NJ - Sean Goldman: Abducted and living in Brazil UPDATE: Coming Home

It's all over Twitter now that the Brazilian family is preparing for a peaceful handover of the child. (Just how long will the 'preparations' take, is what I'd like to know.)

And, to those of you who haven't read it, David has already stated he will not do to Sean's Brazilian family what they have done to him - he will not deny them from visiting Sean.

I would think it would take awhile. Packing up from 5 years of living would not be quick. And they probably won't try to hurry. JMO
Does anyone know what time it is in Brazil?

Snipped from, Brazilian Family Will Not Appeal Goldman Ruling

Silvana Bianchi, Sean's maternal grandmother, had written an open letter to Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva just hours before the Tuesday ruling, in which she said cultural differences and international pressure were driving the case.

"Our moral foundation values the mother's role. In the absence of the mother, the raising should be done by the grandmother," she wrote. "That's how it's done in Brazil, from north to south, regardless of race, religion or social class. It's natural that foreigners, with a different foundation, would not understand these authentically Brazilian feelings."

Silva has said he would not intervene in the case, that it was purely a matter for Brazil's legal system.

(That goes to show the maternal grandmother's role in attempting to keep Sean from his bio-dad!) Personally, I think the President Lula (aka Silva) should have intervened or at least opined that the child should be returned to the U.S. according to the Hague Treaty.

Another snippet:

During a teleconference with U.S. journalists late Tuesday, Smith said law enforcement was on guard in case the Brazilian family did not transfer Sean. He said the international police agency Interpol had been notified to make sure Sean was not flown out of Brazil.

Let's get it on, Grandma Silvana ... hand your grandson over to his father, in a civilized and gracious manner!

I would think it would take awhile. Packing up from 5 years of living would not be quick. And they probably won't try to hurry. JMO

2:34 pm Brazil is 4 hours ahead of Central time zone.

I'm pretty sure Brazil has several time zones. But the time where Sean is:

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rio de Janeiro is capital of the state Rio de Janeiro
The native name of Brazil is Brasil
Current Time Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 2:34:21 PM

Silvana Bianchi, Sean's maternal grandmother, had written an open letter to Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva just hours before the Tuesday ruling, in which she said cultural differences and international pressure were driving the case.

"Our moral foundation values the mother's role. In the absence of the mother, the raising should be done by the grandmother," she wrote. "That's how it's done in Brazil, from north to south, regardless of race, religion or social class. It's natural that foreigners, with a different foundation, would not understand these authentically Brazilian feelings."

Silva has said he would not intervene in the case, that it was purely a matter for Brazil's legal system.

(That goes to show the maternal grandmother's role in attempting to keep Sean from his bio-dad!) Personally, I think the President Lula (aka Silva) should have intervened or at least opined that the child should be returned to the U.S. according to the Hague Treaty.

Another snippet:

During a teleconference with U.S. journalists late Tuesday, Smith said law enforcement was on guard in case the Brazilian family did not transfer Sean. He said the international police agency Interpol had been notified to make sure Sean was not flown out of Brazil.

Let's get it on, Grandma Silvana ... hand your grandson over to his father, in a civilized and gracious manner!

Whatever moral foundation Brazil has, I presume it also has legal child custody foundation. In US, biological parents have priority over anyone else in child custody cases. Is it the same in Brazil?

It's all over Twitter now that the Brazilian family is preparing for a peaceful handover of the child. (Just how long will the 'preparations' take, is what I'd like to know.)

And, to those of you who haven't read it, David has already stated he will not do to Sean's Brazilian family what they have done to him - he will not deny them from visiting Sean.

Truthfully, I never thought David would deny his son his Brazilian family. Just something about the man that does not project that kind of vindictive nature. He always came across as rightfully frustrated and angry[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT] but not [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]wanting [/FONT]to recreate their hateful behavior. He seems like a really decent guy[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] that truly loves his son. [/FONT]

Once the public curiosity has settled, I hope and pray the media will leave them alone and let this father and son rediscover their relationship and bond without the glare of public scrutiny.

Whatever moral foundation Brazil has, I presume it also has legal child custody foundation. In US, biological parents have priority over anyone else in child custody cases. Is it the same in Brazil?

If they do, it doesn't appear it's being adhered to. From what I understand, there are 50-60 other American children that are being held (illegally) in Brazil. This issue needs to be addressed next, imo!

I hope that Senator Lautenberg's amendment blocking trade benefits to Brazil is kept in place until we get all of our American children back here where they belong. That benefit is worth about $2.75 Billion to Brazil and frankly, I don't think they deserve it! (Presently, the U.S. needs that money more than they do!)

