How significant were pageants in JonBenet's life?

As for Jonbenet and pagents, her costumes were outrageous and many of them resembled ones her mother had worn in her pageant days. To me, it was Patsy who was in love with the pageants and Jonbenet probably would not dare to dig in her heels and say "No. I want to stay home." jmo

This is what Judith Phillips said:

JP: What I saw in that photo shoot which was really the last time I, no, the second to last time I saw her alive, was that Patsy was in a frenzy, that she was late as usual, and she probably had another appointment that she was already late for so it was....c'mon, get...you know, she was real tense, and the kids were like real stiff and real obedient to her, they knew not to cross a certain line and then when I took the pictures, especially of JonBenét alone, I allowed her to be free and be herself and on some level, it was difficult for her to handle that. I remember I had to talk to her, encourage her, not to be quote, on, you know I wanted a deeper picture.

Dear lord...can JonBenet's forehead be any bigger??? She looks like John...big forehead and beady eyes.

Dear lord...can JonBenet's forehead be any bigger??? She looks like John...big forehead and beady eyes.

I'm not really sure why you're critiquing a 6-year-old's looks; especially one who will only know because she was murdered....

I have followed this case from the very beginning because of the pageat aspect at first and then because it just enthralls me. I competed for years in pageants and have a 12 year old daughter who has competed since she was a baby. I have never thought her death had anything to do with pageants. I believe pageants were a small part of JB's live but were becoming bigger and had she lived she would have probably become more deeply involved until either Patsy burned out or JB aged out which is what happens to most pageant kids. It cost a great deal to compete and some moms are so ddicted they are robbing peter to pay paul and it eventually catches up with them , others have the money but grow tired of the drama and stress , or the girls grow into young adults and are to old to do kiddie pageants and at that point a few go on and do the Miss America System or Miss USA system. Patsy had the money to back it so she probably would have kept JB comepting until she was old enough to do MAO or USA. I think some of you may be missing the bigger picture , I know pageants to the oustiders seem horrible and even macabre to some but their truly are girls who love doing this with very supportive moms . I think Patsy was a perfectionist and a control freak and I think she would have pushed JB into whatever she wanted her to do weather that be pageants , dance , gymnastics whatever. Pageants are something my daughter and I enjoy doing together. She is older now and has alot of school and sports activities and we do about 6 pageants a year. When she was younger we did many more there were a couple of occasions where we did 2 on the same weekend and even once when we did a morning pageant and then an afternoon one. My daughter has loved being up on stage ever since she was little bitty. She loves pageants and she helps pick the ones she does. She also lets me know when she wants a break. Most often though it is me who needs the break. Before anyone throws me in the fire my daughter is a happy well adjusted preteen who is an all a student in the gifted program. Pageants are just a mother daughter thing we do a few weekends a year. I will say though I think that Jb at least somewhat enjoyed it because looking at the progression in the pictures from when she first started pageants and the last ones she did I see a marked difference. She is shy with no real stage or modeling ability , see the one with her hands in front of her , that is a sing of nerves. In the later pics she is all smiles , great modeling looks very confident. Like I said I do not think pageants had anything to do with her murder. I never met the Ramseys but do remember some of the pageant moms saying that when she Came down to Atlanta to do Sunburst Nationals that Patsy was very stuck up and acted very guarded about JB's outfits and who made them as if she was afraid they would be copied. They said Nedra seemed much nicer. Patsy designed JB's outfits and they would not really be talked about now as times have changed and some of the moms should be arrested for what they put on there young kids but at the time they were considered garish and flamboyant and were not competitive on a national level. I think it was probably an eye opener to Patsy coming to Atlanta to do Sunburst Nationals because she probably felt JB would win but JB was what would be called a newbie in the pageant world and pageants in the south are much bigger and more competitive and at that time Sunburst was the biggest.That would have been in July s that probably explains why closer to JB's death that Patsy was scheduling more and more pageants. I think she wanted to make a name for JB in the pageant world.

Good post, bamabeauty. I agree that the pageants are not responsible for JonBenet's death. I know her friend's thought PR went a little overboard when it came to JB but I think that was because of all the lessons, practising, photos, and everything else JB had to endure because of the pageants. The sad thing is that JonBenet was a beautiful child in her own right and all this "extra" that she endured was making her believe she was inadequate. I also know what you mean about the Sunburst Pageant as my niece competed in it several years ago. I believe JB's death was a horrible accident that most of us would have reported immediately. If the truth were known, I'm sure we would all be shocked at just how "normal" an accident it really was. At least I hope so!

I agree that it it could have been ANY activity that was the manifestation of the strange relationahip - could have just as easily been figure skating, gymnastics, cheer, dance......
I also must admit that I am SURE the TV shows about pageants are more than likely not how it is AT ALL for 95% of the families. The nature of putting on a TV show people will watch, you know!

I agree that it it could have been ANY activity that was the manifestation of the strange relationahip - could have just as easily been figure skating, gymnastics, cheer, dance......
I also must admit that I am SURE the TV shows about pageants are more than likely not how it is AT ALL for 95% of the families. The nature of putting on a TV show people will watch, you know!

I agree. I don't think we can make assumptions about JonBenet based on children who are on Toddlers & Tiaras or Little Miss Perfect. Not all pageant kids are the same just like not all kids who take gymnastics are the same or all kids who play soccer are the same.

Anyways, the following two videos are of JonBenet speaking at her pageants. Does JonBenet seem nervous or comfortable? That might give us some idea if she liked pageants; although we'll never truly know for sure.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVhSUi8fGoo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpEeMb2IitI[/ame]

In the top video she seems a little fidgety and nervous. In the bottom video she seems very comfortable on stage and did excellent for her age. She seemed like a pro on stage. I wonder when these pageant were? ALso Mary 95% is a nice estimate lol. I would say it is abot half and half. Some of those moms really are as crazy as they look on tv and there are a high number who really are living through their daughters but again that is probally true in any children's activity. I just wanted everyone to know that there are some of us out there who do this with our children because we love them and love spending time together.

In the top video she seems a little fidgety and nervous. In the bottom video she seems very comfortable on stage and did excellent for her age. She seemed like a pro on stage. I wonder when these pageant were? ALso Mary 95% is a nice estimate lol. I would say it is abot half and half. Some of those moms really are as crazy as they look on tv and there are a high number who really are living through their daughters but again that is probally true in any children's activity. I just wanted everyone to know that there are some of us out there who do this with our children because we love them and love spending time together.

The first video was taken in July 1996 and the second video was taken in December 1996. I like how she said she was 5 and a half in the first video even though she was only a few weeks from turning 6. LOL.

She is smiling and poised. I think she enjoyed the pageants, but did NOT enjoy the "work" involved or her mother's control. I think all the lessons, coaching, fittings, hair, etc. were tiring and she didn't enjoy how all-consuming they were. But as far as performing and winning- I think she seems to like that part. Most little girls like to dress up in pretty outfits. Many of hers were pretty, frilly dresses and things like the pink satin cowgirl outfit (Western Wear seems to be a common part of these pageants) and although these may have been expensive and fancy, they weren't "over the top" or inappropriate the way some of her other outfits were (the Vegas Showgirl, the "slave girl" ribbon sandals", etc.). JB couldn't tell the difference between what was not appropriate for a little girl- to her they were all costumes. She wore what Patsy wanted her to wear.

The only costumes of JonBenet's that I felt really crossed a line was the Vegas showgirl costume and the long skirt into a leotard costume. JonBenet didn't think of the "skirt to leotard" move on her own; someone taught her it. Also, to a lesser extent, the black and white costume just because it was a bit too sophisticated for her age. It's not just the costumes that I have a problem with; it's the makeup and the hair too. All together; it's just too much for a 5-6-year-old. It's too glam.

