GUILTY MS - Linda Reed for embezzlement, Copiah County, 2012

Wow! I was just reading the comments on CR's facebook. There is a lot of discussion arount May 8th about the Sheriff not taking any action. Also, mention of 1 FBI agent being sent for the investigation. I certainly hope since 5/8 they have gotten more help from LE. The lack of attention that is being given to this case is very sad for the family. This brings questions to my mind about a small town Sheriff and the dynamics that small towns can have when it comes to business and influence.

I wonder how accurate this information is. This one states it was: "Updated 11/17/2011 - This profile of Moore Machine & Welding Shop, Inc was created using data from Dun & Bradstreet "

And was her name still Slay in 2011? If so, hadn't been married long to Mr. Reed.

This one states:
"Updated 11/15/2011 - This profile of Moore Machine & Welding Shop, Inc was created using data from Dun & Bradstreet"

Updated only 2 days later and her name is listed as Reed. :dunno:

Correction: I meant to say two days earlier, not later. :doh:

Dun & Bradstreet is a credit rating corporation, and I'm not sure if they check the business license update or if any changes were made when renewed. I'm not sure exactly where they pull their info from. The one article stated the Reed's had been married 12 years.

B&SBM: Good to know. I guess I missed that information. TU hollyblue :)

Hmmm, so maybe someone in the Moore family, at least Shannon Moore, has some reason he doesn't want Mrs. Reed found. IMO, this is starting to look more and more like he and/or another of the business owners had something to do with Mrs. Reed's disappearance.
Why would he have put out this unproven information so prematurely when it is so possible that foul play is involved and that's why she's missing?

To discourage the search efforts maybe? And, to use Mrs. Reed as the scapegoat for missing money and possibly some other illegal activities he may be involved with? If that is the case, then he already knew there was something wrong with the books, and maybe that's why Mrs. Reed has 'disappeared'. :waitasec:

When Shannon Moore, the owner of Moore's Fabrications in Gallman, where Linda Reed has worked since 1999, said earlier this week there were possible discrepancies in his company's books, "that caused some people to cease wanting to look for her," Chris Reed said.
......He wishes Moore had waited until there was more proof before he made the allegations.

This was what I had been thinking since the charge had been dismissed by the judge.

"It is so out of character for her. They were too quick to damage her character. There was never any trouble with the IRS. A check-forging charge in 1974 that had something to do with an ex-husband was dismissed," he said.
http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...nswers?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

I think it is highly unusual for an employee to stay/live in a trailer on the grounds of the company in relative isolation during off-hours merely for the convenience of lessening a commute. Perhaps it was convenient for a different reason, and whatever that reason is has led to this disappearance. I agree with those who think someone in her circle of acquaintances knows where Mrs. Reed is.

I have been trying to catch up but I may have missed something. If I understand correctly Ms. Reed was last seen on the survelliellance tape leaving Walmart about 7:30. Co-workers said she went back to the office, told them she needed to return to Walmart for groceries, and asked them to leave the gate unlocked because she would soon be leaving to go back to Walmart. As far as I can see may not have made it. I am confused about the 9:30 report by the media. Was she seen at Wamart at 7:30 and 9:30 also? If not, was she seen by anyone other than the co-workers after she left Walmart at 7:30? The co-workers say she returned to the business and also her husband reported speaking to her around 9:00 pm and IIRC he assumed she was home for the night. When co-workers arrived Monday the gate was locked from the outside. Ms Moore said she (Ms. Reed) always locks the gate at night and unlocks it in the morning. "She is always the first one here," she said of Ms. Reed.She did live there, right? Has it been explained who the "co-workers" are that spoke to Ms. Reed? It just seems odd to me since it was late on a Sunday afternoon, but for all I know it is a large company with three shifts of workers. Did she speak to several people to tell them she was returning to Walmart, or maybe even just the owners, although I don't think the owners would be called co-workers in the media. Maybe I just missed it in the articles, but is there evidence she actually left the business , such as a receipt or something? Sorry for all the questions, but I feel like I am just overlooking something. TIA.

I have been trying to catch up but I may have missed something. If I understand correctly Ms. Reed was last seen on the survelliellance tape leaving Walmart about 7:30. Co-workers said she went back to the office, told them she needed to return to Walmart for groceries, and asked them to leave the gate unlocked because she would soon be leaving to go back to Walmart. As far as I can see may not have made it. I am confused about the 9:30 report by the media. Was she seen at Wamart at 7:30 and 9:30 also? If not, was she seen by anyone other than the co-workers after she left Walmart at 7:30? The co-workers say she returned to the business and also her husband reported speaking to her around 9:00 pm and IIRC he assumed she was home for the night. When co-workers arrived Monday the gate was locked from the outside. Ms Moore said she (Ms. Reed) always locks the gate at night and unlocks it in the morning. "She is always the first one here," she said of Ms. Reed.She did live there, right? Has it been explained who the "co-workers" are that spoke to Ms. Reed? It just seems odd to me since it was late on a Sunday afternoon, but for all I know it is a large company with three shifts of workers. Did she speak to several people to tell them she was returning to Walmart, or maybe even just the owners, although I don't think the owners would be called co-workers in the media. Maybe I just missed it in the articles, but is there evidence she actually left the business , such as a receipt or something? Sorry for all the questions, but I feel like I am just overlooking something. TIA.

I think you've summed it up nicely, and questioned the unknown or should I say, unpublished information.

As sleuther missingm mentioned earlier, I also find it odd that the owner's wife spoke to the press earlier than the owner himself. Does anyone know if they live in the same town as their business?

I don't really find it odd that the wife spoke. That wouldn't be uncommon. Since Ms. Reed had worked for her husband's business (and wouldn't it be her business too?), then Ms. Moore had known Ms. Reed for a very long time. And Ms. Moore was probably available for comment when the media contacted the family.

Have we seen the husband speak in this case yet? I know at least one of the sons has spoken out.

I don't really find it odd that the wife spoke. That wouldn't be uncommon. Since Ms. Reed had worked for her husband's business (and wouldn't it be her business too?), then Ms. Moore had known Ms. Reed for a very long time. And Ms. Moore was probably available for comment when the media contacted the family.

Have we seen the husband speak in this case yet? I know at least one of the sons has spoken out.

I can't explain why it struck me odd that the wife spoke first, it just did. I see your point also, that it would be her business, too. I do not think Mrs. Reed's current husband has spoken to the press at all.

I can't explain why it struck me odd that the wife spoke first, it just did. I see your point also, that it would be her business, too. I do not think Mrs. Reed's current husband has spoken to the press at all.

Bit, several posters have commented that they thought it was odd, as well. I just didn't find it so.

I do find it odd that:
1. She was working so late on Sunday. (With co-workers?)
2. That she didn't get a few groceries the first time at Wally World.
3. That she asked the co-workers not to lock the gate (when she was
always the one that locked the gate anyway).
4. That hubby spoke to her at 9pm and assumed she was in for the night.
5. Her vehicle was found in opposite direction of Walmart.
6. That the vehicle was found near another Moore business with a trailer.
7. That there were no tracks or scents leading away from her vehicle.
8. That her cash, credit cards, etc, were in the vehicle.
9. That a blanket was spread out near the vehicle. (Forensics, where are
you?)
10. That the hubby hasn't spoken out to the media. (Was he asked not to by
LE?)

And I'm sure there are more odd things that I just haven't thought of yet...or that I forgot!

ETA: Oh yes, and that darn tooth! Isn't that odd?!

Ok, this is going to sound crazy, but did anyone else have in their mind that the trailer Linda lived in was within the gates of the business? I just had a well duh moment when it occurred to me it could be on the property,but outside the gates.

Meaning I guess that maybe she did lock up after putting groceries or supplies in the office, then go home. Maybe she simply decided not to go back to walmart that night -I change my mind and destination all the time.. Maybe that white truck supposedly backed up to her house in the middle of the night took not only something away from her trailer but her as well - either willing or not. Car could have been driven to that out of the way spot by anybody.

Do we know how many employees the business has?

Seems likely someone employed present or former of the nearby Moore business would be familiar with that unusual place her vehicle was found?

Just musing, nothing but MHOO

I live in the area and thought I would answer a few of your questions.

The trailor IS located within the gated grounds of the business. As well, her husband has spoken to media. While I can not say which local news station has him speaking on camera, the 3 major news outlets are wapt16, wjtv12 and wlbt3.... just search her name.

LR has at least 2 children and numerous grandchildren living in Copiah county, a son and a daughter ... and she herself has lived here many years. Knowing this, it isnt so strange she stays here during the weeks. I assume she has ties to Carrollton only because she married a man from there.

I personally do not believe there ever was any 2nd trip to Walmart. This was only stated once, and by someone she worked with. Im fairly certain that info hasnt ever come from the sheriffs office.

Shannon Moore is a male, should anyone be thinking that is the name of the wife ... it isnt. His facebook page lists him living in Brandon, Ms, within Rankin county, which is about 30 miles northeast of Copiah. I have heard only good things about him, including he is a part time missionary.

According to the sheriff, the blanket, phone and glasses were inside the car, not spread out, outside. One problem I believe is the media seems to report just whatever is being told to them, by whomever, and as it changes, they are not correcting their previous reporting. Depending on which news outlet you visit, they even have the make of her SUV wrong.

The following things are only rumor floating about the town. I have heard her current husband makes dentures, however, I have also heard the ex she was married to twice, Von Slay, made dentures. Could be the tooth wasnt her tooth at all. In fact, in the beginning, the sheriff said there was no cause to suspect foul play, nor have I heard the sheriff mention any tooth himself. I would think had they found a tooth or blood, they wouldnt have went with no foul play in the beginning hours. It is my understanding that the local son called cell company and had them ping his mothers cell, which then sent him to the general location of her SUV. I have always been confused as to why the sheriff ever thought this was a case of dementia being the family found SUV, and present to say she was of sound mind.

In my opinion, this is a case of a lot of talking to the media before ANY facts were really known. I imagine the sheriff is doing a fine a job as he can, but frankly, in this area, he hasnt really ever had any case such as this. Overall, not a lot of killings here, and certainly no disappearance case such as this before. The areas they knew to search were searched, but this county doesnt have the personnel to search day in and day out ... especially with no leads.

Oh yes, I almost forgot ... It is being said that LR owned 3 pieces of land and had recently sold them off causing some bad feelings within the family. Im sure there is more Ive seen here I could answer, and have forgotten ... but maybe this helps a few questions. Or, adds more confusion, one.

I have enjoyed checking here daily because you guys are doing a fine job of digging up info, and you dont even live here. I myself didnt know of this second family business til you guys said so, so, thanks! That is rather interesting. And Id like to say that if any of you are here because of missing someone yourself, Im very sorry. We shouldnt need forums such as this.

I live in the area and thought I would answer a few of your questions.

The trailor IS located within the gated grounds of the business. As well, her husband has spoken to media. While I can not say which local news station has him speaking on camera, the 3 major news outlets are wapt16, wjtv12 and wlbt3.... just search her name.

LR has at least 2 children and numerous grandchildren living in Copiah county, a son and a daughter ... and she herself has lived here many years. Knowing this, it isnt so strange she stays here during the weeks. I assume she has ties to Carrollton only because she married a man from there.

I personally do not believe there ever was any 2nd trip to Walmart. This was only stated once, and by someone she worked with. Im fairly certain that info hasnt ever come from the sheriffs office.

Shannon Moore is a male, should anyone be thinking that is the name of the wife ... it isnt. His facebook page lists him living in Brandon, Ms, within Rankin county, which is about 30 miles northeast of Copiah. I have heard only good things about him, including he is a part time missionary.

According to the sheriff, the blanket, phone and glasses were inside the car, not spread out, outside. One problem I believe is the media seems to report just whatever is being told to them, by whomever, and as it changes, they are not correcting their previous reporting. Depending on which news outlet you visit, they even have the make of her SUV wrong.

The following things are only rumor floating about the town. I have heard her current husband makes dentures, however, I have also heard the ex she was married to twice, Von Slay, made dentures. Could be the tooth wasnt her tooth at all. In fact, in the beginning, the sheriff said there was no cause to suspect foul play, nor have I heard the sheriff mention any tooth himself. I would think had they found a tooth or blood, they wouldnt have went with no foul play in the beginning hours. It is my understanding that the local son called cell company and had them ping his mothers cell, which then sent him to the general location of her SUV. I have always been confused as to why the sheriff ever thought this was a case of dementia being the family found SUV, and present to say she was of sound mind.

In my opinion, this is a case of a lot of talking to the media before ANY facts were really known. I imagine the sheriff is doing a fine a job as he can, but frankly, in this area, he hasnt really ever had any case such as this. Overall, not a lot of killings here, and certainly no disappearance case such as this before. The areas they knew to search were searched, but this county doesnt have the personnel to search day in and day out ... especially with no leads.

Oh yes, I almost forgot ... It is being said that LR owned 3 pieces of land and had recently sold them off causing some bad feelings within the family. Im sure there is more Ive seen here I could answer, and have forgotten ... but maybe this helps a few questions. Or, adds more confusion, one.

I have enjoyed checking here daily because you guys are doing a fine job of digging up info, and you dont even live here. I myself didnt know of this second family business til you guys said so, so, thanks! That is rather interesting. And Id like to say that if any of you are here because of missing someone yourself, Im very sorry. We shouldnt need forums such as this.

Thanks for your insight. I have a few questions. Does anyone live in the trailer located behind the business on Lake Copiah Road? Did searchers look in the area near that business?

Thank you, Copiahtown for your local take on the situation. As you suggested, I went back to the local news media and found that Linda Reed's current husband, James Reed, has spoken to the media.

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mi...man/-/9156946/13083492/-/c4irpjz/-/index.html

"I just want to find Linda,' her husband, James Reed, said.

James Reed said the past two years have been hard for him and his family. He said she would never have left on her own.

"She wouldn't have left her friends, family and me," he said. "I suspect that she's been abducted."

Reed said he is not giving up hope of finding his wife.

:wagon:

Welcome to Websleuths, Copiahtown! Thanks for your insight!

Copiahtown....Welcome to WS and thank you for your input. Do you know if LR's siblings live in the area also.... as I know her mother lives in Philadelphia, MS? TIA Please keep us posted on what the local TV news is broadcasting.

In general, just a speculation, but I don't find it odd that she would ask someone to close the gate upon their leaving, as it would appear for the business to be closed....and nearing dark, if not already. How many people would actually think to look to see if it was actually locked?

Hope we hear more from LE today.

Thank you, Copiahtown for your local take on the situation. As you suggested, I went back to the local news media and found that Linda Reed's current husband, James Reed, has spoken to the media.

Quote:

"I just want to find Linda,' her husband, James Reed, said.

James Reed said the past two years have been hard for him and his family. He said she would never have left on her own.

"She wouldn't have left her friends, family and me," he said. "I suspect that she's been abducted."

Reed said he is not giving up hope of finding his wife.

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mi...man/-/9156946/13083492/-/c4irpjz/-/index.html

Just picked up on this (BBM). I wonder what was going on within the last two years to make him say this?

And here the reporter states that, according to the sheriff, Mrs. Reed had been placed on probation for the check forgery charges several years ago. The previous reports stated the charges had been dismissed. So I wonder which is correct. :confused:
http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mi...oney/-/9156946/13423540/-/g12v1z/-/index.html

And in this one, reporter states the sheriff is "pretty adamant" that Mrs. Reed is alive but is being very guarded as to why he believes this.

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mi...urn/-/9156946/13422494/-/ax1ytaz/-/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back