She's back again!

gman20001969

Reaction score
This is freaking stupid. I'm getting sick and tired of frivolous lawsuits that I have to pay for with tax money. My kids, some friends and my wife have read the books. Not once have a walked in on them performing a seance, trying to raise the dead or skin a chicken...other than my wife for Sunday's dinner...Now after she gets denied again, I say she should be fined for wasting the court's time.

Next installment of mom vs. Potter set for Gwinnett court

By BEN SMITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/29/07
Laura Mallory and Harry Potter are to meet in court on Tuesday.
Mallory, whose children attend school in Gwinnett, wants the popular series of books about the fictional boy wizard exorcised from Gwinnett County's public school libraries.

Mallory is scheduled to appear in Gwinnett Superior Court Tuesday morning to argue the "Potter" stories are harmful and promote witchcraft and the occult to young people. Supporters of the "Potter" books say they encourage children to read and should be available to all students.
Since she launched her anti-Potter crusade in 2005, Mallory has taken her case to administrators at the Loganville elementary school her children attend; to a school appeals committee; to the Gwinnett County Board of Education; and to the Georgia Board of Education. She's lost at each level.
Along the way, she's been derided by columnists and in letters to the editor in publications as far away as Canada. In a Dec. 15 editorial, the Augusta Chronicle called Mallory's campaign "ludicrous" and said, "Ms. Mallory and her ilk are tilting at the wrong windmill."
Still, Mallory insists her campaign to kick Harry Potter out of public school libraries has been worth it.
"Some parents who've heard about the controversy in the media, now, instead of taking Harry Potter at face value, they've started looking into the effects of it," Mallory said.
Mallory bases her claim, in part, on testimonials and Internet articles by conservative Christian authors that she's posted on her Web site.
Mallory acknowledges she hasn't read any of the six books in the "Harry Potter" series. The seventh — and final one — is scheduled for release this summer.
Regardless of the outcome of today's hearing, Mallory said she'll go "as far as necessary to get the truth out."
"Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to raise a whole generation of witches," Mallory said.
"I don't think it's good for our country."

HARRY POTTER APPEALS
• September 2005: Parent Laura Mallory files a complaint with her children's school, J.C. Magill Elementary, to banish "Harry Potter" books from the school media center. Review panels from the school and the school district recommended that the books should remain on the shelves.
• April 20, 2006: The Gwinnett County School Board holds a public hearing on the issue; a hearing officer supports the recommendation to keep the books available.
• May 11, 2006: Gwinnett School Board votes unanimously to keep the popular book series in school libraries.
• June 2006: Mallory appeals the school board's decision to the state Board of Education.
• Oct. 3, 2006: State Board of Education hearing officer hears arguments in the appeal.
• Dec. 14, 2006: State Board of Education upholds the Gwinnett school system's procedure for keeping "Harry Potter" books on the shelves of school libraries.
• Jan. 17, 2007: Laura Mallory requests an appeal of her case to Gwinnett Superior Court.

LMAO!!!!!

THis women needs some serious meds.
She NEVER even read the books so how does she know what they promote?

LMAO!!!!!

THis women needs some serious meds.
She NEVER even read the books so how does she know what they promote?

Hmmm I don't think I am allowed to post what I think she needs.:silenced:

This is so stupid! My 7 year old son is just starting to read these books, and he loves them (even though he's seen the movies 100's of times). I would be pretty upset if someone tried to tell me what he's allowed to read.

I say fine her $10,000 for a frivilous law suit like the Bahama's did for Howard K and see if she comes back. This is a waste of time and MY money.

Like a demented Phoenix rising from the ashes of idiocy, Laura Mallory has returned once again to battle her old foe Harry Potter (and commonsense). The suburban Atlanta mother and OFF/beat's 2006 Idiot of the Year will soon resume her quest to "protect" America's children from the dark arts by banishing all J.K. Rowling books from school libraries.

That is from the Washington Post. Too funny!! http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/04/laura_mallory_v_harry_potter_3.html

What a looney tune! Why don't she do what other sane parents do and just don't let her kids read it if she is worried? I choose my childrens reading material and what they listen to or watch on tv. Why must she think she's the voice for ALL children or ALL parents?

People like her are bad spokespersons for their religion!

She should be fined a very large sum!

My kids like the books and the movies. They also like Pendragon and tons of other fantasy themed books.

ok people lets stop for a second and try to be fair. lets look at it from her point of view. if her kids read these books they may become evil. should a school promote evil? my school did when i was growing up. if it rained during recess we watched really evil movies.

a movie about a woman who abused her stepchild.
a movie about a witch who poisoned her stepdaughter
a movie about 3 witches who cast a spell on a whole town

Cinderella
snow white
sleeping beauty

these movies that dealt with witchcraft turned me so evil i now let my kids watch them. can we blame this poor mom for her fears?

all of the above was good old fashion sarcasm

ok people lets stop for a second and try to be fair. lets look at it from her point of view. if her kids read these books they may become evil. should a school promote evil? my school did when i was growing up. if it rained during recess we watched really evil movies.

a movie about a woman who abused her stepchild.
a movie about a witch who poisoned her stepdaughter
a movie about 3 witches who cast a spell on a whole town

Cinderella
snow white
sleeping beauty

these movies that dealt with witchcraft turned me so evil i now let my kids watch them. can we blame this poor mom for her fears?

all of the above was good old fashion sarcasm

Hey, my sister won't let her kids watch "All Dogs to to Heaven" because she said that they don't.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Although we were raised together, she fell off the boat at some point! LOL

...all of the above was good old fashion sarcasm

You got me, sherri. But good.

I was so worried about you I was already organizing the WS intervention in my mind.

Good one!

You got me, sherri. But good.

I was so worried about you I was already organizing the WS intervention in my mind.

Good one!
it was worth the time it took to type it just to scare you.:p

If you take one book off a shelf because of censorship, then be prepared to have a book you love or admire be challenged, too. If we allow this type of censorship, then nothing is sacred.

Harry Potter isn't the first book to be challenged. How about Charlotte's Web? One parent group said it was too unrealistic because of talking animals. How about Alice in Wonderland? Again, too unrealistic.

Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings was challenged due to the rape scene.

Nobody ever will be pleased with every book in a library. If you don't think it is appropriate for your kids, then don't let them read it. People like this Mallory woman really upset me. First of all, she doesn't know what she's talking about. Secondly, I hate having her values shoved down my throat.

In one challenged book case, a parent saw the word "damn" in a novel and threw a fit with the school board. The book was The Acorn People, about a camp for disabled kids, and "damn" was about the most offensive thing in it.

What really gets me, from my own experience, is that parents will go crazy about the contents of a book, but they will let their kids watch all the cable TV/MTV/DVDs/movies they want, shows which have much worse language and situations than most books.

As you can see, I'm totally against censorship. I know that there will be people who read this and want to get into some sort of heated debate, but I really do think that it is a personal thing. For instance, I don't let my kids watch R-rated movies or most TV (even shows I like, like CSI, are too violent, in my eyes, for my 11-year-old). But I don't try to get those things censored for everyone!

http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2007/05/29/0530gwxpotter.html
Round 5 goes to Harry Potter

By BEN SMITH
Gwinnett Superior Court Judge Ronnie Batchelor on Tuesday rejected a mother's plea to have the Harry Potter books removed from county school libraries.
Laura Mallory of Loganville lost her argument for judicial relief.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->
Mallory argues the "Potter" stories are harmful and promote witchcraft and the occult to young people. Supporters of the "Potter" books say they encourage children to read and should be available to all students.
She argued her position for about an hour Tuesday before Batchelor made his ruling.
"I've done the best I can with all of this," Mallory said after the hearing.
Mallory said she may now file a federal lawsuit.
Since she launched her anti-Potter crusade in 2005, Mallory has taken her case to administrators at the Loganville elementary school her children attend; to a school appeals committee; to the Gwinnett County Board of Education; and to the Georgia Board of Education. She's lost at each level.
Mallory bases her claim, in part, on testimonials and Internet articles by conservative Christian authors that she's posted on her Web site.
Mallory acknowledges she hasn't read any of the six books in the "Harry Potter" series. The seventh &#8212; and final one &#8212; is scheduled for release this summer.

