WA - Joshua Delacruz, 1, dies in hot car, Lynnwood, 6 April 2009

J. Brannagh

Mostly Lurkin' ;)
Reaction score
This is the first time I have started a thread so please let me know if I have done anything wrong. I just thought it was a good thing for people to see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digdug/3413933581/

Yesterday, April 6, 2009 a 1 year old baby boy was left in the car while his mother went to work at a local assisted living residence. She started work at 7am and at 2pm she found her 1 year old son unresponsive.

We live a few miles away and my husband noticed alot of helicopters in the sky yesterday afternoon so he turned on the news to see if he could find out what was going on.

That is when we found out about the child.

My Mother's good friend lives in this assisted living residence and the woman who left her child in the car is someone that she sees regularly.

She told my mother that she has heard that the woman was unable to leave her son at his daycare that morning because he had a fever, so she took him to work and left him in her car. When she was leaving work at 2pm she suddenly remembered/realized that she had left her son in the car. He was unresponsive and 911 was called.

Apparently they have an extended family living together. WHY didn't she call someone to come get her son? How could she leave him strapped into a car seat all day.

Unfortunenately we had our hottest day this spring yesterday. It was like summer.

My heart is just breaking thinking of that poor child, already sick with a fever, languishing away in a car on a hot day until it finally died.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO LEAVE YOUR CHILD IN YOUR CAR WHEN YOU GO TO WORK. IF YOUR OWN MORALS AND CONSCIENCE DON'T PREVENT YOU FROM DOING IT, THE LAW SHOULD.

I had to post this so people would see what can happen. Apparently this was not usual for her. She had a daycare, but she couldn't leave him because he was sick and she then just made bad decision after bad decision and left him in her car to die.

CALL A RELATIVE OR FRIEND TO PICK THEM UP

CALL IN SICK FROM WORK

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LEAVE YOUR CHILD IN YOUR CAR LIKE THIS.

Sorry, Rant over...

I agree 100% with you. My work understands that my son comes first. I am a single mom and I would never ever leave my son in a car. Not even to run into the convience store for something.

Don't even know what to say....no excuse for this and we are reading of it occurring far to often.

Bless the little boy

CALL A RELATIVE OR FRIEND TO PICK THEM UP

CALL IN SICK FROM WORK

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LEAVE YOUR CHILD IN YOUR CAR LIKE THIS.

couldn't agree more... and I think if someone's employer doesn't understand the responsibility that comes with being a parent, then perhaps they should find a new job.

that poor little guy, sick with a fever and locked in a stuffy car all day to suffer, tragic end to a life cut way too short :(

What kind of a F'kn moron takes their sick kid to daycare? And then to work, with a fever, and leaves them in the car UNATTENDED for 7 hours? 1 year old? No food? No water? I mean, you get breaks and lunch. Their must be more to this story otherwise this woman clearly wanted her kid to die.

What kind of a F'kn moron takes their sick kid to daycare? And then to work, with a fever, and leaves them in the car UNATTENDED for 7 hours? 1 year old? No food? No water? I mean, you get breaks and lunch. Their must be more to this story otherwise this woman clearly wanted her kid to die.

I really feel this is the lastest way to murder a child and get away with very little jail time if any jail at all. WTH is wrong with some parents today, When my kids were little you never heard of this happening.Most moms get real sick ,or stressed life can be hard, deaths in the family all kinds of things but there is no excuse for something like this to happen.She left a sick innocent little baby to bake in her car if she had a massive breakdown and was in a catatonic state then I could see it happening by accident.To me this is no accident.That poor baby I hope he did not suffer.

I really feel this is the lastest way to murder a child and get away with very little jail time if any jail at all. WTH is wrong with some parents today, When my kids were little you never heard of this happening.Most moms get real sick ,or stressed life can be hard, deaths in the family all kinds of things but there is no excuse for something like this to happen.She left a sick innocent little baby to bake in her car if she had a massive breakdown and was in a catatonic state then I could see it happening by accident.To me this is no accident.That poor baby I hope he did not suffer.

First of all OMG that poor baby bless his heart hopefully he did not suffer. From my read I totally agree with you that it seems like this is the way to murder a precious child and get away with it. It seems to be happening far to often. This was absolutely no accident she knew he was left out in that car to bake. WTH I'm sure she got a break to get something to eat or drink totally forgetting about her poor baby that is just so wrong and selfish. WTH is :mad:wrong with people today.

Interesting comments from here. http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_040709WAB-baby-dead-in-car-KS.b17372f2.html

C3c3 6 hours ago wrote:
All of u guys need to just leave her alone this is my cousin and it was by total accident !!!! It's not up to u to judge... Now I know how celebrities feel when things get into the press and the whole story is not revealed!! Yeah first reaction is to bring her down and tell the world that she is an unfit mother for doing this but if u knew how much of a miscommunication and how that morning was for her..YOU,(the public) have no idea what a loving mother and great person she is we grew up together and I. Just saw her at my work two weeks ago... I can't beleive how this ACCIDENT !!!!! could happen to someone who loves and cares about her baby boy !;( I'm so sorry cous.. I am here for u.. This woman should not be charged it was a huge mistake... And yes of course she cried and she's deeply sad about it! She had no idea the baby boy was in the car... She was in a hurry to work and she went to work to hurry and not be late she wasn't even supposed to take the kid someone put the baby in her car instead of theirs to take him to daycare!!!

