WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to make another pot of coffee, read all of Aion's posts again, watch all the surveillance videos again, and come up with another wild a@@ theory.

For me, the reason I can't let this go all comes down to the one point in the one surveillance video where Shantina reaches out and brushes the back of Az's head. I want, if possible, for Azriel to know that a part of his mom loved him very much.

I'm not looking for any excuses for any irresponsibility or neglect on Shantina's part. There are no excuses for that. I just need to know if possible, for myself, for Az, that another part of her cared about him very much.

Shatina_Smieley-%2830%29_370x278.jpg

God bless you, Azriel.

Mealy said that he suspects Smiley willingly drove onto the beach during low tide and that she and Azriel then went into the water. He said he doesn’t know why they would get into the water, whether it was accidental or on purpose.http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/ckr/news/89305097.html
The idea that she did it on purpose seems odd to leap to. I thought they had ruled it an accident, from being surprised by high tide. Just seems odd to me , the "on purpose" part, which would imply Shantina is a murderer of her own child. To me, odd that he says this, I hope it wasn't the CPS reports and the alcoholism, as this would imply "dismissed". Just my opinion .......

I don't think that's what he meant. I think accidentally = swept into the water, and on purpose = jumped in to try to get to the beach.

I hope so.

Personally, I think they've written this off and have no interest in finding out what really happened that night. Too many things just don't add up for it simply to be that SS drove onto that secluded private beach and was swept away. I think LE just doesn't want to spend the time and effort to dig any deeper. I feel the only way the truth will come out would be for Shantina's family to hire an investigator, and I don't see that happening.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think accidentally = swept into the water, and on purpose = jumped in to try to get to the beach.
Oh, ah hah, that makes sense, thanks! I thought he was implying that she grabbed her son and led him to both their deaths. Thanks!:blushing:

I'm going to make another pot of coffee, read all of Aion's posts again, watch all the surveillance videos again, and come up with another wild a@@ theory.

For me, the reason I can't let this go all comes down to the one point in the one surveillance video where Shantina reaches out and brushes the back of Az's head. I want, if possible, for Azriel to know that a part of his mom loved him very much.

I'm not looking for any excuses for any irresponsibility or neglect on Shantina's part. There are no excuses for that. I just need to know if possible, for myself, for Az, that another part of her cared about him very much.

God bless you, Azriel.

He was her life. That much is crystal clear.

God bless you, Azriel.
BEAUTIFUL POST!!!:angel::angel: THANKS!!! And I think Mommy DID love Azriel, too much points to it (her post about him, Scouts, her "proud parent" on MySpace, her hard work with honors in college, the Christmas gift shopping for him) this is why I keep questioning a "third party" entering in....

I hope so.

Personally, I think they've written this off and have no interest in finding out what really happened that night. Too many things just don't add up for it simply to be that SS drove onto that secluded private beach and was swept away. I think LE just doesn't want to spend the time and effort to dig any deeper. I feel the only way the truth will come out would be for Shantina's family to hire an investigator, and I don't see that happening.
I get that feeling myself.....OR if Shantina is found, and something implies foul play. That would speak volumes......

In Thurston County, short answer "yes". I could give some detail but not sure I should. (This doesn't apply to local PD) ~ jmo

I don't ALWAYS trust LE decisions and actions because I know there are good officers/departments, but there are also REALLY bad officers/departments.

I do hope the one in the Olympia area is one of the good ones.

:)

I don't ALWAYS trust LE decisions and actions because I know there are good officers/departments, but there are also REALLY bad officers/departments.

I do hope the one in the Olympia area is one of the good ones.

:)
True. In addition, what upsets me is that:
1. When the story first broke, it was of a loving Mom who had vanished on a road trip with her little boy.
2. Then, all at once: Alcoholism, DUI, CPS reports come out,
3. at the same time, tragically, that little Azriel's body is found.
4. Overnight, it became "irresponsible woman with many strikes against her gets her kid drowned, too late now, nothing can be done, end of story".
5. The temptation now to let it drop, not probe further, is strong.
6. Meantime, all SS 's good is swept away
7. If she were found and evidence of being a victim of a crime, this might change.

