TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
George Thomas Trial Begins

Previous trial threads:
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11

Watch live here:Or here:
http://www.wate.com/global/Category.asp?c=173163

(These are unedited video feeds of the trial, likely to contain graphic testimony, images, and descriptions of a violent crime. Please be advised.)
Full Coverage and Background info:Videos:
Twitter links:
Jamie Satterfield - Knoxville News Sentinel:
http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

WBIR:
http://twitter.com/wbirymartinez

WATE:
http://twitter.com/gpatterson12
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Names for reference:
Victims:
Chris Newsom
Channon Christian

Judge:
Richard Baumgartner

Attorneys for Prosecution:
Takisha Fitzgerald, AKA "TK"
Leland Price

Defense attorneys:
Thomas Dillard
Stephen Johnson

Parents:
Hugh and Mary Newsom
Gary and Deena Christian

Muffet, I apologize for the messy copy and past....my copy and past and WS don't get along.

I'm having work done on my house tomorrow, so it will be hit and miss if I get on here at all.

Darn I will be away till afternoon tomorrow. Maybe that's a good thing I am getting to much anxiety from this trial, I can't even imagine what I will be like when VC's trial comes up. I am counting on this jury to really look at how horrible these two young adults were tortured and there is no way GT could not have seen, heard and known what was happening, lets pray that makes him just as guilty.

As far as I'm concerned, he has no alibi during the time of Channon and Chris' murders. Daphne saw him on Sunday, just hanging out rolling a blunt as usual. Not a care in the world. G.T. even stated he could hear Daphne and Davidson talking in the bedroom where Channon had been, but couldn't see them. So how could he not have heard what was going on in that bedroom when Channon was in there? I forget what day Ethel said she saw George walking down the street, but that shows he wasn't forced to stay in that house. Too bad Ethel has a history of lying; her testimony could be viewed as worthless by the jury.

I just hope the jurors at least convict him of facilitation.

As far as I'm concerned, he has no alibi during the time of Channon and Chris' murders. Daphne saw him on Sunday, just hanging out rolling a blunt as usual. Not a care in the world. G.T. even stated he could hear Daphne and Davidson talking in the bedroom where Channon had been, but couldn't see them. So how could he not have heard what was going on in that bedroom when Channon was in there? I forget what day Ethel said she saw George walking down the street, but that shows he wasn't forced to stay in that house. Too bad Ethel has a history of lying; her testimony could be viewed as worthless by the jury.

I just hope the jurors at least convict him of facilitation.

Exactly. Just like VC who consistently describes hearing LD and LC back in the br even when they were speaking in hushed tones. :rolleyes: And GT not free to leave? GT better tell that to someone else, jury's not gonna buy it either altho that's probably the only thing 'old Ethel' got right.

:parrot:

Good mornings, all. Court is being seated now. :)

The judge wants to resolve the issue about possession - what qualifies, apparently with regard to the SUV. (eta: this turned out not to be the case.... see below.)

He says that after the weekend of study, they think it means "control"

There is actual possession and constructive possession.

He defines the latter as the ability to use something ...

Price is pretty upset. All they should have to do is have the ability to control something... the law doesn't require

He doesn't want the judge to have any phrase about "possession" in the charge.

OK, now the judge showed him that it was only going to be in a certain place, and Price is all abashed, saying oh, ok, I got all excited over nothing. lol

Now going over the motion for judgment for acquittal. He reviewed it over the weekend. Now says he wants to hear what the state has to say. Price answers that the evidence is that Chris and Channon were clearly victimized (gives summary of how).

Says the question of course is criminal responsibility.

There is no evidence that he participated, but there is evidence that he knew what they were planning to do. He stayed in the house, and there is no evidence that he left.

He fled to KY, which can lead to an inference of guilt.

He remained in contact and untited with Cobbins.

So he was crimimally responsible.

Judge asks why they're charging him with 1st degree murder.. premeditated.

Price says it's because he knew when he heard the call that the carjacked people would be killed ... and he knew that Chris was being taken out to be killed.

Judge reluctantly says ok...

Dillard up now strongly disagreeing... says the law requires active participation - not simply being there.

Says also there's no evidence that he was there when Channon was killed.

Disses Ethyl's testimony... but even she says she saw him outside walking...

"Seeing them is not the same as participating. He was there, but did not participate, so 1st degree murder dpesnt cut it."

Judge sighing a lot... says he's listened to the evidence in the case many times... it's shocking to hear...
This case is certainly different from Cobbins and Davidson..
There is no forensic evidence...
But there is no question that he was there and aware of what was going on...
No question he was aware of what they were going to do (carjack) befire the fact, and could have left...

The question is whether he participated.

So. He says he chooses to reserve judgment on the motion for acquittal for a later time... wants to study and consult more. Wants to see what the closing args say and what jury says.

Then he'll make the decision.

NOw he;s addressing GT.

Reminding GT of their discussion about his options as to testifying. Rehashing of the usual advice, warnings, etc...

GT says he's chosen to waive the right to testify.

Dillard moves to have the judge move on motion for acquittal... my head spins... judge says no, he's reserving judgment...

Says also he doesn't want to call the jury in just to tell them the defense rests... so wants to get all business and the charge outta the way now, so they are ready to charge them when they are seated...

Judge joking complains at J Miles on the audience that "you had to work to find a worse photo to put in the paper saturday... back and forth...

OK, they're taking a break, I think to polish then print the charges. I'm not sure how long it will be.

At least judge shows he has a sense of humor... w regard to the unflattering photo saying, "I'm tired, but not that tired.... good Lord!!" What a character he is lol. Break, time to make :coffee:

At least judge shows he has a sense of humor... w regard to the unflattering photo saying, "I'm tired, but not that tired.... good Lord!!" What a character he is lol. Break, time to make :coffee:

Good morning, darlin. :hug:

That was funny. He was all over that guy, and everyone was laughing. I forgot what I heard of the guy's answers, but he was surprisingly quick on his feet and funny too.

Good morning everyone! Stopping in real quick while waiting for workers to show up.

Hey suzi... guess "old boy" (GT) decided he didn't want anyone asking how it is he can hear some things but not others... :waitasec:

Hey suzi... guess "old boy" (GT) decided he didn't want anyone asking how it is he can hear some things but not others... :waitasec:

I think it's called selective hearing. An affliction usually found in spouses and old farts. lol.

These are such atrocious, agregious crimes that even to sit idly by and do nothing just offends the deepest sensibilitiies and the most basic sense of human dignity... how the jury could help but render in part an emotional verdict under these kind of circumstances is difficult to say.

Good morning, Suzi!

Funny how a seemingly intelligent person can be so unable to figure out how to load a dish in a dishwasher or a roll of bathroom tissue, isn't it? :crazy:

Returning to court, judge says when jury comes back defense will rest, will hear arguing of charges... bringing jury back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member