Liz - thank you for all the twitter updates! I know nothing about twitter - I'm just getting comfortable with text messages :)

I am just waiting to hear that David and Sean are in the air. I hope this grandmother does what she can to make this easier for Sean. My prayers are with him and his dad today that their trip starts soon, it is safe, and they are reunited with their loved ones in the US!

Salem

Liz - I believe Senator Lautenberg's amendment was unblocked directly after the Court decision came out yesterday and the trade benefits package was unanimously (sp?) approved.

Salem

I'll see if I can find a link.

Another snippet:

I doubt this is so much the "Brazilian way" as it is "Silvana Bianchi's way." She isn't the first person to put all other people's concerns aside when they want (demand) something. The more this woman speaks, the more I really dislike her. Odd, up until these last days it has been the stepfather that was the central person wanting to keep Sean in Brazil.

I do pity David trying to keep any kind of civil relationship with this woman and the Brazilian family with this kind of hostility toward "foreigners." Hey, lady -- the kid is one-half citizen of the United States of America. Get used to it.

I pray that David and Sean will be back on US soil for Christmas. What a wonderful ending to an absolutely hideous story. Sean's grandparents here in the US as well as his Aunts Uncles and Cousins are all waiting to welcome him home. The Brazilian family is not Sean's only family and I'm sure his family here in the US loves this boy just as much as the Brazilian family does.
Peace be yours David...it's over and your son is coming home!

Liz - I believe Senator Lautenberg's amendment was unblocked directly after the Court decision came out yesterday and the trade benefits package was unanimously (sp?) approved.

Salem

I'll see if I can find a link.

Thanks, Salem. I don't see why we are always the ones giving other countries (that don't give a damn about us) all these freebie type benefits (that cost us, U.S. taxpayers); all while they screw us over by taxing and placing tariffs on our exports to them! :crazy: :usa:

Thanks, Salem. I don't see why we are always the ones giving other countries (that don't give a damn about us) all these freebie type benefits (that cost us, U.S. taxpayers); all while they screw us over by taxing and placing tariffs on our exports to them! :crazy: :usa:

Well Liz - I can't find a link now :waitasec: Maybe I dreamt it?

And I agree about giving all this stuff away, especially now when our economy is in the dumps and you can't buy anything that isn't made in China hardly :(

Salem

ETA: Here's the link: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hpCKihrmRmG9-GdaWeaqf0IE91HwD9COP5VO0

I knew I remembered being disappointed that the Senator did NOT wait until Sean and David were on their way home.

Snipped from, Brazilian Family Concedes Defeat: Sean Goldman Home by Christmas?

"There comes a time when you have to say the war is over," Sergio Tostes, lawyer for Sean's stepfather Jo�o Paulo Lins e Silva, told TIME. "We could appeal but that would only prolong the suffering. We don't want to prolong this any more."

Tostes said he was speaking with representatives from the office of Brazil's Attorney General to make the practical arrangements for handing over the boy. The AG's office is the plaintiff in the case, and the legally proper authority to decide where and when Sean would be returned to his father, Tostes said. He expected the handover to happen on Christmas Eve at the earliest, and added he was working to make the boy's transition "as smooth as possible."
--> More at link

May God bless David at this time, and give him the wherewithal to handle the handover situation in a manner that is most comforting to Sean.

And, a big thanks to U.S. Rep Chris Smith for all he's done to help David in his plight to regain custody of his son! Rep Smith rocks!

They are gonna stretch out that 48 hours just as long as they can, huh? Darn. I was hoping the Brazilian family would be more compassionate towards Sean.

Salem

Fox News Now .... U.S. Rep Chris Smith is on the phone with them.

ETA: I believe he (Smith) said Sean's Brazilian family is trying to stretch this out until tomorrow. Smith said that the hand over will probably be done in a neutral place, such as the U.S. Embassy in Rio. Smith was asked if there would be any last minute hold ups and Smith doesn't think so, but he says with the money, clout, and hutzpah (sp?) of the Brazilian family, anything IS possible.

Here is a link to Sean's grandmother's letter to Brazil's President Lula:

Taking Sean from his Family and Little Sister on Christmas Eve Is Inhumane
Written by Silvana Bianchi
Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Dear President Lula, my name is Silvana Bianchi, I am Brazilian, I'm 60 years old and worked all my life. Along with my husband Raimundo Carneiro Ribeiro I raised my two children teaching them to, above all, love this country. --> more at link

http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/11602/1/

I think her letter is self-serving, to say the least. (Check out the comments, too!)

What's "inhumane" was in keeping this boy from his birth father who obviously adores, loves and wants his son beyond anything else...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back