SAR mapping/satellite of the river

I'm of course crashing my computer with mapping software, but I am interested in E.23rd and 12th St access, E Truman, and the Union Pacific tracks south of there.

Pick the Kansas River here:
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=eax
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6
go to history

Trying to pull up the google image now. Hopefully these do not link as current.
Got current on the first one, going to check the second. I have a feeling you may have to screenshot it if you want the past data, that's what I've done in the past anyways.

Got current on the first one, going to check the second. I have a feeling you may have to screenshot it if you want the past data, that's what I've done in the past anyways.

Ok- I have to go from my desktop in order to screenshot. Will do that later today. Will resort to google in the meantime and see if I can imbed without laptop having a heart attack.

In the meantime, take a look at N. Brighton S, follow sharp turn W- you'll see three access points within 1/2 a mile. Then follow the river another 2.9 miles. Follow 210 (Armour) then ignore 35 and go to 9. Follow 9. See that spot where there are tons of vehicle access points? Looks to me like that 'path' would have flooded and then whirlpooled. Thoughts?

Can give coordinates if that is easier for folks using google maps/earth. Maybe that would be easiest.

Ok- I have to go from my desktop in order to screenshot. Will do that later today. Will resort to google in the meantime and see if I can imbed without laptop having a heart attack.

In the meantime, take a look at N. Brighton S, follow sharp turn W- you'll see three access points within 1/2 a mile. Then follow the river another 2.9 miles. See that spot? Looks to me like that 'path' would have flooded and then whirlpooled. Thoughts?

Yep. I'm on my netbook right now, so the screenshot would be too small, will try to break it down later on the big screen.

You think there should be a search there?

I think that if Lisa is in the river, she is nowhere close to where she was put in the river at this point. I think it is valuable to analyze the river and surrounding banks to see where the river may have taken something or someone during the time frame we're looking at.
HTH.

I think that if Lisa is in the river, she is nowhere close to where she was put in the river at this point. I think it is valuable to analyze the river and surrounding banks to see where the river may have taken something or someone during the time frame we're looking at.
HTH.

How recoverable do you think a body in the river would be by now? If it's been this long wouldn't they be looking for tiny, tiny bones?

HTH.

Thank you for doing this research Oriah and all. I agree with you that in the worst case scenario, Lisa was placed in the water and is downriver somewhere. Could she be encased in a container and could this factor in how this container would move downstream?

HTH.

Also, where the hang up points in a river going downstream could hang a body up. This is a VERY good idea!!

In the meantime, take a look at N. Brighton S, follow sharp turn W- you'll see three access points within 1/2 a mile. Then follow the river another 2.9 miles. Follow 210 (Armour) then ignore 35 and go to 9. Follow 9. See that spot where there are tons of vehicle access points? Looks to me like that 'path' would have flooded and then whirlpooled. Thoughts?

Can give coordinates if that is easier for folks using google maps/earth. Maybe that would be easiest.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding this but, the area on the river you are describing would be up stream from the N. Brighton area. If you look at the Chouteau bridge on the Missouri river, that would be very close. There have been things from here that have washed up in the Lexington Missouri area so there must be something with the way the water flows at that point to causes this to happen. HTH and sorry if I have misunderstood.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding this but, the area on the river you are describing would be up stream from the N. Brighton area. If you look at the Chouteau bridge on the Missouri river, that would be very close. There have been things from here that have washed up in the Lexington Missouri area so there must be something with the way the water flows at that point to causes this to happen. HTH and sorry if I have misunderstood.
Yes, the river flows here west to east.

No you are not misunderstanding- I am poorly explaining, lol. The E/W/N/S thing always seems to get screwed up with water flow, especially curvy rivers and changing altitudes. I do this all the time because I am using a different mapping program- then try to convert to google (just ask sarx!) Sorry to confuse.

It seems like in this instance (using Lisa's home as a starting point) that driving TO the river would run perpendicular to the river flow. So yes, things moved by the water would technically be upstream- but the river access points would be 'downstream' (if on the north bank) but if we're looking at the south bank- the reverse. I was hoping to identify areas of interest where something or someone might get caught up with the changing water levels and flow. Does that make any sense?

Gosh, I am going to confuse everyone again. I'm sorry!

Thank you for doing this research Oriah and all. I agree with you that in the worst case scenario, Lisa was placed in the water and is downriver somewhere. Could she be encased in a container and could this factor in how this container would move downstream?

Containers factor in a lot. Since the water level dropped shortly after, where would that put us in looking at the bank situation? There appears to be a lot of sediment that shifts when the water levels drop. Could a container have been inadvertantly buried?

How recoverable do you think a body in the river would be by now? If it's been this long wouldn't they be looking for tiny, tiny bones?

I think it would depend on whether or not a body was contained in something, and if it got hung up somewhere.

People are found in vehicles (obviously, very big containers) in rivers frequently. Smaller containers such as bags tend to get hung up in whirlpool-type locations in rivers; those sometimes are created by shallow spots where a moving body of water then hits deep spots. If a river recedes shortly after something has become caught up- those spots usually end up with a lot of 'debris' on the shores.

It's sort of like the way waves wash up bottles and driftwood and trash etc on a coastline.

It has been very dry in KC so the river is down quite a bit - would that figure into anything?

No you are not misunderstanding- I am poorly explaining, lol. The E/W/N/S thing always seems to get screwed up with water flow, especially curvy rivers and changing altitudes. I do this all the time because I am using a different mapping program- then try to convert to google (just ask sarx!) Sorry to confuse.

It seems like in this instance (using Lisa's home as a starting point) that driving TO the river would run perpendicular to the river flow. So yes, things moved by the water would technically be upstream- but the river access points would be 'downstream' (if on the north bank) but if we're looking at the south bank- the reverse. I was hoping to identify areas of interest where something or someone might get caught up with the changing water levels and flow. Does that make any sense?

Gosh, I am going to confuse everyone again. I'm sorry!

For the most part I get what your saying, you explained it very well. I picture myself standing right at that (Chouteau) bridge and throwing something in from the north bank in my mind it would go with the current to my left which would be East but I have NO experience in this type of thing so I totally trust in what your saying and find this interesting. Thanks for explaining.

Many thanks to Oriah and sarx! You both are the greatest!

I am one that thinks Baby Lisa could very well be in the river. IF she is, hopefully she was put in a container and some evidence preserved.

I would rather Baby Lisa be found safe, well, and alive though!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back