MO - Lisa Irwin, 10 months, Kansas City, 4 Oct 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP_ I'm stuck in an endless loop.......

read comments to bottom of page......refresh page.......more comments........read comments to bottom of page........refresh page.........more comments.........

Try using the restroom, setting the table and checking the oven and then you can have 4+ pages to catch up on. :seeya:

But can't a judge issue a subponea? And his subponea would provide the same protections.

From what I understand, a grand jury protects individuals involved in the process - individuals on the prosecutory side. If it all falls apart and it ends up being wrong, or evidence is gathered from innocent folks, etc, it can all be blamed on "the grand jury" - on a group of 12 people rather than the prosecutor or a judge taking the fall.

my two cents after watching a lot cases: the grand jury and prosecutor do not hear evidence just based on video news crews have shot...

more to this..

moo

Yep, I agree. This turn is a surprise to me. I kow you already know this but just bouncing off your post. A Grand Jury's job is to decide if there is sufficient evidence to go to trial. The videos maybe needed to show contradictions in the parent's stories. Wow, I guess the race is on to see who spills first.

I'm thinking they pretty much know what happened and who is recsponsible.

In order for LE to supoena the raw, unedited tapes....they have to know somehow that there is something on said tapes that helps their case. How do they know?

Someone who works for the news agency, maybe? Perhaps, someone noticed something relevant during editing?

In order for LE to supoena the raw, unedited tapes....they have to know somehow that there is something on said tapes that helps their case. How do they know?

Not necessarily. There could have been something on one of the videos that was aired. But LE would want the raw unedited video to use for court and GJ purposes to show that it wasn't something that was edited to sound that way.

Part of me says what could they have missed in the 1-2 days they were in there looking around. But another part of me says maybe they did miss something the first time. And after all they did go back there today.

I'll admit I'm all over the place with my 'feelings' about baby Lisa. I was sure it was a stranger abduction, then I thought her parents were involved. Today I keep thinking about the siblings.....could they have accidently killed Lisa and the parents are covering for them?

IDK, If only a live and well baby Lisa could be found. :(

imo

Grand juries are often used when LE has compelling evidence but lacks enough to convince a DE to go to trial...and they are used as investigative tools to get witnesses on the record. They are not only used by corrupt/publicity-seeking DAs (i.e., Duke lacross). They are tools in many serious cases by competent LE/DA offices, such as in the Drew Peterson/Stacy Peterson case...which was, IMO, hardly on the same level as the Duke kacross case. Grand juries can be tools. I have heard nothing about KC LE as of yet to think they would use this tool blindly or without cause.

But they haven't even named anyone a suspect.

They may never name a suspect. It's not a necessary step in the legal process. I'm not really surprised in this case, though. The KCPD seem to be keeping everything close to the vest.

Perhaps the homeless guy is in the background of some video? Just a thought. Some criminals return to the scene to watch the LE response.

But can't a judge issue a subponea? And his subponea would provide the same protections.

They can.....but with the whole freedom of the press thing....it gets tricky. I am going to defer to the real lawyers on this one, but there is always an argument that can be made to keep their info. THEIRS....

Also, the locals will know....but at least some counties in Missouri have standing grand juries that serve for a certain number of months at a time rather than being seated just to hear one case....IIRC

jmo

If I had committted a crime and there was all this activity going on around the neighborhood where I did said crime, I'm not sure I'd stay away. That is, if I hadn't taken off out of the area. I'd have to know what was going on and hear what people were saying or doing just in case someone stated they'd seen or heard something that night. There's a good possibility I'd be in some video footage -- maybe more than once. JMO

OMG -- I said something I swore I would never say on WS. If it were me I would do .....

Grand juries are often used when LE has compelling evidence but lacks enough to convince a DE to go to trial...and they are used as investigative tools to get witnesses on the record. They are not only used by corrupt/publicity-seeking DAs (i.e., Duke lacross). They are tools in many serious cases by competent LE/DAY offices, such as in the Drew Oeterson/Stacy Peterson case...which was, IMO, hardly on the same level as the Duke lacross case. Grand juries can be tools. I have heard nothing about KC LE as of yet to think they would use this tool blindly or without cause.

Someone who works for the news agency, maybe? Perhaps, someone noticed something relevant during editing?
They said the guy who saw a man with a baby did not want to go on camera. Wonder if they might have filmed some of him before he said that.

Well, since this is quite plainly a "house of interest" now....what are the so called issues?

Does the brushy state attract unwelcome visitors? (for lack of all encompassing words - hobos or loadies, etc)
Not even going there!

Okay, take a look at this, this says that there is usually an arrest prior to a case going to a grand jury. Now maybe someone is about to get arrested? I am still confused, but what else is new???
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/charged-with-crime-how-29677.html

Casey Anthony was arrested promptly after being indicted by the grand jury in Florida.

I would think that most of the time, they would go ahead and wait to make an arrest. Wouldn't you wait to see if it the grand jury votes to indict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member