GUILTY FL - Maria Nemeth, 31, brutally murdered, Sunrise, 20 Sept 2015

If Lopez's attorney doesn't order a psych exam for this ~man~, he needs to be replaced. I don't think Lopez is insane, but I think a professional should examine him -- if nothing else, for appeal reasons. Maybe she was fairly drunk as well, and maybe she really did say her ex's name. I think he was drunk on tequila (crazy juice, IMO) and lost his temper in a big way -- maybe her saying that name touched a raw nerve with him somehow. Something horrible did come over him, certainly, that night.

The folks who spoke of knowing him before this happened, spoke fondly of him and paid him compliments, etc. But hearing her say that name -- if she did -- sent him way off his cork somehow that night. I know I wouldn't like it one little bit for sure.

This case is gonna be a hum-dinger, I think, if we can stand it through the details... Oh, my. SMH. :(

This is truly appalling-makes me sick. I do hope she was so out of it didn't feel/know what was happening.

It still looks like this monster should be in court today at 1:30. This a capital case but I can't find any updated media about it.

That link doesn't seem to work anymore. There was a hearing 4/7, but I don't really understand the paperwork. Seems there is another continuance but I could not find a date. At least he can't get out of jail at this time.

I often think I would weenie out and not be able to swing a bat or shoot a gun at someone who threatened me. (My kid? Whole other story: I will kill a beesh)

But, (sorry), to actually reach in and ugh, do that, and see and feel the viscera....Holy Hell on Ice Skates. That ain't bath salts, that's broke-and-can't-be-fixed. Oh, and sheet house rat CRAZY.

I can't stop thinking about this. Wish I could.

bbm

Just re-reading some pages from this thread, and I have to say that the phrase above is all of it in a nutshell. There are no words that can make this one better after saying that at least her suffering is over. This crime brings a lifelong sentence on all those who loved her.

I can't imagine being a juror and evaluating this one and having to look at the pictures as a part of my duty as a US citizen.

Latest document shows that the depositions from the Sunrise Police Department police officers are scheduled for 12/07/2016!
I found it at the Broward County Clerk of Courts site, it is File 45995912, dated 9-1-2016. It sure seems it will take quite some time for Maria's family to see any justice.

Discovery documents have been released in the grisly death of a woman allegedly murdered by her boyfriend during sex.

Suspected killer Fidel Lopez underwent a grilling from Sunrise Police detectives during an hours-long interrogation last September.

(...)

Lopez maintained that he loved Nemeth. “She’s a good girl,” he said. “She’s a perfect girl, man. She’s my love.”

Then, a short time later, Lopez admitted that he snapped after Nemeth called him by her ex-husband’s name during sex.

(...)

Prosecutors also released a crime scene video taken after the murder. The video shows the apartment, an open bottle of tequila, sliced limes, a smashed sliding glass door and a hole in a wall. It also shows so an extremely bloody crime scene, especially in the closet.

Lopez’s attorney asked the judge in the case to keep these court documents and police videos hidden from the public. However, CBS 4 News went to court to make sure we could view them as public records, like we do in almost all high profile criminal cases.

(...)

Prosecutors also released transcripts of numerous phone calls that Lopez made from jail. In one of the calls, he told a family member that in the days after the murder he was being haunted by Maria Nemeth’s death and couldn’t sleep. He said, “Each time that I close my eyes I have that in mind.”
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/09/08/new-information-released-in-mutilation-sex-murder/

Crazy stories come out of Florida ALL the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Man

That's because we have the sunshine law, it happens other places too, you just don't get to read about it. And as far as he has to be on drugs, no, there is evil in this world, and you don't get all the details when the paper says a body was found or she was found dead in her apartment. This stuff happens, thank God it is rare, but it happens. I believe in evil among us. Never used too, but I do now.

I have to wonder, is this his first time doing this? Are there others? I can't believe he went from mildly aggressive to this. I would bet, he has been a bad boy for some time now.

bbm

Exactly. There is so much we cannot do -- but we can stand with the victim and his or her family.

You can pray too. I do all the time for the families of these horrific crimes. Now I get it.... "lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" Amen! Best prayer ever!

bbm

Just re-reading some pages from this thread, and I have to say that the phrase above is all of it in a nutshell. There are no words that can make this one better after saying that at least her suffering is over. This crime brings a lifelong sentence on all those who loved her.

I can't imagine being a juror and evaluating this one and having to look at the pictures as a part of my duty as a US citizen.

And all of the people, officers and detectives and commanders that had to work this case. The ME and staff, are also affected by this. How sad. I think you have to learn to put this somewhere in your mind, and release it, bits at a time to be able to do your job. I would not want to be on that jury either!

Urgh. I shudder when this case comes up, gotta be the worst I've read here.

Hoping this fella gets the death penalty, he's not fit to breathe our air.

Speedy trial demand knocks out death penalty in Sunrise disemboweling case
Attorneys defending a Sunrise man accused of disemboweling his girlfriend after she said another man's name during sex say they are ready for his day in court, prompting a Broward judge to set jury selection for Feb. 13.

Defense lawyer Melisa McNeill said Thursday that the decision to demand a speedy trial, a constitutional right waived more often than it's invoked, was made for one reason only. "We're ready for trial," she said.

The timing of the request has another benefit for Fidel Lopez, 25, who is charged with first degree murder and two counts of sexual battery in the Sept. 20, 2015 slaying of Maria Nemeth. Putting the case in front of a jury as soon as possible blocks the state from seeking the death penalty because Florida's method for imposing the sentence has been ruled unconstitutional.

Appeals court halts jury selection in Sunrise disemboweling case
An appeals court breathed new life into Broward prosecutors’ bid to seek the death penalty for Fidel Lopez, the Sunrise man who told police he disemboweled his girlfriend in a tequila-fueled rage in 2015.

The Fourth District Court of Appeal issued a stay early Monday afternoon, bringing jury selection to a sudden halt in the courtroom of Broward Circuit Judge Ilona Holmes.

Holmes had granted a defense motion for a speedy trial and barred prosecutors from seeking the death penalty in the gruesome case. Coupled with the defendant’s demand for a speedy trial, the timing could have spared Lopez from execution if he were to be convicted.

But prosecutors appealed Holmes’ order, and the higher court agreed to give the state at least enough time to make its argument to preserve the death penalty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back