Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 4 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm not as up on this case as I thought I was. Help me out here, if you would be so kind.

I could swear I've been reading in news articles and LE documents that the truck is Doug's. "estranged husband's truck". Maybe I'm thinking of another case. I'm following several.

Whose truck is it? Or does Venus have another estranged husband? Or?

Some of the reports have said it was Doug's truck, other said it was Venus's. Hence the question. But it must be registered to someone, so that should be verifiable. Even so, if it was matrimonal property its anyones guess who actually had it.

I think it is important to determine that from a source not directly involved with the case. If they don't, depending on how the whole alibi thing works out, you can see that becoming a contentious issue if this thing goes to trial.

He may not have had the truck for some time. Again, you are assuming HE had the truck. That is alleged, but AFAIK has not been proven.

Hmm. If he had not had the truck for some time, then why was the search warrant on the truck served on him?

She left the truck in Virginia, he had access to drive it. What am I missing?

I have followed this case since the first day it was in the news, started the thread on it. Now suddenly I feel like I do not know the first thing that is going on with it:crazy:

His alibi is either good forever or not. Just because they find more incriminating evidence pointing to him doesn't negate that they said he was in VA. And that it checked out. An alibi is an alibi and they don't waver.

Are you serious? You've never heard of cases in which alibis were later proven false? Or cases where the person providing the alibi admitted that he or she lied?

From May 7 article:

Risko said Venus Stewart’s estranged husband Douglas H. Stewart, of Newport News, VA, remains the sole “person of interest in the case.”

According to Risko, Douglas Stewart’s alibi that he was in Virginia at the time of the abduction “checks out so far.”

Risko said Douglas Stewart has retained an attorney and is “not cooperating” with investigators at this time.

The Newport News Police Department on Wednesday seized a Mercury sedan and a Dodge Ram owned by Douglas Stewart based on a Michigan search warrant. Risko said Michigan State Police lab technicians flew to Virginia and were checking the vehicles for evidence.

And on May 11:

Police initially said that Douglas Stewart's alibi checked out, but now that's being looked at again. “We are not leaving any stone unturned,” said Lt. Mike Risko, Michigan State Police.

Cases where alibis changed or crumbled:

James Earl Ray
Charles Russell Sterling Jr.
Roman Polanski
Edward Ates
OJ Simpson
Jordan Merrill
Cullen Davis...

Shall I go on?

Some of the reports have said it was Doug's truck, other said it was Venus's. Hence the question. But it must be registered to someone, so that should be verifiable. Even so, if it was matrimonal property its anyones guess who actually had it.

I think it is important to determine that from a source not directly involved with the case. If they don't, depending on how the whole alibi thing works out, you can see that becoming a contentious issue if this thing goes to trial.

Okay so we don't know whose name the truck is in right now. It's a toss up. Let's toss it up.

Venus was living with Doug in Virginia. Venus left Doug and went to Michigan. What happened to the truck? We have Venus' parents telling us that the truck didn't come to Michigan with Venus. We have no reason to doubt them. LE sure hasn't named *them* POIs. So a logical and reasonable conclusion (and let's please be logical and reasonable - it's late and I'm tired) is that the truck stayed in Virginia with Doug.

How could the truck logically and reasonably leave Doug's loving care at that point? Well, it could be stolen, sold, or loaned to someone. Was it? Logically and reasonably, no, because we have no indications whatever of any of those things happening.

Are you serious? You've never heard of cases in which alibis were later proven false? Or cases where the person providing the alibi admitted that he or she lied?

From May 7 article:

And on May 11:

Cases where alibis changed or crumbled:

James Earl Ray
Charles Russell Sterling Jr.
Roman Polanski
Edward Ates
OJ Simpson
Jordan Merrill
Cullen Davis...

Shall I go on?

I'm sure there are thousands of cases that can be cited where the original POI, suspect, or even the person convicted was not the person who was ultimately guilty of the crime as well.

Or he sold it. Or aliens took it.

:alien:
alien-abduction-spaceship.gif

I'll see if I can find the link, but I do remember it was in her name.

Douglas Stewart lives in a high rise apartment in Newport News. He told a 10 On your Side sister station he was in Virginia when his wife disappeared. 10 On your Side was unable to reach him for comment.

On April 28, a Newport News sergeant found a silver 2005 Dodge, four-door, pickup truck parked outside Douglas' apartment building. Michigan police wrote to Newport News counterparts that there may be evidence in the truck.

