FL - Jasmon Rudolph, 3, dead, 1yo injured in bathtub, Lakeland, 3 May 2007

White Rain

Reaction score
Somethings not on the up and up here...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269954,00.html

LAKELAND, Fla. — A 3-year-old boy died and his 1-year-old brother was injured after they were found unconscious Thursday in a bathtub filled with water and cleaning solutions, Polk County authorities said.
Ashenka Broome, 24, said she put a mixture of water, bleach, Pine-Sol, and Mr. Clean in the tub to clean it, according to Carrie Rodgers, spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.
While mopping the kitchen floor, Broome realized she did not hear her sons and went to look for them. She found them upstairs in the master bathroom tub, Rodgers said.
Broome brought the boys downstairs and called for help. Neighbors performed CPR until paramedics arrived.
Jasmon Rudolph was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, Rodgers said. Jastin Rudolph, was airlifted to St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, and was expected to make a full recovery, authorities said.
An autopsy will be performed on Jasmon Rudolph to determined the cause of death.
It was too early in the case to determine if charges would be filed, Rodgers said.
"We don't know how they got in the tub or how long they were in there," she said.

Many years ago, when I was young and stupid, (or more young and more stupid than I am today,) I mixed clorox and pine sol. The chemical reaction was awful. A fireman friend later warned me of the dangers in mixing such cleaning chemicals which give off terrible toxic fumes...

I felt sincerely ignorant.

Many years ago, when I was young and stupid, (or more young and more stupid than I am today,) I mixed clorox and pine sol. The chemical reaction was awful. A fireman friend later warned me of the dangers in mixing such cleaning chemicals which give off terrible toxic fumes...

I felt sincerely ignorant.

We have all done stupid things, myself included...I guess my problem with the story is that FOUR, 4, cleaning solvents were used to clean a tub...come on now. ...how nasty could a tub be that it would take that many cleansers?
Also what would make the boys decide to get in there?
I could be wrong, if so I apologize to this poor mother over and over again...but again. something doesn't seem on the up and up here.

We have all done stupid things, myself included...I guess my problem with the story is that FOUR, 4, cleaning solvents were used to clean a tub...come on now. ...how nasty could a tub be that it would take that many cleansers?
I could be wrong, if so I apologize to this poor mother over and over again...but again. something doesn't seem on the up and up here.

Exactly, White. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up as well...

And aslo, the chemica reaction should have been so overpowering that once entering the bathroom it would have been overwhelming...

How could they ever have made it into the bathroom and have gotten into the tub without being overcome by the fumes...

The chemical reaction with Pine Sol and Clorox is HUGE. I can't even imagine the combination of the other chemicals added as well.......... :doh:

Well, it was three. One of the things she put in there was water.

And it makes me wonder if she put them all in there at once, or if the story is "not quite right" and she actually tried one, then the other, then filled the tub with bleach and water. The list could have been just what might have been in there for the sake of poison control/autopsy, etc.

It's horrible. I could see how it could happen. If she filled the tub and the little boys decided it must be bath time. Fun! You can't leave little ones like that alone for a minute around water. They can drown in a bucket - I have even heard of a toddler drowning in a toilet!!!

I just hope it really was an accident. If you were going to kill your kids, surely you wouldn't bother cleaning the tub first. Right?

Was my immediate thought on reading the story, White Rain.

a one year-old isn't going to be a good witness . . .

If you were going to kill your kids, surely you wouldn't bother cleaning the tub first. Right?

All those chemicals would be hard to sift through for any evidence if needed, wouldn't they?

I've actually used 3 or 4 to clean the tub. My tub isn't nasty, we just have really bad water. The cleaners aren't used all at once though. One for soap scum/rust buildup, one is that scrubby-bubbles stuff in a can, another is bleach and I toss in the bath mat and other stuff into the water to soak, and sometimes CLR for the shower head because the first cleaner doesn't seem to work very well on that buildup. I just rinse it well and wait about 30m between each cleaner.

Maybe she was bleaching some plastic toys with the tub mat and the kids got in? I don't have children, but I do bleach the rats' toys and other plastic stuff. I could see a child wanting to go get their toys though and not realizing the water is dangerous.

Proberly not unheard of but a 3YO drowning in a bathtub seems a bit suspicious to me....unless he fell and hit his head.

I think kids just associate tubs with fun... Today we found out our 2 year old can climb in by herself. There was no water in the tub. But their toys are in there and she saw something she wanted so she went for it. Still scared the bee-jeesus out me and my hubby. Gonna have to figure out a way to stop that.....

