Why have Lisa's parents stopped talking to the media?

I'm going to say the same thing I say every time I hear that Deb and Jeremy are going to talk to the media again. GREAT! Fantastic. I'm so glad Lisa's case is getting some media exposure. I'm hoping this will cause her forum to have more activity, it's been depressingly quiet around here. This will give us something new to talk about.

I also hope that D&J say something in their interviews that is interesting enough for other media outlets to pick it up and Lisa gets even more media exposure beyond two segments.

Okay, I know it probably looks hypocritical for me to criticize the Irwins for not talking to the media and then wonder what their motive is for speaking now. But the thing is I am judging how they have dealt with the media OVERALL. Back in October, we heard about them having a deal with national media, wouldn't talk to local, whatever. For Halloween, they let a media outlet film their other children trick-or-treating. We don't hear from them at all during the entire month of November, December, and January. Why not? The media was still very interested in this case at the end of October, so why not keep talking to keep the spotlight on Lisa? Okay, so now they do an hour-long interview on Dr. Phil. His show is watched by millions, so I am glad Lisa got the exposure. A few months later, they put up on a website about Lisa but don't let any media outlets know about it. Wouldn't that be a great way to get Lisa back in the news? 3-4 months after Dr. Phil, they are coming back on our TV with appearances on two shows. So when I look at their overall media history, it's very hinky.

Also one more thing....They will talk to the media but not LE!!!!

I don't understand how anyone that cares about Lisa Irwin, and what happened to her, can see the 2 interviews as a negative thing. Lisa's case needs exposure. Any time, anywhere, everything helps.

Also, perhaps the parents want to use these media outlets, that reaches thousands, to make known a possible medical issue with Lisa. It was in an update on the Find Lisa Irwin website.

I don't understand how anyone that cares about Lisa Irwin, and what happened to her, can see the 2 interviews as a negative thing. Lisa's case needs exposure. Any time, anywhere, everything helps.

Also, perhaps the parents want to use these media outlets, that reaches thousands, to make known a possible medical issue with Lisa. It was in an update on the Find Lisa Irwin website.

I care about Lisa Irwin very much and I see any media deal that brings them money to be a slap in the face of the memory of Lisa. Because I don't believe that Lisa is with us any longer, anything the parents do now is just for their own benefit. The media outlets can reach millions, but what good will it do Lisa if she is already gone...and I believe 100% that she is. I believe it is a negative thing because it is blood money the parents are receiving. If they are not being paid (which I highly would doubt), they are doing it to help cover up the fact that they will likely be arrested for it at some point and at least they can say that they did something.

They need to talk to LE...NOT the media!

From the TOS:

Organized Efforts- Email Campaigns-Boycotts-Petitions:

Obviously members are free to take up any and all causes that are important to them in an effort to bring about change. But using Websleuths as a platform to promote organized efforts such as email campaigns, boycotts, letter writing,etc. are strictly forbidden without the consent of the forum owners.If you have written a letter or taken any action in support of a cause, please refrain from posting about it. Support of a particular cause must be approved by the owners prior to posting links or information regarding any such effort. Causes can be questionable in nature, even though they appear to be honorable on the surface.As it relates to using WS as a platform for promotion,the owners investigate the nature and source of such campaigns and make their own decisions as to the legitimacy of each cause. Please do not suggest,directly or indirectly, that members support any type of organized effort without getting approval from forum owners first.

I was looking at past covers on People's website and one thing I noticed was: Every case that got the full cover is still infamous today, to various degrees. There was no case that would be considered obscure in 2012 and I bet that many people, who are old enough, would remember the cases.

These are the cases that made the cover at least 10+ years ago: Sunny Von Bulow, The Preppy Killer, Laurie Dann, Lisa Steinberg, Menendez Brothers, Carol Stuart, Central Park Jogger, Jeffrey Dahmer, Texas Cheerleader Plot, Brian Watkins, OJ, Polly Klaas, Long Island Lolita, Waco, Susan Smith, Jenny Jones Murder, Adrianne Jones, JonBenet, Dunblane Murders, Lisa Sobek, Pearl Mississippi HS Murders, Louise Woodward, Chandra Levy, Columbine, Tawana Brawley, Yosemite Murders. There are only two cases that as someone who follows true crime I don't recognize.

So being on the cover of People magazine is a BIG deal. They are not just putting the hot case of the moment on the cover. Almost every case that made the cover from the 80s and 90s is still notorious in 2012. Now, I am not saying that means Lisa's case will be remembered in 15 years. It's not as simple as People magazine cover = Infamy. But as you can see, People has a good track record when it comes to choosing cases for their cover. They aren't giving the cover to every case that makes national news....The case has to stand out in terms of circumstances, interest, and press.

So the cover of People magazine is further proof of the media's huge interest in this case. It wouldn't shock me if this case was supposed to be the replacement to Caylee Anthony; a case that would give the media years of ratings. But it didn't work out. And IMO, it's because Deborah and Jeremy stopped talking to the media. They did not capitalize on the media's interest in the case.

To the contrary, I feel like Desiree and Kaine got as much coverage out of Kyron's case as possible. You can talk to the media at every chance you get, but ultimately, it's up to them how much attention they are going to give your child's case. But I feel like Lisa's case had the potential to get a lot more media coverage than it did and should have been in the spotlight for much longer.

It does feel like the media ran to cover the Jerry Sandusky story, and that was the parent's opportunity to make the media forget about Lisa. I feel like innocent parents would still be talking to the media when the Sandusky case was happening---or getting their child's case back in the news as soon as that scandal started to fade from the headlines.

Thank you and exactly, "innocent parents", which they are not, would still (never stopping) from yelling for their baby from the rooftops. Sad case, horrible parents!!

I hope like hell they say the wrong thing on national T.V.

I want nothing more than to see Deborah crying her eyes out because she's being charged with the murder of Lisa.

It is a catch 22 with me. On one hand i am excited to see if there is anything new being reported, and to see Lisa's face in the media again. BUT on the other hand, i have many questions as to why now?

I just hope that this interview will be about Lisa and not about the negativity surrounding Deb.

ALL JMO

I wonder how many/which shows the parents will appear on for the 1st anniversary?

I always hold my breath when DB and JI give media interviews, hoping they slip up and say something that could break open the case

That's why their lawyers won't let them, IMO.

in the new book by kolar about the ramsey case, there is a quote that made me think of DB and JI and their posse of protection... i'll find the quote and post in a bit.

pg. 337:

... BPD investigators could not understand why the Ramsey family had taken refuge behind a wall of attorneys so early in the investigation. They had expected the family to be pounding down their doors wanting information about the status of the search for their daughter's killer.

-- eerily similar, no? lawyering up early only says one thing to many ppl invested in both cases...

does anyone know exactly when DB and JI obtained the services of lawyers a, b, c, ... ??

pg. 337:

... BPD investigators could not understand why the Ramsey family had taken refuge behind a wall of attorneys so early in the investigation. They had expected the family to be pounding down their doors wanting information about the status of the search for their daughter's killer.

-- eerily similar, no? lawyering up early only says one thing to many ppl invested in both cases...

does anyone know exactly when DB and JI obtained the services of lawyers a, b, c, ... ??

I believe they announced they hired Tacopina around October 18. They were silent for about 10 days, and then he appeared on the scene. So I'm assuming they started talking around October 8, which is right around when they stopped talking to LE.

pg. 337:

Lawyering up early does tend to catch my attention, but I don't put it on the guilt side. Sometimes, trust is completely lost between LE and the person(s) being interviewed, so they get an attorney.

Unlike the JBR case where the child was found murdered, the Irwin case is one of a missing infant, and I just don't think the parents have tried very hard to find her once they had their falling out with LE. I'm not saying Deborah IS culpable, but I suspect she is.

That's why their lawyers won't let them, IMO.

That's kind of surprising to me, if true. I still believe that the lawyers signed onto this case because of how high-profile it was in October. The Anthony trial had just ended, and they were hoping to be part of the next "big one". You would think they would be doing everything possible to keep the case in the news such has having the parents do interviews and releasing little tidbits. The lawyers have previous connections and experience with the media, and I'm sure they knew that having the parents go silent would not do good for their exposure. I don't know why they would care if the parents said anything incriminating in interviews because that would just increase the media coverage. I just feel like they purposely let the media attention slip away, and I will always wonder why.

Here's something else I wonder...

If Deborah and Jeremy decided to do another interview, they could definitely get some $$ for pictures and videos of Lisa. Now, I personally think they are guilty...and money is tempting to a lot of people, especially those who might have killed their kid...so why don't they just talk to get some money? Even if they're nervous that they might slip and say something incriminating...you would think they would do a national TV show every month or so. Right? Or maybe since the case is almost eight months old...not much happening...the media isn't offering as much money anymore or isn't that interested...but I'm kind of surprised if they are just refusing possibly thousands of dollars.

Although, since Jeremy is back at work...and the lawyers are paid for by the benefactor...and we haven't heard about any luxurious purchases the family has made...I wonder how much $$ they really made from videos/pictures of Lisa? It wouldn't surprise me if the media was able to get the footage for not that much due to D&J not being too media-savvy.

So I would not be surprised at all if Deborah and Jeremy pop up again....

They have Tacopina brokering for them.

By luxurious purchases, I was thinking of a new car or house. You're right that Deborah could buy, say, designer clothes and we would never know about it. Their lifestyle does not seem to have changed since October though.

I agree with you that D&J probably wouldn't get paid (much) for interviews at this point. I also can't see the two of them turning down thousands of dollars if it was still being offered to them. However, Jim Spellman has posted here that he would love to interview the Irwins so they could get national airtime on CNN or HLN very easily. It's unfortunate that D&J are not taking him up on his offer because it's a pretty "exclusive" one. Most parents of missing children do not have someone in the national media who would be willing to talk to them months later when their child's case is cold. I would guess that D&J could get on CNN or HLN for as long as Jim is working there. Can you imagine how beneficial that would be for truly innocent parents of a missing child?

We havent heard the Anthonys make much of a change either and they collected mega bucks. I think they are advised to lay low and not flaunt money till the case is completely out of the public eye.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back