Ok, everytime she went to court, I paid taxes on the court fees since I live in the same state. This is freaking stupid. She should be smacked with a lawsuit for wasting the taxpayer's money!

Ok, everytime she went to court, I paid taxes on the court fees since I live in the same state. This is freaking stupid. She should be smacked with a lawsuit for wasting the taxpayer's money!

I think you should sue her on behalf of the state ;)

http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2007/05/29/0530gwxpotter.html
Round 5 goes to Harry Potter

By BEN SMITH
Gwinnett Superior Court Judge Ronnie Batchelor on Tuesday rejected a mother's plea to have the Harry Potter books removed from county school libraries.
Laura Mallory of Loganville lost her argument for judicial relief.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->
Mallory argues the "Potter" stories are harmful and promote witchcraft and the occult to young people. Supporters of the "Potter" books say they encourage children to read and should be available to all students.
She argued her position for about an hour Tuesday before Batchelor made his ruling.
"I've done the best I can with all of this," Mallory said after the hearing.
Mallory said she may now file a federal lawsuit.
Mallory acknowledges she hasn't read any of the six books in the "Harry Potter" series. The seventh — and final one — is scheduled for release this summer.

Yep, and didn't the Runaway Bride case set precedence in Georgia??? So an individual shouldn't have to sue... The courts can rule that she must pay a fine covering court fees, fines etc. just like they did in the Runaway Bride case...

Not only did people want to ban HP, but also things like To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, the Autobiography of Malcom X, give me a break!

Needless to say, the small group of pro-censorship parents did not prevail, thank God. I have a funny feeling most of them never read the books they were going bonkers about, anyway!

I would be pretty upset if someone tried to tell me what he's allowed to read.

I wouldn't be. They have the whole watchdog/guide system for movies, as well. In a way that's telling you what your kids can watch.
I admit I haven't read a Harry Potter book or seen any of the movies, I just don't care about that genre. But I do get tired of these crusades of people who don't even take the time to read/watch. Being critical of a (to me, sorry fans ;)) big hype isn't bad in and of itself, but at least be educated about what you're protesting. :doh:

Thank goodness she lost.

If I lived in her town, I might have sued to remove the Holy Bible from the womans church, arguing that the horrifying amount of sex, incest, polygamy, sacrifices, and violence will DEFINATELY harm her children. ;)

I can't believe she's attempting this without even having read one of them. She would have, at least, some credibility if she would just read one of them. What a jackass!!! I feel sorry for her children. Think what they must go through at school over this.

If she doesn't want her kids to ready Harry Potter, then fine -- they don't have to and no one can make them. But how DARE her try to get the legal system to tell me what my kids can or can not read when I feel they are ready. That is MY choice -- not hers. :furious:

I wouldn't be. They have the whole watchdog/guide system for movies, as well. In a way that's telling you what your kids can watch.

The ratings systems are suggestions. As an adult you can take children into an R rated movie as long as you are their guardian. Again, that is MY choice, and though I would NOT do it it's my right to do so. Maybe she is right and it does influence kids on the occult, but it's not her choice to decide what I do/think is good for my kids, it's mine.

Okay, off my soapbox for now.... Sorry for the rant.

I probably shouldn't even jump into this, but in my household, Laura Mallory is actually satan. I'm a Harry Potter fan with a small "f," my wife is a Harry Potter Fan, capital "F" intended. My wife even has an entire blog about Harry Potter-ana. I love those books and really like the movies but Dana (the wife) is a devotee and scholar of Ms. Rowling's work. Harry Potter is a BIG deal around my home. And it's a big deal in Georgia in general -- some of the most intense sales of the books in the U.S. come from the area of Fulton County (Atlanta metro) where we live.

We all celebrate each time Ms. Mallory loses.

I believe she probably needs medication, frankly.

Steve/Mr. A

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back