But I think there could be more to this story. If not then my heart breaks for this mom... But if she did something initially to her children, well, may she just rot in h*ll....

why in the world is the name andrea yates coming to mind???? when my kids were each little like that, we kept the bathroom door shut with a safety latch on it since its hard to watch kids every second, the next bestthing is prevention....i'm surprised the mother wasn't overwhelmed by the fumes - and even if one uses four or five or six cleansers to clean hard water gook and stains, usually they are applied one at a time - not simultaneously....

why in the world is the name andrea yates coming to mind???? when my kids were each little like that, we kept the bathroom door shut with a safety latch on it since its hard to watch kids every second, the next bestthing is prevention....i'm surprised the mother wasn't overwhelmed by the fumes - and even if one uses four or five or six cleansers to clean hard water gook and stains, usually they are applied one at a time - not simultaneously....

We keep all our bathroom doors closed as well, but at 2.5, my son can easily open them, even with those child safety ones where you have to push in the sides to open it. I can't imagine how long they must've been alone though, that bothers me.
It only takes one second for something to happen, but I don't know how long it would take for the fumes to get to them. Perhaps they were playing in the tub and the 3 yr old passed out from the fumes and drowned? I wonder if they were clothed. This poor family... my thoughts are with them.

Somethings not on the up and up here...

While mopping the kitchen floor, Broome realized she did not hear her sons and went to look for them. She found them upstairs in the master bathroom tub, Rodgers said.

Rereading this, this part bothers me. I was thinking about a bathroom on the same floor, but they were upstairs. Maybe I'm the only one, but my son has zero access to our upstairs. There is a gate at the top of the stairs. Is this not common? I know I tend to be overprotective (every entryway has a gate available) so I don't know. This just seems weird to me to allow a 1 yr old a 3 yr old full access to all areas of a house. I know accidents happen, and maybe she took the gate when she was lugging up cleaning supplies, I guess there's that possibilty.

I instantly thought of Dave Pelzer and his nasty "mom" that tortured him by sticking him the bathroom and making him drink things like clorox etc.

I really hope this was just a horrible accident, but these things always sound "hinky" to me.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBH5TU1A1F.html

Judd said Broome was cooperating with investigators and that she and her family were "devastated" by what happened.
Judd said Broome gave this account of what happened inside her two-story town house-like home in north Lakeland:
About noon, the boys were playing on a staircase around the corner from the kitchen, where Broome was mopping. At some point, she noticed that she didn't hear them and went to look upstairs. She found them motionless in the master bedroom's bathtub, along with miniature footballs.
Broome rushed the boys downstairs and called for help. Neighbors arrived, and someone performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation until paramedics arrived.
(more at link)
===
I can see where they may have ventured to the bathroom to play while mom was busy. They could have been overwhelmed by the fumes and toppled over. I'm glad both boys didn't die.

Could be another Dave Pelzer story with the cleaning products. I gotta say thats the first thing that came to my mind for me.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBH5TU1A1F.html

Judd said Broome was cooperating with investigators and that she and her family were "devastated" by what happened.
Judd said Broome gave this account of what happened inside her two-story town house-like home in north Lakeland:
About noon, the boys were playing on a staircase around the corner from the kitchen, where Broome was mopping. At some point, she noticed that she didn't hear them and went to look upstairs. She found them motionless in the master bedroom's bathtub, along with miniature footballs.
Broome rushed the boys downstairs and called for help. Neighbors arrived, and someone performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation until paramedics arrived.
(more at link)
===
I can see where they may have ventured to the bathroom to play while mom was busy. They could have been overwhelmed by the fumes and toppled over. I'm glad both boys didn't die.
kids playing on stairs can be as dangerous as kids in a bath tub.

I don't know enough about the situation to get a feeling of whether this was intentional or an accident. I have only one floor, and I have no small children at this point. But, when my daughter was little and we had a second floor, I had baby gates at the top and the bottom of the stairs. When we were down stairs the bottom gate was fixed, and when we were upstairs the top gate would be fixed. Safety and prevention are the best measures I always said.

I feel so sad for the little one who didn't make it, and I hope the other little one is doing better.

Lion

I have questions for the mom.
Why did she deem it necessary to fill the tub with cleaning products? Why not use a bucket or the sink instead?
Who usually watches the children when she cleans?
Has social services ever been called to the home?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back