GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is unfortunate that she has become a caricature in the press since she became a murder victim. She became the pretty, angelic, pink wearing blonde law graduate that had her short life snuffed out.

I do think she was probably much more than that, she was bright, she was driven, she had a desire to become an attorney defending capital offenders (regardless of whether they were guilty or innocent, she could have looked them in the eye and defended them even if she KNEW they were guilty).

She was likely a complicated real person and not a caricature at all.

bbm: I think your last line likely sums up the truth; but really, I think most who have grown to admire Lauren -- as a real, honest-to-goodness person with strengths and quirks and deep thoughts and lots of pink clothes -- realize that. Maybe some come away from one isolated media report with a caricature-image of her, sure -- but I think, overall, there is a lot of information out there showing that she was probably a complex person -- a bubblier complex person than some complex persons are, perhaps, but complex, just the same.

Can anyone recall exactly what field of law Lauren planned to enter into? If I recall, it was criminal defense work, which is why one of her law graduate friends said something akin to "Lauren could even talk to normal people and tell them they would have to face some jail time".

Since this is a memorial thread perhaps we should all reflect on Lauren Giddings future profession and wonder how she would have viewed the various debates that go on here? If she did indeed plan to go into criminal defense I would think such a bright woman would analyze every angle and be quite logical when it came down to real evidence or lack thereof.

Lauren and I have similar philosophical, political, educational and religious backgrounds. I'm not so brazen or depthless as to assume she'd agree with me on everything, but I do think that having the same ideology makes it easier for people to understand and predict reactions.

I think she'd approve.

attachment.php
"I love my butterbean!"

Here ya go, Tomkat.

What a great picture.

Signing out for a bit, folks. The (corrected) schedule for the remainder of the vigil is below -- and I'll still be glad to add any sign-ups!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCHEDULE for remaining vigil days - (times are Eastern zone)

Wed., June 27
Backwoods: 1 a.m. - 2 a.m.
bessie: as available after 7:30 p.m.
Backwoods: 9:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.

Thurs., June 28
Backwoods: 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Fri., June 29
pearl: midnight - 2 a.m.
Backwoods: 1 a.m. - 3 a.m.

Sat., June 30 (ending at noon)
Backwoods: 10 a.m. - noon

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

MEMORY VIGIL for LAUREN

12 noon June 25 until 12 noon June 30

th_f8b3370f.gif

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

The idea is to keep at least one person here on Lauren's thread as many hours as possible during the one-year anniversary of those days when Lauren was missing but no one realized it yet -- kind of like being here "with her" during that time.

th_f8b3370f.gif

:grouphug:

During the vigil, please remember to post your photos, anecdotes, quotes,
and your own thoughts to celebrate Lauren!

Keeping watch for Lauren.
Late because I went to sleep and forgot to set the alarm.

Keeping watch for Lauren.
Late because I went to sleep and forgot to set the alarm.

pearl, I think we may have miscommunicated. You said the 26 and 28, so I had you down for Tuesday and Thursday midnight to 2 -- but I bet you meant today (Wednesday, technically) right? I think maybe the midnight start time confused us...? I probably had your earlier "day" down wrong as well. I apologize!

ETA: Now I've totally confused myself, LOL. Let me know how to straighten things out, when you get a chance.
ETA: All cleared up now (I think!) Schedule above corrected.

Not the greatest presentation and not much "new" at the link below, IMO -- and also, lots of typos! -- but in the interest of keeping the thread up with local Macon coverage, I'm posting it:
McDaniel's Lawyer Recaps Steps in the Giddings Murder Case

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...dings-Murder-Case--160445765.html?skipthumb=Y

ETA: Having just watched it, I'll say that the video version at the link is a little more palatable than the print version I first viewed. (And it is television, after all!)

Bumping for Lauren's vigil.

Wednesday early-comers to this thread, if you don't know about our ongoing Memory Vigil for Lauren, just look through the thread for info notices -- and welcome!

bumping for Lauren and her vigil -- see first page of this thread for details.

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

MEMORY VIGIL for LAUREN

12 noon June 25 until 12 noon June 30

th_f8b3370f.gif

th_f8b3370f.gif
th_f8b3370f.gif

The idea is to keep at least one person here on Lauren's thread as many hours as possible during the one-year anniversary of those days when Lauren was missing but no one realized it yet -- kind of like being here "with her" during that time.

th_f8b3370f.gif

:grouphug:​

I've been wanting to post the following item from a Mercer publication but have hesitated because it has nothing to do with Lauren, really, except that there is a Mercer connection (not the law school, though) and when I first found this, I thought that Lauren, had she still been living, might have thought the lady remembered in the article was a pretty cool person with whom to share an academic tie! I know that I was always intrigued by this woman's story, when I'd hear a little something about her in the media during the time she was still living -- and practicing, up until the age of 103!

Maybe Leila and Lauren have gotten together in the hereafter, by this point, to have a good talk!
RIP, Leila and Lauren

I also thought Lauren's vigil might be an acceptable time to post this, if I was going to, in case some come to "sit" on Lauren's thread and need extra reading material. (I just don't have a lot of items directly related to Lauren to post that have not already been shared.)

This item will also give a link to a Mercer publication that could be helpful at some point to a Websleuther.

(So -- there's my excuses for posting something off-topic!)

Mercer’s oldest alumnae dies at 114

http://mercercluster.com/?p=7882

Thinking of Lauren. I'll be here tomorrow morning, Backwoods. I'm working at home so I'll sign in from 10am til 2 or 3.

Thinking of Lauren. I'll be here tomorrow morning, Backwoods. I'm working at home so I'll sign in from 10am til 2 or 3.

Thanks, 3doglady -- I will add you to the schedule next time I re-post it!

I've been wanting to post the following item from a Mercer publication but have hesitated because it has nothing to do with Lauren, really, except that there is a Mercer connection (not the law school, though) and when I first found this, I thought that Lauren, had she still been living, might have thought the lady remembered in the article was a pretty cool person with whom to share an academic tie! I know that I was always intrigued by this woman's story, when I'd hear a little something about her in the media during the time she was still living -- and practicing, up until the age of 103!

Maybe Leila and Lauren have gotten together in the hereafter, by this point, to have a good talk!
RIP, Leila and Lauren

I also thought Lauren's vigil might be an acceptable time to post this, if I was going to, in case some come to "sit" on Lauren's thread and need extra reading material. (I just don't have a lot of items directly related to Lauren to post that have not already been shared.)

This item will also give a link to a Mercer publication that could be helpful at some point to a Websleuther.

(So -- there's my excuses for posting something off-topic!)

Mercer’s oldest alumnae dies at 114

http://mercercluster.com/?p=7882

My sister-in-law has relatives that took their children to Dr. Denmark in the 1980s. I first leaned of Dr. Denmark from her.

This thread means so much. Thank you, Backwoods, for starting it.
The time when people are missing- before anyone knows they are gone- is such a profound time.

It should be recognized so much more often.

Here for you, Lauren- Christy, family, friends, Butterbean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam