LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! That is basically what I have been thinking ... If the case is strong or weak, will the venue matter for the prosecution? IMO they should get the same result no matter where they are, so, why is there a negative reaction to possibly moving a case to another venue?

If their case is airtight....which they just seem to have circumstantial evidence at best from what has been released. Prosecution might not mind if it stayed in Lafayette as most people have heard about the case, and many have already made up their mind about BSL's innocent or lack thereof; and even if they haven't, they've read the MSM and other people's opinions and could be easily swayed one way or the other. IMO, of course.

Brettly got his bike back before Mickey disappeared. They rode their bikes back to his house from Artmosphere.

Thanks! That is basically what I have been thinking ... If the case is strong or weak, will the venue matter for the prosecution? IMO they should get the same result no matter where they are, so, why is there a negative reaction to possibly moving a case to another venue?

Sometimes, if a case is contentious, the lawyers want to act like asses.

Here's a question: it has already been established that LE had been following BSL for a while before his arrest. What happened on July 5 that caused them to search his property that day? Do they have to serve him in person before executing a search?

ETA: I was under the impression that BSL returned from OS on the 5th and was arrested on his way in. Am I mistaken?

This is an imagination. I do not believe this was an accident. Not with his prior history.
Look, I have been around cons. He is a con. Period. IMO

Sometimes, an imagination is useful.

Here's a question: it has already been established that LE had been following BSL for a while before his arrest. What happened on July 5 that caused them to search his property that day? Do they have to serve him in person before executing a search?

ETA: I was under the impression that BSL returned from OS on the 5th and was arrested on his way in. Am I mistaken?

I think one (or maybe both) of the articles I linked in a post on the previous page mentioned that they felt a little pushed into making the arrest, more or less because of worry that word of the trail they were following would leak. (If he was due back in town, that would make sense.) Also, guess they pretty much had to wait until he did get back.

Which brings to mind something I wondered about: What if they had been pushed by circumstances to arrest him immediately -- with him offshore! What would have been the legalities there? Anyone know?

There was an article linked (I need to go back and find it) where LE was quoted as saying they were "pushed" into arresting him on that day because they did not want information leaked to the media before he was brought in. I would assume they had the search warrants ready before they picked him up and started searching at that point. Of course I am paraphrasing what the exact wording is.... Anyone else remember this? I have no clue if they started searching prior to the arrest or not.

Whoever asked about roadblocks the night Mickey went missing... I only see a roadblock on Saturday the 19th starting at 9pm.

http://www.duiblock.com/dui_checkpoint_locations/louisiana/lafayette/

Thank-you Cajunstrong! Several times I had read in the threads there was a DUI check and that may have affected where people were driving that night. But we can rule that out now.

I wonder if BSL had to go on a hotshot job and deliver something in NO or bring it to a port for work and that's why he was in town.

There was an article linked (I need to go back and find it) where LE was quoted as saying they were "pushed" into arresting him on that day because they did not want information leaked to the media before he was brought in. I would assume they had the search warrants ready before they picked him up and started searching at that point. Of course I am paraphrasing what the exact wording is.... Anyone else remember this? I have no clue if they started searching prior to the arrest or not.

May be the same article I just mentioned.

I believe it's here: http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150336/Craft-We-don-t-know-where-she-he-does?odyssey=mod|mostview

...Craft ... admits the department moved somewhat quickly to arrest Lavergne out of concerns that information might leak out about him being a suspect or the discovery of the burned truck in Texas. In general, if such details begin circulating publicly and get back to the suspect, that could prompt them to leave the area, making an arrest much harder. ...

"We were kind of pushed into moving on it, but we were confident in our information and had it reviewed by the district attorney's office to make sure that we were on solid ground in taking him into custody," Craft said. ...

If anybody missed this excellent article, BTW -- you really should go read it, and don't miss its sidebar at the left of page 1.

IMO BSL is convinced that HE is the victim. He was wrongly accused and convicted in his first crime. Then this hard working good guy was looked upon negatively by his gf's family, some robbed and attacked him, then his truck was stolen, and now LE is framing him for the kidnap and murder of Mickey. That's his story and i don't think it will change despite any evidence. IMO- if there is not a change of venue he is gonna cry foul - because HE is the victim (whatever, yeah right, insert other expressions of disgust here_______). With that said, my vote IS for a change of venue. It sucks because it's not what the Shunick family wants and it really isn't fair to the community that has put blood, sweat, and tears into finding her to not have justice served on their grounds. However, if the evidence is damming it will be regardless of where the courtroom is. AND JMO I think they should send it here to good ole St. Tammany Parish where people are sentenced to life for marijuana!!

Also, he seems like a guy who likes to travel. Texas for his truck dumping, Whiskey Bay for the bike, Another area all together for his hospital visit, and the mention Of NO for his 'assault.' That makes me feel like he traveled a bit with her as well. I think the main crime scene was inside his truck.

katydid23, I feel that you are on to something. All the above mentioned events indicate an obvious pattern. A pattern of calculation, deflection, and an extreme attempt at manipulation on many fronts, imo. The common denominator is his awareness of jurisdictional linkage blindness.

Whether Mickey Schunick's valiant fight and resulting injuries to BSL was due to her having a weapon in advance. Or if by disarming BSL of his weapon and gaining control of it, as in the Meredith Hope Emerson abduction. BSL, was forced to alter his original plans, imo..

Sometimes, an imagination is useful.

Not when one is looking at a known predator. He would LOVE your imagination to get him off! (no pun intended)
I'm sorry, but we need to keep these sexual predators locked up!
I do not believe they can be rehabilitated!

known sex offenders do not change
imo
HELLO!

If LE knows his movements at all, they probably know whether he traveled any great distance on May 19th before ending up in New Orleans, and since they are searching locally, I would guess that he did not.

Also I believe that LE thinks Mickey was a random victim, and so do I. There is no indication that he knew her or had even seen her before.

As far as saying that they were investigating a "major crime" at his home-that does not mean it itself turned out to be a crime scene. They were, and are, investigating a major crime and had just arrested him on suspicion of murder and kidnapping.

Last I heard his brother was not a POI but good gosh I can't help but wonder WHY trade it in ... The day after!
He drove a silver Cadillac cts

Thanks Laffy Taffy for your posts about BSL's brother trading in his car (silver Caddy) the day after BSL was arrested. Do you know any additional information related to this event? Had the brother been having trouble with his Caddy? Do you know what he traded it in for? I noted you said it was likely nothing but simply curious timing (paraphrased). Just wondering whether you have any additional knowledge or insight on this happening. TIA

Here are some change of venues granted in Louisiana:

Adler "Barry" Seal
Gregory Griffin
Henry Bennett
Jason Willis
Gerald Estrade (jury imported)
Sonny James Caston
Joseph A. Thibodeaux
Thomas W. Silman
Albert Heard
Joel Durham
Christopher Joseph Guillory Jr (jury imported)
Shanda Spears Crain
Alvin Scott Loyd
Russell Ellwood
Daniel J Black
Ralph Stogner (jury imported)
Amy Tonguis (jury imported)
Wilbert Rideau
Amanda Gutweiler Hypes

It really just depends on the judge in the county, since it's their decision. One thing about murder trials is that it usually takes at least a year (usually more) before the case goes to trial, so by the time it comes around, people forget.

But yeah, a "change of venue" is pretty much requested in every case. Usually, they will do a public survey of county residents asking them if they are familiar with the case, what their opinion is, etc.

My 2 cents on carrying protection. My protection is only going to help me if I can get to it. I wear a camelbak and I keep my phone and my whistle in it. But I keep my more serious protection on my person because i figure the first thing someone will do is take my pack away because that is where they figure my gear is. My tool kit, as I mentioned, is strapped under my seat and zipped closed so I cannot even imagine I could get to anything in it-even if there were something good in there. mine is something like this and if I could get to it-in a pinch it would help-but overall not very intimidating:
Topeak Ii Survival Tool Wedge Pack with Fixer 25: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

But, if I were hit from behind my first impulse- if I could think straight-would not be that I needed to defend myself because I would ASSume it was not done intentionally. So, I don't think that I would scramble for my tool kit or anything else inaccessible because not sure I would perceive the need.

IMO,whether she had something on her or not she got to it later-either it was in her pocket or she got it from him. I do believe she used something to harm him because imo it is too big of a coincidence that he is wounded after all this and she wasn't involved. I think she did it and I think she had it in her pocket or got it in his truck.

I agree, If I am ever hit again and remain concious, I will most likely be screaming and fussing when I get up NOT trying to defend myself physically. I also carry a means of protection, but like you would most likely not be able to get to it quickly enough.

I believe she was able to mace him at some point, and that is when she was able to stab him. I believe this probably angered him and caused him to kill her.

I don't know why a change of venue is such a big deal...they should grant it, if it could come back to haunt them. They only get one chance and it should not matter who the jurors are if they have a good enough case. No one should be convicted because the emotions are running high about a particular victim.

OMG! Sexual predators are sexual predators!
They r looking for one thing!!!!!!!
Sex!
All the rest is what they feel they need to do after the fact!
Come ON!
This is why her bike was left after the fact!
I am a victim myself! (not him)
There is NO WAY he would have hidden her stuff prior to his immediate gratification!

One of the links we had very early this morning said they linked it through a tip -- I copied that statement in the last thread. Hold on, and I will see if I can't find it ... (and will ETA if I do).

ETA: Here it is, at this link: http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150334/Troubles-follow-suspect

Kinda also made me wonder if maybe there was an eyewitness to place BSL at WB -- as in, someone was with him (besides possibly Mickey, I mean.) I know that LE has basically said that they don't expect to make any more arrests in the case (as in article linked below), but ... that doesn't necessarily mean someone else might not have been around for at least part of what happened (especially, in my mind, if this DID begin as an accident). If there was someone else, LE might be dealing with that person in exchange for their testimony. Just a thought.

*http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150336/Craft-We-don-t-know-where-she-he-does?odyssey=mod|mostview

*(The quote just above is from the sidebar at left on page 1 of the main article just linked.)

He must have either been with someone or a neighbor reported seeing his truck at home during the time between when she went missing and the hospital visit. The Chief stated that they have this information. They don't seem to be questioning what he was doing during that time.

This leads me to believe that he spent very little time with Mickey and the bike. There must be a reason they feel she was murdered the morning of the 19th. Someone must have seen him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23