NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with Maura possibly getting into a car with someone right away or being abducted was that her boyfriend got a whimpering phone call the next morning. I wonder if LE questions how likely it would be that she'd be able to get to the phone and why she didn't ask for help instead of whimper, if it were her. Of course, she could have been out in the cold, and almost to hypothermia. Even with that, she'd have had to been in some shelter overnight or she might have already been affected and unconscious.

The only problem with Maura possibly getting into a car with someone right away or being abducted was that her boyfriend got a whimpering phone call the next morning. I wonder if LE questions how likely it would be that she'd be able to get to the phone and why she didn't ask for help instead of whimper, if it were her. Of course, she could have been out in the cold, and almost to hypothermia. Even with that, she'd have had to been in some shelter overnight or she might have already been affected and unconscious.

IIRC it was said that there was a problem with the boyfriend's phone and that the caller sometimes didn't know it had gone to voice mail. So there was a theory that Maura may not have said anything because she was unaware that she was being recorded.I believe this was posted on the now closed MMM forum, but I cannot reference it because it's closed. It is unfortunate as it (the MMM forum) was a wealth of information from early on in the investigation as well as postings from people who knew Maura and has firsthand info. It would be nice if it could at least be made available for reading/searching even if it was not open to posting. JMO

There is that possibility the call was not from Maura. LE seems to have disregarded it after they found out it was from a Red Cross calling card.

I think she could have survived the night, if she kept on moving. If she stopped and remained outdoors, I don't think she would have made it, especially if she fell asleep. She didn't sleep much the night before, so that was a big danger if she remained outdoors.

I feel bad for the bus driver. I really think he attempted to do the right thing, and it has just caused him grief. I'm 2 years younger than Maura Murray and I've done some stupid things while drunk and even sober. When I read her story, I feel lucky to be alive. I once freaked out by the Phillies stadium after a cop told me I needed to find my friends. I was so drunk I couldn't even work a phone. I ended up leaving my friends phone and mine on the curb while I ran from the cop - I was scared he would arrest me. I jumped into the back of a random persons van and ended up in another state. Some how I got home alive that night, but it was basically a miracle. If Maura was drinking and driving (which it sounds like) she was probably freaked out. She may have hopped in the wrong car in an attempt to keep her DUI a secret.
I had a 1993 Saturn - it was an odd car. I literally hit a car while I was rolling forward at a red light (I didn't have my foot completely on the brake). The car in front of me had a metal hitch. It caught the hood of my car which
folded up like an accordion. The sides of my Saturn were really stable and built for safety. It was hit while I was in the passenger side of the car by a van. There wasn't a dent in my car - and my door some how survived. Saturn's can be weird when they're in an accident.

I had a few miracles in my youth too, which is why I think Maura wasn't trying to commit suicide or take off forever. I think she knew she messed up and reacted on impulse.

You are right on the money about the Saturn. I had one too. You could take a hammer to the door or fenders and it wouldn't dent. If you hit it hard enough, it might split, but that's about it.

IIRC it was said that there was a problem with the boyfriend's phone and that the caller sometimes didn't know it had gone to voice mail. So there was a theory that Maura may not have said anything because she was unaware that she was being recorded.I believe this was posted on the now closed MMM forum, but I cannot reference it because it's closed. It is unfortunate as it (the MMM forum) was a wealth of information from early on in the investigation as well as postings from people who knew Maura and has firsthand info. It would be nice if it could at least be made available for reading/searching even if it was not open to posting. JMO

Wasn't that forum getting nasty? Maybe the family thought it was getting out of hand? Too bad, we can't at least read the posts for the info.

There are several things that deeply concern me about this entire investigation. The police report is erroneous for one. That I have on good faith. IMO - The construction worker may be the key to this entirely. I don't have the documents but I'm almost certain somewhere along the lines the police or investigators were denied access to search certain areas. I've been attempting to verify this information. Then there is this, which has been bothering me for quite some time.

As written on May 1, 2009 in the Eagle Tribune by James A Kimble

John Healy, a former state trooper, said he and several other private investigators have been working to solve the 2004 disappearance of Maura Murray, a case now believed to be a homicide.
After two searches of a wooded area in Haverhill, N.H., where Murray's car went off the road, searchers found two pieces of possible evidence, he said. That evidence, which Healy wouldn't describe, is now in the hands of the state attorney general's office.

Something is rotten somewhere in this case. One witness is now deceased and the initial officer at the scene has since become the Chief and retired. The construction worker? Who knows? There is very little information available.

One would think at the very least based on the Tribune article and statements made that if the investigation is in fact being treated as a homocide, that good detective work would definitely include requesting the searching of the personal property of the construction worker and possibly any subsequent working sites he had access to. He would need to be eliminated as a potential suspect based soley on the grounds he freely admitted he may have seen Maura.

There are several things that deeply concern me about this entire investigation. The police report is erroneous for one. That I have on good faith. IMO - The construction worker may be the key to this entirely. I don't have the documents but I'm almost certain somewhere along the lines the police or investigators were denied access to search certain areas. I've been attempting to verify this information. Then there is this, which has been bothering me for quite some time.

John Healy, a former state trooper, said he and several other private investigators have been working to solve the 2004 disappearance of Maura Murray, a case now believed to be a homicide.
After two searches of a wooded area in Haverhill, N.H., where Murray's car went off the road, searchers found two pieces of possible evidence, he said. That evidence, which Healy wouldn't describe, is now in the hands of the state attorney general's office.

