Idaho Caveman "Dugout Dick" Dies at age 94

Recovering-Lurker

I'm Back and on My Best Behavior
Reaction score
This man lived outside of my hometown in his caves he built on the side of the mountain. Everyone in town, surrounding town and people who passed through, know who he was. Really cool guy.

Known as the "Salmon River Caveman," Richard Zimmerman lived an essentially 19th century lifestyle, a digital-age anachronism who never owned a telephone or a television and lived almost entirely off the land.

"He was in his home at the caves at the end, and it was his wish to die there," said Connie Fitte, who lived across the river. "He was the epitome of the free spirit."

Few knew him by his given name. To friends and visitors to his jumble of cave-like homes scrabbled from a rocky shoulder of the Salmon River, he was Dugout Dick.

"I have everything here," he said. "I got lots of rocks and rubber tires. I have plenty of straw and fruit and vegetables, my dog and my cats and my guitars. I make wine to cook with. There's nothing I really need."

Some of his caves were 60 feet deep. Though he "never meant to build an apartment house," he earned spending money by renting them for $2 a night. Some renters spent one night; others chose the $25 monthly rate and stayed for months or years.

He lived in a cave by choice. Moved by a friend to a care center in Salmon at age 93 because he was in failing health, he walked out and hitchhiked home.

I wish his brother would reconsider having his remains sent to Illinois. He loved his caves, and that's where he should rest in peace imo. I hope they keep the caves as they are, but the land will probably go to the BLM, and they won't leave them.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/04/23/1164899/death-of-caveman-ends-an-era-in.html#ixzz0lxcA61et

Videos:
http://vodpod.com/watch/1105098-yertpod19-diggin-dugout-dick-in-idaho

[video=youtube;KD53LVjXIHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD53LVjXIHs[/video]

Attachments

• 0423%20Local%20dugoutdick1.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg
    0423%20Local%20dugoutdick1.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 12
  • 0423%20Local%20dugoutdick3.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg
    0423%20Local%20dugoutdick3.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 0423%20Local%20dugoutdick2.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg
    0423%20Local%20dugoutdick2.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 19
Oh yeah, wasn't there a book written about/by him a few years ago? I think I ran across it somewhere. There was a nice article in the Statesman today (I live in Boise).

What a cool story! WOW! I'm in Illinois, send "them" to me and I will send them back. In the same way us Cub fans who sit in the bleachers chant throw it back! if an opposing teams ball winds up in the bleachers.

Dugout Dick, should have his remains where he loved most, right where he lived amongst his caves in rural idaho.

I wonder if he knew about carbon inprints. I bet he'd like to stand his grown and say hey, this was mine and I did it right! Let me be in peace in what I loved most. I sure hope his family doesn't take that away from him because it does not fit their image of what they would have liked from him.

Amazing!

Rest in peace Mr. Dugout Dick. God Bless you!

Bump for Doug out Dick. I thought about him today...

and how interesting of a discussion comparing his life with those who pay close to 6 thousand a month in child support and alimony.... and those whose who have million dollar properties they sell as tear downs.... and how for some reason those numbers are so important in our lives.

I thought about Dug out Dick, and how I would like to learn more about his life.
And I hope he knows how much a warm cup of coffee is appreciated.- and that those of us have not forgotten some clean water exists and it' boiling point is only semi important. And a little mud and worms and dirty hands aren't so bad......

Dug out Dick... You were green when it wasn't easy and before it was cool.
Thank you for allowing the media into your world to remind us what is really important in being true to yourself.

What you stood for won't be forgotten.

Cubbs'

Bump for Doug out Dick. I thought about him today...

and how interesting of a discussion comparing his life with those who pay close to 6 thousand a month in child support and alimony.... and those whose who have million dollar properties they sell as tear downs.... and how for some reason those numbers are so important in our lives.

I thought about Dug out Dick, and how I would like to learn more about his life.
And I hope he knows how much a warm cup of coffee is appreciated.- and that those of us have not forgotten some clean water exists and it' boiling point is only semi important. And a little mud and worms and dirty hands aren't so bad......

Dug out Dick... You were green when it wasn't easy and before it was cool.
Thank you for allowing the media into your world to remind us what is really important in being true to yourself.

What you stood for won't be forgotten.

Cubbs'

Great post Cubby. I just love folks like him. I want to learn more about him and his life also.

That's great that he had such a long life living where he wanted the way he enjoyed it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back