Third form of twins discovered

ljwf22

Reality continues to ruin my life.
Reaction score
"Twins can be identical, fraternal and apparently semi-identical, scientists now report.

Researchers discovered twins who are identical on their mom's side of the equation but share only half their genes from dad."

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience...sdiscovered;_ylt=AovilSsdvmHjaJ8OoxqkX3gDW7oF

Very interesting. I had identical twins as roommates in college. Their parents were also identical twins. Their parents' twins also married each other.

Very interesting. I had identical twins as roommates in college. Their parents were also identical twins. Their parents' twins also married each other.

That is an interesting article.

So if identical twins marry identical twins, then their children are cousins, except they have the same DNA makeup? So technically, are they siblings?

And their grandparents are identical twins who married one another? Wow, that's really wild.

So if identical twins marry identical twins, then their children are cousins, except they have the same DNA makeup? So technically, are they siblings?
Finally, an explanation for Cathy and Patty on The Patty Duke Show.

And their grandparents are identical twins who married one another? Wow, that's really wild.
My roomies called their cousins 'double cousins' and they looked very similar. They wouldn't be siblings because they had different parents. But the "Smith" twin girls married the "Jones" twin boys.

Finally, an explanation for Cathy and Patty on The Patty Duke Show.

It also explains cousins Samantha and Sarina on Bewitched.

Hilarious, Mabel! LMAO.

If a pair of identical cousins marrys another pair of identical cousins than children of one set of twins would be cousins to the children of the other set of twins. And, they would each have the genetic variability of any other child. However, all children from both sets of twins would be just as close in genetics to each other and equally to all children born from either set of parents.

This is a very interesting finding, incidently. It sure has me wanting to know more.

Lion

Mabel, you are a crack up :D

Very interesting indeed. I had friends in high school who looked identical but were fraternal. I always wondered if there was some sort of variation that had been yet unnamed and now I guess there is. I know a lot of us have probably seen fraternal twins who look identical or pretty close. I guess this explains the Olson twins.

We've never had our twins tested to determine if they're identical or not. The perinatologist told us that because of how the placental material was formed, it could be either way. I believe they are identical, but I don't know for sure.

We've always told people that if they're not "identical" they're surely "similar" and leave it at that. Hee hee! It's interesting to know there's another option.

Hmm.... very interesting - I have twin boys that are supposed to be identical, but we can tell them apart very easily..... they both have blonde hair, blue eyes and same nose, but mouths are different and eyes look different besides the color.... makes me wonder if they could be this new kind of twins...:waitasec:

makes one wonder if this could extend to triplets or more, even? can you imagine - one egg - fertilized by three different sperm? talk about a three way split.....
I've also heard of fraternal twins born from two different fathers.....two different races.....

makes one wonder if this could extend to triplets or more, even? can you imagine - one egg - fertilized by three different sperm? talk about a three way split.....
I've also heard of fraternal twins born from two different fathers.....two different races.....

I have actually seen that before - the mom was white and she had a white boy and an african american boy....born on the same day, but had been conceived at different times....that would be hard to explain to her "twins"!

My sisters are twins. They have been told they are mirror twins. Which means the left side of ones face is like the right side of the other.

My sisters are twins. They have been told they are mirror twins. Which means the left side of ones face is like the right side of the other.

Doesn't it also mean that one is left handed and the other right handed??

Here's what I LOVE. I have a boy and a girl twin. People used to ask me if they were fraternal or identical and they could see that one was a boy.......and the other a girl. :doh: :doh: :doh:

The interesting thing is that my son has blue eyes (the only blue eyes in the family) and my daughter has brown eyes!

Wish I had listened more when I took a class in genetics. The only thing I remembered was how color blindness is inherited. Alway's through the "mother's" father. Well, that's true. My dad was color blind and so are my three sons!

xxxxxoooooo
mama

"Twins can be identical, fraternal and apparently semi-identical, scientists now report.

Researchers discovered twins who are identical on their mom's side of the equation but share only half their genes from dad."

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience...sdiscovered;_ylt=AovilSsdvmHjaJ8OoxqkX3gDW7oF

You know, I remember hearing about this eons ago when I was in college, but I remember it as the mother's egg divides on its own before fertilization, and then both eggs are fertilized by separate sperm.

This could certainly explain the Olson twins. They are supposed to be fraternal, and now that they are grown and dress differently, they appear "less identical" than they used to, but when they were younger they looked identical to me. But I think one of them is 1/2 inch taller than the other.

I dated a boy in high school with a supposed identical twin, yet they were easily told apart. My boyfriend had a longer, rounder face than his brother, and there were other subtle physical differences, too. They were likely these semi-identical twins, as well.

I went to school with one of a set of triplets, she and her sister were identical. Brother fraternal of course but if you put a red wig on him you would not have been able to tell any of them apart LOL!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back