NJ - 2 rabbis, 8 others jailed in NJ, NY divorce sting

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ap-2_rabbis_among_4_charged_in_fbi_divorce-ap

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Two orthodox rabbis and eight other men were arrested in an FBI sting in New Jersey and New York on charges they plotted to kidnap and torture a man to force him to grant a religious divorce.

Rabbis Mendel Epstein and Martin Wolmark charged Jewish women and their families thousands of dollars to obtain religious divorces, known as "gets," from unwilling husbands, the FBI said.........

"It's a very complex case. The government says it's all about money, but I don't think that's quite right," Agnifilo said after the hearing, calling coercion and even violence to get husbands to grant religious divorces "an old tradition."........

The FBI said the price was more than $50,000 and a prosecutor said at Thursday's hearing that the organization involved in the alleged plot had been involved in up to 20 kidnappings over the years.......

"Basically what we are going to be doing is kidnapping a guy for a couple of hours and beating him up and torturing him and then getting him to give the get," Epstein is quoted as saying during the conversation, which was videotaped.

Epstein is also quoted saying he wanted to use a cattle prod to torture the reluctant husband........more.......

It's like the Orthodox Jewish version of the Sopranos. They're just roughing the guys up a little.

Reader - I love love love your avatar!

I'm scared at the mixing of religion, love and crime.

Very happy these "rabies" got caught and I hope they are harshly punished.

I'm scared at the mixing of religion, love and crime.

Very happy these "rabies" got caught and I hope they are harshly punished.
These rabbis are a disgrace to Judaism!!!

I had a civil divorce in 2008 but sought a Gett before I remarried this past June 2013.

It was one of the most incredibly interesting of Jewish rituals I have ever learned about, ancient and vitally important to women who need them. In extra orthodox communities and ancient times not giving the wife the get - is- a form of abuse. The laws and blessings and the rituals of the get were absolutely fascinating!!!!!!Thankfully my ex was no problem - said yes, and my interest in having the ritual law enacted was purely a spiritual one.
I have to admit I kind of wish I could send on those guys over to visit him any way. JK
Just kidding. :-X

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back