CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't jump the gun, and hope i didn't in this case.

I didn't know that Greenh..k is a chain with various locations, so it could be that the CEO IR who spoke for Greenh..k does not live or work in Orangeville. If that is true, then he would probably not be the same IR with the car for sale.

Maybe one of our Orangeville members could clarify this for me/us. If I'm wrong, i'll ask the mods to delete my posts in that regard.

I think I noticed the name similarity too sillybilly and I think he works out of the head office in Mississauga. He is definitely not the guy Sonia was dating. Doesn't surprise me that he'd have a beemer for sale...he's probably a very successful guy! LOL.

Can't believe it's still so quiet in this investigation. I really thought with 3 crime scenes that this one would be a quick resolution. :(

Where was that pharmaceutical company that Sonia worked for? I thought it was in Mississauga.

I think I noticed the name similarity too sillybilly and I think he works out of the head office in Mississauga. He is definitely not the guy Sonia was dating. Doesn't surprise me that he'd have a beemer for sale...he's probably a very successful guy! LOL.

Can't believe it's still so quiet in this investigation. I really thought with 3 crime scenes that this one would be a quick resolution. :(

Thanks Kamille. Yes, i did acknowledge that Sonia's bf and the CEO were two different individuals. When I worked in Etobicoke, we had employees who commuted from the Georgetown / Orangeville area, and as far north as Barrie, so my main question is if IR who is the CEO of GH lives in Orangeville (because there is an "I. Russ..." listed in phone listings. (Also, i am trying to determine if the OV store was one of their 2 original Ontario locations ... just can't seem to find that info right now).

As for the vehicle, wouldn't surprise me either that a person with means would own a Beemer. Leaving no stone unturned however, it has been considered that a vehicle other than Sonia's may have been used, and her vehicle WAS found outside a company owned by this person's family, and this person has spoken out wrt the 2 employees that were subsequently fired. Russ Williams was a "successful guy" that nobody considered because of his status. It could very well be that the vehicle was listed for sale prior to Sonia's disappearance, in which case i would rule it out as an item of interest. IF it turns out however that the individual does live in OV, and his vehicle was listed for sale AFTER Sonia's disappearance, then i am still interested in finding out those facts.

Where was that pharmaceutical company that Sonia worked for? I thought it was in Mississauga.

That's correct Summer .. she was a recent hire at the Mississauga company.

FWIW, pharmaceuticals are used in the equine industry.

Just to throw this out there- Does anyone else think there could be a link to the fire this week at the John Howard Society Buiding? I don't tknow much about it, but there were residences above, not far from where car was found, and not far from her Sonia's house. Just my speculation, but it would be a good way to rid evidence if the LE were getting too close. May mean absolutely nothing, but with no news lately, can't discount any possibilities....
JMO

Just to throw this out there- Does anyone else think there could be a link to the fire this week at the John Howard Society Buiding? I don't tknow much about it, but there were residences above, not far from where car was found, and not far from her Sonia's house. Just my speculation, but it would be a good way to rid evidence if the LE were getting too close. May mean absolutely nothing, but with no news lately, can't discount any possibilities....
JMO

Thanks Haylee. Sonia's car was found beside Greenhawk at 67 Broadway, and the John Howard Society shows as 184 Broadway. A whitepages reverse addy search only comes up with the JHS, not any other occupants in that building. Hopefully LE is on top of that and is considering it as part of this investigation.

JMO

I don't think so but I'm sure that anything that happens in Orangeville now will be viewed with more scrutiny until this case is solved.

Speaking of that, I noticed on the FB page for Sonia that a local posted on Oct 16 that LE were out canvassing the neighbourhood again. And putting up posters. This sounds more like a random stranger to me now. They must have some DNA evidence back but it obviously doesn't match anyone on their suspect list. :(

Could the fire at JHS have been set by the perp to get rid of boots, files on him/herself or anthying else incriminating? Lots of transients living in the apts. above that area.

http://www.orangeville.com/

In this link police say they have no suspects.

Hello everyone,
I've been reading the posts here for a while, hoping that something new will be shared about the case. Sadly, there's no news. In my opinion, the police have nothing. In the Global News interview, Sonia's father said something to the effect of "this was not done by a junior, the person has probably done this before". That leads me to believe that there may not have been any evidence, or very little evidence left behind. When police hunted for the killer of Holly Jones, they used DNA evidence, and her killer was arrested within a week or two. Sadly, Sonia has been gone for a LOT longer than that. I'm sure any DNA evidence that was found, has already been processed. People have criticized Sonia's neighbours for not calling police when they heard screams. If you've ever tried calling the police for a disturbance, you'll know that they don't come very quickly, if at all. I doubt that a call to the police would have saved Sonia. However, I encourage all those people who have 5 minutes on their hands now, to call the police. This killer is still living among us all. They could be in Orangeville. Sonia lived there. They could be in Mississauga. She worked there. They could be in any city where she worked before. They could be in Bolton, where her parents live. They could be your next door neighbour. Call the police and ask, why NOTHING is being shared with the public. Think about the kind of person who can come into a woman's home, kill her, and drag her body outside, and dump her in a field. They could be someone you know. The police won't tell us anything. Nothing at all. Who among us is then safe? Either they literally know nothing, or they owe society an answer. How can Sonia's neighbours sleep at night, not knowing if they are next? The least they can do is tell us if they are looking for a male or a female. Do they know for certain it was someone she knew? How? People can't just accept that Sonia died, and that's the end. At the very least, email your local newspaper, and ask that investigative reporters continue to hound this case and report on it. This reminds me very much of the Leah Sousa case, where someone broke into her home and killed her, then dragged her outside to her backyard, raped her, and left her. The only evidence there, was also a shoe print, about a size 9 or 10. That was 20 years ago. Are we willing to wait 20 years for Sonia's killer to be found?

