8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another interesting thing found in the police report, on page 10 it gives a witness account stating "I intereviewed ____ who stated that at approximately 1:15 pm he was travelling north on the taconic state parkway, just north of the Sprain Brook Parkway when he was cut off by a red minivan travelling north with a female operator... he later saw a picture of Diane Schuler and believes it was her operating this vehicle."

So 15 minutes before the accident she was driving in the correct direction on the Taconic about a mile south of where the accident occurred, only to exit and re-enter at the Pleasantville Rd exit, where there were numersous witness accounts (at least 4) of people warning her as she drove the wrong way on the exit ramp onto the highway. So, it appears she drove by the site of the accident just minutes before the crash going the right way. Since there is only one exit (Rt 117) between those spots, and there are lots of backroads, lights and turns to get up to the Pleasantville exit, it seems unlkely she got off at Rt 117 and bushwacked up to the Pleasantville Road exit in only a few minutes on a Sunday afternoon, more likely she simply got off at Pleasantville Rd and immediately made a U-turn and got right back on going south.

The police interview with Danny Schuler on July 31 states a few interesting things; he states his wife "smoked marijuana once in a while to relieve the stress of work and the kids"; so with the stress of 5 kids all weekend instead of two, would her stress level be high enough to trigger the response of smoking? He also states his wife "had no medical issues and was in good health." More telling is he says 'he drove to the campground on Thursday 7/27//09 (which we know is a lie now since he addmitted going there on Friday after the police checked his ezpass)." and that 'his wife usually took the same route home to long island, which was route 17 to interstate 87 to interstate 287 to interstate 95 to the Throgs Neck Bridge" So this suggests that they took separate cars to the campsite on a regular basis if she had a 'regular route' and he took his dog in his pickup truck. So it seems like he had the freedom to go anywhere he wanted as long as he got to the camp before she and the kids did. The real question, therefore, is where was he that Thursday night and how often was he using camping as his excuse to be somewhere else?

What century is this? I know lots of professional women who don't change their names when they marry.

I think the point is that she didn't use her maiden name. Everyone referred to her as Diane Schuler. I haven't seen a single report that referred to her as Diane Hance.

So to keep that on your voicemail for 7 years makes me :waitasec: . Even if she used to have it that way and "forgot" to change it, I have always had to change mine when I got a new phone, even when I stayed with the same provider. So she would have to deliberately leave her maiden name on the VM.

It could be nothing or it could be the name she used with people Danny didn't know...or know about.

So 15 minutes before the accident she was driving in the correct direction on the Taconic about a mile south of where the accident occurred, only to exit and re-enter at the Pleasantville Rd exit, where there were numersous witness accounts (at least 4) of people warning her as she drove the wrong way on the exit ramp onto the highway. So, it appears she drove by the site of the accident just minutes before the crash going the right way. Since there is only one exit (Rt 117) between those spots, and there are lots of backroads, lights and turns to get up to the Pleasantville exit, it seems unlkely she got off at Rt 117 and bushwacked up to the Pleasantville Road exit in only a few minutes on a Sunday afternoon, more likely she simply got off at Pleasantville Rd and immediately made a U-turn and got right back on going south.

Good info, which could lend credence to the theory that the crash was deliberate.

The only caveat I would issue is the witness could have been imprecise about the 1:15 timeline -- I doubt he/she looked at the clock and jotted it down when they saw Diane driving aggressively. So she may have had time to make a stop and try to get back on the Taconic and then do so incorrectly.

BBM: you are absolutely right. I thought I might get credit for having responded more carefully to her previous posts, but I see my error now. Thanks for speaking up about it.

(ETA: this post seems like one that can be read as literal or sarcastic. I mean it literally.)

I wasn't being sarcastic or literal...I meant one-liner like a joke. Deelyful obviously wasn't taking up for Diane vs. Daniel. It's not a male vs. female thing...It's a right vs. wrong thing.

I can't be convinced of any potential physical ailment. Danny right from the start has always said she was fine that morning. The mentions of the toothache came up later, once spin-doctor Dominic Barbara comes on the scene and starts inventing things. In fact, When Daniel Schuler was on Larry King and he asked about the toothache, Danny stated that Dominic Barbara 'knows more about that then me'. At the press conference Barbara brought up all these fantasy medical issues with no evidence whatsoever; the toothache, the lump on her leg that was moving, the stroke, the Anbesol theory... never mentioned in teh HBO show and ruled out during autopsy.

I hear you, and I agree that I cannot be convinced of a physical ailment, but I do think it is a possibility. To me, a sudden onset of a debilitating headache/toothache etc might explain why she ingested so much so quickly, in an effort to dull the pain. However, I can also see the scenario of drinking to take the edge off, and somehow that spirals out of control. I guess the one scenario I don't see is deliberate, intentional murder/suicide.

Hi All

This is my first post here; I am enjoying reading on this site. I have done as much research into this case as I possibly could from day 1. I drove that road all the time back then and had to drive over the charred spot as well as the 2 miles of skid marks of people veering out of her way that day. It took many weeks for all the skid marks to fade, it was haunting.

