CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experiences with family members, public defenders do just as good of a job as any other attorney, if not better. They are overworked, but they do a good job, IMO. In fact, there are certain other defendants in criminal cases that we are following here on WS who would be better served by a public defender, rather than a wannabe big shot lawyer (or a legend in his own mind, yes, I am thinking of Jose Baez!). JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

I think it's only going to be a few days or weeks before Montoya is charged with Kayleah's murder. IMO

Where does the money come from to pay the public defenders? It comes from the county. If every single public defender told their clients to stick to their guns and demand a jury trial, the counties would go broke.

I reviewed thousands of cases in our county and kept a tally of each case and only 5% of the defendants who had public defenders stuck to their guns and demanded a jury trial whereas 95% plead no contest when offered reduced charges.

If Montoya has a public defender, this is good! Regardless of what they are portrayed as, public defenders are employed by the county and work for the county and their assignment is to rush the cases through as fast as they can so the county makes more money off the fines and doesn't get clogged up with casses. Their main goal is to get the clients to plead no contest to the charges.

A public defender who repeatedly ties the court up with lengthy trials won't have a job long!

(This is just my opinion, one that I arrived at by reviewing thousands of cases filed in Butte County, California which are available online for viewing and research.)

I reviewed thousands of cases in our county and kept a tally of each case and only 5% of the defendants who had public defenders stuck to their guns and demanded a jury trial whereas 95% plead no contest when offered reduced charges.

There is a big difference between a public defenders main job being to get the defendent to plead no contest and a track record of 95% pleading no contest when offered reduced charges. I would also believe that depends on the type of crime as well as to whether reduced charges would be offered.

JMO

Thank you. I'm gathering information in one place and this confirms what I'd read before.

Does anyone know why this source says her date of death was May 17?

IIRC, she was found on Wednesday, May 19, and her remains officially identified on Thursday, May 20.

You are right it was May 19. This same obit earlier on had two different birth dates. I just think it is their mistake and them being careless.

Was May 17 the date listed in official obituary? That is odd...as would be May 19, as that was the date RM was arrested, IIRC, and a defense lawyer might jump on that to say his client was in custody...but I guess they have to have some date to use...I think it was 3/28 personally...

I was wondering about RM family. Does he have one? We have not seen them standing by him, usually they come out in support the family member.

Was May 17 the date listed in official obituary? That is odd...as would be May 19, as that was the date RM was arrested, IIRC, and a defense lawyer might jump on that to say his client was in custody...but I guess they have to have some date to use...I think it was 3/28 personally...

When Kayleah's body was discovered on Wednesday,

Kayleah was found May 19.

Robert Laurencio Montoya was arrested on Wednesday but his arrest wasn't announced until Friday afternoon. Montoya is 18, Kayleah was 12.

May 19 as well.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23635628/detail.html

Where does the money come from to pay the public defenders? It comes from the county. If every single public defender told their clients to stick to their guns and demand a jury trial, the counties would go broke.

I know perfectly well where the money comes from, thank you very much. I am not an idiot. I was just pointing out that in my experiences with my own family, the public defenders they had did a good job. I wasn't trying to incite a fight.

And the only reason that I said that public defenders in general do a good job is because it means Montoya will get a fair shake whether he pleads out or goes to trial. I could care less that you have reviewed thousands of cases, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was attempting to make, and absolutely nothing to do with Kayleah.

Back to topic which is a twelve year old child who has died way too soon.

The Greeley Trib, which patted itself on the back over the weekend for not trying to be "first" in naming the body found as Kayelah's, continues to refer to RM in headlines as "Kayleah's boyfriend"...so much for integrity vs. sensationalism...IMO

The Greeley Trib, which patted itself on the back over the weekend for not trying to be "first" in naming the body found as Kayelah's, continues to refer to RM in headlines as "Kayleah's boyfriend"...so much for integrity vs. sensationalism...IMO

I'll bet RSO's and pedophiles love the Trib for using the term "boyfriend". Their subscriptions will probably go up from this predator pack and go down for everyone who cares about children.

