Man can't get stranger off his property

Annie

Reaction score
This is unbelievable to me. I saw this on the TV news but can't find the video of the LE backing the woman and saying there is nothing they can do. I can't find the video but found the article. Anyone should be able to say who can stay on their property. Apparently the stepson let this woman stay there and now the stepson is in jail and the woman refuses to move.

http://www.kxly.com/global/story.asp?s=10205456

These people need an attorney - fast.

Does this mean if you invite me to stay overnight at your house that I can invite a friend who doesn't have to leave? This logic is ridiculous!

I saw this video too. Unbelievable. She's living there rent free, doesn't pay any utilities, nothing. It had to laugh when the homeowner said she looked like a hooker.

I think the couple has sought the advice of an attorney and there's nothing legal that they can do.

That is ridiculous. I think I would start by having all the utilities out there cut. Then I'd play my Barry Manilow CD really loud, day and night. And I would get up very early to do yard work. Maybe eventually she'd leave.

That is ridiculous. I think I would start by having all the utilities out there cut. Then I'd play my Barry Manilow CD really loud, day and night. And I would get up very early to do yard work. Maybe eventually she'd leave.

I like your style! I would definitely try to irritate them away! Such a strange strange story - anyone remember that movie, Pacific Heights about the renter from hell?

I like your style! I would definitely try to irritate them away! Such a strange strange story - anyone remember that movie, Pacific Heights about the renter from hell?

Yes! I loved that movie. Thank you for reminding me of it. Wasn't it Michael Keaton that played the renter?

There's a comedy along with same lines with Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore. I can't remember the name of it though.

Yes! I loved that movie. Thank you for reminding me of it. Wasn't it Michael Keaton that played the renter?

There's a comedy along with same lines with Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore. I can't remember the name of it though.

Was the movie called "Duplex"? I think I saw that one night on the comedy channel- it was good.

Wow! I'd never thought there could be serious ramifications to letting my kids have guests over! Never again! :)

I have to agree with Mr. E. I'd do whatever it took to force this person to move out.

2 years or so ago, I came home from work seeing firemen throwing burnt mattresses out of my neighbors windows. It was winter and very cold outside. I considered long and hard inviting my neighbors in, getting pizza for dinner, and inviting then to spend a day or two with us until they found a place. I have to add that I had 1 or 2 little babies in the house and the house next door was essentially a frat house (alcohol bottles always all over the yard, loud music all night long, cigarette butts, bottle rockets, etc). It was no surprise that they caught their house on fire. Still, who wants to be stuck out in the cold without a place to sleep. I talked to my parents and the real deciding factor was that if I invited them in, they didn't have to leave and I could be in a situation where I legally couldn't get rid of them.

2 years or so ago, I came home from work seeing firemen throwing burnt mattresses out of my neighbors windows. It was winter and very cold outside. I considered long and hard inviting my neighbors in, getting pizza for dinner, and inviting then to spend a day or two with us until they found a place. I have to add that I had 1 or 2 little babies in the house and the house next door was essentially a frat house (alcohol bottles always all over the yard, loud music all night long, cigarette butts, bottle rockets, etc). It was no surprise that they caught their house on fire. Still, who wants to be stuck out in the cold without a place to sleep. I talked to my parents and the real deciding factor was that if I invited them in, they didn't have to leave and I could be in a situation where I legally couldn't get rid of them.

Isn't that the most ridiculous law? You invite someone in out of the goodness of your heart and then you're not allowed to ask them to leave?:furious:

Isn't that the most ridiculous law? You invite someone in out of the goodness of your heart and then you're not allowed to ask them to leave?:furious:

I had never heard of this until today- here. Does anyone know how to look further into this law? We have a friend who has allowed a family to move in and they keep saying they're leaving but never do. Reading about this kind of makes me worry about our friend.

I wonder if it has to do with there not being a lease? I don't think the homeowner had a lease with his step-son. If he did the woman did not sign the lease and that might be where the legal loophole is. Step-son signs the lease and gives the woman (and seven other people at the beginning) to move in.

Why is this not as simple as going through the legal steps of an eviction?

I wish I'd known of this law a couple of years ago. We invited an acquaintance of ours to stay at our place over the summer. She had graduated from college and had nowhere to go. Summer turned to fall, to winter. Finally, we sat down with her and told her that she had to move on, put her college degree to use (she was still working at a minimum wage job). It was upsetting for everyone. She admitted that she was scared to "grow up." But Mr. Mr. E (hubby) told her that he would tell his own children the same thing: you can't live at home forever. She moved out and away, and now she lives in another city, has a job (though oddly not with her college degree), and is seeing a young man on a steady basis.

I see now how this could have gone very wrong. She could legally still be living in our den, I guess!

Why is this not as simple as going through the legal steps of an eviction?

Sorry for the double post, but I don't know if you can evict someone who doesn't have a lease of some sort.

From the linked article, near the end:

"Don Bain has served the woman with an eviction notice and she has to be out by the end of the month but for the Bains it isn't soon enough."

Evidently they are in the process of evicting her.

I have a basement apartment in my home and because of my economic situation, have considered leasing it out. Bur this story makes me even more skeered!

Not to mention that reading on WS makes me afraid-very afraid- that I would end up with a whackadoo under the stairs!

On a serious(er) note, renters and squatters have more rights than the property owners!

I have a basement apartment in my home and because of my economic situation, have considered leasing it out. Bur this story makes me even more skeered!

Not to mention that reading on WS makes me afraid-very afraid- that I would end up with a whackadoo under the stairs!

On a serious(er) note, renters and squatters have more rights than the property owners!

I think if you have a lease that spells out that they cannot allow anyone else to live there, then you should be okay. Just make the lease very specific and obviously get references for the renter.

I think if you have a lease that spells out that they cannot allow anyone else to live there, then you should be okay. Just make the lease very specific and obviously get references for the renter.

This sounds like an option, the article says that even if you don't charge rent that a lease agreement is a good idea. I'd design an agreement and no one would rent from me! :crazy:

Hmmm...trying to think of one of my buddies with a multi-million dollar home with a pool, spa, and sauna I could go spend the night with now....hehehe

Hmmm...trying to think of one of my buddies with a multi-million dollar home with a pool, spa, and sauna I could go spend the night with now....hehehe

Can you imagine going to your friends home for dinner and a visit and they make you sign a lease agreement? Funny!:crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back