I have thought about what may have set off Diane that day. I am sure it was anger, at Daniel, at her brother, at her mother... maybe a lethal combination. Whatever events happened, I am convinced she became suidical and murderous and made a concious decision to end her life and take the children with her, to punish others.

One theory relates to her anger and abandoment issues with her mother. She cut her mother out of her life 27 years ago and never mentioned her to anyone. She got married and didn't invite her mother (though pictures of her with her father exist), had children, yet her mother never met her grandchildren and she deprived her children of their grandmother. That may have been fine when the kids were very small, but they were getting a bit older, 2 and 5. What if the nieces, who were a few years older, were talking about grandma over the weekend, her kids would also be curious. They would not know Diane's issues with this, it would be innocent children speaking. She could have been confronted with an obstacle she could not surmount, how to deal with her own kids asking about her mother. What would she say? She would have to come up with some explaination. It would bring it all back to her. The nieces could have been talking about some great time they had with grandma, or that they were going to see her soon, or anything about her in apositive loving way. This inevitable situation was a ticking time bomb in Diane's life, she knew the day would come when she would have to allow her children the free will to see their grandmother; perhaps she could not face this reality.

Also, Daniel Schuler initially claimed he went to the campsite early Thursday to 'get some fishing in', as he stated publicly in his live 'press conference', which he chose to do rather than keep an arranged interview (his first) with police. However, his ezpass records showed he really showed up Friday, just a couple of hours before Diane and the kids. So where was he? He later acknowledged that he arrived Friday on Larry King. You can't have it both ways. Maybe Diane figured out he was not where he was supposed to be. With their level of communication there is a good chance she never mentioned it to him that she knew, it just fed her anger.

Then there is the conversation with her brother, where she was so out of it she called him Danny. If she thought she was talking to her husband she may have revealed something she didn't want to tell her brother. Who knows what she told him in her then-drunken state of mind... maybe she picked up the fight they were having that morning, maybe she threatened to kill herself and the kids he never wanted anyway. Whatever it was it alarmed her brother enough to take off looking for her. She knew enough to ditch the cell phone and drive north instead of south in case he tried to track the phone, which the police tapes indicate they were trying to do.

Just my thoughts.

:welcome:

When they go through the dental records from 2004 in the HBO show, Jay Schuler reads the symptoms... teeth grinding, jaw pain, broken fillings. This sounds more like stress-related symptoms than dental problems, just like her best friend who says she was moving her jaw back and forth a lot. As any stressed-out person knows, grinding your teeth is very common, as is jaw and face pain.

Hello everybody! My first post, even though I've lurked for a long time, even before joining.
Anyways, this discussion being 36 web pages long, I doubt my theory offers anything new. So, briefly, I'm in the 'drank too much Saturday, misjudged her hangover cure and was stupid drunk in an hour' camp, however that 'theme' has played here.
I would add this caveat: I believe the fascination with this case stems from 2 separate variables. One, it was broad daylight. I mean, talk about 'shining a light' on the issue. One has to think "how the hell???". Secondly, and more important, it goes to our primal sanctity of Motherhood, and what it means I suppose.
Mom's cannot imagine it. Myself, as a man, can't imagine a mother doing that, without her being psychotic, or some other bizarre explanation.
Somebody earlier on this page asked about NY blue laws. Liquor can only be bought at Liquor Stores and Bars in NYS. On Sundays, I believe after noon. But NEVER at a gas station, ever. Only beer at a gas station.
So tragic. I do believe it will remain in the public conscience for a long time, because of the two reasons I mentioned (and of course the death toll).

Hello everybody! My first post, even though I've lurked for a long time, even before joining.
Anyways, this discussion being 36 web pages long, I doubt my theory offers anything new. So, briefly, I'm in the 'drank too much Saturday, misjudged her hangover cure and was stupid drunk in an hour' camp, however that 'theme' has played here.
I would add this caveat: I believe the fascination with this case stems from 2 separate variables. One, it was broad daylight. I mean, talk about 'shining a light' on the issue. One has to think "how the hell???". Secondly, and more important, it goes to our primal sanctity of Motherhood, and what it means I suppose.
Mom's cannot imagine it. Myself, as a man, can't imagine a mother doing that, without her being psychotic, or some other bizarre explanation.
Somebody earlier on this page asked about NY blue laws. Liquor can only be bought at Liquor Stores and Bars in NYS. On Sundays, I believe after noon. But NEVER at a gas station, ever. Only beer at a gas station.
So tragic. I do believe it will remain in the public conscience for a long time, because of the two reasons I mentioned (and of course the death toll).

Welcome, one-eyed Jack. I am in that camp too. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

Why would she stop to buy alcohol if she had some already? Also if she were an alcoholic wouldn't she be aware that she would be unable to purchase it at the gas station on Sunday?

Last question, was her behavior consistent with the BAC of an alcoholic?
What bothers me is this isn't a closet alcoholic sneaking a drink or 2 and driving drunk. This is a person getting positively trashed.
Did I read somewhere she was taking ambien?

