TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if any of the other "accused" will take the stand in their own behalf, to explain how they innocently became involved?

Convict themselves by the very words out of their own mouths.. makes it easy for the jurors. :woohoo: Great jury!

Because there was no "guilty" verdict, guilty of facilitation only, not actual felony murder...

I assume that although only the Christians will speak in the Death Penalty phase that both Christians and Newsomes will speak prior to the judge making the actually sentencing.

Wonder if any of the other "accused" will take the stand in their own behalf, to explain how they innocently became involved?

Convict themselves by the very words out of their own mouths.. makes it easy for the jurors. :woohoo: Great jury!

Let's hope they are that stupid, although, unfortunately, they probably aren't.

Kudos to the prosecution and the ME. I thought both prosecuting attorneys and the ME were very good and probably had the case won without Cobbins. The ME spoke directly to the jury without condescention or techspeak, and she utterly refused to become a defense witness. Cobbin's roasted his own goose, but it might have already been cooked.

All these perps blame each other while claiming they really didn't do much. I still think they should have tried them all together. It seems to me there's a chance that they all might be convicted of 1st degree for Channon but that none of them may be convicted of 1st degree for Chris with separate trials. If they were tried together, maybe all, but at least one would more probably go down for Chris too. Guess we'll see. MO, you carjack someone and make them helpless, you are culpable for whatever happens after that, whether you actually penetrated a particular orafice, pulled the trigger or not, but a lot of people today are unwilling to assess blame using that standard. As long as these people go down for at least one 1st degree, though, that should be enough to keep them off the streets forever, even if they don't get the DP...barring new laws which define 'life' as 20 years or a natural disaster or prison break that frees them.

Since people were asking - here's what I found when I googled:
Vanessa Coleman's trial date has been set for August 10.

Lemaricus Davidson's trial date is set for September 21.

George Thomas will go to trial December 2.

Since August 10th has passed, I guess her court date will be later... I'll try and see if I can find something on that!

okay - found this on an article from June 11, 2009...
Cobbins had been set to stand trial on July 6 and Coleman on Aug. 10. Cobbins now will be tried Aug. 12. A new date for Coleman hasn't been determined.

The judge's order does not delay trials for alleged ringleader Lemaricus Davidson or suspect George Thomas.

So I guess no trial date yet for Vanessa...

Anyone know when Coleman's trial starts? I do not want to miss it. I feel she is lower than all of them. she sould've helped channon. I also believe she was invovled more than what she has said.

She should have gone state's evidence. Now, I think she'll do major jail and maybe even be convicted of 1st degree. Do y'all think she had some bad legal advise...or just refused to testify against Cobbins, her one-time sqeeze?

She probably has the best chance of getting through without death or life in jail but why wouldn't she co-operate for a lighter sentence? She should have been beggin' them to take a plea.

I have gone over the original statements of both Vanessa and Slim and compared them to Rome’s testimony. (Sorry about using their street names, it just made it easier for me since they refer to each other as such). Here is my theory about the actual carjacking and getting to the house on Chipman Street.

I think that G, Slim, and Rome walked to Rhonda’s house and met E (Eric Boyd) there. They left there and went to the Apartments. E was driving, Slim in the front, and Rome and G in the back.

I think this because they left walking and would have needed a ride. I believe Rome’s story on that part. I think they went there with the intentions of carjacking someone. I think once they saw Channon and Chris, Rome, Slim and G forced Channon and Chris in the car and E drove his own car away. I don’t think E came back to the Chipman Street house at that point. (not sure about later on but not at that point)

I think Slim was driving the SUV, Rome in the front and G in the back with Chris and Channon. I think they did tie them up at that point, perhaps with shoestrings. Vanessa states when they came back this is the order of how they were sitting in the vehicle. She does not place E there because he wasn’t. He had left in his own car at the scene.

She has no reason to cover for him, he was Slim’s friend not theirs. I think Rome put E at the Chipman Street house because he lied regarding the way it went down. To lesson his involvement he stated it was E, Slim and that got out and carjacked Channon and Chris and got in the SUV. That leaves him driving E’s car back and puts E in the SUV. Therefore in his story, E had to come back to Chipman Street. He also stated that G stayed at the house with Vanessa and he came back and tells them they have to leave fast, that he didnt want any part of it. Not sure why he lied about G staying back except maybe to cover for him because they were friends. However, Vanessa states they all left together.

On the stand he states Slim led Channon in and E led Chris in. Vanessa does not put E at the house and has no reason to lie about that part. She states Rome and G came in first, then Slim came in with Channon. Chris did not come in. I believe this part. I do not think Chris ever entered the house. I think once again Rome perjured himself because he had placed E at the house. He stated Slim brought Channon in and E brought in Chris. He states they brought them into the sunroom and that Slim gave E the look and E left back out the door with Chris. Why would they even take the chance of bringing Chris inside only to turn around and take him back out? Makes no sense.

In statements made by all three (Vanessa, Slim and Rome) Channon was brought in wearing a hoodie that they had put on her and pulled over her head. However, in Vanessa and Slim’s statements Channon was not tied up at that point. In Rome’s statements made on the stand he states she was tied with hands in front of her, Chris’ hands behind him. I believe this was how they were in the vehicle and Rome knew this because he was in the vehicle.

However, I believe that once they got to the house they decided that Channon should not be seen going into the house, therefore they put the hoodie on her. To do this, her hands would have to be untied in order to put the hoodie on. Therefore, I believe the accounts of both Vanessa and Slim regarding that when she came in her hands were untied. Rome perjured himself on these accounts I am sure.

I am so glad the jury got the verdict right! I feel so bad for the families of the victims. I hope the jury gives this perp the DP, however, the DP is way too good for any of these defendants. They deserve to be tortured to death slowly and in the most painful ways imaginable. :behindbarJMO.

Thanks SuziQ and everyone else who worked hard to keep us updated on the trial! Your hard work is most greatly appreciated!:blowkiss:

This one is a heartbreaker from kentucky. Wednesday morning, victim impact statements from family members. Still 3 more defendants to go on trial. Not for the faint of heart....Not getting much media attention, and I cant understand why..................

http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

How much will this jury's belief that Cobbins wasn't calling shots play in their punishment choice?

We may today hear from Cobbins relatives

Today is death phase of Letalvis Cobbins' trial. Follow me for up to minute coverage

Does anyone know what time the live feed will be up. Actually it's up now but they're showing the Today show.

I have a dr's appt at 9:15 and I'm hoping I won't miss it.

Good morning everyone!

The hearing is scheduled to start in 15 minutes.

http://twitter.com/wbirymartinez

Clark had to pull out of the case because of the toll of his terminal cancer. Judge Liebowitz said he was an excellent trial lawyer

Rick Clark who was one of the first defense attorneys appointed by the court to represent Letalvis Cobbins has died of cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa