Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

And then, there's this.

So, I brought them both in; they were playing hard in the backyard, but Gracie gave up the game readily. Romi, not so much, and didn't come in. So I went and picked him up.

In an effort to get him to use his legs rather than my arms as a mode of transportation in the house, I took him to the doorway of my bedroom, where their beds are. I put Romi down, and, thinking he'd just go to his spot on the far side of the bed, I called Gracie in.

Nope. Romi decided to get into Gracie's bed. And Gracie joined him. They both got treats in the bed, and it seems big enough to hold them both...but I'm wondering how the night will go. It's so like a cage that I didn't think he'd like it, you know? It's a 4x4 pen, well padded, and Gracie has slept there her whole life.

I don't know if they'll share nice, or if this was a poor choice by Romi, but I will be there with them, so if something happens, separation is easy. And since Romi chose it, and seemed to really want to be there, I think it's a good time to see if they can do inside what they do outside...and that is sleep together.

Best-
Herding Cats

aww He wants to be with Gracie or dominate her space. I dunno but maybe just maybe he loves to be by her side.

You are the best! Can we all come live with you ;) Just kiddin' :)

aww He wants to be with Gracie or dominate her space. I dunno but maybe just maybe he loves to be by her side.

You are the best! Can we all come live with you ;) Just kiddin' :)

LOL.

After I removed the bones he was hoarding and growling about, they are doing just fine. Neither one is snoring, which means they're not sleeping deeply, but I offered to move him, and he refused. LOL. So, there they stay.

Gracie isn't quite so sure about it...she kept looking at me for reassurance. But once I turned the light out, she settled down, Romi settled down, and not a peep heard from either one.

Of course, this is only 3 hours in...and I'm only here because I am having yet another insomniac night. But so far, so good with those two.

We'll see if it continues to the morning.

Best-
Herding Cats

LOL.

After I removed the bones he was hoarding and growling about, they are doing just fine. Neither one is snoring, which means they're not sleeping deeply, but I offered to move him, and he refused. LOL. So, there they stay.

Gracie isn't quite so sure about it...she kept looking at me for reassurance. But once I turned the light out, she settled down, Romi settled down, and not a peep heard from either one.

Of course, this is only 3 hours in...and I'm only here because I am having yet another insomniac night. But so far, so good with those two.

Best-
Herding Cats

I don't know why but I'm wired nocturnal. I keep telling myself that around 11 I should take an ambien some night and then fight the urge to get up at 3am, but for some reason I just like it better at night. :waitasec:

So everybody made it through the night, nicely and without any issues. I don't know if either dog slept really well, and they were in the same position as they were when I last checked on them before crashing.

Interesting. Not sure if this will be repeated, because Romi chose the spot and he may not choose it again tonight, but we will see. Not sure what to think about this, either. I life that Romi had the confidence to give something new a try, though. GO ROMI!

Now to just get him used to the leash somehow. That continues to be the biggest challenge...

Best-
Herding Cats

So everybody made it through the night, nicely and without any issues. I don't know if either dog slept really well, and they were in the same position as they were when I last checked on them before crashing.

Interesting. Not sure if this will be repeated, because Romi chose the spot and he may not choose it again tonight, but we will see. Not sure what to think about this, either. I life that Romi had the confidence to give something new a try, though. GO ROMI!

Now to just get him used to the leash somehow. That continues to be the biggest challenge...

Best-
Herding Cats

Tonight let Gracie in first and instead of the leash try the harness. JMO

I don't know why but I'm wired nocturnal. I keep telling myself that around 11 I should take an ambien some night and then fight the urge to get up at 3am, but for some reason I just like it better at night. :waitasec:

My Father-in-law, Sis-in-law, Husband, Son are/were night people. My other Sis-in-law is the "hated morning singing chipper person" LOL

We always said they are part cat. :D And "morning sunshine" is part robin.

Herding Cats,
Hope you all had a great day!
Love your updates :)

My Father-in-law, Sis-in-law, Husband, Son are/were night people. My other Sis-in-law is the "hated morning singing chipper person" LOL

We always said they are part cat. :D And "morning sunshine" is part robin.

Herding Cats,
Hope you all had a great day!
Love your updates :)

I wish I knew why, but I just like the night quiet I guess. :dunno:

He is doing well, after all he has been through, he needs stability.
I think that you will worry and fret about him forever. Not a good thing for either of you.
Keep him.
Dee

QUOTE=Herding Cats;7564432]LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats[/QUOTE]

Just laughing here tonight. I sent Gracie to bed first, and then picked up Romi and brought him into the bedroom. Grace was in bed...but it was MY bed she was in. LOL. So I put Romi onto the bed and we three had a good long snuggling session.

I stood up, told Gracie off and to bed; she went. While she was doing that, Romi hopped off the bed (for the first time!) and went to his own bed. They both got treats, along with the cats (it's like a feeding frenzy in there with this particular treat...), and now it's my turn to hit the sack.

Just cracked me up...Gracie went to bed, but it was the wrong bed. Then, when she went into her bed, Romi hopped down and went to his. It was too cute.

I've figured out their relationship; she's the bodyguard and safety zone, and he's her minion. Except when it comes to bones...that's a different story. But in every other way, she's the bodyguard and he's the minion.

They were playing hard today while I was doing yard work, and it was so cool to just watch them. He'd literally bomb Gracie, then run as fast as he could the other way. She'd chase him, and corner him. He'd nail her again, and run, pell mell, and she'd chase him again.

He is one fast, fast little guy. He's getting SO strong, and it's so neat to see the muscles coming up and out. And his newest favorite thing to do is stand between Gracie's front legs and look out from under her chin. Very funny (and yes, I've tried to get photos of it, but have not been able to yet...).

So I'm heading to bed. These two bring such joy to my world...

Best-
Herding Cats

Just laughing here tonight. I sent Gracie to bed first, and then picked up Romi and brought him into the bedroom. Grace was in bed...but it was MY bed she was in. LOL. So I put Romi onto the bed and we three had a good long snuggling session.

I stood up, told Gracie off and to bed; she went. While she was doing that, Romi hopped off the bed (for the first time!) and went to his own bed. They both got treats, along with the cats (it's like a feeding frenzy in there with this particular treat...), and now it's my turn to hit the sack.

Just cracked me up...Gracie went to bed, but it was the wrong bed. Then, when she went into her bed, Romi hopped down and went to his. It was too cute.

I've figured out their relationship; she's the bodyguard and safety zone, and he's her minion. Except when it comes to bones...that's a different story. But in every other way, she's the bodyguard and he's the minion.

They were playing hard today while I was doing yard work, and it was so cool to just watch them. He'd literally bomb Gracie, then run as fast as he could the other way. She'd chase him, and corner him. He'd nail her again, and run, pell mell, and she'd chase him again.

He is one fast, fast little guy. He's getting SO strong, and it's so neat to see the muscles coming up and out. And his newest favorite thing to do is stand between Gracie's front legs and look out from under her chin. Very funny (and yes, I've tried to get photos of it, but have not been able to yet...).

So I'm heading to bed. These two bring such joy to my world...

Best-
Herding Cats

Sounds like he's a keeper. :beagle: :thumb:

These two bring such joy to my world...

And mine too. Thank you so much again for sharing! When there is so much sad/bad news out there, it's wonderful to come here and share in your and your animals' lives.

So, I called the Beagle people, and asked them to bring the final paperwork over tomorrow. After watching Romi with Gracie, really just concentrating on their interaction and relationship, I don't think think that Romi would do well without his bodyguard Gracie, and I think Gracie would miss her minion.

As for the relationship between me and Romi, while I'd like to think I'm irreplaceable, I think he might be all right with someone else. But I'm also not sure. And because I'm not sure, I don't want to wonder, worry, and be upset about letting him go.

But mostly, it's his relationship with Grace that convinced me. They do love each other, and both get a lot from the relationship together. He is learning how to be himself from her, how to be a dog, and that's something I can't really ever teach.

Besides, I was listening to the chorus of snores last night, and thought 'well, I need to hear them snoring to be able to sleep, now!' LOL, it's like white noise...or listening to your child breathing. If they're not snoring, I'm not sure they're all right. LOLOL.

So Romi's home. Has been for a while, and nothing will change in his care and his life.

And I'm happy he came to me...of all the folks that he could've gone to, his lifepath brought him to me. I have been learning so much about healing and resilience from this little guy, and it's giving me strength in ways I hadn't realized.

Yeah, Romi's home. Laying on the hearth dreaming now, and he's home.

Best-
Herding Cats

So, I called the Beagle people, and asked them to bring the final paperwork over tomorrow. After watching Romi with Gracie, really just concentrating on their interaction and relationship, I don't think think that Romi would do well without his bodyguard Gracie, and I think Gracie would miss her minion.

As for the relationship between me and Romi, while I'd like to think I'm irreplaceable, I think he might be all right with someone else. But I'm also not sure. And because I'm not sure, I don't want to wonder, worry, and be upset about letting him go.

But mostly, it's his relationship with Grace that convinced me. They do love each other, and both get a lot from the relationship together. He is learning how to be himself from her, how to be a dog, and that's something I can't really ever teach.

Besides, I was listening to the chorus of snores last night, and thought 'well, I need to hear them snoring to be able to sleep, now!' LOL, it's like white noise...or listening to your child breathing. If they're not snoring, I'm not sure they're all right. LOLOL.

So Romi's home. Has been for a while, and nothing will change in his care and his life.

And I'm happy he came to me...of all the folks that he could've gone to, his lifepath brought him to me. I have been learning so much about healing and resilience from this little guy, and it's giving me strength in ways I hadn't realized.

Best-
Herding Cats

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::rocker::rocker::great: :great: :great:

You weren't going to breed Gracie anyway so another dog friend doesn't have to be a Newfus Doofus. (That what simon calls her) I'm glad you're happy with your decision and so am I.

As for the BBM

There is no way on earth that you are replaceable. I bet Romi feels that way. Even though Simon thinks you're a bossy pants I think he'd call you irreplaceable too. :hug:

Best-
Herding Cats

Whew. Oh my gosh, I've been afraid to come here to check. Thank you HC..

I am in so Cal to. We are in Fallbrook. Ru nearby? Pm me. Happy sleeps with contented snores to you and yours.

No, Kali, closer to Los Angeles. And thanks - between him and Gracie and the cats, it's always amazing that I sleep at all. LOL.

And yes, R&R, I have to say, I really, really took my time and watched them; I let them tell me what they wanted. It was so apparent...so clear. So obvious. And of course I knew that, but...still, I had to pay some serious attention to recognize it if that makes sense.

Sorry to have scared you. I'm just trying to do right by this guy, and wasn't sure until yesterday/this morning that this was his home. I am now, and it's good.

Best-
Herding Cats

No, Kali, closer to Los Angeles. And thanks - between him and Gracie and the cats, it's always amazing that I sleep at all. LOL.

And yes, R&R, I have to say, I really, really took my time and watched them; I let them tell me what they wanted. It was so apparent...so clear. So obvious. And of course I knew that, but...still, I had to pay some serious attention to recognize it if that makes sense.

Sorry to have scared you. I'm just trying to do right by this guy, and wasn't sure until yesterday/this morning that this was his home. I am now, and it's good.

Best-
Herding Cats

Herding Cats -- Hooray! I am delighted by your decision!

I had been meaning to post here to tell you that I am sorry for "pressuring" you to make Romi's permanent home with you. I thought I was being unfair to you to impose my judgments and desires upon you.

Unfortunately, it has been a really difficult 2 days at Websleuths, having to deal with the murder of the 2 Cox boys at the hands of their evil father, Josh. Your news this morning brings a ray of happiness and the hope that, yes, stories can have happy endings -- and sweet little tortured dogs can be rescued by white knights and go and live forever with princesses in fairy tale castles! (Oops-- I am getting a bit carried away).

I think your reasoning is sound. It's not so much about us humans, but about the dogs. To pull such good friends away from each other is not a kindness -- and we need to be kind to each other and all of Creation.

Thank you for lifting my heart. I will let my four-legged friends know the great news!

Penelope, how could it be pressure when I asked for your opinions? LOL, bless your heart.

And the Cox situation is why I decided to post last night. I know not everyone follows this thread (and not even most), but I thought I should post up and let you know one story's ending...and hoped it would bring a little goodness into a few days of horridness.

I am glad he's home.

And Steely, "Newfus Dufus?" Seriously? Me and da Booger Boy have got to talk.

Best-
Herding Cats

As the self-proclaimed President of the Romi Fan Club I am overjoyed at this news! Bless you, Herding Cats!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back