OH OH - "The Red Shoe Mystery" - Lola Celli, 24, Grandview Heights, Feb 1946

Was Lola's middle name Ada? If so I found the Ship Manifest from when she came to America from Italy with her family. It was December of 1930 and she was 9 years old. Certainly old enough to remember "home". I wonder if there is any possibility she went back to Italy? Just thinking out loud.

I looked up a couple old articles on this..

Re the "missing neighbor": I don't think he had anything to do with this. I found an article in the Lima News from 4/4/1949 and it said they were seeking the man in Riverside, CA. However, it said he lived in Upper Arlington and Lola lived in Grandview. They are adjacent suburbs so he actually wasn't really a "neighbor" at all. At least in the sense that I think of a neighbor as being next door or across the street or in the same block.

Liz, did this article have the mans name? I read somewhere else that the son was 4 yrs old, but it didn't give any names either. I wrote to the person who wrote the Columbus dispatch 60 yr anniv. article in hopes of getting the guys name, but so far I haven't received an answer.

Liz, did this article have the mans name? I read somewhere else that the son was 4 yrs old, but it didn't give any names either. I wrote to the person who wrote the Columbus dispatch 60 yr anniv. article in hopes of getting the guys name, but so far I haven't received an answer.

No, unfortunately it didn't. I went back and looked again plus I looked to see if there were articles in other papers about it. I only found the same article in 2 newspapers in Lima and Coshocton, Ohio. I also checked California papers searching using Lola Celli's name and checking between 1946 and 1950. It seems this article about the neighbor came out in 1949. With the little press attention given to it, and no real follow-up on it, the more I think it was this guy's ex-wife trying to cause trouble for him. Although the George Brody idea is very interesting too. It's frustrating not to be able to find his name. I'm sure it would be in the police file and hopefully Marilyn can find it when she sees the file.

I may have to postpone my trip to Columbus to look at Lola Celli's file because I am in the midst of researching something else that is taking up a lot of my time. However, I have e-mailed Carol Harper at Grandview Heights Police Department and asked if she could provide me with the name of the "mystery man". She is very busy, so it could take a few days before I hear back from her. In the meantime, I will attempt to track it down through other means and will post whatever I find out.

Was in Columbus over the weekend and I thought about Lola the entire time (I drive my family nuts with this stuff).

Was in Columbus over the weekend and I thought about Lola the entire time (I drive my family nuts with this stuff).

Tell me about it . . . I talk about Lola and Ruth and Judy and Alice, and all of the other missing women I've been researching, as if they're members of my family. I have one "e-mail" friend who shares my interest in these old cases, but other than that, I have to force myself to remember that not everyone shares my fascination. One friend even told me it was "gruesome"!

Received this from the Columbus Dispatch writer today. Hopefully he can help us with his personal records.

Your best source on this will probably be the Grandview Heights Police Department file on the Celli case.
If they understand you have a legitimate reason for your research, they will generally let you look at the file in their conference room.
They’re pretty good about it. In the meantime, I will check my file at home. I have some ancient clippings about the case that I somehow inherited from the late Ned Stout, a writer at the Dispatch. Let me look. Email a phone number where I can reach you.
Kind regards,

Received this from the Columbus Dispatch writer today. Hopefully he can help us with his personal records.

The contact person at the Grandview Heights Police Department is Carol Harper, the detective I have been talking to for the past couple of months. She and I are trying to coordinate our schedules so that we can meet and go over Lola Celli's file. I had hoped for the middle of this month, but that isn't working out, so we're trying for the end of this month or early September.

The contact person at the Grandview Heights Police Department is Carol Harper, the detective I have been talking to for the past couple of months. She and I are trying to coordinate our schedules so that we can meet and go over Lola Celli's file. I had hoped for the middle of this month, but that isn't working out, so we're trying for the end of this month or early September.
I can't wait for you to get to go. Living in NE, it would be a LONG road trip for me...LOL I had asked Mr. Harden about the man and his 4 yr old son that went missing and if he had a name for them. You never know, sometimes those newspaper guys have better records than LE. Lets hope he finds something in his ancient newspaper clippings.

