Prez comes out in favor of same-sex marriage

Banning gay marriage is one thing- my state does that, too. I don't agree with the ban but it at least leaves out the nasty parts. The NC law seems draconian, extending to heterosexual relationships and seems deliberately designed to punish. I think there is a strong possibility that it may in part be overturned on appeal. My heart goes out to all affected by this regressive law.

Since Obama only claimed to have changed his opinion and didn't propose any legislation then this is just a red herring. It means nothing regarding my vote or most others, I don't think.

Personally, I have no problem with gay marriage. They should have the equal right to be exposed to the same misery as the rest of us.:laugh::(

I don't like Obama but I like that he did this. You should be able to marry who you love, plain and simple.

TrackerSam, you thought what a lot of people thought...now that it has already passed, go read the language word for word, and you will see this piece of state sanctioned bigotry for what it is.

My sincerest hopes and prayers are for a presidential override of the state's power on this issue or a repeal.

I don't think he has the power to overide the state's definition of marriage. It'll have to go before the state Supreme Court and if not resolved there the U.S Supreme Court.

Since Obama only claimed to have changed his opinion and didn't propose any legislation then this is just a red herring. It means nothing regarding my vote or most others, I don't think.

Personally, I have no problem with gay marriage. They should have the equal right to be exposed to the same misery as the rest of us.:laugh::(

61% to 39% and because the vote didn't go your way, they're lunatics? :what: Lunatics really?
Anyone who thinks Obama's endorsement was sincere is a lunatic.

First, Stan, thanks for the giggle. :giggle:

It might be a red herring, and he might not be sincere, and as a far far lefty I have big problems with Obama and the Dems, but I think at the very least the symbolic nature of a sitting president coming out in favor is a big thing. It *shouldnt* be a big thing, because IMO marriage equality is just a common sense matter, but it is. It's one step in an overall move towards making it an accepted thing.

I have no problem with it either. It'll not change my life one iota one way or the other, but calling voters lunatics (not you), is just nuts. I believe in state's rights, so when someone from outside a state purports to know what's best for those in the state, then I gotta jump in with my :twocents:

Banning gay marriage is one thing- my state does that, too. I don't agree with the ban but it at least leaves out the nasty parts. The NC law seems draconian, extending to heterosexual relationships and seems deliberately designed to punish. I think there is a strong possibility that it may in part be overturned on appeal. My heart goes out to all affected by this regressive law.

I agree, Snick.

I think there is a strong possibility that it may in part be overturned on appeal. My heart goes out to all affected by this regressive law.

Maybe I'm wrong but, it's not a law and there is no ban. I thought what it was was an ammendment to the state constitution that defines what marriage is. Laws have to be enacted by the state legislature and signed into law by the governor. The electorate can't write law.

BBM: :floorlaugh::floorlaugh: I was thinking the same thing. Unmarried gay couples have been getting off way too lightly and should have to suffer like the rest of married couples. Maybe they should beware of what they are asking for? LOL. Anyway, I've always thought that the government should stay out of deciding what people do or not do in their personal lives as long as they are consenting and legal age and their decision doesn't harm anyone and yes, I live in North Carolina.

61% to 39% and because the vote didn't go your way, they're lunatics? :what: Lunatics really?

BBM

Yeah, there are probably better words to describe those who vote against gay marriage.

JMHO

I don't think he has the power to overide the state's definition of marriage. It'll have to go before the state Supreme Court and if not resolved there the U.S Supreme Court.

He doesn't have the power and he wouldn't use it if he tried. As I understand it, Obama has affirmed his belief that gay marriage should be decided by the states.

The same states, I suppose, in which President Obama would not be allowed to vote or use a public drinking fountain had it not been for federal intervention.

So thanks a little, Mr. President, but when it comes to marriage, the U.S. has less equality than Mexico.

yes. imo, those who vote against gay rights in this country are lunatics......and honestly, that was putting it nicely.

however, if believing obama is sincere makes me a lunatic, so be it. i have been called worse and will proudly wear that label in this instance.

i happen to know that over the last few years he has been rethinking this issue and it had nothing to do with politics but everything to do with personal experience. one of his daughters became good friends with the daughter of a gay couple when the obamas went to dc. she has been questioning her father ever since then in regard to why the law is different for her friend's parents than for her own. michelle obama has long been on record as supporting the right for gay couples to marry. his ''endorsement'' came as a result of personal experience, an open mind, a willingness to keep learning in life, and the guts to admit publicly that he now understands that he was wrong.

I have no problem with it either. It'll not change my life one iota one way or the other, but calling voters lunatics (not you), is just nuts. I believe in state's rights, so when someone from outside a state purports to know what's best for those in the state, then I gotta jump in with my :twocents:

I don't know if you're in NC or not. If you are, then you know that lunatics fits our population very well at times. :D

I've asked everyone I know , who supported the amendment, to defend it without bringing their own personal religious beliefs into the argument. None have been able to do so. If anyone can, I am eager to hear it.

yes. imo, those who vote against gay rights in this country are lunatics......and honestly, that was putting it nicely.

however, if believing obama is sincere makes me a lunatic, so be it. i have been called worse and will proudly wear that label in this instance.

i happen to know that over the last few years he has been rethinking this issue and it had nothing to do with politics but everything to do with personal experience. one of his daughters became good friends with the daughter of a gay couple when the obamas went to dc. she has been questioning her father ever since then in regard to why the law is different for her friend's parents than for her own. michelle obama has long been on record as supporting the right for gay couples to marry. his ''endorsement'' came as a result of personal experience, an open mind, a willingness to keep learning in life, and the guts to admit publicly that he now understands that he was wrong.

Thank you, doubt. I don't question that Obama's position on this subject is sincere. I don't think it goes far enough, but that's a different issue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back