I wonder if the storms in that area will be strong enough for SS's body to wash up finally, if she did drown. But I also wonder if it will ever be solved. If a body is hung up long enough (you would not believe the amount of wood that is tangled and floats below the surface in that area), or falls apart, is pulled by sea animals, etc., it may be a long time before anything is ever found.

Closure may not be possible in this case.

May she RIP. I think it was just a very horrible combination of drinking, problems, baggage, poor judgement, possibly mental confusion due to hypothermia, and tides.

I wonder if the storms in that area will be strong enough for SS's body to wash up finally, if she did drown. But I also wonder if it will ever be solved. If a body is hung up long enough (you would not believe the amount of wood that is tangled and floats below the surface in that area), or falls apart, is pulled by sea animals, etc., it may be a long time before anything is ever found.

Closure may not be possible in this case.

May she RIP. I think it was just a very horrible combination of drinking, problems, baggage, poor judgement, possibly mental confusion due to hypothermia, and tides.
Yes, I think you are probably right, and I am driving myself crazy with wanting some "twist" to the case, that she was victimized, etc. Do not know why I am not simply taking this at face value....
:banghead: All sorts of things are in the paper, and they are tragic, and you have to accept them. I do not know why I cannot seem to let this woman and her child go...........
.:waitasec::crazy:

funny just reading what everyone else has recently posted, b/c i am back just to say that i feel pretty sure she is dead. only think that i don't feel that i can assume is that her death is accidental. i hope they find her body someday and put this to rest.

funny just reading what everyone else has recently posted, b/c i am back just to say that i feel pretty sure she is dead. only think that i don't feel that i can assume is that her death is accidental. i hope they find her body someday and put this to rest.
I think she must be dead also. But I feel her story needs to be cleared up.

But it may never be:shakehead::help:

ALSO, I keep thinking that her story will come together in some harmonious sense, a grand scheme design which wraps things up in some meaningful way and which gives closure and a sense of a poetic justice :boohoo::doh::balloons:
But that may be part of being a bit obsessive here :help:

Sleuthers, don't blame or question yourselves about why you want closure. It isn't that anyone wants there to have been foul play. It is that nice people don't want a crime to have been committed and go unnoticed.

I guess that is a sleuther's worst nightmare, that and the terrible fear that sleuthing services will be needed on and on, as crimes continue to happen. Wouldn't it be great if armchair sleuthing was something unneeded? But no, the criminals seem to be more and more and meaner and meaner.

And it is the nature of kindly people to wish for something tragic to be "redeemed" by having some sort of silver-lining, so lives lost are not "in vain."

True. In addition, what upsets me is that:
1. When the story first broke, it was of a loving Mom who had vanished on a road trip with her little boy.
2. Then, all at once: Alcoholism, DUI, CPS reports come out,
3. at the same time, tragically, that little Azriel's body is found.
4. Overnight, it became "irresponsible woman with many strikes against her gets her kid drowned, too late now, nothing can be done, end of story".
5. The temptation now to let it drop, not probe further, is strong.
6. Meantime, all SS 's good is swept away
7. If she were found and evidence of being a victim of a crime, this might change.

The chances of that are diminishing by the day. Even if she is found, her body may be in no condition to determine cause of death.

Yes, I think you are probably right, and I am driving myself crazy with wanting some "twist" to the case, that she was victimized, etc. Do not know why I am not simply taking this at face value....
:banghead: All sorts of things are in the paper, and they are tragic, and you have to accept them. I do not know why I cannot seem to let this woman and her child go...........
.:waitasec::crazy:

I do.

Because too damn many pieces of this case simply do not add up. There is far more to this than what we've been told, and *someone* out there knows what really happened that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77