Hello everyone,
I've been reading the posts here for a while, hoping that something new will be shared about the case. Sadly, there's no news. In my opinion, the police have nothing. In the Global News interview, Sonia's father said something to the effect of "this was not done by a junior, the person has probably done this before". That leads me to believe that there may not have been any evidence, or very little evidence left behind. When police hunted for the killer of Holly Jones, they used DNA evidence, and her killer was arrested within a week or two. Sadly, Sonia has been gone for a LOT longer than that. I'm sure any DNA evidence that was found, has already been processed. People have criticized Sonia's neighbours for not calling police when they heard screams. If you've ever tried calling the police for a disturbance, you'll know that they don't come very quickly, if at all. I doubt that a call to the police would have saved Sonia. However, I encourage all those people who have 5 minutes on their hands now, to call the police. This killer is still living among us all. They could be in Orangeville. Sonia lived there. They could be in Mississauga. She worked there. They could be in any city where she worked before. They could be in Bolton, where her parents live. They could be your next door neighbour. Call the police and ask, why NOTHING is being shared with the public. Think about the kind of person who can come into a woman's home, kill her, and drag her body outside, and dump her in a field. They could be someone you know. The police won't tell us anything. Nothing at all. Who among us is then safe? Either they literally know nothing, or they owe society an answer. How can Sonia's neighbours sleep at night, not knowing if they are next? The least they can do is tell us if they are looking for a male or a female. Do they know for certain it was someone she knew? How? People can't just accept that Sonia died, and that's the end. At the very least, email your local newspaper, and ask that investigative reporters continue to hound this case and report on it. This reminds me very much of the Leah Sousa case, where someone broke into her home and killed her, then dragged her outside to her backyard, raped her, and left her. The only evidence there, was also a shoe print, about a size 9 or 10. That was 20 years ago. Are we willing to wait 20 years for Sonia's killer to be found?

Actually it was about 6 weeks ( Not a week or 2) after Holly's murder that there was an arrest.
The police had a suspect who refused to provide a DNA sample that they then followed him around and collected a discarded Pop Can that the suspect threw into the garbage and got his DNA from that.

So they could be following several suspects trying to get their DNA in this case as well.

Hello everyone,

Welcome Coral. I certainly understand your concern and it does appear as though whatever list of suspects LE had has been ruled out and they are back to square one. I would think they got some DNA evidence but it just doesn't match up to anyone on the suspect list or anyone in the data bank. It really is like finding a needle in a haystack at this point.

I doubt the people of Orangeville have to be concerned about this person striking again in their town, he/she has probably long since left the area....it's the rest of us who should be worried IMO. :(

They should be checking into anyone who may have moved since this crime or anyone who may have left town to go to college/university.

Ironically, if they are to find any local transients who have disappeared since this crime, they should be checking with the JHS, the public health unit and any other place that these people would normally get assistance from to see if any of their "regulars" are no longer in town. They should also be asking these agencies in other towns to be on the lookout for someone new who showed up around that time and of course to be on the lookout for the boots.

While some women do own workboots, it would be rare for them to wear a men's size 10/11 so it most likely is a man they are looking for.

MOO

Could the fire at JHS have been set by the perp to get rid of boots, files on him/herself or anthying else incriminating? Lots of transients living in the apts. above that area.

http://www.orangeville.com/

In this link police say they have no suspects.

Intersting idea katecav. I'm sure they're checking the rubble very carefully.

MOO

Actually it was about 6 weeks ( Not a week or 2) after Holly's murder that there was an arrest.
The police had a suspect who refused to provide a DNA sample that they then followed him around and collected a discarded Pop Can that the suspect threw into the garbage and got his DNA from that.

So they could be following several suspects trying to get their DNA in this case as well.

Not sure if they'd be out recanvassing if that were the case Valleyboy, but I sure hope so and that one of them is the right one. :furious:

Hello everyone,

Sadly, some police forces do not respond quickly, if at all, to "domestics", or if they think the call is a "domestic". There was a very sad case of a mother having to make repeated calls to LE in one major city, only for LE to find her children dead once they finally got to the home. The father had been looking after the children while the mother was at work.

I can't say what happened in Sonia's case, but with 40 officers now canvassing the Orangeville, it looks like they're putting effort into the search for her killer.

Anyone know the name of the pharmaceutical company Sonia worked at? Also, can anyone tell me why a nurse might take a job at a pharmaceutical company, and in what capacity would they likely be employed there? (Maybe the nursing/medical department of a large company??)

Anyone know the name of the pharmaceutical company Sonia worked at? Also, can anyone tell me why a nurse might take a job at a pharmaceutical company, and in what capacity would they likely be employed there? (Maybe the nursing/medical department of a large company??)

There's money in sales.

Better hours, less stress, more autonomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.