Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, still hopeful
I would like to see the other 2 ships carrying/towing a beacon locator search that same site and report it's findings

Two ships -- the Australian navy's Ocean Shield and the British HMS Echo are carrying sophisticated equipment that can hear the recorders' pings, one ship has the US Navy's towed pinger locator that can detect a ping in 20,000 ocean depth but it still needs to be within a certain range (1-2 mile i think) to be able to pick up that signal..

I thought the Chinese had a towed pinger locator but I was mistaken, what the Chinese have is a detector that was placed in the ocean just below the water surface.
I am not sure at what depth this tool can pick up the locator beacon signal but I am hopeful

W020140405714536370341_r75-3378038.jpg
That is where my initial confusion arose from, knowing there were two ships out there (Ocean Shield and HMS Echo) that were equipped to hear the pings, and why they didn't record anything. Knowing now they weren't in the same location as the Chinese explains much. Therefore, yes, it would be interesting if those two ships moved to the same area and picked up the signal. Apparently the signal is intermittent, however, and seems it may be the FDR with the battery being very weak.

MOO

Ah, I was wondering what everyone was talking about regarding the time as I thought there would be a time difference but I just saw Perth time and Kuala Lumpur time is the same.

The sun rose at 6:08am that day for info.

But depending how far west of Australia the flight was, it might have still been dark at 8am Perth time. The search area is a couple of hours behind Perth time, iirc.

So...do we know if the main search IS being moved today or not? I read ^^^^^ that they are thinking about it?

I can't imagine at least part of the search would not be moved.

By the position of the shadow, the sun would be close-ish to being overhead. And the sun would be directly behind the plane - so the plane was either travelling west before noon, or east not too long after noon.

imo

Moon shadow?

Not all satellites need the sun to relay an image back to earth. The satellite/s that took that pic may need the sun but not all.

It would certainly make sense that there would be satellite imagery capability at night! Certainly not that it is necessarily available for the general public. We can probably all agree that nightime is actually when we see the most planes in the sky. You can't miss their bright lights.

That is where my initial confusion arose from, knowing there were two ships out there (Ocean Shield and HMS Echo) that were equipped to hear the pings, and why they didn't record anything. Knowing now they weren't in the same location as the Chinese explains much. Therefore, yes, it would be interesting if those two ships moved to the same area and picked up the signal. Apparently the signal is intermittent, however, and seems it may be the FDR with the battery being very weak.

MOO

I believe I located the equipment the Chinese are using and this Benthos locator can detect pings in 600ft of depth as opposed to the US Navy's towed pinger locator, iirc, that the Ocean Shield is towing which can detect a ping in 20,000ft ocean depth.

I heard on CNN, an engineer from Dukane Seacom, that ocean temp (cold), or marine vegetation, the topography of the ocean floor (trenches, basins, shelves etc...) can have an effect on the hearing of the signal

But depending how far west of Australia the flight was, it might have still been dark at 8am Perth time. The search area is a couple of hours behind Perth time, iirc.

Ah, of course - I'm a bit foggy today

I can't imagine at least part of the search would not be moved.

It sounds as though Angus Houston isn't ready to tell us that yet. :sigh:

“The RCC in Australia has spoken to the RCC in China and asked for any further information that may be relevant.

“The deployment of RAAF assets to the area where the Chinese ship detected the sounds is being considered.

“I will provide further updates if, and when, more information becomes available.”

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2014/april/mr010.aspx

I believe I located the equipment the Chinese are using and this Benthos locator can detect pings in 600ft of depth as opposed to the US Navy's towed pinger locator, iirc, that the Ocean Shield is towing which can detect a ping in 20,000ft ocean depth.

Very discouraging. You are correct (600ft). What are the chances of a rogue SAR team picking a spot, for reasons only they know, where no one else is looking, plunking in a detector with a 600ft range and picking up a signal?

Ah, of course - I'm a bit foggy today

It's a really easy mistake to make though. But lots of people overseas don't realise just how far away from Perth the search area is. I think the first search area was about the same as the distance between New York and Houston or from London to Moscow.

It was likely around dawn when the plane crashed, depending on its position.

It's a really easy mistake to make though. But lots of people overseas don't realise just how far away from Perth the search area is. I think the first search area was about the same as the distance between New York and Houston or from London to Moscow.

It was likely around dawn when the plane crashed, depending on its position.

Kiwi :blowkiss:

but yeah I should definitely know these things

Are there new estimates of fuel, flight etc, since this new "breaking news"?

The map shows MH370 going South, yet the "pulse" is looking more East?

I heard on CNN, an engineer from Dukane Seacom, that ocean temp (cold), or marine vegetation, the topography of the ocean floor (trenches, basins, shelves etc...) can have an effect on the hearing of the signal

The capability of the locator the Chinese were using is what gives me pause. One would think the FDR is in water much deeper than 600 ft. If the US Navy's pinger locator had picked up a signal, I would be much more confident it actually is the FDR.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member