The affidavit for a search warrant explained, Venus owned a silver 2005 Dodge, four-door, pickup truck. Douglas had possession of the truck. A witness in Michigan told investigators she saw someone "crouched behind" a similar truck, just before Venus disappeared.

Newport News police have already taken pictures of the tire tread on the pickup truck. According to court records, a forensic scientist said the pictures show a general "tread pattern agreement" with tire impressions found near the suspected crime scene. Forensic investigators want to see the tires in person for additional tests.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/newport_news/missing-mom-case-leads-to-newport-news

I'm sure there are thousands of cases that can be cited where the original POI, suspect, or even the person convicted was not the person who was ultimately guilty of the crime as well.

Even with receipts in there car for a shovel, cap, gloves and a tarp?
ETA:
Don't forget, the tarp wrapper was left at the scene.

I was responding to an assertion by the poster that alibis don't change. That is the topic.

Let me sanity check one more thing. The PDs involved in this case - how're their reputations? At least as competent as the average PD? Or this case had the misfortune to somehow coincidentally end up with multiple agencies across completely different states just happen to end up all being a bunch of bumbling idiots?

Alibis fall apart. Happens all the time.

JMO

Let me sanity check one more thing. The PDs involved in this case - how're their reputations? At least as competent as the average PD? Or this case had the misfortune to somehow coincidentally end up with multiple agencies across completely different states just happen to end up all being a bunch of bumbling idiots?

Barney Fife types? :floorlaugh:

We've been reminded several times that MSP are very professional and very thourough.(sp?)

Barney Fife types? :floorlaugh:

MSP is very thorough and professional...and I'm sure they know WAY WAY WAY more than they have let on regarding this case. Bet on it. They are very competant, with the exception of the lag on DNA processing.

No idea about NNPD...

Seems to me that after reading the comments suggesting....
he didn't have the truck
alibis don't ever fall through
LE has no idea who has/had possession of the truck etc etc

The insinuation is that Venus' dad is the perp, had the truck, stages the scene with his daughter's slipper prints, churned up the mud, put the tracks of the tire where they could be found, drove the car(s) back to VA, and somehow got back to MI to bury his daughter, collect on her will, and stash the kids where Doug can't find them. This reminds me of another case where a case was made against a mom being the murderer by construing the evidence to make it fit the theory at the time.

This theory seems to be a complete dismissal of LE and their ability to solve a crime. I suppose if I put on defense attorney's hat, I could make a case against her dad and exonerate hubby, discuss the incompetentcies of LE, the brilliance of her dad to pull such a crime off, but at this point in the investigation, Venus' dad is not a suspect or a POI and I'm sure he and mom were interviewed and the house was searched at the time the crime was reported. If there was any evidence that Venus' dad had possession of the truck, had scratches or bruises on his body, there would have been an intense investigation. LE is more thorough than that. I do have trust in them. MOO

ETA: Oh, I forgot something - Venus' dad also went out, bought a tarp, threw it out but left the wrapper in the yard, hid the receipt on the floor of the truck, drove it back to Virginia all without a single person noticing anything unusual. What a guy!

MSP is very thorough and professional...and I'm sure they know WAY WAY WAY more than they have let on regarding this case. Bet on it. They are very competant, with the exception of the lag on DNA processing.

No idea about NNPD...

I know. It was a joke, jumping of of BeanE's post.

I think we all pretty much agree MSP is doing a good job.

Seems to me that after reading the comments suggesting....
he didn't have the truck
alibis don't ever fall through
LE has no idea who has/had possession of the truck etc etc

The insinuation is that Venus' dad is the perp, had the truck, stages the scene with his daughter's slipper prints, churned up the mud, put the tracks of the tire where they could be found, drove the car(s) back to VA, and somehow got back to MI to bury his daughter, collect on her will, and stash the kids where Doug can't find them. This reminds me of another case where a case was made against a mom being the murderer by construing the evidence to make it fit the theory at the time.
This theory seems to be a complete dismissal of LE and their ability to solve a crime. I suppose if I put on defense attorney's hat, I could make a case against her dad and exonerate hubby, discuss the incompetentcies of LE, the brilliance of her dad to pull such a crime off, but at this point in the investigation, Venus' dad is not a suspect or a POI and I'm sure he and mom were interviewed and the house was searched at the time the crime was reported. If there was any evidence that Venus' dad had possession of the truck, had scratches or bruises on his body, there would have been an intense investigation. LE is more thorough than that. I do have trust in them. MOO

BBM

Yes Eyes, we sleuthed that case together and it was torture the way the family was always blamed for everything.

I hope this case can stay on track and be friendly to the victim and her family.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member