IMO, the following pictures are just TOO MUCH. Just going by JBR's face, she could pass for a teenager.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

You know what bothers me a LOT about those costumes? Her earrings. The oversize, adult earrings, to me, go a long way towards giving her an adult look. I know the hair, makeup, etc. all are so wrong for a little girl, but there is something about those earrings that make it seem even more wrong.

I had never paid much attention to JBR's earrings but you're right, they do give her a more grown up look.

These two photos are from the same photoshoot but JBR looks much more "glamorous" in the 2nd picture:

l.jpg

l.jpg

(These pictures are from the same MySpace as before)

The picture of JonBenet in the heart dress is cropped...there is one floating around that shows the entire body, including her feet. Her toenails look horrible in that picture...nail polish scraped off of some of the toes. Goes to show JonBenet did not like anyone messing with her nails.

I have followed this case from the very beginning because of the pageat aspect at first and then because it just enthralls me. I competed for years in pageants and have a 12 year old daughter who has competed since she was a baby. I have never thought her death had anything to do with pageants. I believe pageants were a small part of JB's live but were becoming bigger and had she lived she would have probably become more deeply involved until either Patsy burned out or JB aged out which is what happens to most pageant kids. It cost a great deal to compete and some moms are so ddicted they are robbing peter to pay paul and it eventually catches up with them , others have the money but grow tired of the drama and stress , or the girls grow into young adults and are to old to do kiddie pageants and at that point a few go on and do the Miss America System or Miss USA system. Patsy had the money to back it so she probably would have kept JB comepting until she was old enough to do MAO or USA. I think some of you may be missing the bigger picture , I know pageants to the oustiders seem horrible and even macabre to some but their truly are girls who love doing this with very supportive moms . I think Patsy was a perfectionist and a control freak and I think she would have pushed JB into whatever she wanted her to do weather that be pageants , dance , gymnastics whatever. Pageants are something my daughter and I enjoy doing together. She is older now and has alot of school and sports activities and we do about 6 pageants a year. When she was younger we did many more there were a couple of occasions where we did 2 on the same weekend and even once when we did a morning pageant and then an afternoon one. My daughter has loved being up on stage ever since she was little bitty. She loves pageants and she helps pick the ones she does. She also lets me know when she wants a break. Most often though it is me who needs the break. Before anyone throws me in the fire my daughter is a happy well adjusted preteen who is an all a student in the gifted program. Pageants are just a mother daughter thing we do a few weekends a year. I will say though I think that Jb at least somewhat enjoyed it because looking at the progression in the pictures from when she first started pageants and the last ones she did I see a marked difference. She is shy with no real stage or modeling ability , see the one with her hands in front of her , that is a sing of nerves. In the later pics she is all smiles , great modeling looks very confident. Like I said I do not think pageants had anything to do with her murder. I never met the Ramseys but do remember some of the pageant moms saying that when she Came down to Atlanta to do Sunburst Nationals that Patsy was very stuck up and acted very guarded about JB's outfits and who made them as if she was afraid they would be copied. They said Nedra seemed much nicer. Patsy designed JB's outfits and they would not really be talked about now as times have changed and some of the moms should be arrested for what they put on there young kids but at the time they were considered garish and flamboyant and were not competitive on a national level. I think it was probably an eye opener to Patsy coming to Atlanta to do Sunburst Nationals because she probably felt JB would win but JB was what would be called a newbie in the pageant world and pageants in the south are much bigger and more competitive and at that time Sunburst was the biggest.That would have been in July s that probably explains why closer to JB's death that Patsy was scheduling more and more pageants. I think she wanted to make a name for JB in the pageant world.

I agree. When you look at the photos outside of the pageant world, it does seem freakish. But inside the world, it is perfectly normal.

My older daughter has done pageants. She is a child who loves to be on stage. She has wonderful stage presence and sparkle. What I love about pageants is the poise it teaches young girls. It's not all like "Toddlers and Tiaras". I agree..some of those moms are nuts.

It is fun for the kids because they make lots of friends. JonBenet would bring her barbies so that she could play with her friends...not all work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back