GUILTY CA - Michael Acosta, 6 wks, dies from meth in mom's milk, Loleta, 21 Nov 2010

Thinker Belle

Reaction score
By COURTNEY HUTCHISON, ABC News Medical Unit
Aug. 5, 2011

<snipped>Charges against a California mother have been upgraded from manslaughter to second-degree murder this week after evidence at preliminary hearings suggested that she knowingly endangered her infant's life by breast-feeding while using methamphetamine.

Six-week-old Anthony Acosta III died last year after an allegedly lethal amount of the drug was passed to him when his mother, Maggie Jean Wortman, 26, continued to breast-feed despite her meth habit.

Wortman is pleading not guilty to charges of murder, arguing that it was not the meth in the infant's bloodstream that resulted in his death, Wortman's attorney, M.C. Bruce, told ABC News.

<snipped> Wortman claims that she had no knowledge of the fact that using meth while breast-feeding could be dangerous to her baby.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Drugs/...d-murder-breastfeeding-meth/story?id=14231552

:furious: :furious: :furious:

So very sad... poor little Anthony!

How can you not know meth can effect a breastfeeding baby? I'm not buying it at all.

How <unusual> can a mother be? So she doesn't think the Meth killed her baby? What did then? She used this horrific drug before, during, and after the pregnancy. But because of the supposed "half-life", it should have been okay for her to breastfeed?

I'm completely mortified by the ignorant statement made by the attorney.

Wortman reported to police that she used meth as recently as two days before Anthony's death, but because meth supposedly has a half-life of only 11 hours, Bruce said the idea that the meth killed Anthony "does not compute."

MOO

Mel

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Drugs/...d-murder-breastfeeding-meth/story?id=14231552

I'm speechless.

What the <insert appropriate strong foul language word here> is going on with mothers?

Breastfeeding on meth? Now I've heard it all.

Prayers for that baby.

---
- OM$.02=only my two (non)cents
You know I'm not a professional and don't claim to be! Lol.

What I want to know is why the baby was not removed from her care at birth, as well as the older child. She was testing positive for drugs during the pregnancy. Did that not clue them that the baby would be exposed to drug abuse? Duh.

I'm not sure people who take meth are the sharpest crayons in the box to start with - I don't have a hard time believing she didn't think it would harm him, especially if she'd taken it right through her pregnancy.

I do sometimes think that folk should have to pass some sort of exam before they're allowed to procreate though. Sometimes I read these stories and think I wouldn't trust these people with a pet, never mind an infant.

So very sad... poor little Anthony!

How can you not know meth can effect a breastfeeding baby? I'm not buying it at all.

what the heck is wrong with this woman?

I hope they lock her up for good, just for being stupid.

RIP my sweet angel.

Goz

what the heck is wrong with this woman?

She's a meth addict.

Poor little one. Never stood a chance.

Think about it. You're a meth addict. Are you going to buy formula? Nope less money for meth.

A Humboldt County mother whose 6-week-old baby son died after ingesting methamphetamine-tainted breast milk has been sentenced to six years in prison.

Maggie Jean Wortman denied that her drug use caused her son&#8217;s death, suggesting instead that someone else had killed her baby by staging a suffocation scene at the foot of the bed where she was sleeping, according to the Times-Standard in Eureka.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+lanowblog+(L.A.+Now)

6 years. 6 years in exchange for an innocent life. Infuriating. I wish the judge would have at least given her the full 12. I pray to God she never brings another life into this world again. :furious:

I'm glad she will serve time but I think 6 years is laughable.

Should have been much longer IMO.

But, at least she didn't get off by reason of stupidity. Everybody on this earth knows you can't nurse a child and do drugs.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back