WV - Man faces 393 counts of sex abuse

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
Man faces 393 counts of sex abuse

A Chapmanville man and former foster parent has been indicted by a grand jury on 393 counts of sexual abuse.
Johnny Buster Likens, 52, was arrested on Aug. 22 and will appear in court for the first time Tuesday.

He is now being held at Southwestern Regional Jail.

If convicted on all counts, Likens could spend the rest of his life in jail.

He is accused of molesting nine children who all lived in his home.

Much more at this link:

http://www.dailymail.com/story/News/+/2007012543/Man-faces-393-counts-of-sex-abuse

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

This site has probably been posted before, but I just recently saw it for the first time. It is great! Interactive list of registered sex offenders. You enter your address and it shows you where they live, where they work and has their picture.

teonspaleprincess said:
How awful!!! The foster system is supposed to be in place to help children and I am reading more and more about foster and adopted children who are taken in for this purpose. What a sick pervert. I hope he rots!! God bless all of those children.
Yes, you are right - we are hearing more and more of this. But we are also hearing more and more apalling stories about biological parents too. As a foster parent for 20 years, I can tell you that this is not the norm. We had to pass and extensive background check and have monthly visits for each child in our home. If each child had a different caseworker, we had a monthly visit from each one. At least 3-4 times a year, the caseworker would take the child to lunch, or shopping, etc. for some "alone" time. We each had to attend 30 hours of specialty training per year. We had to have fire and health inspections of our home every 2 years.

We were lucky to belong to a private foundation that worked with the state to place children, and they had the resources to provide such quality care. At least we were required to have a parenting "license".

Unfortunately, there are not enough resources to find good homes, monitor the homes, and spend time with the children that most need our help and attention. Background checks may not be as extensive, and monitoring of the children and families is not done as it should be. And unfortunately, there are not enough families willing to provide foster care services for the number of children that need them. It's a very sad state, but it is what it is, however unacceptable.

This is a horrible, horrible, unexcusable story. I hope it results in a complete overhaul of the foster system in the state. I am just absolutely sickened by this - 393 counts???? SOMEONE should have noticed and done something.

I do not defend all foster parents, just as I don't defend all biological parents. Basically, it boils down to good people and bad people. This was a BAD person !!

We eventually took in a family of 6, and they are grown now, and we have 13 grandchildren - the pride and joy of our lives !!

I find it very, very frightening that this guy has no criminal record and a current address listing in the white pages. I can't find anything on this guy. What's the deal here?

Did more checking through the West Virginia court system. I absolutely cannot find any trace of this guy ever being prosecuted.

All I could find was an obit... I think it is about his wife... It looks like she may have passed last year...

But, I could not find a single thing, on any trial, plea or the like...

so this guy had more charges then there are days in a year yet he's walking free with no record? good grief :(

Belinda--I'm working on this. Thanks for the heads up. I think this is him. I'm not going to link in case all charges have been dropped. But, go to whitepages and put in John Likens in Chapmanville, WV. He should come up.

He also has two younger male relatives (sons possibly) nearby whose names start with an "S" and an "E" and who are in their early 30s.

Haven't found anything about a dismissal.

I'm not finding anything either...just a motion from his "new attorney" Bill Lester for COV & judge to rule "next month" -- this was over 3 yrs ago....can't find him in prison using offender search. :eek: WTH happened??

He confessed!! So where's the trial, the plea, the sentence?

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/3424486.html

....According to a criminal complaint “Likens confessed to having sexual contact with 3 children and all 3 were living with him at the time."

“Working under the premise of taking in children with the promise of giving them a better life and offending them like this it certainly adds to it” said Sheriff Miller.

The victims in this case are now in state custody but the concern here is huge because police say Johnny Likens was a foster parent for years and brought as many as 1,800 children into his home!"

more at link

He confessed!! So where's the trial, the plea, the sentence?

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/3424486.html

....According to a criminal complaint “Likens confessed to having sexual contact with 3 children and all 3 were living with him at the time."

“Working under the premise of taking in children with the promise of giving them a better life and offending them like this it certainly adds to it” said Sheriff Miller.

The victims in this case are now in state custody but the concern here is huge because police say Johnny Likens was a foster parent for years and brought as many as 1,800 children into his home!"

more at link

I checked the Southwestern Regional Jail - shows he was booked 12/10/2008 & his name comes up when doing inmate search...maybe he's really still in jail?

ETA: inmate search shows "Imprisonment Status: Pre-Trial Felon"

Thanks for checking it out guys. I am completely perplexed and am just hitting brick walls on information. How can this guy not be in jail? It simply boggles the mind.

Just saw your post TexasMist. The criminal record site I use has nothing on him. How did you find him? By going to the nearest jail to his home? If you don't want to reveal your methods, that's fine. I'm just really trying to get good at this research thing and want to figure out what I failed to check.

If you go to MS and search for the Likens last name in Chapmanville, a page comes up for a woman with the initial "J". Go to her page and check out her pics. Please tell me that Johnny is NOT Papaw--the one on the couch with the two little kids.

I went and found the information TexasMist directed us to and it appears to me that he is still in pre-trial detention. It says bail is $0.00, so I think he is being held without bail.

Missizzy - I don't have a MS account, but if you check the site TexasMist referred to, it has a picture of him you can compare it to.

Now I'm back to wondering if he is still in jail. While he comes up under the WV Regional Jail & Corrections Facility, he does not come up under WV Division of Corrections, which says it only lists persons under active supervision. Is there some sort of disconnect between these programs?

Now I'm back to wondering if he is still in jail. While he comes up under the WV Regional Jail & Corrections Facility, he does not come up under WV Division of Corrections, which says it only lists persons under active supervision. Is there some sort of disconnect between these programs?

It looks like he's being housed in a big ol' regional jail...the DoC records may only be prison.

I found the Southwestern Regional Jail in an article that had a link to it & Likens showed up...thinking it was maybe old cached info I tried a search myself & found him.

He didn't show up in WV's Vinelink, either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back