It is strange, IMO, that we have heard nothing about RM; whether he lived with a parent or parents, has siblings, etc...no one even seems sure about his schooling or employment. I would think that if he had family members behind him, his attorney would want that known. Does anyone know if the arrest warrant shows a home address? Did he live in the apartment complex?

I've unapproved and edited some posts which started being geared to commenting on the perps race. Let's not go down that road please. A crime is a crime...... No point in going off into the racial profiling or racial comments.

If you see a questionable post, please use the alert button rather than reply to it. All replying does is create additional work for the mods.

Thank you!

Cubby
(mod)

It is strange, IMO, that we have heard nothing about RM; whether he lived with a parent or parents, has siblings, etc...no one even seems sure about his schooling or employment. I would think that if he had family members behind him, his attorney would want that known. Does anyone know if the arrest warrant shows a home address? Did he live in the apartment complex?

Tiny bit of school info:

Montoya was a student at Greeley West High School from January 2008 to August 2009, but he is not currently enrolled. District 6 officials declined to release other information about him, citing student privacy laws.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100525/NEWS/100529788/1051&ParentProfile=1001

Several hundred say their good-byes to Kayleah
Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Children in black, carrying flowers. That's how they came into the warm room in the downtown hotel, to say good-bye to Kayleah.

Children in laps, pre-teens, teens, and white haired grandmas were there. More than 400 standing-room-only to say good-bye to 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson, who disappeared March 28 in Greeley. Her body was found last week. Although the body hasn't been released by the police, there was a memorial service today at the Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, formerly known as the Clarion Hotel.

Her mother, April Wilson, spoke to the 400 people thanking everyone who helped, “people I know and don't know. Thank you for keeping her name out there. She's safe now.”

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100525/NEWS/100529783/1051&ParentProfile=1001

In tearful service, family remembers 12-year-old Colorado girl found dead in irrigation ditch
Associated Press
Last update: May 25, 2010 - 4:32 PM

A 12-year-old Colorado girl missing for seven weeks before she was found dead near her home was remembered as a girl who loved to laugh, and dreamed of becoming a veterinarian and visiting Ireland.

Tuesday's memorial in Greeley for Kayleah Wilson drew about 400 mourners. The girl's mother, April Wilson, thanked neighbors who helped search after Kayleah vanished March 28 on her way to a friend's birthday party.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/94867844.html

Kayleah Wilson's death "just doesn't make sense" mourners say

POSTED: 05/25/2010 02:27:30 PM MDT
UPDATED: 05/25/2010 04:05:17 PM MDT

Mourners Tuesday tried to understand why anyone would kill 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson, who loved Ireland and snowball fights and who wanted peace and forgiveness in the world.

"This just doesn't make sense," said Pastor Arron Chambers of Journey Christian Church. "She should be outside laughing with her friends and enjoying this beautiful day.

"She should have made it to that birthday party," Chambers said during a memorial service for Kayleah held today in downtown Greeley.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15159158?source=rss

Rest in peace, Kayleah.

The 18-year-old man accused of having a sexual relationship with her is due back in court next month.
Robert Laurencio Montoya waived a hearing Tuesday to reduce his $100,000 bond. A judge set his next court date for June 15.

Greeley police have not named Montoya as a suspect in her disappearance or death. Montoya's attorney and a woman at Montoya's home declined to comment Tuesday.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15159158?source=rss

Not sure if the woman at his home is family but seems likely. This is the first mention I have seen about a personal side to Montoya. JMO

Wow, so it seems he was graduating this year? And yet the school did not seem to want to claim him at all, if they said he was enrolled through last year...wonder which is true...(or if bad reporting, would not be a first)

Whoever his family is, I feel badly for them as well as for Kayleah's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