17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-20/george-zimmerman-bail-hearing/54423928/1
Safety, location at issue if Zimmerman is released on bond

O'Mara said he would ask for assistance from law enforcement
. Kim Cannaday, a spokeswoman for the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, said she couldn't comment on what security procedures will be in place for Zimmerman if he is released. The sheriff's office does have the ability to monitor defendants outside the county if a judge requests a GPS monitor to be used as a condition of release.

"I want him to be safe," O'Mara said. "I want him to get to his trial so that a judge or jury, or the prosecutor and I, can figure out a way to resolve this."

"There is no mechanism in which a defendant is entitled to an around-the-clock detail," Grieco said. "The irony is that the only safe place for him, considering the current atmosphere surrounding the case, is protective custody within the jail system."

Just an FYI....Security Alert....

be very careful when looking for articles to post...I accidently opened a link last night from CS Monitor site and got a trojan virus...Thank Goodness for symantec...it caught it almost immediately...the above site and Global Christian I believe to be bad sites given viruses to anyone who clicks on it...

So just a word of advice to stay away from those links...

Mods, hope it's okay to warn about the above....:maddening:

I think we would all be better off to get rid of SYG and just tweak the previously existing laws. The 'castle' law is well entrenched in our legal system and self defense laws were doing pretty darned good. There were very few cases that justified any changes in those laws and for those few, a little tweaking to the old laws would have done.

This whole new law that added an entirely new concept of 'no retreat' or 'shoot first' is making our country more dangerous and less civil. The practical effect that some violent deaths are not being fully investigated or going through the process to define who was at fault scares me.

IMO, JMO, etc

And yet, according to the link you just quoted, what Zimmerman experienced would have been classified as a temporary detention, and not an arrest.

That is exactly what happened to Zimmerman - in fact, it was even referred to specifically as "investigative detention" by Sanford PD. The line for me is, if Zimmerman had decided at any point that he no longer wanted to cooperate and wanted to leave, could they have held him against his will? The language of the statement from Sanford's PD chief, IMO, indicates no.

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/Zimmerman_Martin_shooting.pdf

So once Zimmerman invoked SYG, which it appears he did immediately at the scene of the crime, it seems they didn't feel they had much if any authority to do anything with regard to detaining him against his will. Whether the investigators believed him or not (and it doesn't appear they did), at that point it looks like they were just getting the story straight and filling out paperwork. I think Zimmerman, feeling nice and safe once had wrapped himself in SYG, was perfectly happy to tell his side of the story, wherever they wanted him to tell it.

I believe this statute should be taken out of the street..Leave the 'castle' doctrine part in the home but definately out of the streets..or anyone who does use this statute and appears ambiguious, they should go before a judge and let them decide, not just dismissed at the police level...I believe this law is being misused and abused and gives the vigilante type attitude an easy out, like what I believe is really going on here...I only hope the words of GZ will be used against him, the excited utterances will be very hard to him to explain away...Mr. Zimmerman, what did you mean when you said, these *advertiser censored**holes always get away? Mr. Zimmerman, what did you mean by this kid is up to no good, on drugs or something? Where did you get that information...or something like that..he can't explain it without it appearing malicious or vigilantelike...

I have a question...Since GZ had used the SYG defense to the police, wouldn't that give him immunity, right off the bat? That he could freely speak to the police without having ramifications? Or does that change once he's arrested and anything he said can and will be held against him???

TIA...

"Normally, the conditions are that you stay local. I think that is going to be difficult," O'Mara said in an interview. "I think nobody would deny the fact that if George Zimmerman were walking down the street today, he would be at risk. That is a reality."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...28/1?AID=4992781&PID=4169795&SID=aepwlifw1yer

All he was trying to do was make the streets safer to walk for everyone by getting rid of another drug using *advertiser censored***** and look what happened.

Fasten your seatbelts.

Today should be a very interesting day.

It's only 4:00 a.m. here.

Is the hearing starting at 9:00 a.m. EST?

I think the judge will deny bond. :)

Zimmerman is charged with the high count of second-degree murder, depraved indifference & conscious disregard for human life. Of an unarmed minor. And he used a gun. If he gets out on bond he could easily get another gun to harm himself or others, especially when facing a long prison term if convicted.

The state will no doubt bring evidence to keep him in custody, like the autopsy, which may show Trayvon was shot from a distance. Or was shot in the back. Which would disprove self-defense, making his conduct extremely dangerous to the public and why he should remain incarcerated. This will be interesting!

:moo: :moo:

Working on a new thread, will be closing this one in a few...

Ok... Closing thread in 1 minute! Please continue here...

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7808505#post7808505"]17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #28 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member