UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mel, I agree she needs to be found, but wow, the massive search effort it would take is so overwhelming. I believe someone hear stated that per the info he gave, (Perhaps not reliable) Josh was gone for 17 hours, minimum. That would mean he could have driven as far as 8 hours in any direction and dumped the body somewhere. Until the police can at least get an idea of a direction, I don't know where they'd even start.

Although I think I highly doubt she's south or anywhere near the Pony Express Trails. Unless he's really stupid and wanted to lead them right to her so he really did stash her in the same area he went "camping."

And I completely agree, she sure could be closer to home. Horrible thought, but I wonder how far a person can carry a body in freezing cold and not tire to the point of being unable to continue. He could have parked in a remote area a couple hours away, sedated the kids, left them sleeping in the van, then carried her out as far as he possibly could to conceal her in an old mine or something. If he took several breaks and was dressed warmly enough, I could conceive him taking her quite a ways out from any roads. I SO hope they can get a cell ping or something that will at least give them some idea of which way to start.

In that amount of time he also could have easily crossed the state line to Idaho, Wyoming or Nevada. Those are day trips some Salt Lakers make quite often. Being that he said he 'went down south' AND Pony Express (which is west)... god knows where he really went.

I am so beside myself as I just check the news for Susan..husbands clamming up, wont talk to police ! Surprised no, PO'ed yes. What a .
I certainly hope that LE has something...this whole he is not a suspect, we don't have anything, don't know where to look is making me extremely ill....

Susan where are you ? Haunt your husband every night until he can't take it anymore....

I think he went south...the reason is because he did not mean to say that and changed it as soon as he realized what he was saying in the interview...I certainly hope this is not going to be another one of those cases that just goes cold....

I hope they can find her soon, and I am hoping because it has been so cold that her body will hold on to more evidence for them to test and find out what happened to her.

Sorry if this was posted already:

Susan Powell's Father on Son-in-Law: 'I Don't Know What to Think'
Joshua Powell, Husband of Missing Mom Susan Powell, Skipped Police Interview, Hired Lawyer
By LISA FLETCHER, SARAH NETTER and LEE FERRAN
Dec. 15, 2009

"It kind of raises a red flag, but I know he has to protect himself," neighbor Wendy Trujillo told "Good Morning America." "We're just really worried about Susan, and, of course, everyone's thinking the worst and just hoping by the faith of God that she does come back."

Trujillo told ABC News that police and forensic units have been at the Powell home nearly every day since Susan Powell was reported missing. They've removed several bags and boxes as well as one of the family's computers. Joshua Powell and the couple's sons, she said, have not been staying at the house

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/missing-mom-susan-powell-suspicion-grows-husband-lawyers/story?id=9336078

Snipped & bold added by me.

I think he went south...the reason is because he did not mean to say that and changed it as soon as he realized what he was saying in the interview...

Hey, great thinking!! He did say south then kind of stumble to the Pony Express thing. The Pony Express Trails appear to be Southwest. So after he said "south" he could have been thinking, "oh dang!" and diverted to the Pony Express Trails cause they are kind of south and wouldn't make him sound like a complete and total liar. In that sentence anyway.

Mel, I agree she needs to be found, but wow, the massive search effort it would take is so overwhelming. I believe someone hear stated that per the info he gave, (Perhaps not reliable) Josh was gone for 17 hours, minimum. That would mean he could have driven as far as 8 hours in any direction and dumped the body somewhere. Until the police can at least get an idea of a direction, I don't know where they'd even start./QUOTE]

Snipped and bolded by me. I have a 22 month old. There is no way I can drive for 17 hours without stopping to feed and change him or give him some stretching time. HE MUST have stopped and must have been seen - or someone watched these kids for him. Or he didn't go very far, it just took him longer to get rid of her and he was taking his time and rethinking his plans.

Also as per the friend who came over to crotchet - what kind of friend stays at the home after she is told by the host she is tired and is going to lie down?

I for one would never just hang out with my friend's husband while my friend is sick and or tired. I would leave.

I'm snipping and bolding again.

Also as per the friend who came over to crotchet - what kind of friend stays at the home after she is told by the host she is tired and is going to lie down? I for one would never just hang out with my friend's husband while my friend is sick and or tired. I would leave.

I believe the friend was there to work on a crochet project. If it was something elaborate needing done by Christmas I could see her continuing to work on it after Susan went to lay down. Maybe Susan insisted she not leave right then, being kind and not wanting to make her feel unwelcome.

For me personally, I would have to be really close to that person to feel comfortable doing anything in her home without her right there. I don't think this guest was super tight with Susan, but I also don't suspect her of anything. She's an older woman so it probably didn't feel too inappropriate to be staying and talking with Josh.

But um, yeah, I definitely feel you on this one. If it was me, I wouldn't have stayed either.

Mendara, I wondered about the crochet lady too. Was she a church friend who also counseled younger members with marital problems? Susan invites her over, using crochet as an excuse and then feigns a headache so the friend can have a moment alone with Josh to speak about his controlling ways. That may have triggered Josh. Just a thought.

How long do crochet lessons take? Whenever I was having trouble with a pattern, just a few minutes with a pro helped. It doesn't take long does it? It's been awhile since I crocheted.

Mendara, I wondered about the crochet lady too. Was she a church friend who also counseled younger members with marital problems? Susan invites her over, using crochet as an excuse and then feigns a headache so the friend can have a moment alone with Josh to speak about his controlling ways. That may have triggered Josh. Just a thought.

How long do crochet lessons take? Whenever I was having trouble with a pattern, just a few minutes with a pro helped. It doesn't take long does it? It's been awhile since I crocheted.

