TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
What could possibly generate a story like that, outside of a high school prank..I draw a blank. Who would gain from making up a story like this? What is the motive if this is untrue?

I think that title was a bit deceiving!
If you read the article they have not called in Psychics for help but Psychics bombard LE with all their visions and LE has to check each one out...
JMO
If LE bothered to check out psychic tips, they were in fact wasting time by, in essence, acting upon - using - information provided by psychics.

What could possibly generate a story like that, outside of a high school prank..I draw a blank. Who would gain from making up a story like this? What is the motive if this is untrue?

It could just be an unfounded rumor, something overheard incorrectly, that spread too quickly...i.e. maybe there was a sign by a dog, etc...who knows. Everyone is probably as anxious for news as we are.

This was from Saturday; it's where Will Nunley learned his info and, unlike the dubious site (et al.), it's from an actual in-state MSM source:

Natasha Chen
‏ @NChen_WREG3
@davidd0069 @willnunley @hurricanemike50 @3onyourside @whitneyduncan TBI agent John Mehr confirms there is NO body in Parsons, TN.

The person who wrote that article.. well.. no comment. It is BS what these people do to the families who suffer a missing person all in hopes to try and trump or be the first in line..to say ME ME ME .. this should be a crime in general... when there is no head of the line here and the information is false. Sick people out there.

Try to read this article IN FULL - since many did not read the whole police using psychics article and only went by a misleading title - where it was clearly stated they do not USE psychics -- However, if you feel they are utilizing because they "check out" tips - that is false as well - it would be negligent to ignore any tip irregardless because anyone could call in pretending to be a psychic and give a legit tip but not want to be identified as such - - maybe this will shed some light and this article only touches the surfaces barely of what the families are subjected to:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/families-holly-bobo-samantha-koenig-private-torment/story?id=15508160

This was from Saturday; it's where Will Nunley learned his info and, unlike the dubious site (et al.), it's from an actual in-state MSM source:

I wonder if that means no body was found anywhere in the county...since they indicate that none was found in Parsons...

I wonder if that means no body was found anywhere in the county...since they indicate that none was found in Parsons...
Yeah, was wondering that myself. I assume the reporter assumed that it was a denial covering more ground than merely the city limits of Parsons TN. But, with TBI - well, who can say. I think it's just a Facebook-spawned rumor. We'll see!

The person who wrote that article.. well.. no comment. It is BS what these people do to the families who suffer a missing person all in hopes to try and trump or be the first in line..to say ME ME ME .. this should be a crime in general... when there is no head of the line here and the information is false. Sick people out there.

Try to read this article IN FULL - since many did not read the whole police using psychics article and only went by a misleading title - where it was clearly stated they do not USE psychics -- However, if you feel they are utilizing because they "check out" tips - that is false as well - it would be negligent to ignore any tip irregardless because anyone could call in pretending to be a psychic and give a legit tip but not want to be identified as such - - maybe this will shed some light and this article only touches the surfaces barely of what the families are subjected to:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/families-holly-bobo-samantha-koenig-private-torment/story?id=15508160

Thank you Walker007, for bringing that link here.

"We were definitely caught by surprise. We had no idea of the cruelty out there," Karen Bobo, the mother of missing Tennessee nursing student Holly Bobo, told ABCNews.com.

My heart breaks for the Bobo's. :(

Helm makes it clear the TBI does not work with psychics, but agents do end up spending a lot of time checking out leads from them, leads, she says, that don't give investigators much to work with.
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/17005963/police-using-psychics-in-search-for-holly-bobo

Now, on this psychics thing - if a person calls in and says he or she is a "psychic" and wants to relay a "tip," and if police go out and investigate it, LE has to spend a similar amount of the day looking into that as they do when they work a legitimate tip, right? From normal, non-psychic, townsfolk, perhaps? If so - and this is based on what Kristin Helm confirmed - perhaps the article should read, "Psychics using police in search for Holly Bobo" instead of the other way around, as it does read. Six of one, a half-dozen of the other, time wasted is time wasted, and if police think they need to act upon all tips, including those without "much to work with," they're squandering work hours better spent in investigating this or other matters.

Utterly ridiculous, but in keeping with what one can only say has been a botched investigation from its first hour.

The only other explanation I can think of is LE wanting to "cover themselves" in case a psychic guesses right. Which they won't.

How is LE supposed to know when a tip is legitimate?? Much of investigating IS following leads and tips... it is not a waste of time. I can understand their frustration if they KNOW that the tip came from a psychic, but what if the psychic does not say he/she is one, and just gives them a lead? Shouldn't they follow that lead anyway?
I know of a few cases when people complain because LE doesn't seem to be doing anything, doesn't follow up on tips, so where do they draw the line? They would have to be psychic themselves to be able to determine whether a lead or a tip is worth looking into or whether it's just B.S. the minute they get it.
I would hope that LE is following up on everything... legitimate or not... because you never know, that lead could produce another one that might turn out to be useful.

Well something is afoot... this is the first fairly large scale official search I have heard about in some months; the DeKalb County Sheriff's Mounted Unit

http://www.waff.com/story/17027461/...s-mounted-unit-assists-with-holly-bobo-search

Not only that, they seem to have found something (but then we have heard that before...)

"The unit searched using spiral and grid technologies and was able to find several significant articles of evidence. They tagged each piece of evidence with their GPS system and turned it over to the TBI.

DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris said these articles will allow the TBI to move forward with their investigation."

Note that the Sheriff said the items WILL ALLOW the TBI to move forward with their investigation. He did not say could....

According to Google maps, Lexington is 10.6 miles from Darden.

Might be time to get the scanner thread going again for this case...

How is LE supposed to know when a tip is legitimate?? Much of investigating IS following leads and tips... it is not a waste of time. I can understand their frustration if they KNOW that the tip came from a psychic, but what if the psychic does not say he/she is one, and just gives them a lead? Shouldn't they follow that lead anyway?

I would contend that following tips drawn out of thin air, such as psychic visions, is a waste of time. LE can imagine possible (though unsupported) facts as well as anyone. And there are certainly some ways to sort out worthy from worthless tips. One would be just to ask: "What makes you say that?" "How do you know that this is worth our time?" The thing is, there are only so many hours in the day and so many officers who can work a case. The more time LE spends on illegitimate/garbage/groundless tips, the less they have for legitimate tips and legitimate work.

In fact, LE *must* use some sort of informational triage when evaluating tips. For instance, many times people have sent LE on wild goose chases to distract or displace LE, to make it easier to commit crimes elsewhere. Or it could just be general mischief. At the very least, pursuing psychic tips is a waste of time and money; at worst, it can open LE to other forms of risk and abuse. Psychic tips are no more useful than having a blindfolded person throw darts at a map. They are hunches (often derived from common outcomes in cases -- 'I think the body is in the water'), and LE is much better equipped to generate their own hunches than rely on the hunches of psychics.

OK, that could be why TBI was specific in saying nothing was found in Parsons, TN...they did not say nothing was found, period.

"Several significant articles of evidence." Hmmmm.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr