Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 4 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and we know from Venus' parents that Venus did not have possession of the vehicle, but left it in Virginia with DS. It doesn't matter in whose name the vehicle is titled - what matters is where the vehicle was, and who had access to it. I'm unclear on your point - clarification would be appreciated.

To be accurate you need to note that DS was not in possesion of the vehicle when it was found as well (he was not in it, nor was it on his property).

To be accurate you need to note that VS was not in possesion of the vehicle when it was found as well (he was not in it, nor was it on his property).

Since the truck was hers, does anyone know why she did not take it to MI with her? Perhaps it was a simple as DS having the truck when she took off with the kids...but I was wondering.

To be accurate you need to note that VS was not in possesion of the vehicle when it was found as well (he was not in it, nor was it on his property).

One theory I have is that while Venus's father was asleep, someone (perhaps Doug) telephoned Venus to tell her the truck was outside, that it had been delivered so she would have a vehicle.

Venus's father was asleep and does not know for certain, but has merely speculated, that Venus walked to the mailbox to mail a letter.

Since the truck was hers, does anyone know why she did not take it to MI with her? Perhaps it was a simple as DS having the truck when she took off with the kids...but I was wondering.

I also wonder if the truck was paid for. If not, Venus would have had no way to make the payments. I also wonder how she got to Michigan. Did she take the train, Greyhound or fly? Does anyone know?

I read where she took nothing when she left with the children but approximately $1,200.00 she withdrew from a bank account.

Perhaps she didn't want Doug to know she was leaving. Perhaps he had taken the keys away from her. Perhaps she was running for her life. Perhaps she didn't want to have the truck at her folks home because Doug's family and friends could drive by the house and spot it then report it was there, that she was at her parent's home.

But, I will not be surprised if Doug's airtight alibi was provided by two loyal friends who agreed to lie for him, and did just that, before realizing what he had done.

We don't know who these people are, or if there are only two.

Since Monday was a work day and he has a job, the most likely alibi would be that he was at work that day.

If he wasn't at work that day I think he has a problem since any alibi under those circumstances would be a lot softer. Besides from that, he would also need to explain WHY he wasn't at work that day, if that was the case.

Based on how LE was responding initially about the alibi I would guess that there was at least some "arms length" component about it, so IMO it probably was the former rather than the latter. But until/if any info about it is released we can't be sure what exactly it was.

For all we know the alibi may have placed him in the great lakes area on the weekend.

I think that LE calling him a POI is substantial. Venus is not a POI in her own disappearance. Her Dad and Mom are not POI's. Just DS.

It may be fair to speculate some on the timing of the will and the letters to a degree, but seeing as Venus is considered a victim, her children and parents are victims, I think the speculation has to be careful. JMO.

Since it's being brought up by more than one poster, I will address this. I did think Diena Thompson was guilty, and I was wrong. I am often wrong. I am sorry, Diena, if you happen to read this. Somer was a beautiful child and we all grieve her passing.
I do not feel Larry hurt his daughter at all. I was trying to show other scenarios, etc, and went about it the wrong way. Again, I am sorry. I do have hope that Venus is still alive. If she is not, then I hope the guilty party pays dearly and that she is found without delay. I hope all the evidence and possible suspects are looked at closely, without emotion and that justice comes swiftly.

Somer dissappeared on her way home from school, in the company of other kids. It was obvious that Diena had nothing to do with that, it was an everyday and she wasnt at the scene. All the stuff about her was because people were putting her prior life under the microscope, when that had nothing to do with the events of the day.

I think that is common theme in many of these cases, when the prior, alleged or current character of the players becomes the thing that determines common perception of the case, rather than facts and what will be testable in court.

I think that LE calling him a POI is substantial. Venus is not a POI in her own disappearance. Her Dad and Mom are not POI's. Just DS.

It may be fair to speculate some on the timing of the will and the letters to a degree, but seeing as Venus is considered a victim, her children and parents are victims, I think the speculation has to be careful. JMO.