Just things I have wondered about.

I think the point is that she didn't use her maiden name. Everyone referred to her as Diane Schuler. I haven't seen a single report that referred to her as Diane Hance.

So to keep that on your voicemail for 7 years makes me :waitasec: . Even if she used to have it that way and "forgot" to change it, I have always had to change mine when I got a new phone, even when I stayed with the same provider. So she would have to deliberately leave her maiden name on the VM.

It could be nothing or it could be the name she used with people Danny didn't know...or know about.

I have any number of friends who use their maiden name at work and use their husband's surname when they are with their children (so that everyone has the same name). One of my sisters does this.

Why would she stop to buy alcohol if she had some already? Also if she were an alcoholic wouldn't she be aware that she would be unable to purchase it at the gas station on Sunday?

What bothers me is this isn't a closet alcoholic sneaking a drink or 2 and driving drunk. This is a person getting positively trashed.
Did I read somewhere she was taking ambien?

Just things I have wondered about.

Interesting idea. Some poster did mention ambien and we know there are cases of people "sleep eating" on ambien. "Sleep drinking" perhaps?

I wasn't being sarcastic or literal...I meant one-liner like a joke. Deelyful obviously wasn't taking up for Diane vs. Daniel. It's not a male vs. female thing...It's a right vs. wrong thing.

No, I meant my own post could be read as sincere or sarcastic. I was trying to be clear that I was not mocking you when I said I saw your point and thanks for the correction.

I have any number of friends who use their maiden name at work and use their husband's surname when they are with their children (so that everyone has the same name). One of my sisters does this.

True. But I still have never seen anyone refer to Diane that way.

So, have all the ladies agreed it was really the husband's fault?

(ducking)

No, I don't blame Daniel at all. Regardless of the way he presents in the doc, which, after watching it way too many times, I'm starting to think he's just one of those guys who likes a wife/mommy and he was really content having her do it all (and she apparently liked that too....), so, they were each where they wanted to be as far as the relationship went IMO. However, it would be interesting to know where he was Thursday...lots of speculation on various sites that cannot be substantiated and I won't repeat. I do believe it was some kind of information she found out or received that triggered her meltdown; and her booze/pot fueled wrong way rage was something of an "oh yeah *advertiser censored**h*le? I'll show you!" Again, JMO.

True. But I still have never seen anyone refer to Diane that way.

Apparently Diane referred to herself as Hance, at least in some contexts.

Her choice, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Her driving behavior went through several phases. She started out appearing sober....that changed to angry, very aggressive driving....then she was throwing up, complaining of blindness or tunnel vision...Lastly, she was apparently in an alcoholic blackout (BAC of 0.19 at death). Her driving was very focused, but she was going against traffic.....If not for the very high BAC (stage right before coma), we would be certain her actions were suicidal.

I don't know if it's possible to conclude scientifically that she was an alcoholic...all we he is the single postmortem BAC and quite a bit of undigested alcohol in her stomach contents.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Her driving behavior went through several phases. She started out appearing sober....that changed to angry, very aggressive driving....then she was throwing up, complaining of blindness or tunnel vision...Lastly, she was apparently in an alcoholic blackout (BAC of 0.19 at death). Her driving was very focused, but she was going against traffic.....If not for the very high BAC (stage right before coma), we would be certain her actions were suicidal.

I don't know if it's possible to conclude scientifically that she was an alcoholic...all we he is the single postmortem BAC and quite a bit of undigested alcohol in her stomach contents.

What I mean is, if my BAC was .19 I would be in different condition than a person that drinks regularly. If she was an alcoholic and had high threshhold for alcohol was this consistent with her behavior? IOW,what may kill an occasional drinker would not affect someone that uses alcohol to maintain.
.19 is not alcohol poisoning or an OTT ridiculously high BAC. It is high but not uber crazy high. Was her impairment at .19 consistent with what it should have been for someone that never drinks or always drinks or???

This may sound stupid but when I go on a trip, I put all my meds in one bottle. I was wondering if she put ambien in with her tylenol or whatever and took one when she was driving. Ambien can make you bonkers and not necessarily sleepy.

What I find baffling is that she would drink to this degree,yet no one (IIRC) has seen her drink to this degree or this way before. IOW, it is one thing to be a closet drinker and drink to maintain,but it is quite another to be a closet drinker to this proportion and get behind the wheel. Seems way off the charts. I understand that people may not have known she was a drinker,but that would make it even more baffling to me because she would then obviously have been doing a fantastic job of covering it up. This behavior is not like that at all.

I don't doubt she took all the substance in on her own-but something about he whole thing just nags at me.
I am not trying to make excuses for her and I have no dog in this fight-I am just trying to reconcile what we know about her and what happened to make some sense.
But perhaps it will never make sense.

Apparently Diane referred to herself as Hance, at least in some contexts.

Her choice, as far as I'm concerned.
Concur and I do it all the time.
I use 2 different last names and interchange them regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong