GUILTY VA - Yeardley Love, 22, UVA student, beaten to death, Charlottesville, May 2010 *civil trial 2022*

While it is quite possible that she had some type of a closed head injury....the swollen eye, a bloody nose and bruises would not be alone indicative of a cause of death. When someone is simply "passed out" from alcohol, they can be at least partially roused as opposed to someone who is completely unresponsive from an alcohol poisoning situation. It just appears from their assumption initially, that the room mates must have KNOWN that she was quite intoxicated earlier in the evening. None of that would excuse a beating of any kind, of course, but until a cause of death has been determined, there is no proof of murder....assault for sure, attempted murder, maybe. Anyway, my original post was basically a question....has the ME yet released a COD??? Actually, the fact that the eye was swollen means that she was alive for a period of time AFTER she was hit, as does the bruising.

jmoo

It was also reported that the blood was found on her pillow. So what exactly does it prove if she were alive for a period after she was hit? With a head injury someone can be alive for a period after the injury and then die.
Could be hours after the injury.
And I disagree that her roommates "must have known she was quite intoxicated."
If they found her unresponsive they could have assumed it was because she were drunk without knowing anything of the sort.

It was also reported that the blood was found on her pillow. So what exactly does it prove if she were alive for a period after she was hit? With a head injury someone can be alive for a period after the injury and then die.
Could be hours after the injury.

Being found face down and unconscious in a pillow could actually indicate that the cause of death could be suffocation. The point here is not to indicate that GH is not responsible for the death, just that the actual cause of death will determine the level of charges. It is a matter of legal technicalities, and quite possibly is already known by authorities, just not a matter of public record. As a medical professional, I am well aware that a person with a closed head injury can die after even an extended passage of time. How long she was alive and the actual cause of death can prove quite a lot, and will most likely be the crux of this case.

jmoo

Being found face down and unconscious in a pillow could actually indicate that the cause of death could be suffocation. The point here is not to indicate that GH is not responsible for the death, just that the actual cause of death will determine the level of charges. It is a matter of legal technicalities, and quite possibly is already known by authorities, just not a matter of public record. As a medical professional, I am well aware that a person with a closed head injury can die after even an extended passage of time. How long she was alive and the actual cause of death can prove quite a lot, and will most likely be the crux of this case.

jmoo

Let me just put it this way.
He didn't call 911 after this supposed "accident." Instead he allegedly took her computer with their "communications" with him. So what does it tell you?

He didn't call 911 after this supposed "accident." So what does it tell you?

That is all irrelevant to my point....I am not even remotely referring to what his attorney said, or what GH did or did not do after the fact. The point of my posts is to ask whether a cause of death has been published, and to point out that there are multiple possibilities as to what that might be when it is released.

George Huguely can say to his #1 ranked lacrosse team before NCAA Div 1 tournament, I screw up by doing stupid decision that affects everyone from both families, friends, teammates, coaches, lacrosse program and school leaders. There are plenty of women available everywhere in case he failed the relationship with the victim. It's not that hard.

I hope cause of death is released soon but obviousl she was alive when he beat her...so she had not overdosed on alcohol or anything else at that point and we do not know that she had anything in her system. Her roommate may have jumped to a conclusion without knowing anything at all other than that Yeardley was not responsive and in college, sadly, that is often due to drugs or alcohol, certainly more often than murder. But it will easy for ME to determine if head injuries caused her death and then it won't matter. Then the lawyers can argue about intent, but I have a feeling that the computer issues will hurt him more than the confession, if there are threats there. So throw out confession, hypothetically, and we have a girl beaten to death and an ex-BF sending threats (possibly)-still a pretty good case for prosecution IMO.

Just saw this on the news and I'm paraphrasing.

The officer from his previous arrested said HG was out of control and used color statements such as "I'll kill all you b!tches, y'all are a bunch of (blanks)." She also said he used sexually and racially charged language. Upon reading about HG's current arrest, the former arresting officer said she was not surprised by his arrest. "He was by far the most rude most hateful most combative college kid I ever dealt with."

He wanted that computer for a reason. He knows what on it will convict him.

I believe it was many hours later when suspect spoke to police and confessed. Not sure being under influence would prevent him from being able to waive his rights...not the law's fault if he is drunk and stupid, i.e. although I am sure it will be argued. I think her roommate must have jumped to conclusions when she could not wake her roommate as murder would not be the first thing to come to mind...
In any case, it will be hard to avoid first-degree if there were any previous threats on record...whether he meant to kill her on that night or not. I would not be surprised to see a plea to 2nd degree, if confession is upheld, as 1st degree would seem likely verdict to me. On NG they said his lawyer made a huge mistake in claiming her death was a tragic accident as it rules out trying the "impaired and doesn't remember" defense later on...

The actions by the roommate have me going ??????. If the door to her bedroom has a whole in it....wouldn't that be a sign and then when she tried to wake her...didn't she look at her face??? Sounds hinky to me. I would have flipped.

I agree with you about the previous threats and the plea of 2nd degree. As far as impaired and doesn't remember--he certainly seemed to remember enough of what happened. I don't think he see involuntary manslaughter, but I think his co-operation may get 2nd degree.

BUT....we don't know everything yet either.

How tragic for both families. I wonder how long the parents had been divorced and he was still having anger issues over it?

Beating/shaking someone without having an intent to kill that someone might make it something less than a first degree murder, but I fail to see how it would make it an "accident."

I think of an accident as being an unintentional outcome. Possibly, that's not the legal definition, but that's what it means to me.

He didn't call 911 after this supposed "accident." Instead he allegedly took her computer with their "communications" with him. So what does it tell you?

The thing is - it makes complete sense to me that you might not call LE after you unintentionally kill someone. Your actions have caused a death - you know you're in serious trouble and you want to cover it up. This doesn't mean you intentionally killed someone - it just means you don't want to face the consequences of your actions. And I get that! So to me - it doesn't speak to premeditation.

Could be hours after the injury
And I disagree that her roommates "must have known she was quite intoxicated."
If they found her unresponsive they could have assumed it was because she were drunk without knowing anything of the sort.

BBM....

Looking at it from this angle and from cases such as Natasha R., this girl could have still been alive and even walking and talking when he grabbed the computer and left. It seems that taking it would indicate that he knew how seriously she was injured, but then again, it could be as simple as it was a computer that he loaned to her or gave her. We will have to hope that the questions such as this will be answered eventually. But then again, the next court date is a month away and likely to be delayed for various reasons. Cases such as this tend to fade in the public view and if a plea is reached, most information may never be public knowledge.

jmoo

I think of an accident as being an unintentional outcome. Possibly, that's not the legal definition, but that's what it means to me.

That is how I look at the statement too.

The actions by the roommate have me going ??????. If the door to her bedroom has a whole in it....wouldn't that be a sign and then when she tried to wake her...didn't she look at her face??? Sounds hinky to me. I would have flipped.

I agree with you about the previous threats and the plea of 2nd degree. As far as impaired and doesn't remember--he certainly seemed to remember enough of what happened. I don't think he see involuntary manslaughter, but I think his co-operation may get 2nd degree.

BUT....we don't know everything yet either.

How tragic for both families. I wonder how long the parents had been divorced and he was still having anger issues over it?

I find this really strange too. There was a pool of blood on pillow, serious facial injuries and a hole in the broken down door -how could this have looked like she was out of it drunk...

I am still confused with the emphasis on her computer....they can get her e mail messages from ANY computer, so taking her computer had no effect on whether anything would be found there. Any LE can sit at his desk and sign on to her account if someone gives them the right information to do so.

I am still confused with the emphasis on her computer....they can get her e mail messages from ANY computer, so taking her computer had no effect on whether anything would be found there. Any LE can sit at his desk and sign on to her account if someone gives them the right information to do so.

That's very true, however I don't think HG was exactly thinking straight.

You can 'accidentally' hit someone once, but repeatedly with their head banging the wall? ehhhh, no!

This was no accident and he had plenty of time in between blows to stop. He didn't.

I don't feel sorry for him. He's getting what he deserves, I hope.

JMHO
fran

I am not knowledgeable in computers at all, but could they do a forensic search of her hard drive that way?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back