That poor baby has been indentified as Joshua Michael Delacruz, mother still hasn't been identified.

I'm wondering if this is the mom's MySpace.

http://www.myspace.com/beautifullsofia

About me:

HEY SO THE NAME IS SOFIA REYNA I WAS BORN ON JAN.17.OF 88 WHICH MAKES ME 21 HELL YA BABY! BUT NE-WAYS I HAVE 2 KIDS A BABY GIRL ALYSA JAYDE REYNA SHE IS 3 NOW AND A BIG BRAT... WHICH I LUV SO MUCH AN SHE KNOW'S IT! THEN THERE IS MY BOY HE IS NOW GOING ON 1YR.MAN TIME FLY'S.... BUT HIS NAME IS JOSHUA MICHAEL DELACRUZ!! YEP DELACRUZ U MAY KNOW HIS DADDY ALEX DELACRUZ.... ALSO MY MAN AND HE IS A GREAT GUY I LUV HIM SOOO MUCH AND NO GIRL CAN CHANGE THAT! ANYWAYS I HAVE 4 SIBLINGS 2 BEAUTIFUL SISTER'S JENNY && MARINA AN MY LOVING BROTHER MARK....I GOT 3 NEICES AN ONE NEPHEW.... OH YA AND A NEICE OR A NEPHEW ON THE WAY MAN I CANT BELEIVE IT, BUT I LUV MY FAMILY TO THE FULLEST. WELL ENOUGH ABOUT MY FAMILY! AND BACK 2 ME I LUV 2 CHILL WIT MY GIRLS(WHEN I GET A CHANCE).... I'M A PRETTY OUT GOING PERSON AN CAN BE COOL IN LESS U RUN UR MOUTH..THAN ANOTHER SIDE OF ME WILL COME OUT! IF YOUR ABOUT THA D.R.A.M.A YOU CAN {{KICK ROCKS}} CUZ THOSE DAYS R OVER FOR ME.... BUT I THINK THAT'S IT, SO IF U HAVE ANYTHING ELSE U WANT 2 KNOW HIT ME UP DNT BE SHY.... *SOFIA*

Well she signed into myspace yesterday. I have no comment at this time about the death of this baby, because nothing that I could possibly say would be nice.

Ugh, the MySpace. I'm rethinking how intentional this was. I think she's just felony stupid, to quote Brass from CSI.

I really don't know what we should do with these people. Do we err on the side of the parents who truly forget (how?) and have to spend the rest of their lives hating themselves for what they've done? Or do we levy harsher penalties across the board?

I'm just so exhausted by these lethally dumb people. Since this woman KNEW this boy was in the car, it should be treated as aggravated child abuse and some degree of murder. Start making examples of these nimrods. If just one baby is saved, it'll be worth it.

There was something I heard a few weeks ago, some expert was talking about how babies are left in a car and die and how people can just not understand how anybody who loves and cares about their child can ever do this. They said that our minds do not selectivly remember/forget things due to how important something is to us. If you have ever forgotten simple everyday things then you also could forget about a baby. Now I have forgotten things at times, I've left the house without my cell phone, forgotten where my keys are or leave papers behind that I need and once when I was travelling I even checked out of my hotel room and left my wallet behind, I was a good hour away before I figured it out and had to drive back to get it.
I don't know this woman and I don't know all the details of how this was set up to happen, I'm hoping this beautiful baby was not left on purpose and I thank the heavens that I have never had this happen with the many times I have ever been in charge of a small child.

VB

I don't understand. Did she forget he was in the car, did she think that he could sleep all day in the car?? These cases make me so sad, how can you forget about your child, where they are, who they are with... I hate cases like this. And the sad thing is, there will be more of these to come this year :( I think all parents should keep a stuff animal in the carseat, and when baby is in it, place the stuff animal next to you. Or position the carseat in the vechicle so you can see who is in it. WHn I am driving I see my babies..

OMG! I just noticed I put in the wrong link on this thread!!

I meant to put in a link to the newspaper article about this.

I acccidently put in the picture my daughter sent me from tokyo showing the beer fridge at the store empty because of the local concert. Just as a "isn't that so funny".

Sorry!! (obviously my first thread huh!?!)

I don't understand. Did she forget he was in the car, did she think that he could sleep all day in the car?? These cases make me so sad, how can you forget about your child, where they are, who they are with... I hate cases like this. And the sad thing is, there will be more of these to come this year :( I think all parents should keep a stuff animal in the carseat, and when baby is in it, place the stuff animal next to you. Or position the carseat in the vechicle so you can see who is in it. WHn I am driving I see my babies..

It seems it's not that uncommon to "forget" your baby is in the car - how it happens, I cannot understand.
Another suggestion to those who might be to rushed to remember their child - put you purse or briefcase (or anything you need where you are going) on the seat next to the baby.

Interesting comments from here. http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_040709WAB-baby-dead-in-car-KS.b17372f2.html

That poor baby has been indentified as Joshua Michael Delacruz, mother still hasn't been identified.

I find it interesting that her cousin is saying that she didn't even know that he was in her car, that someone had accidently put him in her car by mistake.

When my mother's friend who lives at the facility said that she was late to work that morning and that she couldn't leave her son at daycare because he had a fever... leading me to think that she had tried. Also her saying that she remembered that he was in there when she was leaving work at 2. All of which contradicts the comment that she didn't know he was in her car at all.

I am someone who would forget everything were it not for stickies... and maybe she was so flustered at not being able to leave her son at daycare and being late for work that she did forget, which is not impossible.... but, really... I would hope that you would stay clear enough that it would never be an option to leave your infant in your car while your at work, no matter the weather.

Maybe they are trying to protect her, and think it is better to say she didn't know he was there, but I think the truth will come out so she should think twice about lying to LE.

The stories of a parent that forgets a small child are similar over and over again. One spouse goes out of town, so the other spouse has the child and drives to work (I've gotten to work and had to turn around and take the baby to daycare). Or the daycare center won't take the sick baby, leaving the parent going to work with the kid in the back seat. These stories seem to have an overwhelming similarity. Something got messed up in the routine.

This woman never has a child in her car when she gets to work. Do you? Not likely. Do you ever think to look in the back seat of your car at work to make sure your sleeping child isn't there? Not likely. You'd be considered paranoid if you did. I'd imagine her work routine was to get to work, park, get her coffee, walk into the office, check in, etc.

I think this is a terrible thing, but I don't think this is the type of case where a mom goes to Walmart and leaves the kids in the car. I don't think this was intentional and it can happen to anyone.

The thing that I find interesting is that when a child drowns at the pool you don't hear everyone saying "I'd never let my little child in the pool unless I was in the pool with the kid" or I'd never take my eyes off the kid, not even for 10 seconds". Those are easy things to say, but is that really true? How can one say they'd never forget their child. People can said they'd try hard to never forget a child, or never intentionally leave a child in the car, but parents that get out of their routine and get to work forgetting there is a child in the back seat are not choosing to forget.

The stories of a parent that forgets a small child are similar over and over again. One spouse goes out of town, so the other spouse has the child and drives to work (I've gotten to work and had to turn around and take the baby to daycare). Or the daycare center won't take the sick baby, leaving the parent going to work with the kid in the back seat. These stories seem to have an overwhelming similarity. Something got messed up in the routine.

This woman never has a child in her car when she gets to work. Do you? Not likely. Do you ever think to look in the back seat of your car at work to make sure your sleeping child isn't there? Not likely. You'd be considered paranoid if you did. I'd imagine her work routine was to get to work, park, get her coffee, walk into the office, check in, etc.

I think this is a terrible thing, but I don't think this is the type of case where a mom goes to Walmart and leaves the kids in the car. I don't think this was intentional and it can happen to anyone.

The thing that I find interesting is that when a child drowns at the pool you don't hear everyone saying "I'd never let my little child in the pool unless I was in the pool with the kid" or I'd never take my eyes off the kid, not even for 10 seconds". Those are easy things to say, but is that really true? How can one say they'd never forget their child. People can said they'd try hard to never forget a child, or never intentionally leave a child in the car, but parents that get out of their routine and get to work forgetting there is a child in the back seat are not choosing to forget.

Agreed. I use to think so terribly about people who did this, but the ones who do so when going to work, the recent study (it was in the Washington Post online if anyone wants to read it) was so thought provoking. Basically, it is more of a brain failure than an issue of abusive parenting. The brain literally doesn't see the reality of having the child in the car in the first place--because so much else is going on or there is a change in routine.

I know that at times I have held two separate realities in my head: I have a meeting set for Tuesday at 9:00 and I also have to take my child to the doctor at 9:00 and I find I can function for several days with both realities at the same time.

The parents who leave their children in cars come from all walks of life and all kinds of jobs--medical personnel, educators, law enforcement, etc.

The other kind of parent who leaves their children in the car at night are often impaired from drugs or alcohol. They're just plain abusively neglectful.

Rainbows, you hit the nail on the head--the one factor in all of these cases is "something was different in the routine that morning."

We are too stressed and overloaded all together as a people in raising our children, but it is not a purposeful or neglect to the point of abuse in many of these cases. A simple tech reminder device would save a lot of children's lives.

This is a horible tragedy. :(
I wish they'd sell something that would "alert" when one gets out of the car if there's any "weight" in the baby/car seat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back