I can't wait for you to get to go. Living in NE, it would be a LONG road trip for me...LOL I had asked Mr. Harden about the man and his 4 yr old son that went missing and if he had a name for them. You never know, sometimes those newspaper guys have better records than LE. Lets hope he finds something in his ancient newspaper clippings.

You are absolutely right about that! I'm glad you got through to Mr. Harden. I e-mailed him many weeks ago and got no reply. I know that Lola's sister and niece think highly of Mr. Harden, because he made every effort to get Lola's story right. Apparently there have been a great many articles written over the years with inaccurate or untrue information, and those articles have caused much pain to the Celli family.

Marilynilpa, Have you made your trip yet? Have any updates for us? I've been patiently waiting!:liar:

Thanks, and let us know.

I feel that Lola got into a car with someone she knew, and that things went very wrong. [/quote]

After reading some of the articles and reading the info you found out, Marilyn, I believe this is the most likely scenario.

I would like to find out more about the neighbor too. It could just be coincidence. This might sound kind of dumb but if the neighbor man disappeared to run off with someone else, he might have chose that particular time so his wife and everyone else would think that maybe it was Lola he ran off with, when in fact it was someone else entirely, you know, to throw everyone off track. It is very odd though that he and his son disappeared at the same time.[/quote]

You might look on the Google Earth site. It will give you some idea of what the area is like. http://earth.google.com/

Marilynilpa, Have you made your trip yet? Have any updates for us? I've been patiently waiting!:liar:

Thanks, and let us know.

Thanks Teresa for bumping this. I wonder what Marilyn found out. She hasn't posted for a long while.

Thanks Teresa for bumping this. I wonder what Marilyn found out. She hasn't posted for a long while.

So sorry I haven't posted lately, but there isn't much to tell. I am still trying to coordinate my schedule with that of Carol Harper, but so far we haven't found a mutually convenient time for me to visit Columbus. She doesn't work weekends, and currently I don't have time during the week to make the trip. I am hoping that shortly after the first of the year, I'll be able to take a couple of weekdays off and go to Columbus.

If I learn anything, I'll post it here. I'm still waiting for Carol to reply to an e-mail regarding the mystery man who was reported to the police by his former wife. I'm hoping she can give me a name, and we could at least do some searching on him.

I finally heard back from Carol Harper of the Grandview Heights Police Department. She is reluctant to give me the name of the man once accused by his ex-wife of being involved in Lola's disappearance. This is part of what she says:

"I found a letter from California that stated that the ex-wife was in a custody battle and may have been using accusations against her
ex to sway the court. They described the male half as upstanding and having no criminal record. They said that he was even well thought of by his ex-in-laws (her parents)."

Of course, we've all heard of situations where fine, upstanding men go on to commit horrendous crimes, but on the face of it, it doesn't appear this guy was involved. However, once I get to see the police file in person, I'll make note of his name and do a little checking on my own.

I'll post more when there's anything new.

I finally heard back from Carol Harper of the Grandview Heights Police Department. She is reluctant to give me the name of the man once accused by his ex-wife of being involved in Lola's disappearance. This is part of what she says:

"I found a letter from California that stated that the ex-wife was in a custody battle and may have been using accusations against her
ex to sway the court. They described the male half as upstanding and having no criminal record. They said that he was even well thought of by his ex-in-laws (her parents)."

Of course, we've all heard of situations where fine, upstanding men go on to commit horrendous crimes, but on the face of it, it doesn't appear this guy was involved. However, once I get to see the police file in person, I'll make note of his name and do a little checking on my own.

I'll post more when there's anything new.

:clap: Thanks Marilynilpa!!

wow,this has got me interested!how come i can't pick up older link's.When do they run out?please help!:blowkiss:

what i mean is it appears that when a link is of a certain age as such you can't bring it up,it comes up as a page not found.I am having this prob with anything that has been there a while.Could it be just on threads that are closed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back