I don't have the correct link handy, but I could swear Owings said that she was helping Susan untangle a mess of yarn. That would warrant staying after Susan went to bed: "Oh don't worry yourself, dear, I'll get this finished so you can work on your project when you're feeling better."

I am also still very confused over the "dinner guest". Why did Susan really
invite this 54 yr. old neighbor over to sit in the living room with her to-
eat and crochet??

As I remember crocheting takes both hands. How the heck do you untangle
yarn, crochet and eat dinner at the same time??

There is something odd about this whole story.

Mel, I agree she needs to be found, but wow, the massive search effort it would take is so overwhelming. I believe someone hear stated that per the info he gave, (Perhaps not reliable) Josh was gone for 17 hours, minimum. That would mean he could have driven as far as 8 hours in any direction and dumped the body somewhere. Until the police can at least get an idea of a direction, I don't know where they'd even start.

Although I think I highly doubt she's south or anywhere near the Pony Express Trails. Unless he's really stupid and wanted to lead them right to her so he really did stash her in the same area he went "camping."

And I completely agree, she sure could be closer to home. Horrible thought, but I wonder how far a person can carry a body in freezing cold and not tire to the point of being unable to continue. He could have parked in a remote area a couple hours away, sedated the kids, left them sleeping in the van, then carried her out as far as he possibly could to conceal her in an old mine or something. If he took several breaks and was dressed warmly enough, I could conceive him taking her quite a ways out from any roads. I SO hope they can get a cell ping or something that will at least give them some idea of which way to start.

He really wouldn't have to carry her at all, with all the snow he could just put her on a sled and pull her. He did say earlier he was taking the kids sledding.
I keep hoping Susan will be found. She did not deserve this!
I'm also hoping cell phone pings can give clues but it's so well known now how they can be used that most people would have it shut off.

VB

Searching would be hard, I agree, but ask everyone to watch wildlife behaviors.......such as big birds circling............ben known to help find victims.
I'm sure vulchers, eagles, hawks are in UTAH ???
Watch the skies out there!

I don't have the correct link handy, but I could swear Owings said that she was helping Susan untangle a mess of yarn. That would warrant staying after Susan went to bed: "Oh don't worry yourself, dear, I'll get this finished so you can work on your project when you're feeling better."
Forensics hopefully looked for her hair anywhere that she last was, in home or at the neighbors that had dinner with them...and the "yarn lady's" place. Hair folical testing shows and drug that has been in the body for up to out as long as 4 months. I have alwasy thought the drugging idea. Due to her getting sleepy. That is not normal for an active young gal, to just have to all of a sudden feel the need to go lay down.

Maybe she was pregnant and that is why she was tired and sick. Maybe that set Josh off. I don't know. Just a thought.

I understand the possibility he may have driven up to 8 hours in any direction...
but, how nerve-racking would that be? Driving for so many hours with a dead body in the car? Especially given that he also had their two young children in the car.

I think he would be paranoid about being pulled over by the highway patrol.

I think it may be more likely he disposed of her body within an hour radius of their home. Someplace remote, yet familiar to him.

(but, then again, I've never driven around with a dead body in my car, so my experience is obviously limited).

It has taken me a day to read through all the posts on Susan's case. This is so sad. If feel terrible for her sons. I just don't understand these husbands. Isn't it easer to get a divorce, then to kill your spouse and spend the rest of your life in prison. To be honest, I really think that Josh is a couple fries short of a happy meal. If your wacky enough to kill your wife at least come up with a good alibi. I'm sorry, but no one goes camping, in the dead of winter, with two small children in the middle of the night. I really hope they make an arrest soon.:twocents:

Just thinking......

Maybe LE can do a public appeal for anyone who may have seen his van. There must be something on that van that could stick out and jog someone's memory (like a bumper sticker, etc...). If they show a picture of his van, they could find out where the most consistent sightings would be and go from there. What do you all think?

The wife of a man with a control problem probably wouldn't invite a friend over for dinner unless the husband agreed to it first, IMO. I don't think that we should assume that the guest was her idea just because she made the actual phone call th invite the friend. It is quite possible that Josh told her to do it.

I also want to mention that although I am 47 years old, I would not be comfortable hanging out at a much younger friend's home with her husband if my friend were sick in bed. The age difference would not make me any more comfortable. In that situation, I might have offered to take the project home with me or come back another day.

Susan

I think it's possible he drugged her and kept checking on her. Question is, did he specifically fix HER plate? Obviously, if the plan was to drug her, he would have to take measures that no one else got the drugged food/drink.

FWIW, I would never have a friend over and suddenly be overwhelmingly tired enough to say that I have to go lay down and leave my friend. I would have to be drugged in that case. If she was drugged, perhaps she was just barely concious enough later to get up and stumble around and injure herself.

JMO, but I think Josh did something and it was pre-meditated. I think a series of unexpected things happened that threw a wrench in his plans. Maybe he drugged her and planned to go on the trip, thinking when he came back she would be dead. When she got up, thinking her friend was still there, in a half drugged fog, she fell, got seriously hurt and things started to go bad from there.

A commenter on a newspaper said he was out where Josh went camping on Sunday night and there is no way a van could have managed. He said he was in a four-wheeler and still got stuck twice. The weather was terrible with freezing rain and snow.

I liked Vegas Bride's idea of using the sled to hide the body. Where could he do it when it's dark and freezing rain? He'd have to be very familiar or he'd risk his own life and leave the little kids out there to freeze.

Wonder if he left the sled there or brought it home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans