult-I will have to do some research to see if I can find out what exactly causes it.

I grew up on a farm and we always had a pack of dogs-the one I "adopted" as my own as a child had this happen once. All of a sudden he could not stand up and was dragging his hind legs around....the vet who came out to care for our cows told us it was some sort of an illness animals get from eating roadkill or something that's been dead for a while-maybe some sort of a bacteria or something that forms in the carcass? I was just a kid then and heartbroken over my dog, so I kept him on the porch in a box and nursed him back to health-gradually he began to be able to use his hind legs again and soon was up and running with the other dogs. He was the best dog I ever had as a kid....

That was probably one of those childhood things that influenced me to become a nurse when I was an adult-I will have to do some research to see if I can find out what exactly causes it.

Awesome story Taylor! As for the tick paralysis, I have since learned that the saliva of the tick contains a neurotoxin...which adversly affects the nervous system when bitten... sometimes. It can also happen to humans. Would be interesting to find out what is was that happened to your dog.

Glad she's better!

My sister had a chocolate lab (named Hershey) that got tick paralysis all the time. My sister would remove the tick and a few hours later she would be up and running. Very strange!

I work at a no-kill animal shelter, we currently have over 300 furbabies and alot of them came to us through horrible means (thrown over our fence, dropped off at the door in the middle of the night, chained to the mailbox) you name it, it has probably happened. Well last night as we were leaving, someone noticed a box under some shrubbery a good piece away from the door..and they noticed the box was moving (it was all nicely sealed up with a few holes punched in it :mad:) anyway..when the box was opened a little peek-a-poo poked her head up, we took her inside and took her out of the box....we gave her food and water, but she could not use her back legs, she was dragging them behind her....they were lifeless! However her tail has not stopped wagging. This morning we got there and she was still moving the same way, a volunteer bathed her and found 2 ticks on her and removed them. At 5:00 this evening she started trying to walk, at 6:00 she was walking. She had tick paralysis (I had never heard of that). We see some pretty bad things very regularly...this little dog is like a beacon of hope to people that do what we do. Most likely she was "gotten rid of" because of her condition, and it turned out to be so easily solved. Please, keep in mind that is is summertime...check your furbabies often for ticks.

Oh what a blessing - bravo to you! :clap:

If I could I'd take in all the little lost dogs and kitties - I am such an animal lover.

I just adore stories like this -- thank you!

Mel

Great story and kudos to you for working at a no-kill shelter. I hope that all of your animals find homes. I have a stray who I found a home for but he's back. I don't dare call animal control because I know what will happen to him as he bites (not hard) at times. Last night, he was trying to make his absolute best impression on me . . . he was rolling on the picnic table, where I was sitting and putting his paw on me like I was his best friend. I feel so bad but he doesn't get along with my other (four) cats and honestly, I cannot afford another cat. I tried all the shelters around here but they are full. He deserves a home and I can't give him that.

When we are at capacity (which we seem to stay at), we refer anyone with cats (or dogs) to someone that can take them in...usually it is an individual. Call your local no-kill shelter and they may be able to help you in that way. Not all of them have the resources though, but it is worth a shot. And really, don't feel bad about it..you have given him alot of your time and love, which he may not have gotten elsewhere.

If I could I'd take in all the little lost dogs and kitties - I am such an animal lover.

Mel

Me too! My heart just breaks for all the animals out in the world that are hungry, lost, hurt or abused. If only I could save them all.

A great story! :)

Well I can without the shadow of a doubt say that I absolutely LOVE going to work each and every day! Truth of the matter is alot of our dogs & cats (we have 300 plus) will be with us for life. I so wish that they could all find forever homes, but that isn't the case. Sooooo, we make sure that each and everyday they all feel special..individually....I work with 30 of them myself exclusively. Each zone has from 20-40 dogs that have their "human" everyday. We work off donations alone, no government funding whatsoever. By the grace of God..day by day things work out. We have run out of food completely..put the word out and have so much food we have to find places to store it. But it goes quickly. We are in an old rundown building that needs improvements sooo badly, the furbabies really could care less what their big doghouse looks like. But we would love for it to be more comfortable for them, in time maybe it will happen..but for now to them..it's all good. :)

Mel
I'll second that :clap: it's nice to see something with a happy ending! At least whoever it was dropped the little baby off at a no-kill shelter where she'll be taken care of, instead of several other much less humane options.

Well I can without the shadow of a doubt say that I absolutely LOVE going to work each and every day! Truth of the matter is alot of our dogs & cats (we have 300 plus) will be with us for life. I so wish that they could all find forever homes, but that isn't the case. Sooooo, we make sure that each and everyday they all feel special..individually....I work with 30 of them myself exclusively. Each zone has from 20-40 dogs that have their "human" everyday. We work off donations alone, no government funding whatsoever. By the grace of God..day by day things work out. We have run out of food completely..put the word out and have so much food we have to find places to store it. But it goes quickly. We are in an old rundown building that needs improvements sooo badly, the furbabies really could care less what their big doghouse looks like. But we would love for it to be more comfortable for them, in time maybe it will happen..but for now to them..it's all good. :)
Bless you for all you do for God's innocent creatures. :blowkiss:

snipped
. Most likely she was "gotten rid of" because of her condition, and it turned out to be so easily solved. Please, keep in mind that is is summertime...check your furbabies often for ticks.