Something is rotten somewhere in this case. One witness is now deceased and the initial officer at the scene has since become the Chief and retired. The construction worker? Who knows? There is very little information available.

One would think at the very least based on the Tribune article and statements made that if the investigation is in fact being treated as a homocide, that good detective work would definitely include requesting the searching of the personal property of the construction worker and possibly any subsequent working sites he had access to. He would need to be eliminated as a potential suspect based soley on the grounds he freely admitted he may have seen Maura.

Wow! Is that the underwear?

Were the search areas the police were denied access the property of the contractor? He pretty much lived across the street from the bus driver, if I remember correctly, which was on the corner of Bradley Hill Rd. and Rt. 112. The very place Maura's scent stopped when the dogs did their search.

Do you have a link to the article about the 2 pieces of evidence?

I am, and always have been, on the same page as "Search."

When I come to think of it, the construction contractor said he worked until 7pm in Franconia, if I remember correctly. I have limited knowledge on the hours construction contractors work, but it does seem late to me. Maybe he was caught up with the work, but 7pm at night seems much later in the winter time. Possibly, he had a deadline or he was almost finished with a project and just wanted to complete it, so he put in a couple of hours to do that. However, in my limited experience, those guys usually head home around 5pm. I could be wrong, but I have always been suspicious of the time he gave to LE.

He states the case needs special attention.

10 Private investigators working pro bono.

New Hampshire Police investigators on the case too.

All this time has passed. Kind of makes you lose all confidence in the direction and competency of those leading the investigation in the past and present.

All this time has passed. Kind of makes you lose all confidence in the direction and competency of those leading the investigation in the past and present.

BBM - Not much seemed to have come out of their investigation, at least what they will let the public know. Would make for an interesting ID show to learn what the found out, what they think - if it would not comprise the investigation. Then tricky too, lawsuits if anyone is accused...

When I come to think of it, the construction contractor said he worked until 7pm in Franconia, if I remember correctly. I have limited knowledge on the hours construction contractors work, but it does seem late to me. Maybe he was caught up with the work, but 7pm at night seems much later in the winter time. Possibly, he had a deadline or he was almost finished with a project and just wanted to complete it, so he put in a couple of hours to do that. However, in my limited experience, those guys usually head home around 5pm. I could be wrong, but I have always been suspicious of the time he gave to LE.

Wow, if I have evidence possibly related to a case remind me never to come forward, lest someone on the internet be "suspicious" of some detail. This is why the bus driver was so close lipped after a while and I don't blame him, all he tried to do was help and he "followed all the rules" and ended up a suspect by people on the internet.

Search, I've been down this road before in another case -- so much manpower, effort, energy -- but no result. Could it be there is a proverbial elephant in the room about which no one will speak? What do you think?

I have absolutely no sympathy for the Bus Driver at all. He brought it upon himself. The distance he lived from the disabled vehicle was well within eye shot from the end of his property. Great that he stopped to see if a lone female driver involved in a vehicle crash on a February evening was not injured, but, Shame on him for leaving her there alone. The very least he could have done was watched out for her well being until the authorities arrived. I will never understand why he did not do this. Perhaps if he had used better judgement we would not be discussing the whereabouts of Maura today.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the Bus Driver at all. He brought it upon himself. The distance he lived from the disabled vehicle was well within eye shot from the end of his property. Great that he stopped to see if a lone female driver involved in a vehicle crash on a February evening was not injured, but, Shame on him for leaving her there alone. The very least he could have done was watched out for her well being until the authorities arrived. I will never understand why he did not do this. Perhaps if he had used better judgement we would not be discussing the whereabouts of Maura today.

In fairness, he did go home to call the police on his land line phone. He didn't know that a neighbor had also contacted police. Someone had to get help, since a cell phone was useless in that area.

Wow, if I have evidence possibly related to a case remind me never to come forward, lest someone on the internet be "suspicious" of some detail. This is why the bus driver was so close lipped after a while and I don't blame him, all he tried to do was help and he "followed all the rules" and ended up a suspect by people on the internet.

True, but I'm quick to change my mind if evidence comes forward, which is one reason I try to use initials or occupations instead of actual names on these forums.

I don't blame the new investigators. To me, the police should have looked for her right after the accident with some urgency. They had no idea if she was hurt and if she was in her right mind. Plus, she disappeared in a cold, dark national forrest in February. Her car had Massachusetts plates too, which meant she was not a local. They were also seemingly ready to close the books on her disappearance by saying that she may have came up to NH to commit suicide. These new investigators are now trying to work with very little. JMO

Does anyone remember when Fred was contacted about the accident? The Saturn was in his name. IIRC, he should have been contacted a lot sooner about his vehicle being involved in an accident, especially with the info that the driver had disappeared!
I vaguely recall that Maura's sister called Fred about Maura being missing from the accident scene. Maybe, I need to look into this again to be sure.

I think it's very clear that Maura did not want this guy around. The fact is, he "followed the rules" and called the cops despite the fact that Maura didn't even want him to do this. Were I a lone girl out in the middle of nowhere and some big 300 pound guy insisted on "staying with me" I'd be scared as hell, personally. What's funny is if he had been truly callous and just driven by without a care he probably wouldn't have been considered a suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member