Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree that there is some vast conspiracy/cover-up on this crime. Why did the authorities keep publicizing the case over the years if this were true? I can't deduce a conspiracy theory over sloppy-record keeping. That's pretty common, sorry to say. For example, in SC you do not have to be a MD to be a county coroner, it's an elected position, and I've seen everything from funeral directors to ex-cops elected to those positions although I think Charleston does have both a medical examiner and a coroner. And there are a couple of expert forensic pathologists in the state, and when something is not an open and shut case, their bodies will be sent to these pathologists. But in one case I know of, the elected coroner concluded a man had died from a fire. I'm not sure why an autopsy was done-whether his family insisted or what--but his body was sent to one of the pathologists who determined the victim had died from a gunshot wound prior to the fire. My point is this: don't expect the kind of sophistication from these agencies that you would from big city agencies, either then or now. How much evidence you want to bet was lost in that investigation because it was originally investigated as a fire not a murder?

The best odds of solving this murder in my opinion rest with the gun that we KNOW committed the crime. If I were an officer looking at the case today, I'd start by interviewing his surviving friends, family members, etc. With the principles in this case probably long-dead, it's possible that family and friends might talk now where they might not have 30 years ago.

I do believe that it is possible that they are not from another country at all but were from the US. Someone with a French-accent in SC would have been remembered had they spoken to any locals--and we know they had ice cream or fruit from a road-side stand at some point on the day they died, so I'm not going to put too much stock in what the person at the KOA campground believes he remembers. I think that it is highly likely that law enforcement did go off on a goose chase or two on this case, wasting valuable time. And then new cases came along, other crimes that were solvable took precedence, the original investigators retired, etc. That's not malice, that's just a fact of what criminal investigations look like in the real world, not what you see on tv.

If this has been posted before my apologies.

But I hadnt seen it in either of the threads I have been keeping up with

Its quite a different sketch and some more information I had not seen before (or have forgotten !)

http://meyahna.tripod.com/pg5.html

Thoughts ?

Ive just been having a nother really goog hunt around on the WWW and came across this which is then a translated page

http://translate.google.com.au/tran...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Vf7

The last sentence says

Before he died, he told a witness that his father was a famous doctor in Canada who has disavowed to drop out of the Faculty of Medicine. The unidentified man said his name was Jacques.

Then there is this translated forum that has a photo of the opening of the graves

http://translate.google.com.au/tran...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Vf7

Does Anyone think this looks Like Jock Doe

picture.php

This man has been missing since 1975 from Canada
He has Brown Eyes
He was 27

Some of the other things are a *little* different

But the face those eyebrows in particular - what do you think ?

This is another photo of him with another photo of Jock as a insert to compare

picture.php

The Hairline Eyebrows Nose Jaw all seem to fit...

JaneInOz...I am so excited to see the picture you found. Good work!
Yes, the 2 pictures look exactly alike..like Jock is looking in the mirror..even the hair is the same length.
Where can we read about this missing person?..:dance:

I want to talk to you privately, please. Can you turn on your PM option?

picture.php

Jane...i got goose bumps seeing the pic comparison... i concur..i do think that is the long lost jacques or jock.. the brows, hairline, and facial features are identical..age in 20's and from canada..what are the other stats?

Really REALLY ? Oh Wow

Ok

Yesterday I spent AGGGGGEEEESSS looking at other cases that I have been posting in but have let go because of the Caylee Case....
But I was getting frustrated with all that so I put in hours and hours serching all over following links to links to links

I found this about the couple http://meyahna.tripod.com/pg5.html not sure if you have all seen it ?

Then I found this http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=76

Not sure if you have all seen that ?

Which led me to this man...

http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/images/stories/library/data_files/ARCAND_Edward.pdf

Edward Joseph ARCAND

As I said earlier some of the stats are a little off , some are the same

But that Face !!!!

I am in Australia so I do not know the right places to submit or ask more questions so Mystery Lover if you think that is a really good match please can you do that for me ?

Tara, the key to IDing the Jane Doe in this case are the two moles on her face. So far, most of the possiblilites have been ruled out because they lacked that characteristic.

I don't think the moles should be the deciding factor, though. Like I said before, I think people are making too much of them. In some of the pictures they're barely noticeable, and in others it seems like they've darkened them. Like this for example. If you look at the picture on the right, they're not that noticeable (and even seem like they could be dirt or something, as there are several other spots on her face that look the same), but in the picture on the left, it's obvious that they've been darkened. It's possible that if they were as faint/not obvious as in the picture on the right, they could've been covered up with makeup. So, there's the possibility that if we saw a pic of her when she was alive we wouldn't even know she had the moles. Also, if she usually wore makeup to cover them, it's possible her family wouldn't even have thought to mention them when giving a description of her. Of course she didn't have makeup covering them when she died, but like the shaving legs thing, she was on vacation/camping...we don't know what her usual routine was like.

