GUILTY TN - Dana Wilkes, 48, Chattanooga, 9 Nov 2012

oh my goodness, her husband passed away one day after they finally had a memorial service for her!!! sad

oh my goodness, her husband passed away one day after they finally had a memorial service for her!!! sad
I know he had health problems, but I wonder if what ultimately killed him was a broken heart. :(

A jury in the courtroom of Hamilton County Criminal Court Judge Rebecca Stern today found Tony Bigoms not guilty of all charges related to the kidnapping, rape and murder of a prostitute in 2002.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2006/apr/21/Jury-finds-Tony-Bigoms-not-guilty-on-charges-in/

Another: The Defendant, Tony Edward Bigoms, appeals from his conviction by a jury in the Criminal Court for Hamilton County for attempted aggravated sexual battery, a Class C felony. The trial court sentenced the Defendant to six years' incarceration as a Range II, multiple offender.

The Defendant was charged with attempted aggravated rape. At trial, the victim testified that she was fifty-four years old and had been staying at the home of Dorothy Lawrence, the Defendant's aunt, due to her own financial troubles

http://tn.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20090717_0000992.TN.htm/qx
Another irony in this case is that Dorothy Lawrence's funeral was Jan. 17, a day after Bigoms was arrested for Dana's murder. DL was a CNA. I wonder if Tom Wilkes met Bigoms through her?

I hope Bigoms is locked away this time and never again sets foot outside prison walls.

I know he had health problems, but I wonder if what ultimately killed him was a broken heart. :(

from the article

About
seven weeks after that interview, Tom Wilkes died of natural causes.
Before his death, he talked to investigators and identified his wife by
butterfly and Mickey Mouse tattoos on her legs.

I scrolled up to look at other posts after I read this....OMG, poor Tom and such heartache for the families. Yep, bet he did die from a broken heart.

Dana and Tom....together forever
RIP

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...ms-given-4-years-in-corpse-mutilation/267288/

A man already sentenced to life in prison for killing a woman in 2012 will serve an additional four years for dismembering her body, a Hamilton County judge ruled.

Tony Bigoms, 55, was convicted of killing 48-year-old Dana Wilkes and leaving her mutilated body along South Chickamauga Creek...

Hamilton County Judge Barry Steeleman sentenced Bigoms to four years in prison, concurrent with his life sentence. Bigoms won't be eligible for parole for at least 30 years.

Man given new trial in 2012 murder pleads not guilty

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2017/aug/18/man-given-new-trial/444242/

Standing in the same courtroom, facing the same charges, Tony Bigoms once again pleaded not guilty today to murdering Dana Wilkes in 2012 and sawing off her hands and head.

Bigoms, 58, will next appear Nov. 1 in Hamilton County Criminal Court. He remains in custody on a $250,000 bond.

Bigoms was convicted of first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse after a trial in 2014. But the Tennessee Criminal Court of Appeals reversed his judgment in June, citing issues with jury sequestration and the local judge's decision to allow testimony about a different 2006 murder for which Bigoms was acquitted.

Attorney: Hamilton County judge should recuse himself from reversed 2012 homicide case

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2017/nov/03/attorney-judge-should-recuse-himself-reversed/456155/

The Times Free Press could not obtain a copy of those comments Thursday, but Underwood said they indicate Criminal Court Judge Barry Steelman believes Bigoms was guilty. "Therefore, recusal is necessary," he wrote. "[Bigoms] is entitled to a trial at which he is presumed innocent — not one in which he has already been prejudiced by the Court."

Steelman could not be reached for comment Thursday. Neither could the spokeswoman at the Hamilton County District Attorney's Office. But prosecutors are contesting the recusal, and Steelman said he would take the matter under advisement after a hearing Wednesday. The next court date is Dec. 14.

Judge says he isn't recusing himself from overturned 2012 murder case

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2017/dec/16/judge-says-he-isnt-recusing-himself-overturne/459335/

Defense attorneys claimed Criminal Court Judge Barry Steelman's description of Bigoms' crimes as "barbaric" and "heinous" showed he was too biased from the proof at Bigoms' first trial to preside over the new one.

In a motion filed Wednesday, Steelman said he doesn't need to reassign the case to another judge. He said he made those comments after the jury heard numerous days of proof and returned guilty verdicts. Steelman was, in essence, approving the jury's verdict, he said.

Bigoms' public defender, Jay Underwood, declined to comment Friday on Steelman's order. Underwood could appeal the order in the middle of proceedings or wait until afterward.

Bigoms' new trial is scheduled for July 24.

A second trial begins on Tuesday for Tony Bigoms, the man convicted in 2014 for murdering and dismembering a woman.
upload_2019-9-10_7-13-34.jpeg
A passerby found Dana Wilkes' mutilated body along South Chickamauga Creek on November 25th, 2012. An autopsy revealed her head and hands had been removed with some kind of tool. Earlier, her Jeep had been found nearby with blood splatter inside. Wilkes had been missing for several weeks.

An investigation revealed some of Tony Bigoms' DNA mixed with blood on her bra.

A jury convicted Bigoms of Wilkes' murder in 2014.

Hamilton County Criminal Court Judge Barry Steelman sentenced Bigoms to the maximum four years in prison, to be served concurrently with his life sentence.

A year later, Bigom's attorney asked for a new trial, citing issues with the evidence and the sequestration of the jury.

The Tennessee Court of Appeals granted the request. In the ruling the court pointed out improper behavior among some jurors:
New trial begins Tuesday for Chattanooga man convicted of murder, dismemberment

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back