I think it is routine for LE to consider a spouse in a missing person case to be a POI, especially when there are maritial problems. Under those circumstances anyone with a history of conflict with the missing person would be a POI. In this case DS is the only one LE knows about, but that doesn't mean that there are no others who might have been in conflict with VS. LE can only work with the information that is provided to them in that regard.

Keep in mind that a person of interest is not the same as a suspect. A POI is someone LE is investigating for possible involvement, a suspect is someone LE believe or have evidence is involved. The term "POI" was introduced because of critism that "suspect" was damaging to people who later turn out to be innocent.

In VA the residency requirement needed to pursue divorce proceedings is six months.

In MI it is only three months.

Some states have a special stipulation that the persons intending to divorce live separately for a certain amount of time. In VA, this period is a year.

Michigan has no such stipulation.

If Venus was unable to support herself and her girls, in separate accommodation, for an entire year, it makes complete sense for her to relocate to Michigan prior to pursuing a divorce suit.

Oh, and as an aside, Doug would not have had to petition MI courts for an injunction...he could have filed a motion in VA and the judge there would have determined whether or not an injunction was warranted. It couldn't be considered custodial interference until custody arrangements were ordered. Until a court intervenes and sets orders both parents are assumed to have joint custody.

It would have been an injunction ordering the children to return to sort out the custody. Had that happened and she'd not complied there then would have been legal ramifications and it could have hindered her chances at custody in the future.

There is also a difference between physical and legal custody (some states have different terms for these) - physical is the parent the children reside with while legal is the right to decision making, basically, schools, doctors, religion, etc.

The majority of permanent custody orders dictate time shares (e.g with Mom for 12 days, Dad for 11) or a primary custodial parent (e.g. lives with Dad but visits Mom at Mom's house every weekend) and joint legal custody - meaning both parents share a right to the decisions made for the child. Sole physical and legal custody are very difficult to attain since family courts now favor the shared parenting theory.

Even with restraining orders and allegations of abuse - unless the court feels the children are in danger from a parent they assume joint custody is always in the best interest of the child.

Not that I'm a lawyer, mind you...

Just acted like one for my own divorce and relocation case. ;)

http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/virginia.shtml
http://www.divorceroom.com/divorce-laws/virginia-divorce-laws.html
http://www.divorceroom.com/divorce-laws/michigan-divorce-laws.html

Life has gotten in the way of keeping up with this case. Anything new going on ? I would so appreciate it if anyone has the time to give a short synopsis. No arrest yet, huh ?

No arrests.

Were you around when the search warrants were posted?

Since the search warrants, the big news is that Doug has moved back to Michigan, is possibly staying at his father's house, and is transferring to a new job in Michigan within his same company, US Food Services.

Lt. Risko says that LE is going to reeveluate Doug's alibi.

And there was a volunteer search by citizens yesterday, but it doesn't seem that anything of substance was found.

To be accurate you need to note that DS was not in possesion of the vehicle when it was found as well (he was not in it, nor was it on his property).

Since LE says that he was in possession of the vehicles, I'll take their word on it. When I go to Piggly Wiggly, I may not be inside the vehicle and it may not be on my property, but I'm still in possession of it.

If I park my truck in my neighbor's driveway, it doesn't become their vehicle. I'm still in possession of it.

I agree, it may have nothing to do with the case at all - but I have wondered that myself? Just out of curiosity, I guess.

....because I wondered if she ever even got to the mailbox, or if she was on her way back to the house or what?

Something else about the logistics of this case--what was the kidnappers plan: to hang out by the woodpile with the truck parked nearby (visibly so?) until Venus emerged from the home alone?

What if she never came out of the house? How random and fortuitous (from the kidnappers POV) is it that she decided to walk out to the mailbox alone early in the morning? (perhaps she was induced to go mail stuff, but how? by whom?)

What if she comes out with one or both of the kids with her? Or one of her parents with her?

How long were they going to stand by the woodpile with the truck parked nearby and hope to escape detection?