My present theory is that they were Lumbee Indians from Robeson Co., NC area which is just up Hwy 95 from where they were murdered. I also think it likely they ran into trouble in Florence County, and were taken across the county line, and shot in Sumter by someone who knew the area well.

I think the couple are what was once called tri-racial isolates, a mixture of European, Native American, and African-American heritage.

Someone in LE must have thought the same because one of the retired investigators sent the material on the case to another retired officer from NC.

Locklear is a very common last name among the Lumbees. That this couple was found on Locklear Rd. may have held some meaning to the killer/s.

That's an interesting theory, and definitely seems like a possibility, especially given that the investigator sent the case material to an investigator in NC...I didn't know about that before.

Also, do we know for sure what the name of the road is/was? I've seen Locklear a few times, but I've mostly seen Locklair. Are there different spellings, or was there a typo somewhere along the way (like in articles about the case or something), and it stuck?

Guys,
Do we all agree that there was 'likely' a cover-up or intentional lack of investigation by LE/ sheriffs depts.? What are the reasons someone in LE would cover this up for 30 yrs.??

Should we make a list of the 'reasons' this couple's identities would have been covered up and L. Henry not prosecuted on at least one Felony?

Number one is one of my Far-far Out theories:
1..Jock was working 'undercover' to discover some 'organized' illegal activity with a group of people in the S.C. area, and Jock had discovered that LE was involved....

While Jock and the Girl was away from the KOA, Someone searched through Jock's belongings ( I suspect David B. as that person) and
found his badge, investigation papers and 'who' he really was and why Jock was staying in the area..

The criminals were 'tipped' off and a 'hit' was ordered and carried out...by either L.H. or his Son....
The parents was eventually told some made-up story and the bodies shipped to them..the couple buried did not die in 1976...that's why DNA wasn't done way back!..:jmo

I'm not sure really sure about the cover up. I definitely think it's a possibility, but I'm not sure likely it is. I was thinking along the same lines, maybe no one was looking for them, because the bodies were secretly shipped back to the families. If they were some sort of undercover law enforcement investigating some sort of illegal activity, maybe local law enforcement wanted to keep their identities secret. If the people involved in whatever was going on found out that they were being investigated they would've probably left town, so law enforcement kept things quiet, hoping they could catch them. I don't know why they'd still be keeping it a secret 32 years later, though. And what about the DNA samples...if the bodies weren't actually in those graves, then who were they taking DNA from? Maybe the graves are empty, and the DNA thing was just for show, but if they were trying to keep the identities secret, why even the pretense of DNA testing? And if there are other bodies in the graves, then who are they? That's just opening up another mystery. I remember reading a comment to a news article saying something like "I know who they are and who killed them, and it wasn't in 1976". I couldn't really make any sense out of it the way it was worded, but maybe there's some truth in there somewhere, and the person just worded it in a weird way? I don't know, though...there are just soooooo many things about this case that don't make sense.

Guys,
Do we all agree that there was 'likely' a cover-up or intentional lack of investigation by LE/ sheriffs depts.? What are the reasons someone in LE would cover this up for 30 yrs.??

Should we make a list of the 'reasons' this couple's identities would have been covered up and L. Henry not prosecuted on at least one Felony?

Number one is one of my Far-far Out theories:
1..Jock was working 'undercover' to discover some 'organized' illegal activity with a group of people in the S.C. area, and Jock had discovered that LE was involved....

While Jock and the Girl was away from the KOA, Someone searched through Jock's belongings ( I suspect David B. as that person) and
found his badge, investigation papers and 'who' he really was and why Jock was staying in the area..

The criminals were 'tipped' off and a 'hit' was ordered and carried out...by either L.H. or his Son....
The parents was eventually told some made-up story and the bodies shipped to them..the couple buried did not die in 1976...that's why DNA wasn't done way back!..:jmo

I'm not sure I think there was a big conspiracy or cover-up. I am baffled as to why Lonnie Henry was let go when he committed a felony by trying to file the serial number off the gun.