I would rather think they were on their way to the door and didnt make it before they heard or saw someone coming so set the box down farther then they would of liked.I would also like to think whoever had this puppy dropped it off because it needed attention they could not afford for it so decided to leave it at a no kill shelter hoping to be offering the puppy most honestly (imo) the best chance they could of offered it. I am not saying it is right but if it was my puppy i would of thought my kids did something ACCIDENTLY to it and no amount of'' no mommies'' would of convinced me otherwise. I wouldnt be able to bear another vet telling me surgey 1900.00 or death (it is a bussiness after all ) so I would do exactly as the puppys owner if i was broke and cared about the puppy.

God Bless You!! :blowkiss:
I volunteer for a non-profit spay/neuter organization and have fostered many, many (kitty) furbabies and I applaud your amazing efforts.
Sending hugs and good wishes your way..........

Rainy XOXO

snipped

I would rather think they were on their way to the door and didnt make it before they heard or saw someone coming so set the box down farther then they would of liked.I would also like to think whoever had this puppy dropped it off because it needed attention they could not afford for it so decided to leave it at a no kill shelter hoping to be offering the puppy most honestly (imo) the best chance they could of offered it. I am not saying it is right but if it was my puppy i would of thought my kids did something ACCIDENTLY to it and no amount of'' no mommies'' would of convinced me otherwise. I wouldnt be able to bear another vet telling me surgey 1900.00 or death (it is a bussiness after all ) so I would do exactly as the puppys owner if i was broke and cared about the puppy.

well I do stand corrected, I worded that badly...you are absolutely right..the way it came out goes against the grain of what we do. We are no-kill and judgement has to be reserved in most cases on the way in which most of our animals are brought to us. However, on a daily basis we are called on to take in more and more of these babies...we cannot always do that, so we do offer basic medical care (if that may be the reason they can no longer keep them) free of charge, and if it requires a vet's attention then we try to see to it that they are seen ...at no charge to the owner. Thank God for veterinarians that donate their services. But my main problem was the fact that we were obvioulsy still open and this is the south.....it is hot as all get out in the shade, much less a box. We had a Momma dog and her 8 puppies delivered to us in the trunk of a car a few weeks ago, after the owner had been (admittedly) driving around for 2 hours "looking for us"....I know most people have good intentions, but then there are alllll the others that may not.

God Bless You!! :blowkiss:
I volunteer for a non-profit spay/neuter organization and have fostered many, many (kitty) furbabies and I applaud your amazing efforts.
Sending hugs and good wishes your way..........

Rainy XOXO

:blowkiss: kudos to you as well :):) The furbabies are why we do what we do and it makes it all worthwhile. We have a mini-commercial that has made it's way to a television reporter in Washington, D.C. So hopefully the word will get out about our efforts, maybe someday I will post a link here for our shelter and the commercial...but for obvious reasons I don't think it would be a good idea just yet. But let's just keep helping these angels one day at a time, it goes a very long way. :)

:blowkiss: kudos to you as well :):) The furbabies are why we do what we do and it makes it all worthwhile. We have a mini-commercial that has made it's way to a television reporter in Washington, D.C. So hopefully the word will get out about our efforts, maybe someday I will post a link here for our shelter and the commercial...but for obvious reasons I don't think it would be a good idea just yet. But let's just keep helping these angels one day at a time, it goes a very long way. :)

I would love to hear more about your shelter and see the commercial someday! Our non-profit loves to network and share stories with other rescue orgs. Just this morning I was emailing a N.Y. Ally Cats member about some new T-N-R ideas for feral colonies (trap-neuter-return). Now I've got three little cuties playing with my feet here under the chair and beggin' for treats. Thanks for all that you do. :blowkiss:

I just go this email and thought I would share it here.

Easy Tick Removal

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a
good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.
Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, or anyone who
even steps outside in summer!!
A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And
it really works!!
I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a
tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some
times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a
head full of dark hair, etc.
Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the
soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick
will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift
it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that
was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and
easier for me.
Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be
damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice
because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with
tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It
worked!"
Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

A couple of years ago I was watching tv at about 9AM. I see this van pull up on my cul de sac.............it just pulled right up to the house across the street. I stand at my window watching this.....a woman gets out walks around, gets something out of her van and puts it in the yard. She looks around, gets back in her van and drives away.

I say "oh no she did not........" sure enough there stood a scared meowing little kitten. I walk across the street, it is looking at me with such fear.....I pick it up and it purrs and snuggles (to this day- the most affectionate cat I've ever seen)

I call this rescue group because I have a brand new baby and cannot keep it..I wanted to and regret it....the woman comes and gets it........it is adopted immediately and I am sent a couple of follow-ups.......it was named after me (the rescue grp. does this) and the couple fell head over heels for that kitten.........

I have been impressed with no kill rescue grps ever since! I made a nice donation!

Thank you for what you do.........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back