GUILTY NC - Eve Carson, 22, UNC student, shot to death, Chapel Hill, 5 March 2008 - #2

I agree. Im usually pro defense. Not this time though! This is rumor i read it on line and dont have a link. I read that he was adopted by his parents. I wonder if his mother is there? This is just a sad situation! moo

Yes, luckyme -- I read the same thing somewhere -- about his being adopted and his father being excited about it and about raising him properly, etc., etc. I would like to know more about that... Each day I look, and I haven't seen anybody who looks like family on his side of the courtroom. IDK if she can't come -- she runs child care in her home, IIRC, so she may not be able to leave -- you can't just stop day care for working parents...??? Or if she has chosen not to come or what. She could be there, and I'm just not seeing her or any of his family members. The courtroom is not that full. IDK.

I'll dig around & see if I can find anything... probably won't be easy...:waitasec:

Is it just me & my computer, or is anybody else experiencing the audio portion of the live coverage being usually mostly okay in the morning & then deteriorating to awful-to-none :shakehead: in the afternoon? :pullhair: I've refreshed, :viking:re-connected :dunno: and re-cursed :rage:and nothing :no: works.:eek:fftheair: Grrrrr.
icon8.gif

Poking around, found this:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2924875/

Details of his criminal record since he was 17 y/o. Not a model citizen, IMO, but that's just me...

ETA: Here is a bit more about his adoption:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.true-crime/2008-03/msg01180.html

And more info on the trial testimony...

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.p...stigation_recounted_in_laurence_lovette_trial

Thanks! Yes the live stream is horrible in afternoon. I had to stop watching.

:seeya:

Good Morning all!

I couldn't get the afternoon live stream either. Prolly a good thing because I caught up on some housework.

OT/ I saw on abc11 news this morning where prosecutor will decide if they will seek the death penalty against grant and amanda in the Laura atkerson case.

PROGRAM ALERT: STREAMING TODAY OF THE LAURENCE LOVETTE MURDER TRIAL IS UNAVAILABLE DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. :furious:

OT/ I saw on abc11 news this morning where prosecutor will decide if they will seek the death penalty against grant and amanda in the Laura atkerson case.

Thanks -- At least the possibility of it should scare them just a bit, I hope! That way the jury has a "fall-back" position if they just can't quite dish out the DP -- there's always LWOP! What an egotistical ******* he is.

Good Morning all!

I couldn't get the afternoon live stream either. Prolly a good thing because I caught up on some housework.

Looks like all of us should have a chance to clean today -- Thursday. Apparently no live feed from WRAL. Dayam-it! <sigh>
icon9.gif

From WRAL

Alert

Just In: Closing arguments have been scheduled for Monday in the trial of Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., who is charged with first-degree murder in the 2008 death of UNC-Chapel Hill student body president Eve Carson. Prosecutors rested their case Thursday afternoon after calling 43 witnesses over seven days. Defense attorneys rested their case without calling any witnesses.

From WRAL

Alert

Just In: Closing arguments have been scheduled for Monday in the trial of Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., who is charged with first-degree murder in the 2008 death of UNC-Chapel Hill student body president Eve Carson. Prosecutors rested their case Thursday afternoon after calling 43 witnesses over seven days. Defense attorneys rested their case without calling any witnesses.

Guess the defense couldn't dredge up a single soul, not even his mother, that could offer up anything to help the !

Guess his attorney rolled the dice and decided not to present any evidence so they could have the last argument to the jury on Monday. Maybe felt this was the best way to plant the seed for reasonable doubt.

Below is a link to WRAL's recap of proceedings today as well as a recap of the case.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10504850/

Since the DT will not present witnesses, they have the prerogative to present their closing argument last instead of the State having the last argument. We'll see how it goes on Monday -- maybe, if the technical issues can be fixed. They have tomorrow and the entire weekend to get it right. Let's hope we will be able to "be in the courtroom," too!

Will this be a quick verdict, sports fans?? Whaddya think? :waitasec:

Probably one of the shortest jury deliberations in NC history.

:seeya: ... Hi, gorealtors! Good to "see" you here! So you think it'll be quick, huh? Yeah, so do I.

There was more evidence pointing to Atwater, I'll agree, but it was Lovette's gun that was used to fire those 4--5 shots, with 4 hitting their marks -- although if he was trying to kill her, he was a pretty bad shot; he just put her in a lot of pain, and it would have taken much longer for poor Eve to die.

But his smiling face was captured by the ATM camera. And he was found later with the $700.00 ("Where did all the money go?" Bethea-Shields asks. It went to the ******* perps. I must say here, however, that Bethea-Shields was very respectful of the process and very soft-spoken and did as good a job as anyone could have. Kudos to her for helping respect the Constitutional right of a fair trial for the defendant. Somebody had to do it.)

Another felon-friend testified that Lovette told him all about it and had the .25 with him while he was doing so, that day at the Mini-Mart. <shaking my head in disgust>

What a pair of horrible no-conscience human beings. I hope they like powdered eggs and fake cheese sandwiches and mopping floors and cleaning commodes and close "buddies." For a long, long time. :furious:

:seeya: ... Hi, gorealtors! Good to "see" you here! So you think it'll be quick, huh? Yeah, so do I.

There was more evidence pointing to Atwater, I'll agree, but it was Lovette's gun that was used to fire those 4--5 shots, with 4 hitting their marks -- although if he was trying to kill her, he was a pretty bad shot; he just put her in a lot of pain, and it would have taken much longer for poor Eve to die.

But his smiling face was captured by the ATM camera. And he was found later with the $700.00 ("Where did all the money go?" Bethea-Shields asks. It went to the ******* perps. I must say here, however, that Bethea-Shields was very respectful of the process and very soft-spoken and did as good a job as anyone could have. Kudos to her for helping respect the Constitutional right of a fair trial for the defendant. Somebody had to do it.)

Another felon-friend testified that Lovette told him all about it and had the .25 with him while he was doing so, that day at the Mini-Mart. <shaking my head in disgust>

What a pair of horrible no-conscience human beings. I hope they like powdered eggs and fake cheese sandwiches and mopping floors and cleaning commodes and close "buddies." For a long, long time. :furious:

Bethea-Shields was very respectful, I agree. Lovette was only 17 and his lack of experience just didn't permit him to get the job "done" in the first 4 shots. Atwater came to his rescue. The testimony of the sorority sister is key in my mind to place those 2 thugs close to Eve's house at the appropriate time and then the cell phone ping sets it in stone. Then the icing on the cake is the "chirping" of the others that were privy to the details, courtesy of Atwater and Lovette. Was there a dangling carrot to cause that to happen?? Sure! But their stories seemed very consistent.

What is this "Laura Atkerson" case? I googled "laura atkerson murder" and the only result is your post. Nothing at WS, either.

What is this "Laura Atkerson" case? I googled "laura atkerson murder" and the only result is your post. Nothing at WS, either.

JoeFromLB -- It's Laura "Ackerson" and it's on WS... the last name spelling was close, but this ain't horseshoes, is it?!
icon10.gif
I can understand the mispelling since it's been a while since this case has had any action.

It's a nasty ex-boyfriend/ex-girlfriend-mother-of-his-two-children pre-meditated murder which occurred in Raleigh, NC. It appears that she was lured to & killed in his and his new wife's (? I think they are married, I can't remember ?) apartment -- then she was chopped up/sawed up and her body put into coolers, driven to wife's relatives' property in Texas, and her body parts were thrown into a creek. Found within couple of days.... and it began.

Found Deceased NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kiniston/Raleigh, 13 July 2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

ETA: Here is a new article from WRAL today:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10508261/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member