One thing to remember about this case is that LE followed clues here and there but the one who pursued this case doggedly was former Sumter County Coroner Verna Moore. She had the assistance of LE to a point but the thinking of most of the LE officials about this crime is that they will never be identified and it will never be solved. Too many years have passed and too many other crimes have been committed. Like other people have said on here, there are other cases that take precedence over this one. And this case has a huge disadvantage due to lack of evidence and the passage of time. Also, and I hate to say this, but because LE is certain these kids weren't locals their thinking is that there just isn't a lot they can do because they have no idea where they are from. If the kids had been from SC and had been identified, the case would still be actively pursued because there would be family members in constant contact with LE trying to get the case solved. But since no one knows who they are or where they came from, they got put way on the back burner. It's a shame because they're just these 2 poor kids who ended up the way they did and nobody knows who they are. I think there may be 1 or 2 members of LE working with Verna Moore on this now but I'm not sure how actively things are being pursued. I know Verna is retired but she has no intention of giving up on this case. I don't know how limited her resources are now that she is no longer coroner. As coroner she could pick up the phone at any time and call the place in Texas and ask about the DNA but I don't know if she can do that now or if someone from the Sheriff Dept. has to do it. What needs to happen in this case, I agree, is to go back to square one. Talk to members of Lonnie Henry's family, talk to anyone they can find from David Batson's family or from that KOA. Look through all the files that they have and see if something was missed or see if there is anyone they can follow up with and talk to even today.

Here is the Doe Network page for Edward Arcand. I came across him in my original search, but discounted him because he's four inches shorter than the John Doe. I suppose there could've been a mistake, though, and the height listed is wrong.

For some reason I can't see the pics that Jane posted, but I do think there's a similarity in the pic on the AMP page. The Doe Network one looks less similar, although I think it's the same picture with different lighting. It makes the cheeks/jaw look different, though, and I kinda think it makes him look older.

The height of Jock Doe is approx 185cm and Edward 173

4 inches is not that much in the scheme of people getting measurements wrong.

Did you edit your post LOL ? I was about to reply to it but its all changed ?

The pic on the Janedoe page is squished and def lighting is diff so that the pic looks totally different
The AMP page is a very good picture of Edward to compare

It is Locklair Road. ShadeTreePI lives in the area and went down Locklair Road and posted photographs of the road sign on the Mystery Couple thread, but I think the pics are in thread #2 somewhere. - just found it...pic is in thread 2, post 210, page 9 - it's blurry but you can make out Locklair.

I think we need to establish contact with LE so some of our questions can be accurately answered. I know PhenolRed was in contact with Verna Moore. Anyone else willing to make a contact with the LE overlooking this case? I would, but unfortunately I've got way too much going one. I go days without reading email and I often can't answer my cell phone because I'm in classes or at work.

rmf and ShadeTreePI are in regular contact with Verna and LE in Sumter Co. But don't know if there has been anything new lately. I know they post updates when they can.

The height of Jock Doe is approx 185cm and Edward 173

4 inches is not that much in the scheme of people getting measurements wrong.

Did you edit your post LOL ? I was about to reply to it but its all changed ?

The pic on the Janedoe page is squished and def lighting is diff so that the pic looks totally different
The AMP page is a very good picture of Edward to compare

Yeah, there's a chance they could've gotten the height wrong.

I did. I wasn't seeing much similarity before I really took a good look at the AMP pic, but they look a lot more alike when you look at that one.

Yeah, there's a chance they could've gotten the height wrong.

I did. I wasn't seeing much similarity before I really took a good look at the AMP pic, but they look a lot more alike when you look at that one.

I honestly think it could be him.....

But I can not find the matching female from that time BUT what if he met her later on ?

What if he got into the shady side of life and or met a girl ? I don't know just reaching here..

Because it was a 14 months between him disappering and Jock Doe Turning up dead - lots could have happened ... he could have run off with a girl (but I would think a girl missing from that area would be easy to find if it was the same time frame)

The eyes and eyebrows are very similar....age group would fit too. Good possibility.

refresh my memory:
1. is they were camping at the campground, where are there belongings?
they had to have something, sleeping bags, vehicle, i don't think they
were hitchhikers = what someone pointed out on her shoe's. they were
not walking shoes.

if there is not report of their belongings from the campsite, then the owner of the campsite was in on it. there is shoddy investigation completely to me.
i wonder if they had a "hot" car, as talked about from before and perhaps some money on them.......and was a total inside job from the campsite owner and whoever else, maybe someone in the law inforcement......as in the gun and look the other way when they found it w/filed off numbers.

austrailia could be a possibility. i think they disapeared when we weren't so "web" savy and thus they are not on a site as in missing from the family = another country too.

bluestarzz

I noticed Edward Joseph ARCAND was missing many teeth and had some temporary fillings, where as Jock Doe had expensive dental work, with crowns, ect. Arcand also has a hernia scar....Jock had an appendectomy and two shoulder scars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni