GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting. McDaniel did deny having a master key.
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Changes-at-Lauren-Giddings-Crime-Scene-126038238.html
It could, potentially, be more damning as well. A bump key is generally used only by locksmiths and burglars. McDaniel could explain having a master key by saying he borrowed it from the manager and forgot to give it back. But, I don't think he could very easily explain having a bump key.
Oh, and a bump key is very easy to make.

I think a bump key is significantly easier to explain. He is a geeky/nerdy kid who wanted to see if he could do it. There are hundreds of guides available online and incredibly easy to make.

I think a bump key is significantly easier to explain. He is a geeky/nerdy kid who wanted to see if he could do it. There are hundreds of guides available online and incredibly easy to make.

Ok, I can agree with that. I just went to Youtube and found many videos of people making bump keys for no purpose other than to demonstrate how it's done.

But, the phrase was "Master Key" wasn't it? If that is the wording used to describe the key, I would have to assume that is exactly what they meant. Not a bump key or anything else.

Hmmm. Thinking of the key. I read once that there were only about 200 different combinations to keys. That means there is a chance that 2 keys to different places match up. Same with most cars, especially older ones without the computer locking thing. It may not be the case, but something to consider.

But, the phrase was "Master Key" wasn't it? If that is the wording used to describe the key, I would have to assume that is exactly what they meant. Not a bump key or anything else.

You are correct. The term being used by Spencer the downstairs neighbor and the media is "master key". But my understanding is that a master key would be much more difficult to obtain. And MB has stated that only himself BB and the building manager ever had master keys. And McD has denied having one (not the we can trust that statement). And I can see how a bump key could be mistaken for a master key if it weren't looked at closely. This is all just speculation to try to figure out how McD had a key that would unlock other doors in the apartment complex. He may very well have borrowed one from the manager at some point and made copy before returning it.

True, but I see how it could have been given to him as a way to make their lives easier. "If someone gets locked out of their apartment, can you just let them in and save me a trip out here?" Of course, none of the managers that have been in charge during his time at the apartments would ever admit that now.

I still see how a random key could accidentally match the master key. Not highly likely, but possible. The only out for that case is for him to provide the alternate lock it was made for, whether it be his house in his hometown, or an office somewhere, or wherever it is. I don't see that being the case, but it is a possibility. I remember a local girl getting in trouble for stealing a car. Turned out the key to her parents' car matched another car in the parking lot that looked like their car. She simply drove home in the wrong car. So, it does happen. BTW, that case was dropped.

[One thing I've wondered about the email: Say the perp did write it. Suppose it said something like, "you know, the hoodlums apparently were messing around my place the other night, trying to break in I think, and here I am already stressed over getting ready for the bar exam, I'm actually getting jumpy around here, not normal for me -- I need a change of scene. Think I may just go rent a motel room and disappear for a while, do some serious studying ... OR EVEN Think I'll go stay with (whoever) fora few days, but remember, my cell phone never works out that way so don't worry if I'm a little out of touch for a while."

That kind of email would have made more sense for the perp to write, rather than one saying "I'm really scared here", leaving the impression that someone needed to check in on LG. Of course, when things turned out as they did, it would have been a red flag that she DIDN'T actually write it... could it be something like that, with LE and family holding that info back for now?[/QUOTE]

...unless the perp was panicked and just didn't think to say all of that

True, but I see how it could have been given to him as a way to make their lives easier. "If someone gets locked out of their apartment, can you just let them in and save me a trip out here?" Of course, none of the managers that have been in charge during his time at the apartments would ever admit that now.
This is possible, but when BB asked Mcdaniels Lawyer to find out how McD had gotten a master key, why didn't they simply say "You gave it to McDaniel".
I still see how a random key could accidentally match the master key. Not highly likely, but possible. The only out for that case is for him to provide the alternate lock it was made for, whether it be his house in his hometown, or an office somewhere, or wherever it is. I don't see that being the case, but it is a possibility. I remember a local girl getting in trouble for stealing a car. Turned out the key to her parents' car matched another car in the parking lot that looked like their car. She simply drove home in the wrong car. So, it does happen. BTW, that case was dropped.
I had considered the random match and liked it until I came across this article that mentions the key "would open any" of the apartment locks.
http://www.macon.com/2011/07/21/1638361/mcdaniel-apartment-searched-for.html#storylink=misearch
Good to know that case was dropped.

While discussing this key, let's not forget that we are working with hearsay, as reported in the media. That means that in addition to the possibility that it's taken out of context in some way during reporting, we are also taking the word of the property owner regarding what SM said (via his lawyer) when it may not be true or accurate.

Maybe what the lawyer actually said was, "What master key? He doesn't know anything about any master key. He has no idea what you're talking about", because while he had a master key, he didn't know it was a master key. This would go along with a rumor (and only a rumor) I have heard that SM may not be the only tenant that unknowingly received a master key. It might also be taken as a denial by SM that he ever had such a key.

While discussing this key, let's not forget that we are working with hearsay, as reported in the media. That means that in addition to the possibility that it's taken out of context in some way during reporting, we are also taking the word of the property owner regarding what SM said (via his lawyer) when it may not be true or accurate.

Maybe what the lawyer actually said was, "What master key? He doesn't know anything about any master key. He has no idea what you're talking about", because while he had a master key, he didn't know it was a master key. This would go along with a rumor (and only a rumor) I have heard that SM may not be the only tenant that unknowingly received a master key. It might also be taken as a denial by SM that he ever had such a key.

If that rumor turns out to be true, it would be pretty embarrassing for Barristers Hall. If I were MB or BB I'd be replacing those locks and gathering up old keys as quickly as possible.

Early in the investigation LE stated that they had two POI's. Have they ruled out either of these or added to the list? Does anyone have an idea who the second poi is?

Around town, the rumor is only that it is another law student associated with Mercer.... I have not seen any real information in the news besides the brief mention of a second POI. No names or descriptions.... So far, only rumors... HTH.... :)

But, I keep thinking about how strong she was physically. I think someone strong had to take her. That makes me lean towards someone she knew who was very athletic or physically active - think someone who works out all the time or is in a physically demanding job. This person had to have the strength to overpower her quickly, shut her up, get her out of sight, and do whatever they did. They had to be able to easily manipulate moving a body and then have the strength and endurance to manage whatever tools were needed to dismember the body.

But, as you know from the field you work in, a mentally disturbed person can have multiple times the strength of a "normal" person, and if she were taken by surprise, it might not matter how strong shse was. JMO

Ok. I feel like you guys are missing my point. People were speculating as to why the FBI got involved from the start.

I just pointed out that there was a torso found or a runner June 27, 2004. It just seemed similar.

I do not think that this is a serial killer situation, but was just trying to point out that there might have been a reason for them to get involved in the beginning.

Sorry.
You presented an interesting idea, and that's what we do here, share ideas. We don't always agree, but all ideas and opinions are worthy of consideration, and none moreso than another. You have no reason to be sorry. :).

Did they ever say who called BB at 3 AM when they found the note on her door?
Also, you have a bunch of people who were in Law school opening up her apartment and investigating Lauren's whereabouts in what potentially could be a crime scene. That is a little weird. Maybe some of those people are POIs????

Mentally ill alone usually does not make them stronger. Drugs do. Not medically prescribed treatment, but street drugs. The bath salts are horrible! We have people coming in to the ER absolutely delusional with unbelievable strength. However, they look like they have been half beaten to death afterwards from the damage. And they usually are not coherent enough to make a plan to do something like this, much less clean it up.

Surprisingly, pure mental illness tends to weaken a lot of people. Even when they are psychotic, they are not usually able to focus enough to complete a plan. I very, very seldom see someone with mental illness (minus any drug abuse) who has a lot of extra strength. And even fewer who can complete a plan like this. Now, those who are antisocial or sociopathic are a whole different story. The thing is, that really is not a mental illness as much as a personality disorder. And those people tend to leave a wake of damage in their past, from destroying others careers, to killing animals as a child, to ruining an ex's reputation or even their credit, to murdering those who get in their way. It is not likely this would be the very first horrible thing someone with that personality disorder would have done.

If that rumor turns out to be true, it would be pretty embarrassing for Barristers Hall. If I were MB or BB I'd be replacing those locks and gathering up old keys as quickly as possible.

Hopefully, they are replacing the locks no matter what.

One month ago today, June 25th, was the last communication anyone ever received from Lauren.
Hence, this post is for Lauren.

To Lauren Teresa Giddings
from all of us posters here at WS:​

Most of us never had the privilege of meeting you,
but in our own way,
we feel like we have come to know what a wonderful, loving, and accomplished person you are.

Lauren,
you have touched our lives like no other
and
have brought it home to our hearts to live each day to the fullest.
You have motivated us to work unrelentingly
until our dreams become reality,
to run the race even if it takes us directly into the deepest part of the river
and
to make 50 sunflower cupcakes for someone we love.

We are here on WS sharing information
in an attempt to find answers,
because we are deeply affected and saddened by this tragedy
that cost you the most sacred of all things:
your beautiful life.

However, Lauren,
we will not be distracted or discouraged by the turbulent waters
that surround us as we travel through our days…
for we are only passing through.
And even though we did not have the opportunity to meet you in this life,
our hope is to meet you in the next.​
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With loving thoughts of Lauren
&
Prayers for her family and friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Please see photos of Lauren
Mercer University Law School Commencement
May 14, 2011​

Attachments

• RAI-0330-M[1].jpg
    RAI-0330-M[1].jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 31
  • RAI-0161-M[1].jpg
    RAI-0161-M[1].jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 30
  • RAI-0195-M[1].jpg
    RAI-0195-M[1].jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 31
  • lauren.jpg
    lauren.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 29
That had slipped my mind. The Mercer Student IDs are also keys. They can be used to open certain doors at the schools. That can include some dorms. I have to think someone at the school thought to disable hers since it was missing. If not, and SM is not the person, it means someone else could get into various locations at the colleges, possibly even dorm buildings.

that's really a scary thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member