LE has named Venus' estranged husband, Douglas Stewart, as the sole person of interest in this case. We need keep track of, and regularly post, the most recent statements (direct quotes preferred) from LE on this. It's a good thing to do in every case, for those new to the case. Pufnstuf, could I trouble you to track this for us in your excellent timeline/case notes posts?

I have a few things to do, and then I'll be digging for credible source links.

Respectfully snipped...

I'll be glad to. Lt. Risko affirms in nearly every article that Douglas is the sole person of interest. Most recently was this this article:

Investigators are now saying that the estranged husband of a missing St. Joseph County mother is their only person of interest in the case.

snip/

Police initially said that Douglas Stewart's alibi checked out, but now that's being looked at again.

“We are not leaving any stone unturned,” said Lt. Mike Risko, Michigan State Police.

snip/

“Part of his alibi is he was in Virginia,” said Lt. Risko, “but that's not to say, don't know how the receipt got in his vehicle.”

snip/

“When you are asking, why are we not locking this thing up,” said Lt. Risko, “we don't have Venus.”

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376369-bottom-mich.html

So the most recent status from Lt. Risko is that Doug is the only POI in Venus' disappearance and police are looking at his alibi again.

What? I thought DS had refused to answer questions. I thought LE couldn't question someone if they refuse to answer questions. I thought LE couldn't even bring someone in for questioning if they have an attorney and refuse to answer questions.

Once the police arrest anyone, the police can ask questions. The individual under arrest has the right not to answer and the right to have an attorney present during the questioning i.e., "miranda rights"

"The person in custody must, prior to interrogation, be clearly informed that he or she has the right to remain silent, and that anything the person says will be used against that person in court; the person must be clearly informed that he or she has the right to consult with an attorney and to have that attorney present during questioning, and that, if he or she is indigent, an attorney will be provided at no cost to represent her or him."

The standard to arrest someone is pretty low. People are arrested and interrogated every day with far less to implicate than what the police appear to have against this husband. I'm wondering why they have yet to arrest their sole person of interest--in a missing person case, where time is against the police. Like I said, arrest him, book him, take prints and all the rest of the process, sit him in an interrogation room and make it all very real for him. Sure, his lawyer will be there and most likely he doesn't answer any questions. But that doesn't mean they can't make him sit there and listen to their questions and watch his demeanor etc. Who knows, maybe the husband gets cocky and decides to respond to some of their questions. Or maybe the realness of being arrested and questioned in a police station causes him to break down and spill everything.

Since it's being brought up by more than one poster, I will address this. I did think Diena Thompson was guilty, and I was wrong. I am often wrong. I am sorry, Diena, if you happen to read this. Somer was a beautiful child and we all grieve her passing.
I do not feel Larry hurt his daughter at all. I was trying to show other scenarios, etc, and went about it the wrong way. Again, I am sorry. I do have hope that Venus is still alive. If she is not, then I hope the guilty party pays dearly and that she is found without delay. I hope all the evidence and possible suspects are looked at closely, without emotion and that justice comes swiftly.

We have all, at one time or another been wrong with our speculation. And in my experience, putting an unpopular stance into the right words can be difficult. Yes, Somer was a beautiful child. Your apology is heartfelt, thank you! I'm sure mom Diena would agree. :hug: :hug: :hug:

“When you are asking, why are we not locking this thing up,” said Lt. Risko, “we don't have Venus.”
[/B]

That's an odd statement, or an odd way of saying whatever the Lt is trying to say.

But, I will not be surprised if Doug's airtight alibi was provided by two loyal friends who agreed to lie for him, and did just that, before realizing what he had done.

Where are you getting 'two loyal friends'? I couldn't find anything about friends and Doug's alibi. Do you have a source link?

Where are you getting 'two loyal friends'? I couldn't find anything about friends and Doug's alibi. Do you have a source link?

I swear I read somewhere that two friends gave alibis. If none of you have read the same thing, then I am obviously wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288